Forum › Living with My Brother's Wife. discussion

joined Feb 21, 2019

lol credit page... but also ;___;

last edited at Dec 23, 2021 9:04AM

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

Senpai-kun is "sentimental" by his own admission, and he'll take his feelings too seriously, work himself up, then eventually crash and burn. The only way Shino temporarily dates him will be if she's distracting herself from something big.

Means-to-an-End-kun's plot didn't come out of nowhere considering his changing awkwardness and hyper-awareness of 'Taishi's little sister'. It was always there. It bugged me more that the chapter felt detached from the narrative - it didn't immediately tie the new definite issue to either of main character's own agency, and we don't have a major conflict established for this arc for it to tie into.

The main tension relaxed a lot, and we have so much angst, friends, buildup, and multiple conflicts already pre-assembled and waiting for Shino and Nozomi... and no idea what is going to start winding up or even what will have payoffs later.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Nozomi still has a long way to go, but she's at least talking about this stuff now, she's made a lot of progress. It's good that Heidi has taken this ''lets be positive'' role in her life, it feels like she was really missing that element. Also, you can have a sip of alcohol here and there Shino, stop being such a stick in the mud :P

last edited at Jan 16, 2022 9:59AM

joined Apr 7, 2016

I reread the last few chapters, and I have to say that Kuzushiro is really good at leaving small seeds that will become plot points later on. Taishi's friend disliking change and implied to be developing (or possibly already having) a crush on Shino, Nozomi still struggling with depression, and Heidi...Well, Heidi seems to be getting set up as a potential suitor for Nozomi, imo.

This slow burn is painful, but it's the best kind of pain. I love how the priorities here are Shino and Nozomi moving on, working through their trauma and grief, and finding happiness as individuals. The love story can wait.

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Thisisfine.jpg

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

I reread the last few chapters, and I have to say that Kuzushiro is really good at leaving small seeds that will become plot points later on. Taishi's friend disliking change and implied to be developing (or possibly already having) a crush on Shino, Nozomi still struggling with depression, and Heidi...Well, Heidi seems to be getting set up as a potential suitor for Nozomi, imo.

This slow burn is painful, but it's the best kind of pain. I love how the priorities here are Shino and Nozomi moving on, working through their trauma and grief, and finding happiness as individuals. The love story can wait.

I don't remember which chapter it was, but Heidi has clearly stated before that she's only into men and doesn't like Nozomi ''that way'' .

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

Ricchan and Heidi are approaching "get it over with, you two" at this point when it comes to their treatment of Shino and Nozomi

last edited at Jan 16, 2022 1:03PM

joined Apr 7, 2016

I don't remember which chapter it was, but Heidi has clearly stated before that she's only into men and doesn't like Nozomi ''that way'' .

I believe that was in a late-80s chapter, but don't quote me on that. Still, there are some hints throughout the story that I interpret as Heidi potentially being a suitor. But again, this is just my opinion and interpretation. I could be wrong and am just reading too much into it.

joined Oct 23, 2016

I believe that was in a late-80s chapter, but don't quote me on that. Still, there are some hints throughout the story that I interpret as Heidi potentially being a suitor. But again, this is just my opinion and interpretation. I could be wrong and am just reading too much into it.

Wait, I thought she was a straight trans woman, hasnt fully transitioned tho.

The%20witch's%20house
joined Apr 9, 2015

Can I start reading or is this still yuribait?

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Still yuri bait, but there's starting to be some hints. Problem is there's also hetero hints, so I wouldn't jump in just yet.

last edited at Jan 31, 2022 6:34PM

The%20witch's%20house
joined Apr 9, 2015

Still yuri bait, but there's starting to be some hints. Problem is there's also hetero hints, so I wouldn't jump in just yet.

Thank you for letting me know!

I've waited years so I'm sure I can last a few more lol.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

so it's probably been mentioned before, back when Heidi was first introduced but like she's trans right? That's the vibes I'm getting from this anyway. I'm just asking mostly because with a 106 chapters it could have very easily already been brought up before and I just don't remember.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

When this isn't baiting us hard, it's teaching us some really nice life lessons and they all feel very real, like Ikoku nikki... and yeah the school system is a mess not just in Japan but because it makes for most of the work force in big companies, no one really dares to mess with it and it's been the same for decades, it keeps the economy going so is good enough for society as a whole...that aside, I really like Heidi, I hope her words are the ones who will come to mind first whenever Shino or Nozomi feel down or confused again, that they will take those lessons and talks to their hearts

BreadBunny posted:

so it's probably been mentioned before, back when Heidi was first introduced but like she's trans right? That's the vibes I'm getting from this anyway. I'm just asking mostly because with a 106 chapters it could have very easily already been brought up before and I just don't remember.

I don't think it's been discussed in the manga but it's a valid assumption..

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

BreadBunny posted:

neat thanks for clearing that up because I'll be honest I wasn't exactly going to reread all 106 chapters just for this, maybe I'll do a reread later when it's finished but not now.

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

I'd say this chapter verifies it, yeah...

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

Those chapters are so light it feels really strange

joined Aug 2, 2018

BreadBunny posted:

neat thanks for clearing that up because I'll be honest I wasn't exactly going to reread all 106 chapters just for this, maybe I'll do a reread later when it's finished but not now.

Chapter 91. Shino is confused when she first runs into them into the mall and asks. Voice of a man but appears a woman. Also Heidi in the chapter states liking “useless men.” I believe when you read the chapter of Heidi’s backstory (might be a few chapters before 91) you’re given more details. Then in 106 you see Heidi’s flashback as a male student agreeing to his father to go to Buddhism school. I don’t think Heidi is trans though, just a homosexual male cross dresser.

joined Jan 14, 2020

We haven't had enough information yet to clearly distinguish between "trans woman" and "gay male cross-dresser".

I dunno how certain it is that the mangaka knows there is a distinction.

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

Chapter 91. Shino is confused when she first runs into them into the mall and asks. Voice of a man but appears a woman. Also Heidi in the chapter states liking “useless men.” I believe when you read the chapter of Heidi’s backstory (might be a few chapters before 91) you’re given more details. Then in 106 you see Heidi’s flashback as a male student agreeing to his father to go to Buddhism school. I don’t think Heidi is trans though, just a homosexual male cross dresser.

We haven't been given any labels and labels don't match perfectly between cultures and eras anyhow.

It's enough to say that Heidi likes men, is androgynous, and is gender nonconforming. I could apply the pronoun they or she due to Heidi's ambiguous impression toward others in conversation, and I'll count this as great GNC representation (fistpump), but that's as far as we could label them. Heidi could be labelled as an effeminate man, a non-binary person (enby vibes at 200%), or a trans woman who is socially transitioned and not on obvious hormones.

Even in a real world situation, there's no precise answer until they say so and it's not relevant to their personality. If need be you just guess a polite label and maybe get corrected.

With better options now available in English with less stigma, crossdresser isn't a very common identity. It's best not to label folks with that one too readily.

last edited at Feb 6, 2022 3:59PM

Cool
joined Apr 4, 2021

If both of them grew feelings with each other in future chaps...their future will be very rocky like YEAH (not saying it won't work just very hard), imagine falling in love with your dead brother's wife and vice versa after shit happened.

Anyways, it isn't disrespectful nor a betrayal to your dead loved one since everyone needs love and be happy again. I guess this manga is saying that we all have to move forward. Past will always be a part of us but that doesn't mean we can't build our own future so fucking take a step forward and fucking embrace your present more and maybe a new spark of friendship/love may blossom when you least expect it during lonely times.

Thank you for listening to my not Ted Talk and yes I reread this whole.

joined Jun 11, 2016

just saying but I'm pretty sure that "Buddhism" school wasn't really teaching Buddhism at all. More like Shinto mixed with Buddhism.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

There isn't really a generic Buddhist notion of "school" or seminary, because the way most tendencies of Buddhism are propagated is that students are taught directly by monks and are frequently known primarily by their lineage (as in "x was a student of y who was a student of z" going all the way back to Bodhidharma or even the historical Buddha). It's equally unlikely, though, that a school that produced priests for Buddhist temples would be too overtly Shinto, although for sure, it's relatively rare that there wouldn't be some overlap between Buddhism, Shintoism, and "New Religions" (like Soka Gakkai) in a setting like that, because all of those belief systems are syncretic and much less uptight about mixing than, say, Christianity. Most likely a religious school would be affiliated with one of the bigger, more popular tendencies like Nichiren or Pure Land and would exist primarily to train the next generation of administrators for the larger organizations (represented by the individual temples and monasteries). So Heidi would have been going to one of these to learn how to take over the family business more than to get instruction in Buddhist doctrine.

Ultimately the difference between Buddhism, Shinto, and new religions are distinctions that would be pretty mysterious to the vast majority of Japanese people, even those who profess some kind of Buddhist or Shinto faith. Buddhism isn't really a religion in the same way that Western faiths like Judaism, Christianity, or Islam are (the idea of classifying followers of the Buddha under an umbrella called "Buddhism" is something that was done by Christian missionaries, in fact – until that point there were just monks, abbots and nuns that were part of a lineage / tendency, typically associated with a specific monastery or temple – this is a vast oversimplification, but maybe enough info to be interesting).

Sorry for the rabbit hole; as a semi-Buddhist myself and somebody who's spent a long time teasing apart how this stuff works in practice, I find it really interesting and fun to talk about.

Pat%20dixon3
joined Nov 6, 2021

drank & drugs & yuri

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

I still can't believe we're almost 6 years with this manga. The art improved so much since chap 1

To reply you must either login or sign up.