Forum › A Scummy Gap Student With a Hard Life Calls Upon a Lady of the Night discussion

joined May 24, 2019

It is interesting how many people have come out of the woodwork to actually defend and outright try to excuse the main character. "Oh, the sister set up 90% of the blackmail herself", as if that is not an utterly insane position to have. Or concocting fanfiction scenarios where the sister is not bothered and is almost depicted as happy to be giving money to her "cute baby sister". (Amusingly, although there is at least one poster here who usually has issues with such fanfictional interpretations, they apparently do not have a problem if the particular fanfics are feeding into their own narrative.)

Figures that with a nick like UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins you'd be a troll. Makino never had any intention to snitch on anyone, much less blackmail. This is textual fact. This is canon. Her sister, who very plainly loves Makino, offered a bribe and Makino accepted because, as in the Chinese saying somebody quoted, it was pie from the sky. Denying this is just trolling. And the personal attacks don't make it any better. Who are you calling insane? Who feeds fanfics to their narrative? If you have personal grudges against Blastaar or whoever, keep them to yourself. Your trolling is almost as dumb as your nick.

Bois-Guilbert, is that you?

Nope, Bois-Guilbert was a cool bad guy. This is just a garden-variety troll.

last edited at Feb 28, 2022 11:35AM

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

dang, this was not what I expected to see in the comments. and here I was being overwhelmed by cuteness, from both the characters and the author

well I guess I'll throw in my two cents. MC just thought "I can get paid to do something I was gonna do anyway? sweet!" and took it. "Blackmail" honestly didn't even cross my mind, since it was kinda thrust at her one-sidedly. It's more like the sister is offering a bribe, and MC sees no reason to correct her overly hasty assumptions and tell her that it's not needed.

You put my thoughts about it well. After reading the comments I felt off about all the blackmail discussion and didn't really know why I felt that way and it is because I also saw it more as a bribe than straight up blackmail. Still thought it was the scummiest thing she's done of course (taking advantage of the situation just for some more prostitution money), but not to the extent of using a sibling's sexuality as blackmail material.

Pat%20dixon3
joined Nov 6, 2021

Oof I'm very very confused of their relationship, what exactly is this relationship? Like, they are not girlfriends or are they? What the fck is going on?

From what I can gather, Makino knows Reina is a lesbian, but their parents don't know(and probably won't approve), which is why Reina passes her girlfriend off as a boy and becomes terrified when Makino openly discusses her "boyfriend's" gender.

ah right, I didn't even catch that part, guess weed and vodka ain't that good for following the story. I kinda like the main character, refreshing to see a douchebag yuri* protagonist (the huge disconnect between her cuteness and personality is pretty funny), but what is her relationship with Sato-chan? I don't really get the impression that Sato is interested in her at all.

last edited at Feb 21, 2022 10:59PM

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

EDIT: Actually, the other person first says, “Anything?” Case in point, among many other possible examples:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/secret_of_the_princess_ch01#5

Wow.
I thought I had read all of Morinaga's manga series in Dynasty... but somehow I failed to notice this one. And the funniest thing is that a quick search revealed that it has an official paperback release by Seven Seas, so it's not like it's an obscure one or sumthing! O_o
Anyhoo, thanks for linking to it. Leaving aside that it made me discover a new series, it's an excellent reference for the thread. Lo and behold, Scummy-chan is not the only one: other people as well, when told "I'll do anything!" by somebody who needs a favor, will take the chance to ask for something. It's not a subtle point or anything: when they offer you ANYTHING, you ask for SOMETHING. Most people do it like that. Wonder why it's such a difficult concept to grasp for some guys.
And you know what's interesting as well? I checked the thread for SotP and nobody, at the time, thought it scandalous that Miu "blackmailed" Fujiwara into going out with her. Everyone seemed to think it's perfectly natural to jump on a chance that they offer you on a platter. If someone freely gives you the opportunity to ask for anything, hey, girl, just go ahead and say what you want... right?!? At least, that's what seemed to be taken as common sense nine years ago. Those were the days.
Today, had the situation been a little different, had Scummy-chan done like Miu (that is, instead of ask for cash, ask some person to be her lover), I'm guessing that the torch and pitchfork mob would be screaming RAPE with all their lungs.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

EDIT: Actually, the other person first says, “Anything?” Case in point, among many other possible examples:

Wow.
I thought I had read all of Morinaga's manga series in Dynasty... but somehow I failed to notice this one. And the funniest thing is that a quick search revealed that it has an official paperback release by Seven Seas, so it's not like it's an obscure one or sumthing! O_o
Anyhoo, thanks for linking to it. Leaving aside that it made me discover a new series, it's an excellent reference for the thread. Lo and behold, Scummy-chan is not the only one: other people as well, when told "I'll do anything!" by somebody who needs a favor, will take the chance to ask for something. It's not a subtle point or anything: when they offer you ANYTHING, you ask for SOMETHING. Most people do it like that. Wonder why it's such a difficult concept to grasp for some guys.
And you know what's interesting as well? I checked the thread for SotP and nobody, at the time, thought it scandalous that Miu "blackmailed" Fujiwara into going out with her. Everyone seemed to think it's perfectly natural to jump on a chance that they offer you on a platter. If someone freely gives you the opportunity to ask for anything, hey, girl, just go ahead and say what you want... right?!? At least, that's what seemed to be taken as common sense nine years ago. Those were the days.
Today, had the situation been a little different, had Scummy-chan done like Miu (that is, instead of ask for cash, ask some person to be her lover), I'm guessing that the torch and pitchfork mob would be screaming RAPE with all their lungs.

Secret of the Princess is my favorite Morinaga Milk series. I wouldn't even say it's the best, but it's my personal favorite. (Among many other parts of the story, I love the interplay between the two "princes," Fujiwara and Hirosawa.)

It's definitely one of that yuri sub-genre I've mentioned elsewhere--"Benign Blackmail"--where the principals get so into each other that they basically forget that their relationship started with a form of "coercion": this Morinaga one, Can't Defy the Lonely Girl, Even If It Was Just Once I Regret It, That Time I Was Blackmailed By the Class Green Tea Bitch.

You're right--the equivalent behavior these days gets a very different reception from the yuri morals committee. There are some mitigating circumstances that make some difference, though--Miu's blackmail is not for sex, but just to get experience practicing dating, and Fujiwara, who is a "reluctant prince" type, welcomes the relationship in order to fend off her many girls-school fans. The power balance between the mousy Miu and the tall, beautiful school idol never feels like Fujiwara is actually doing anything she doesn't want to do.

Even if Miu pulled the trigger on her threat (which she would never do), the consequences of breaking the principal's vase would only be a one-time scolding for Fujiwara, while with Makino the threat (which to be sure she never actually makes) of revealing her sister's sexuality would certainly lead to dire long-term consequences from their controlling asshole parents.

I don't think readers 9 years ago thought that blackmail or coercion in itself was no big deal, but people seemed to more easily accept that an enabling premise in a story, especially a comedic one, isn't the same thing as endorsing behavior in real life.

last edited at Feb 25, 2022 2:08PM

Png-clipart-mega-man-x-mega-man-zero-2-mega-man-zero-collection-mega-man-bass-others-miscellaneous-video-game
joined Dec 18, 2021

Also, being offered a bribe and accepting is not the same as blackmailing.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Wow.
I thought I had read all of Morinaga's manga series in Dynasty...

I read Secret of the Princess many years ago -- but I had completely forgotten how they made a deal to go out as a manner of hush payment.

In a court of justice, in the case of Angry Readers vs. Makino, the linked page would be Exhibit A of the defense, and Morinaga-sensei the first expert called as a witness to explain why this is ok for the heroine of a yuri comedy.

last edited at Feb 26, 2022 12:33AM

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

Do it, ugly girl

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

Thanks for the translation.
But wow did that chapter go by fast.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Thanks for the translation.
But wow did that chapter go by fast.

word!

Contains 100% pure fluff. Very soothing.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I believe one of the main jokes of the story is precisely that the mc sees herself as a "scumbag" (as shown in scenes where, after being harshly scolded by her strict parents, she mutters angrily to herself "Yes, yes, I'm a scumbag, I get it!") while in fact she's one of the most pure-hearted characters to ever grace a yuri manga.

These are my very own words... and I'm here to say that I STAND BY THEM.

Thank you.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I also felt this chapter went by unusually fast lol. Super sweet

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

I believe one of the main jokes of the story is precisely that the mc sees herself as a "scumbag" (as shown in scenes where, after being harshly scolded by her strict parents, she mutters angrily to herself "Yes, yes, I'm a scumbag, I get it!") while in fact she's one of the most pure-hearted characters to ever grace a yuri manga.

These are my very own words... and I'm here to say that I STAND BY THEM.

Thank you.

Scummy: I just wanna cuddle with my waifu desu"

DaSupremeXtream
Yatsude%202-min
joined Jul 11, 2019

Looks like they're gonna bang. Thought they'd wait it out since MC likes to go slow but I guess not

Screenshot%2006-15-2022%2021.27.00
joined Mar 25, 2021

Damn wtf is happening, theyre already gonna have seggs??

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

If she wasn't blackmailing her sister, she could tell her her love troubles. she needs to find a part-time job and confess to Maron

Pat%20dixon3
joined Nov 6, 2021

Damn, I'm even more confused by this last chapter. Is it a cultural thing? is prostitution that different in Japan? I know like Geisha's are not really prostitutes for sex, but Sato is "lady of the night", are they different as well? Is the main character really oblivious that Sato is nice to her because she is a prostitute/"pay for gay"?

Get the feeling the main character is after more than just satisfying her lust, though I guess it could just be she is just after fun with person that looks like her favorite anime character or whatever. Can't see how this will end well if she is serious about her "love".

Also Sato said she had a clear goal in mind, doubt the main character fits that goal in any way except for her money. I dunno in my culture wasting money is like worse than sin lol. Don't get this perplexing relationship at all.

last edited at Mar 10, 2022 8:02PM

joined Nov 21, 2018

I can talk about prostitution in Japan if necessary (I did a lot of research for a college paper about it) but within the scope of this chapter, it seems that Makino's package is mostly for them to spend the night sleeping together. Most of the time, the package will be priced for time spent, so overnight is naturally going to be more expensive than any simple date course because it means Sato/Maron can't see any other clients that night. However, it doesn't seem that sex is on the menu; Maron also says she isn't going to undress when she offers to take off Makino's clothes.

Makino might unironically spend less money on a shorter course that includes sex than an overnight sleeping one, but she might not be ready for it considering she just had her first kiss.

Edit: It also occurs to me that we haven't specifically seen if Maron works for a lesbian-only brothel or one that has more sexual offerings at all, though it is implied by Makino calling it a "health delivery" course. That would usually be a heterosexual call girl kind of service.

last edited at Mar 10, 2022 9:11PM

Png-clipart-mega-man-x-mega-man-zero-2-mega-man-zero-collection-mega-man-bass-others-miscellaneous-video-game
joined Dec 18, 2021

I'm fed up with these «courses» to hire a ho to do every single thing under the sky except what a ho is by def supposed to do.
Isn't there a «course» to, you know, fuck??
Someone introduce Makino to Asumi-chan, for Asumi to give her the address of her brothel. That's one ok brothel, nothing like Maron's.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Possibly, with Makino taking it slow and working her way up to that.

OTOH not all sex work involves outright sex, e.g. erotic massage. Sometimes that's 'wink wink' but often a man won't get more than a handjob.

And "compensated dating" in Japan, or "sugar babies" in the West, or bar girls in various places, are sometimes 'just' about companionship, with sex being not offered at all or being an extra down the road, requiring more money and/or the girl being more comfortable with the client.

Evie3
joined Mar 10, 2022

Edit: It also occurs to me that we haven't specifically seen if Maron works for a lesbian-only brothel or one that has more sexual offerings at all, though it is implied by Makino calling it a "health delivery" course. That would usually be a heterosexual call girl kind of service.

in chapter 1 the ad Makino clicks on is "Delivery health for girls only" and then later Maron says she's from Lesbian Delivery.

also, i can't help but wonder if Makino's sister is in a similar situation because i recall Maron mentioning her older sister works for the health delivery place too. she should be honest with her sister.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

LUL people getting righteous about blackmail. She's scummy people.

This package is great because it could easily escalate to sex, and then she could get more money. Probably not from our MC, but other clients.

Pat%20dixon3
joined Nov 6, 2021

I can talk about prostitution in Japan if necessary (I did a lot of research for a college paper about it) but within the scope of this chapter, it seems that Makino's package is mostly for them to spend the night sleeping together. Most of the time, the package will be priced for time spent, so overnight is naturally going to be more expensive than any simple date course because it means Sato/Maron can't see any other clients that night. However, it doesn't seem that sex is on the menu; Maron also says she isn't going to undress when she offers to take off Makino's clothes.

Makino might unironically spend less money on a shorter course that includes sex than an overnight sleeping one, but she might not be ready for it considering she just had her first kiss.

Hmm thanks think I'm starting to get it, so she is really only after the prostitution "packages" and is not really after a relationship with Sato, her obsession comes solely from Sato looking like her anime waifu thingie.

So is this how prostitution works in Japan? Seems very convoluted, probably a lot better than the human trafficking we got here, but still it's wierd.

last edited at Mar 12, 2022 9:48AM

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

I'm fed up with these «courses» to hire a ho to do every single thing under the sky except what a ho is by def supposed to do.
Someone introduce Makino to Asumi-chan, for Asumi to give her the address of her brothel. That's one ok brothel, nothing like Maron's.

Yes, there's a course to fuck. I'm not sure why the existence of other options makes you so furious. Strange as it may sound, some people aren't obsessed with sex or desperate to have it.

On a related note, your use of "ho" isn't very endearing.

joined Mar 24, 2021

Did I get double pranked? It seems like just a normal chapter…

To reply you must either login or sign up.