Forum › The Ends of a Dream discussion

Whatsapp%20image%202019-04-25%20at%2010.16.22%20pm%20(1)
joined Jan 4, 2018

Now they can be together. I'm happy for them but damn this is depressing. I can stop reading this now I'm done hurting my own heart each time I read the update

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I’m still sad that we never got to see the granddaughter figure anything out, but it was a decent ending.

Rather than death doing them part, it seems like only in death could they be together forever, just like what Kiyoko wanted all those decades ago…

Oneplusoneequalstwo
joined Jun 5, 2018

Outstanding series.

Enanano
joined Oct 16, 2020

Holy crap the ending-

Img_20220602_141642-min%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)
joined Feb 5, 2020

we can have a little moment of respite at the end after reading this depressing as fuck love story, as a treat

joined Mar 26, 2021

So it's going to end, with an ending like that seems like it

Iloveherface
joined Jul 12, 2020

Truly tragic, I liked it.
I'd like to buy the physical copies but I don't have money :(
Thank you very much for uploading it.

joined Aug 21, 2017

One thing I still don't quite understand is the whole swapped identity thing. The two girls didn't swap identities, right? Grandma's who she says she is, despite the Alzheimer's?

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Yeah, thanks a lot for this, a keeper if there ever was one.

BTW the name of Mt. Hanare means, depending on how it's written, either release (being freed) or separation. I forget - did this story take place anywhere in particular?

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

One thing I still don't quite understand is the whole swapped identity thing. The two girls didn't swap identities, right? Grandma's who she says she is, despite the Alzheimer's?

No they never swapped identities. Their personalities just changed because of their experiences. It seemed like they swapped personalities because they swapped outlooks on life.

Mitsu used to be cold and reserved because she felt trapped by society (she was in an arranged marriage). That was changed when she met Kiyoko who inspired her to live the life she wanted (which was kind of a double edged sword since she took "living for Kiyoko" a lil too far lol and was never able to move on). So Mitsu ended up living with more determination and courage to face society.

Kiyoko used to be outgoing and cheerful because she thought she'd be free from society's rules if she died. So she lived her life cheerfully thinking she will die soon anyway. After the suicide failed, she realized she'd have to participate in society and lost the courage to break free of it and thus became depressed and resigned. Being too afraid to live the life she wanted and at the same time too afraid to take her life, she just withdrew into her shell.

joined Jun 12, 2015

Waste of time. I thought it would say something new in this kind of story. Nope, same old story.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Wow that was harsh

joined Sep 6, 2020

Fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuck, fuck,fuckity fuck fuck, this is not the kind of suffering I enjoy.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

This just came out in my country a few days ago and I bought it, didn't know it was currently being scanlated. I enjoyed the idea of the narration starting from the end and going further and further back in time to shed new light on the relationship, it was easy to guess what happened due to all the hints in the future but it was still intriguing. I kinda feel like Kiyoko was a negative influence on Mitsu overall, but Mitsu seems to still have had a mostly fulfilling life while Kiyoko was the one filled with regrets by the end. Though sad, it was a good story.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Whenever I see a new chapter of The End of a Dream up, I strategically open up another, more lighthearted manga to wash my depression away after reading this.

This ending hit hard though, I definitely cried a bit. In the end, I wonder if this wasn't just the continuation of her earlier suicide attempt though

Rise192_78
joined Aug 22, 2013

Wait, did the series low key say that Anna (the granddaughter) was in a relationship with a woman? In the beginning she said she was moving in with another divorced mom and then in this last chapter Riri says her mom and the other mom fight a lot…

Thematically, not sure how that plays out? I’m all for more yuri, but I wonder if Anna’s relationship is also meant to be a mini foil to her grandmother’s relationship with Kiyoko?

Nao%20smug%20face
joined Feb 1, 2016

I demand an extra!!!

Akiko%20megaer%20think%20smaller
joined Aug 7, 2021

Glad to have read this, even if it only brought pain. Thanks for the translations, team.

Thematically, not sure how that plays out? I’m all for more yuri, but I wonder if Anna’s relationship is also meant to be a mini foil to her grandmother’s relationship with Kiyoko?

Yeah, I took it to further the point of wrong place, wrong time for Kiyoko and Mitsu. If they had lived in a different time frame, things could've been different. Maybe it should be taken as a bittersweet revelation that Kiyoko got to see a relationship similar to the one herself and Mitsu always wanted play out in some capacity.

Lastpersimmondrops
Chi3c
joined Apr 22, 2020

Just wow, thanks for everyone's work bringing this to us

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

Well, if ghost exist so they can be together, lol

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

Beautifully tragic ending. I had an itching feeling Kiyoko would die via suicide in the end and be reunited with Mitsu that way. After age 15, it seemed like all the girl wanted was the bittersweet release of death. Just wish we could’ve seen more of Anna’s own lesbian relationship in contrast with our main pair’s emotional rollercoaster of a tragedy. Would’ve offered some hope to this thoroughly depressing story.

Img_5033%204
joined Jan 18, 2021

I was raised on old Hollywood, and am truly a fan of happy endings. Nonetheless, knowing what was coming, I plowed ahead trusting in the author to do their thing. I cried a lot. What a beautiful, beautiful sad story.

Image_2022-10-30_015926894
joined Jun 3, 2021

I’m truly broken after this. It hurt so good… Sudou Yumi just never fails to deliver.

Kanistorshik_octavia_portrait_wallpaper
joined May 9, 2011

Great series. I'm just really confused about the order of it all. Felt like watching Netflix'S Witcher...

joined Apr 23, 2021

this was a beautiful story and a similarly beautiful end. Never in life but at least in death they can be together. Heh, im still crying just thinking about it. Thank you so much for uploading this

To reply you must either login or sign up.