Forum › Trying Out Marriage With My Female Friend discussion

joined Jun 11, 2016

Yeah i dont get why blondies Devotion is being questioned, she hasnt been acting out of line nor has she been particular negligent

Let me remind you that they married as friends, Kurumi (the "blonde" one) up until now has never thought of Ruriko as anything more than friends. Also Kurumi was the person who made up the 5th rule (if one of them fall in love with sb else they will go back to being friends).

It isn't that she hasn't done anything to be questioned, but that Kurumi hasn't done anything to prove that she wants to stay in this marriage. Sure, we as the readers know her thoughts and know what she wants, but Ruriko doesn't. From Ruriko's point of view, they're staying in a marriage of convenient without love and Kurumi is always just one step away from walking away from it, it's right for her to be scared.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Countries have different ways of handling universal health care. Some make sure that almost everything's paid for by socialized medicine (UK NHS) or socialized insurance (Canadian or Australian Medicare). But many (France, Germany, Japan, Netherlands, etc.) have something like Obamacare in structure, mandatory regulated subsidized 'private' insurance, where you'll probably pay something in co-payments or co-insurance. If you're really poor there'll be something to catch you, but otherwise, getting sick does cost you something. Just won't bankrupt you (at least from bills. From losing your income if you can't work is another story.)

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

I wanna cut Ruriko’s hair. It looks like she’s having hair extensions or what

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Countries have different ways of handling universal health care. Some make sure that almost everything's paid for by socialized medicine (UK NHS) or socialized insurance (Canadian or Australian Medicare). But many (France, Germany, Japan, Netherlands, etc.) have something like Obamacare in structure, mandatory regulated subsidized 'private' insurance, where you'll probably pay something in co-payments or co-insurance. If you're really poor there'll be something to catch you, but otherwise, getting sick does cost you something. Just won't bankrupt you (at least from bills. From losing your income if you can't work is another story.)

Well a grand is well beyond what many working class people have spare in their bank. Millions of people live paycheck to paycheck. 1 grand for a night in hospital seemed way too much for japan. I mean I know its kinda crazy in America but didnt know it was that expensive in Japan. What about if she had been in 5 days and had an operation- would it be 10 grand or so? Or maybe it has a cap.

Maybe they dont pay for ops in Japan- or maybe they can still be treated if they cant afford it and have fairly leanient payment over time options- dunno- just saying if its anything like here, plenty of people dont have that much spare cash- or having to fork out that much would really hurt and cause problems. If it costs loads to even have a consult and scans when your ill, it seems it would mean loads of poorer people wont go in when they really should because of the bill. And like whats the point in insurance if you still get a huge bill? If you insure your car you dont have to pay 30% of the cost if it gets totaled by some idiot.

last edited at Nov 9, 2021 12:27PM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

rainbow8 posted:

But many (France, Germany, Japan, Netherlands, etc.) have something like Obamacare in structure, mandatory regulated subsidized 'private' insurance, where you'll probably pay something in co-payments or co-insurance. If you're really poor there'll be something to catch you, but otherwise, getting sick does cost you something.

At the risk of spiraling down a meaningless tangent, I take some issue with this description. Germany and France fund the vast majority of their systems through taxes (including but not limited to payroll taxes). Neither system uses "private insurance" in the way Obamacare does; the government collects money from the populace, then fully funds smaller non-profit structures that handle coverage. Private insurance exists on top of those structures, but is considered supplementary or is only available once certain income thresholds have been surpassed. German co-pays are also pitifully small (~10 euros per day for hospitalization, as an example) and determined by federal legislation.

Again please pardon, but I do think the details matter a lot.

last edited at Nov 9, 2021 2:29PM

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

rainbow8 posted:

But many (France, Germany, Japan, Netherlands, etc.) have something like Obamacare in structure, mandatory regulated subsidized 'private' insurance, where you'll probably pay something in co-payments or co-insurance. If you're really poor there'll be something to catch you, but otherwise, getting sick does cost you something.

At the risk of spiraling down a meaningless tangent, I take some issue with this description. Germany and France fund the vast majority of their systems through taxes (including but not limited to payroll taxes). Neither system uses "private insurance" in the way Obamacare does; the government collects money from the populace, then fully funds smaller non-profit structures that handle coverage. Private insurance exists on top of those structures, but is considered supplementary or is only available once certain income thresholds have been surpassed. German co-pays are also pitifully small (~10 euros per day for hospitalization, as an example) and determined by federal legislation.

Again please pardon, but I do think the details matter a lot.

It does, thanks for pointing that out. Said co-pay is also, as i pointed out earlier, in relation to your actual income (at least here in Germany), so the less you make, the less you gotta pay.

Of course there's still some bullshit to this system, like how there's a "fictional" income that's used for calculating your co-pay, even when you don't have any income whatsoever and you're expected to co-pay based on that, whether you have the money or not but that's digressing even more xD

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Countries have different ways of handling universal health care. Some make sure that almost everything's paid for by socialized medicine (UK NHS) or socialized insurance (Canadian or Australian Medicare).

Just for the record, while public insurance with private doctors and clinics is how things work in Canada, actual HOSPITALS are also public facilities. Nobody pays money when they have to go to the hospital.
On the other hand, there's no pharmacare, so drug costs are mostly private and often privately insured, and various side or new things aren't covered by medicare--so, blood tests may cost, the rise of physiotherapy happened too late to get it included in the legislation (and American insurance companies lobby to keep it that way), and so on.

As to France, when my wife got injured in France and we were whisked away in an ambulance, they helped her quickly and charged very little even to us foreigners not hooked into the system. We had travel insurance but I think we never bothered messing about making a claim because it just wasn't worth it.

last edited at Nov 10, 2021 5:01PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

As far as relationships go, this one hasn't been healthy since they got married, and IRL, I doubt they'd still be together.

There's nothing particularly wrong with the basic nature of the relationship, if it was what they actually wanted. The tension comes from the increasing suspicion that they both want something different, specifically something more, and haven't been able to admit it. This crisis triggered by a seemingly minor thing hopefully will bring them towards a resolution where they admit to, and thereby get, what they actually want (and we get to see them being heartwarmingly lovey-dovey, yay!).

IRL they might actually have a pleasant friendly relationship with no implied romance that was stable and fine as what it was.

last edited at Nov 10, 2021 5:08PM

Mv5bbnxkftztcwmzi0nzawmq@@._v1_
joined Oct 8, 2018

This manga makes me so angry lol, and yet I read it all anyway. It's the most ridiculously unrealistic thing ever, where these two clueless women literally get married and act like they are a couple in every way possible, and then are surprised to actually fall in love with each other... It makes no sense with this weird heteronormative undercurrent under the entire premise, and yet it's just cute enough that I want to keep reading...

The latest chapter continues the strange unrealism trend by introducing this extra drama even though neither of them have expressed even the slightest romantic interest in anyone but each other... And of course I still wanna find out what happens lol

My worst fear is that this is gonna end with some pointless drama for a couple chapters, then they'll finally get it through their thick skulls that they, two married women, love each other, and the story will end right as they kiss in Chapter 16, so we never get to ACTUALLY see their married domestic life, just their "roommates with legal documents" life. If the story goes on another 4 or 5 volumes after they inevitably kiss in Chapter 16, I'll be pleasantly surprised, though. I really hope it happens because that's where the story could actually start getting really interesting, rather than just cute.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

with this weird heteronormative undercurrent under the entire premise

What's this weird heteronormative undercurrent you are referring to??
It has never once been implied that the issues these two are having with their relationship have anything to do with heteronormativity. They're just too timid (or useless) to express their feelings to each other.

catsfootironclaw
Imagem_2021-10-09_150323
joined Oct 9, 2021

people really like to read into everything these days huh

Screenshot_3
joined Jun 24, 2021

here comes the drama

Mv5bbnxkftztcwmzi0nzawmq@@._v1_
joined Oct 8, 2018

"Heteronormative undercurrent" only means for me the very strange nature of the entire premise, the legal marriage stuff. The main character writing a column in some magazine or website about getting married to a woman, as if it's this weird, unusual, exciting thing. But then being open about not actually loving the person, too... A premise like this in real life, even if it happened just a week after gay marriage was legalized in Japan, would feel bizarre and pointless, and it feels weird to me even in this fluffy comic.

Not to argue about the institution of marriage, which is like a whole big thing I'm sure gets argued about all over this site, but does signing some papers and wearing rings actually, really make them any different than roommates? Legally, yes, but in any other sense, I don't see how anything changed. That comic from a while back, "Wife and Wife," was way more appealing to me because it was actually about the domestic life of a gay married couple, even if they were legally not married.

I know this is just a dumb comic and one I can't help but subscribe to anyway, but this is one of my main niches for fluffy GL comics.... :'( I think I'd probably be in love with this story, honestly, if it was literally the same in every way except that they were actually romantically involved from the start... Or if the comic continues after they finally get together, but that one is probably not happening, knowing Yuri Hime.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

^ I don't understand, what more do you need than a gay couple who is accepted by friends and relatives to let go of the "heteronormative undercurrent" accusation? The only thing I see that could perhaps justify such a claim about the manga's premise is the part about Kurumi writing about gay marriage.
However, considering that gay marriage supposedly got legalised only 4 years earlier, it really is something new and exciting, so I don't think that writing about it is that weird. Plus, the whole manga (and I would suppose her column as well) seems more focused on the "friend" rather than the "female" part of the title. It's about two friends gradually getting closer until they both realise that they are in love with each other and enter an actual loving marriage.

"Being open about not actually loving the person" tells nothing about heteronormativity, it's only because they got married as friends. You could have the same premise with a het couple and it would still be as weird as it is now (if you find this premise weird, that is).

does signing some papers and wearing rings actually, really make them any different than roommates? Legally, yes, but in any other sense, I don't see how anything changed.

Agreed.
And this is exactly what the whole manga is about! We just saw Ruriko finally expressing (sort of...) that she is not satisfied with how things are in the last chapter. It's not as if the manga is telling us, yes, this is how same-sex marriage is like. Quite the opposite, actually.

The one thing with which I wholeheartedly agree is that I'd like it to continue after they get together, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

P.S. I was gonna write "until they both realise that they are in love with the other", but then I was reminded of all the other yuri manga I've read and reconsidered lol

Machi_12696
joined Feb 2, 2020

Remember kids, fight for universal healthcare

joined Mar 6, 2021

Hah, I was looking forward to the comments after this last chapter but did not expect the discussion on universal healthcare or heteronormativity. Stay woke comrades!

Now, I must say that maybe it was because I hadn't read this in a while but this felt super out of the blue. This is a pretty domestic story and it is rather realistic that something major comes out of some stupid discussion but after these many chapters and the baby steps they've taken I'm not convinced anything major will happen. My bet is Kurumi will tell her she likes her a lot, never had anyone else she liked as much, is prepared to take her marriage more serious (but as in commitment, not as in love), etc., etc., and not really break free from the friendzone. Which is fine, personally, I don't mind a looooooOOOOoOOOOoooong buildup.

joined Aug 10, 2021

I love how these problems are getting resolved so quickly!
Better to have a no aangsty manga than too much aangsty as there is enough aangst in our aangsty life :P

joined May 29, 2021

Just talk to each other! If you want to have a real marriage the first thing you need is communication.

277518907_284798580472730_8969942845314652470_n
joined Sep 19, 2021

ugh i need the next one :))) i'm so impatient

uwauwauwauwauwa
Aad1217ee03a84ae2f55ba2988d97f47
joined Nov 9, 2021

damn y'all r impatient asf, we're just at chapter 12 (^~^;)ゞit's not even THAT SLOW y'all just want them to have sex that bad (˘・_・˘) and maybe it's because the mangaka doesn't upload that fast (?)

uwauwauwauwauwa
joined Nov 9, 2021

and I love how people in the comments r typing essays in here, cool (⌐■-■)

uwauwauwauwauwa
joined Nov 9, 2021

and can i ask, do y'all like citrus?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Took a bit of brooding first, but looks like the talk we've been waiting for is coming next.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

and can i ask, do y'all like citrus?

Read the Citrus and Citrus+ forums.

Tl;dr: some yes, some no, some like some parts and not others.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

This is the thing with communication , you may actually both want the same thing but nothing will happen unless you put it into words ! Hopefuly this will be a major breakthrough in their relationship.

To reply you must either login or sign up.