Forum › Maitsuki, Niwatsuki, Ooyatsuki discussion

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

T/N: sorry for the "ya" everywhere, but both Matsuba-chan and Miyako are speaking a heavy Kansai dialect and that's the way I found to somewhat render it. Without it, you'd lose some of the flavor of the manga.

last edited at Dec 2, 2021 5:02PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

T/N: sorry for the "ya" everywhere, but both Matsuba-chan and Miyako are speaking a heavy Kansai dialect and that's the way I found to somewhat render it. Without it, you'd lose some of the flavor of the manga.

No apology necessary. There are always debates about how to render Kansai, and this worked well--better than most, IMO.

joined May 1, 2015

Grandma chan was so cool.
Too bad ex idol chan didn't inherit her coolness.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

All's well that ends well. I'm glad this possible drama didn't drag out over multiple chapters. Snappy setup, quick resolution, me likey

joined Mar 26, 2021

I like her grandma, i mean matsuba-chan she's so cool.

K7gwfbovdc
joined Dec 2, 2021

10/10 cool gal grandma would love if she became reoccurring

Nyaa
joined Aug 18, 2021

The "ya" is no problem at all (though "ya're" is pushing it a bit lol, better to use something that sounds more natural like "yer" IMO), but "'tis" means "it is" not "this", so those parts read like nonsense.

For example "'tis will be my test!" reads like "it is will be my test!" which is confusing as hell.

last edited at Dec 2, 2021 6:27PM

joined May 29, 2021

It’s a slow burn, alright, but it’s a good burn.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

GILF ALERT

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The "ya" is no problem at all (though "ya're" is pushing it a bit lol, better to use something that sounds more natural like "yer" IMO), but "'tis" means "it is" not "this", so those parts read like nonsense.

For example "'tis will be my test!" reads like "it is will be my test!" which is confusing as hell.

I disagree—“‘tis” may parse as “it is” when the the context is Elizabethan English, but in a contemporary context dialect is expected to be non-standard—there are any number of ways to render a regional-dialect/class-dialect version of words like “this,” especially in relation to other words in a sentence.

(Among the people I grew up with, the phrase “this here” could sound more like “issear.”)

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

This was excellent, that's how you do drama without doing it, a character like grandma isn't seen often.

Wallpaper_2~2
joined Jul 4, 2021

From a perspective of a reader which does not know how that dialect sounds , like me, the presence of the "ya" added a complete different sound to their conversation in my mind while reading them giving an illusion of two peapole speaking in a somewhat different dialect.

I saw a similar approach in 2DK where one of the character speaks a dialect , they used the same term "ya" to emphasize the sound of her speech.

So I guess "ya" did good on this aspect.

Thanks .

joined Oct 28, 2021

I love it ya! Flavor is good for the soul. Thanks for the translation ^_^ been waiting for this chapter. Now I must wait for the next one. Personally, I am enjoying the build of their relationship. Especially, the face Ms. Landlord was making during her learning of cooking ^_^

last edited at Dec 2, 2021 10:03PM

Fb_img_1596724226396
joined May 14, 2017

goddamn, matsuba-chan drive a frickin NSX
what a cool grandma

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

Phew, that turned out so much better than I expected!

God I thought she like, left her showbiz mom cause she was abusive and it'd be awful

But nah grumpy but kind grandma, I'm love her

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

Want a spin off of granny

Xerine%20and%20xeri
joined Sep 30, 2021

The twist threw me for a loop, but damn, grandma is great. Best yuri manga grandma I've seen in a long time, lol

But that aside, that last page. The panels seemed to hint at something in the general vicinity of drama coming up soon. The panel with the "house to myself," bit looked a lot like the landlady had some kind of realization that goes beyond the rest of the page. That may be stylistic, but the next panel lends itself to such a setup as well. Asako says she's joking, but it's mostly off-panel and focused on the floor, like the mangaka wanted to hide her face. And this may be a translation thing, but the comment "joking, just joking," seems a little too composed to me, but that might be reaching. But the "joke" itself also didn't really have the feel of a joke, either, in how she said it and in the fact it didn't show her face either.

I dunno, maybe I'm just overanalyzing it, but it seems to me like there might be some implications for future chapters.

uwauwauwauwauwa
Aad1217ee03a84ae2f55ba2988d97f47
joined Nov 9, 2021

The twist threw me for a loop, but damn, grandma is great. Best yuri manga grandma I've seen in a long time, lol

But that aside, that last page. The panels seemed to hint at something in the general vicinity of drama coming up soon. The panel with the "house to myself," bit looked a lot like the landlady had some kind of realization that goes beyond the rest of the page. That may be stylistic, but the next panel lends itself to such a setup as well. Asako says she's joking, but it's mostly off-panel and focused on the floor, like the mangaka wanted to hide her face. And this may be a translation thing, but the comment "joking, just joking," seems a little too composed to me, but that might be reaching. But the "joke" itself also didn't really have the feel of a joke, either, in how she said it and in the fact it didn't show her face either.

I dunno, maybe I'm just overanalyzing it, but it seems to me like there might be some implications for future chapters.

you're right, you're overanalyzing. Damn y'all be putting essays here lol

uwauwauwauwauwa
Aad1217ee03a84ae2f55ba2988d97f47
joined Nov 9, 2021

AHHHHHHHH I LOVE THE ART STYLEEEEEE LSNSKSKANJASB

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

How the turn tables have turned

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

After some feedback, I dropped the "this" and replaced "ya're" by "yer".

I think the rest of the "ya"s is enough to get the point of the thick dialect across.

joined Aug 8, 2020

Matsuba really said "Ah I see, my granddaughter is a lesbian. Very well."

Sheenah_the_Dino
Hetero%20vibes
joined Sep 25, 2021

So... question. Does Miyako know that Asako is a lesbian at this point? I tried going back to previous chapters but it's left kind of vague? In chapter 5 Hato tells her the story about Asako's ex, but they skip over the story so idk whether she told her the ex was a girl

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Sheenah_the_Dino posted:

So... question. Does Miyako know that Asako is a lesbian at this point? I tried going back to previous chapters but it's left kind of vague? In chapter 5 Hato tells her the story about Asako's ex, but they skip over the story so idk whether she told her the ex was a girl

I think it's kept vague on purpose.

You can go a long way in Japanese without ever using pronouns or gender.

Maybe there'll be a reveal later.

Shinta
joined Feb 25, 2014

badass grandma

To reply you must either login or sign up.