Forum › Watashi wa Kimi wo Nakasetai discussion

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I thought we were supposed to keep that a secret from the Forum-only folks.

last edited at Sep 27, 2021 3:37PM by OrangePekoe

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

BV posted:

I thought we were supposed to keep that a secret from the Forum-only folks.

It's just idle speculation, which is totally fine.

joined Aug 1, 2021

Hopefully they kiss or something . I really dont want to see this ending as subtext after all those years of manga translations going on hiatus and coming back to reread it every few months.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

What was You-chan about to do if the dad hadn't walked in at that moment hmmmmmm?

I have a sinking suspicion this is just gonna end up like notes from the garden of lilies where the main couple was about to kiss but were interrupted by the mom and never kissed after

Nyaa
joined Aug 18, 2021

I think that regardless of what happens the yuri tag should stay. It's not just subtext, there was even an actual, proper, undisputable, yuri confession and the MCs' relationship got complicated exactly because of it (cause they're in a similar situation, clearly, though in their case the love is reciprocated, even if they may not be aware of it and are afraid to admit to each other).

It's pretty clear You has romantic feelings towards Hana and vice versa. Even if they don't end up together, it doesn't make it any less yuri, just... Frustrating. I mean, who holds their friend's face, brings them close and says "when you look at me like that I just can't leave you alone"?? They're gay, there's no other explanation for it and the mangaka ain't trying to hide it either.

Smol%20profilepic
joined Nov 3, 2020

realityisoftendisappointing.gif

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

This wasn't as bad as I was led to believe. For all we know, they have feelings for one another and are aware and the author just chose not to show it... for reasons? Still not sure what exactly was the point, since nothing really changed, aside from Kishi maybe having a chance in the future and You opening up to her friends.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Oh I see, not very explicit but they're living together now... Super best friends who can't live without the other
Thank you! all in all, it was very nice! even hints that the other couple will make progress too but it's all super subtle xD

Jpeg_20190202_220408
joined Mar 21, 2019

In the end they live together, not bad at all
Im a little sad cuz they more like kasumi and sakurako from a room for two, but its a good dynamic i think

Such good friends indeed

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

God I love these two so much, but I really feel let down by this ending. At least have them snuggling while watching movies together at the end. I feel like I got teased for 43 chapters...

That said, thanks to Gouma-den for all the hard work. I really did enjoy this series quite a bit. I'll just have to come up with a bonus chapter in my head like I did with Ise-san and Shima-san.

Also: Let the Subtext vs Yuri debate begin.

Huh
joined Dec 16, 2020

Damn I almost didn't catch those two toothbrushes at the end...I don't mind how it ended but I'm a little bummed we didn't get more payoff for the slowburn - like a good 5 pages of them in the future instead of just one would have been nice.

76047650-352-k633682
joined Jul 17, 2015

This is the perfect example of a series that didn’t need there to be an explicit confirmation of romantic feelings and still works perfectly. I think people have gotten used to modern yuri of the last 5-ish years that deal with actual romantic relationships, and I’m really glad we have more of that now, but for most of its history yuri hasn’t been a one-to-one equivalent with "lesbianism." I read yuri because I like seeing stories that explore intimacy between girls, a quality of which is oftentimes its ambiguity and uncertain nature.

This series accomplished exactly what it set out to do and it did so beautifully. I don’t feel any sense of disappointment. I don’t begrudge people for wanting something specific from the manga they read, but I feel like you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. I think a lot of readers would benefit from learning to appreciate different kinds of stories.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

This is the perfect example of a series that didn’t need there to be an explicit confirmation of romantic feelings and still works perfectly. I think people have gotten used to modern yuri of the last 5-ish years that deal with actual romantic relationships, and I’m really glad we have more of that now, but for most of its history yuri hasn’t been a one-to-one equivalent with "lesbianism." I read yuri because I like seeing stories that explore intimacy between girls, a quality of which is oftentimes its ambiguity and uncertain nature.

This series accomplished exactly what it set out to do and it did so beautifully. I don’t feel any sense of disappointment. I don’t begrudge people for wanting something specific from the manga they read, but I feel like you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. I think a lot of readers would benefit from learning to appreciate different kinds of stories.

I have to disagree. Yuri as a genre is about romantic relationships between women. Subtext still counts as a depiction of romantic relationships in my opinion, and while nowadays its not very common outside of intentionally yuri-bait stories, there's a huge difference between stories with homoerotic subtext and without it. I guess I'm not so much arguing over the tags for this series but your other statements about yuri and queer romances.

You can make stories without that subtext, there are a lot of good series out there that write about relationships between women which are not romantic in any way. "A Place Farther than the Universe" is a great example of a show almost entirely focused on the relationships between its cast of girls, without ever delving into anything resembling subtext.

FreedomandJustice
joined Jun 16, 2020

This series was excellent, thank you for translating.
Though I feel that it's technically subtext, there are so many hints that you might as well leave the yuri tag.

joined Jun 30, 2016

Thank you for the translations!

Unnamed
joined Sep 11, 2019

Some filthy part of me wanted a lot more...but this is fine...i would tag a story like this as "A slow burn without being an actual one"

Nyaa
joined Aug 18, 2021

This is the perfect example of a series that didn’t need there to be an explicit confirmation of romantic feelings and still works perfectly.

I think that not all couples need to be super lovey-dovey (though I enjoy that) and it would actually feel out of character to see them kiss outta nowhere, so I'm not mad at the ending (and tbh I already knew how it ended cause I read the raws a while ago).

The fact they're living together and seeing the toothbrushes touching is enough confirmation that they're indeed a couple though, but ofc I would've liked it to be A LITTLE BIT more explicit (say, just a confession or holding hands, I didn't even need a kiss).

Regardless, it was still a very cute story with good characters.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and was left just a tiny bit frustrated by the ending/10

last edited at Sep 30, 2021 2:18PM

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

Frustrating. Very much yuri and not subtext though, we had the confession from the side "couple" even if it was a rejection, and the main couple while not explicitly said to be gay goes further than just subtext imo.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I dont really see it as yuri. Not that all stories have to be - just mean i wouldnt tag it as such personally.
I enjoyed this series though I still woulda appreciated it more if they had actually become a couple too.

Images
joined Apr 7, 2021

Liked it, but would tag it as subtext since it might prevent people to feel as frustrated as I do right now XD

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

Damn, it was yuri but is a silly ends
Specially when they could use some pages for a kiss and finish.
What the author think of her own work?

CutegirlscryingIloveit
Img_-4klz88
joined Sep 30, 2021

Gasp and they were roommates

joined Apr 20, 2021

Liked it, but would tag it as subtext since it might prevent people to feel as frustrated as I do right now XD

I don't think this should be tagged as subtext. Sure there wasn't/we weren't shown confession etc, but last pages show them living together. While it is a possibiility that "they were just roommates" it is never said explicitly, so I think it is more believable for them to be a couple.

P.s. This is kinda similar to the discussion if "A Room for Two" is yuri, but there it is given more context.

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

Man I'm really frustrated actually lol. Maybe someday author will put out some twitter shorts or something that show them doing the kissing or like, goddamn something >:(

Phone
joined Oct 7, 2017

Subtlety is fine. Subtlety is cool.
But when straight folks get to take always having explicitly confirmed romances for granted and us gays are still struggling under the will-they-won't-they coin toss for every other piece of media we consume... it's pretty much impossible for me to not feel frustrated and let down.

To reply you must either login or sign up.