Forum › Looking Up to Magical Girls discussion

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

Hoo boy, here we go. I’m just guessing right now, but this seems like the perfect time for the heroes and villains to get utterly trounced by what I’m going to refer to as Baiser Unbound, discover the treachery of the mascots, put their differences aside, and combine their powers to save Utena (which will be fitting as she has, in a sense, rescued them by allowing them to discover their true selves).

I have to admit, I had a lot of trouble parsing what was happening in this chapter, but it was pretty cool! I hope Utena gets a happy ending, though...

Same here. Something about the art made it hard to figure out who was fighting who, and who was winning. The broad strokes of this story are pretty cool though

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Syapaaye posted:

Is this really the end? This chapter feels a bit rushed for me.

No. It's ending, but it's clearly not the last chapter yet.

As for me. Whatever it's Utena's repressed desires or something else that mascot planted in her (why only Utena has it?), I agree that magical girls and Enormeeta will join forces to defeat and rescue Utena.

Sylent-M posted:

We’ve yet to see Loco & Leber’s La Veritas

I think fighting Utena could actually be perfect moment for them to unlock it in order to save her and also wholly accept themselves. If the reason Utena went out of control is her denial of her true nature, it could also serve as a way to help her accept it. I also agree, or at least hope, that once the fight will end, at least Utena's identity will be finally revealed which most likely will lead to discovery of mascots' betrayal and last final battle against them, but after that I don't really see this series continuing. I think Utena being rescued by the very magical girls she admired would be very fitting way to end it.

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Did Magenta even get a La Veritas form? Her outfit doesn't look any different to me. I'm thinking she just used up a massive portion of her power to restore her teammates. Dang, the next chapter can't come soon enough!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

The poor TV hosts... :D

That's a lot of stars...

Azul has found love. :D

And Baiser goes... La Verita? Or something entirely else?

Chiyo
joined Dec 21, 2021

The fact that stop wearing panties is a super strong power-up in this series is crazy

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

We are at the Endgame now...

C0947de7-7a05-45f6-b936-7324bb0fa409
joined May 18, 2019

Bro I'm crying, they rlly shared an emotional panel on having no pants

Blue_izumi_hair_glasses
joined Aug 1, 2020

This manga is such a ride!

I agree that this chapter was a bit hard to follow, but it's so pretty!

And Baiser-chan going full-on Big Bad is an interesting turn, though I don't think it's all on her. It's like others have said Utena-chan hasn't accepted her horny yet, and it lead to this! I hope she gets rescued in a big team-up!

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

Of course her final form is just being straight up naked lol. I am betting the pink haird magical girl will be the one to save her and the ship will finally sail.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

You can only be at your most honest without pants.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

mg1342mg posted:

This is why they're my favorite characters, I love these two so much ~ wait, I just realized, they could just quit right now and be happy together hahaha

Sshot-8
joined Oct 25, 2011

Yup. The most important thing to all of us, as we face the world without pants, is acquiring pants.

joined Sep 11, 2019

Why we gotta wait for the next one aaaaaaaa

Anime%20girl%20bong%20small
joined Jan 1, 2022

I don't think the thing inside her is anything other than her own desires. I think the truth in this series has always been that while Utena does feel admiration towards the magical girls, her lust towards them has always been stronger, so trying to let admiration win and accept her defeat when she still has the chance to molest them would obviously end up like this. A team-up against her is entirely possible, but this series has always been very pro- Utena letting loose, so I'd be surprised if this new transformation is treated as being totally a bad thing, and I'd be SHOCKED if she ends up as less of a degenerate after this battle.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Kanelel posted:

A team-up against her is entirely possible, but this series has always been very pro- Utena letting loose, so I'd be surprised if this new transformation is treated as being totally a bad thing, and I'd be SHOCKED if she ends up as less of a degenerate after this battle.

While I do agree with that, since it's clear that series has some heavy BDSM themes and symbolism, I think while Utena is clearly a sadist, it's possible what happened to her is example when you go too far. Utena most likely need to accept that she's not that pure, innocent girl that can't hurt a fly. The series started with her denying that part of herself, but slowly and surely she kept growing more and more comfortable with it. I think the reason she went out of control is that, she thinks that once she'll be defeated, everything will go back to normal as if this whole thing never happened and her inner sadist is afraid of being repressed again. So while Utena will be defeated, she'll ultimately learn that it's core part of her and she can't simply try to suppress it again. Basically it'll be about learning where the line of healthy amount of BDSM lies. Or so I think anyway.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Well ladies and gentlemen, this is why it's important to set a safe word before engaging in the act, now she's just set loose and no one can stop her....maybe.

last edited at Feb 24, 2022 6:25PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Kanelel posted:

A team-up against her is entirely possible, but this series has always been very pro- Utena letting loose, so I'd be surprised if this new transformation is treated as being totally a bad thing, and I'd be SHOCKED if she ends up as less of a degenerate after this battle.

While I do agree with that, since it's clear that series has some heavy BDSM themes and symbolism, I think while Utena is clearly a sadist, it's possible what happened to her is example when you go too far. Utena most likely need to accept that she's not that pure, innocent girl that can't hurt a fly. The series started with her denying that part of herself, but slowly and surely she kept growing more and more comfortable with it. I think the reason she went out of control is that, she thinks that once she'll be defeated, everything will go back to normal as if this whole thing never happened and her inner sadist is afraid of being repressed again. So while Utena will be defeated, she'll ultimately learn that it's core part of her and she can't simply try to suppress it again. Basically it'll be about learning where the line of healthy amount of BDSM lies. Or so I think anyway.

I feel that the reason she wanted to be defeated is less going back to normal and more that she simply saw this as the proper way for a magical girl story to end after all of the Tres Magia got their La Verita power ups. Which does in the end, of course, still mean pushing down a big more sadistic part of her own desires. But for a slightly different reason, which may also mean a possible different route for the story to take if she can still remain in control after this awakening.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

luinthoron posted:

I feel that the reason she wanted to be defeated is less going back to normal and more that she simply saw this as the proper way for a magical girl story to end after all of the Tres Magia got their La Verita power ups.

Och, I mean, it's both. Of course she sees it as a proper way to end it, since she can't imagine magical girls not winning, but she also was blackmailed to do it and being defeated in her mind means being finally set free from her roll as the villain. Something she's not willing to admit, or more likely, isn't aware of is that her approach and goal changed through out the series.

At first she was thrilled to become a magical girl, cos she idolizes them so much. Idea of becoming their antagonist never even crossed her mind. But she instead was blackmailed to become a villain of the story and defeat the very magical girls she looks up to. So reluctantly at first she fought them not knowing what she's doing, but by doing so, she realized she possesses a sadistic side that wants her to see magical girls suffer, but her admiring side was still strong and believed that no matter what she does to magical girls, they'll never give up and win against her in the end.

As time passed, she got better and better at channeling her sadistic side when putting on a act in front of magical girls and she slowly, but surely started to accept her sadistic desires more and more, but never once she crossed the line. Despite all this, she always believed that it won't last forever and eventually magical girls will overcome all the obstacles she throws at them and defeat her just like always. She started to take genuine joy in torturing them, but she also saw it as means to test them and make them grow stronger. Her goal changed from just doing what she was told and hoping she'll be rescued fast, to actively wanting to fight magical girls and seeing how far they'll grow and how much they'll be able to endure, before her inevitable defeat.

So now we get to present time, where all the magical girls grown much stronger, learned to accept themselves and all 3 of them unlocked La Verita. For Utena who admires those magical girls, that couldn't be more perfect ending. In her mind it all started because she was blackmailed to do it and even if somewhere along the line she learned to enjoy it, she always knew it'll end someday and then hopefully she'll be set free of the blackmail and return back to being just able to admire her magical girls. But that's her admiring side, her sadistic side doesn't want to end it yet and wants to continue torturing them. She was able to balance herself, because she was able to justify her actions, but now that that justification ran its natural course, all that's left is pure sadism, which while becoming more comfortable with, Utena is still yet to fully accept and embrace, hence why it was able to overtake her (I assume since their magic power clearly works on their desires, what we saw was sorta a manifestation of Utena's sadism, she is still unconsciously rejecting).

Or idk, I'm overthinking it and it's just something Mascots planted in her, she's the chosen one of the darkness or whatever else crazy thing author came up with.

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

Are we sure that Venalita is a guy and not a misstranslation? I am not saying it for bad, it's just all the extra characters had been woman, even the two reporters of the last chapter or when people is running because Enormeeta attacks, nor even the people at Loco concert forced by Leber, all of them are women, so it kinda feels weird that having no man in vision, one of the main characters is.
Just a random thought after re-reading this for the fifth time.

joined Jun 9, 2018

Fuck!!! Baisar turned into one of those dyke/futa type demon!!!!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I just checked out of curiosity and the raw of the next chapter came today exactly... and... You know I don't like spoilers but that was wild, full on hentai stuff and not sure why but there seems to be one panel where they even just forgot? to censor lo/ saved the page just in case it changes later, but compared to the rest of the things going on, that's a minor thing... AMAZING but also very hardcore.

Edit: oh wait they didn't forgot, they're just pretending is something else...right I believe you lol

Also glad it doesn't seem to be ending soon with the new twist.

last edited at Mar 18, 2022 3:29PM

Hikamaru%20(1)
joined Feb 5, 2020

Seems like this manga just got licensed by J-novel so a English print release may come in a couple years

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

I would really like to see a physical release in English. Apparently J-Novel is doing their own translation as opposed to using whatever Coolmic was doing.

joined May 29, 2021

I can’t tell if this is speedrunning a conclusion or starting a new arc.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

who the hell indeed??

To reply you must either login or sign up.