Forum › The Ends of a Dream discussion

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

Time to read it backwards and get my heart wrecked

Funny%20and%20cute
joined Jul 15, 2020

Well, that sucks and all, but I really think the story should have been told in a continuous way. Like, the first chapter straight up spoiled that they would never be together. Made all chapters between the first and the last kind of redundant.

joined Apr 23, 2021

i think the idea to look back is a deliberate narrative decision, because the protagonist is losing her memory. It makes sense that the last things to go are the memories of her beloved, and i think its more meaningful in this way. We get to see them as adults, and each decision made in one memory is brought on by something that happened previous. What happened to micchan's finger? What did they fight over? It leaves you with a different sense of anticipation. Rather than hoping for something to resolve and feeling disappointed, we are treated to the end, and we get to see the way things played out right down to the point that everything went awry for them.

Dont mind me. I really loved this story and i thought the decision to work backwards through memories was wonderfully unique. Still trying not to cry thinking about the ending.

joined Jul 10, 2011

Hey Hey!
Added the manga to MAL, for those of you who, like me, likes to register everything they read:
https://myanimelist.net/manga/141215

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Thanks, duly 10'd.

Me%20now%20-%20copy
joined Feb 11, 2013

One of those reads that just gets sadder and sadder but I just couldn't stop reading. Wonderful!

I'd like to say it's sad because it more or less hinges on reality cuz you know same sex relationships get sorta warped especially when it starts during that day and age. This is almost not yuri but simply a tragic sapphic love story like any other.

yuriforeverandalways
Yuri%202%20copy
joined Feb 14, 2017

I'm glad it went backwards in time. If it went forwards in time I wouldn't have been able to take it. I normally read fluffy happy stuff but I'm really glad I read this. It was a masterpiece.

yuriforeverandalways
Yuri%202%20copy
joined Feb 14, 2017

I'm glad it went backwards in time. If it went forwards in time I wouldn't have been able to take it. I normally read fluffy happy stuff but I'm really glad I read this. It was a masterpiece.

145537335_456474152428619_7273272408325150170_n
joined Mar 13, 2020

Wait, did the series low key say that Anna (the granddaughter) was in a relationship with a woman? In the beginning she said she was moving in with another divorced mom and then in this last chapter Riri says her mom and the other mom fight a lot…

Thematically, not sure how that plays out? I’m all for more yuri, but I wonder if Anna’s relationship is also meant to be a mini foil to her grandmother’s relationship with Kiyoko?

"that other mommy" must be the friend who's also divorced she said in chapter 1

Friendofthegrummles
joined Aug 11, 2022

This is the saddest yuri manga I’ve ever read and I loved every second of it

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Just reread this story and damn, still hits as hard as the first time I read it. I think on my first read I didn't really appreciate just how mentally broken Kiyoko was from a very early point onward, that girl would've needed some serious therapy tbh

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

This manga is something else. I did not appreciate it as much as I should have on my first read. Wow.

Also, I love how reading it in chronological order (from 8-9, 7, 6, 4-5, 3, 2, 1, and 10) really does provide a different experience. It’s more cohesive, less depressing and even more… hopeful? I’m not sure that’s the right word to use. But reading the story this way definitely takes away much of the power and emotional complexity found in the intended order.

To reply you must either login or sign up.