Forum › Watashi wa Kimi wo Nakasetai discussion

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

^ Kind of irrelevant to this but I was immensely disappointed by the ending of Sora & Haena. I mean, it was never my favourite series, but somehow that was one of the most annoying timeskips I've ever read in yuri. (You already kinda spoiled this, but since it's not a Sora&Haena discussion I thought it better to cover it, idk)

I actually liked this one, I wasn't really expecting anything else with how it had been going so far. Though I can understand why people may find it frustrating.

joined Mar 15, 2015

It's been a weird story. The crying thing is hard for me to relate to, but I've pushed through on heavy Yuri vibes and the side couple.

And then this type of ending. Two of the manga I follow ended this week (Sora & Haena is the other one). One had two timeskips and summed up the entire plot ambiguously with lots of dangling threads in one chapter. The other was this. Yuri ending before the Yuri part is queerbaiting (intentional or not).

Some day, I envision a world where 90% of Yuri endings aren't open, rushed, timeskip-heavy messes.

If we can get there within my lifetime, I think I'll be happy.

I personally find that a lot of romance stories end just as the couple gets together, but a lot of yuri series end with subtext. There are times when subtext can suit the story, but more often than not, I find it's rather disappointing, and shows that many yuri authors are unwilling to fully commit to a lesbian romance.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

^ Kind of irrelevant to this but I was immensely disappointed by the ending of Sora & Haena. I mean, it was never my favourite series, but somehow that was one of the most annoying timeskips I've ever read in yuri. (You already kinda spoiled this, but since it's not a Sora&Haena discussion I thought it better to cover it, idk)

I actually liked this one, I wasn't really expecting anything else with how it had been going so far. Though I can understand why people may find it frustrating.

Thanks for reminding me to check on Sora & Haena, it was getting on my nerves, the waiting..but I will check it now...ok I checked, I liked the end, it does make sense with the absurd amount of time Sora and readers were waiting for Haena to use her brain and go back lol

Plus there will be side stories and steamy times, or so the Twitter of the author implied, I don't speak Korean but it has images :P

Now on this series..is it over , owari, that's it? don't you owari me like this T_T

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

I don’t really see this as so much an “open ending” as a simple refusal to make the story explicitly yuri. They’re living together, explicitly because they like each other and want to take care of each other; the only thing left open is that elementary school question, “Do they like like each other? Do they like each other that way?”

When it’s done well, I don’t really mind an actual open ending, where we’re not sure where the relationship will ultimately end up, but where the MCs have come to a new understanding of how they feel about each other.

In this case, it seems more like a coy withholding of information, where we could be shown that there’s one double bed with rumpled sheets, but instead we’re shown the toothbrushes and told, “Make of that what you will.”

It’s still been a decent story and I’ve been glad enough to read it, despite its rather evasive ending.

You know what it reminds me a lot of Notes From the Garden of Lilies
Like both of them have endings that don't really confirm a physical display of affection but seem to suggest that there's some sort of relationship going forwards (Notes is more specific on that point but only in the extra)

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I don’t really see this as so much an “open ending” as a simple refusal to make the story explicitly yuri. They’re living together, explicitly because they like each other and want to take care of each other; the only thing left open is that elementary school question, “Do they like like each other? Do they like each other that way?”

When it’s done well, I don’t really mind an actual open ending, where we’re not sure where the relationship will ultimately end up, but where the MCs have come to a new understanding of how they feel about each other.

In this case, it seems more like a coy withholding of information, where we could be shown that there’s one double bed with rumpled sheets, but instead we’re shown the toothbrushes and told, “Make of that what you will.”

It’s still been a decent story and I’ve been glad enough to read it, despite its rather evasive ending.

You know what it reminds me a lot of Notes From the Garden of Lilies
Like both of them have endings that don't really confirm a physical display of affection but seem to suggest that there's some sort of relationship going forwards (Notes is more specific on that point but only in the extra)

That’s a great example, only it’s more like the “actual open ending” I was talking about—the story is about the two MCs working out their feelings, but you put it exactly: at the end “there’s some sort of relationship going forwards.”

In this case, it’s more like “a further relationship has already happened, but we’re not going to tell you exactly what it is.” Again, I’m not slagging the story as a whole—it was fine. But annoyingly coy with the ending.

99d9b2dbc2494ead698e256216325ade
joined Oct 3, 2015

˚‧º·(˚ ˃̣̣̥᷄⌓˂̣̣̥᷅ )‧º·˚

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

…That’s it? Really?

TheAlmightyUltimus
Hyper%20kabuto
joined Oct 30, 2018

I don't really know what to think of that ending... eh, I'll let it sit for a day or two and then decide

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Thanks for reminding me to check on Sora & Haena, it was getting on my nerves, the waiting..but I will check it now...ok I checked, I liked the end, it does make sense with the absurd amount of time Sora and readers were waiting for Haena to use her brain and go back lol

Plus there will be side stories and steamy times, or so the Twitter of the author implied, I don't speak Korean but it has images :P

I do plan to read the side stories and stuff if they get translated, but I don't like the fact that I need to rely on those to get something more of an actual ending. The timeskip reunion or whatever on the last episode not only felt out-of-nowhere, but it also didn't really add anything...? Like, okay, they live together now, but I could have easily imagined that to be the case? And Taeram became successful overseas I guess, but we basically already knew she would? We still don't even know if their friends are aware that they're dating...? Idk, it was like we spent all that time waiting for Haena's brain to function and then it just went, okayIcamebackIlikeyoutheend.Ohandwelivetogethernow. Okay. I kinda felt like I had been wasting my ink to unlock all those chapters on tapas... hahaha

(Much like many people here feel like this was a waste of time lol)

On the contrary, I really felt like the timeskip here did add to the story and I don't think it was rushed, even if the nature of their relationship is still kind of foggy. I really understand why some people were left feeling unsatisfied, but everything was resolved before the timeskip (well, except whether they got together or not lol, but I don't think that was an issue the author ever planned to resolve...) and the timeskip wasn't just used to clumsily end a story that the author didn't know how to end. And because their relationship was so loosely identified, showing that they live together is important and not something I would have otherwise ever assumed. I really liked how it went back to what connected them from the very beginning (kinda reminded me of Yoru to Umi, but that was a whole different dynamic). Though the truth is that I generally enjoy these kinds of ambiguous relationships in yuri, so it might just be me XD

last edited at Oct 2, 2021 10:02AM

Sans%20titre-1
joined Dec 19, 2020

I think if the tooth brushes were in the same cup it'd be yuri, but since they are separate but almost touching it's subtext.

lmao, good analysis actually

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

I think if the tooth brushes were in the same cup it'd be yuri, but since they are separate but almost touching it's subtext.

I hate that I can't outright dismiss it as tinfoil hatting.

Polish_20220813_091412010%20(2)%20(1)
joined Oct 17, 2021

Doesn't the tag needs to be changed? Yuri Crush and Subtext probably more fitting. Because sadly there's no actual girlxgirl here at least to my standards. Just really heavy gay vibes.

I hate that I can't outright dismiss it as tinfoil hatting.

Maybe they're hygiene nerds? Lmao

last edited at Oct 26, 2021 3:01PM

Ba6830e9-5391-43ab-838d-9b1794f709e7
joined Jul 8, 2013

sigh

yuriforeverandalways
Yuri%202%20copy
joined Feb 14, 2017

The story was gorgeous. The characters communicated like real human beings (rare). The chemistry was through the roof. For all those reasons, I don't mind the ending.

Al%c5%afskd
joined Jul 4, 2012

Doesn't the tag needs to be changed? Yuri Crush and Subtext probably more fitting. Because sadly there's no actual girlxgirl here at least to my standards. Just really heavy gay vibes.

Honestly I agree with this. Change the tags! It’s just misleading otherwise.

joined Jun 20, 2020

fr this is def subtext cos i see no yuri development whatsoever

9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

“No yuri development whatsoever”

…………….. and they were roommates

last edited at Sep 4, 2022 11:26AM

9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

I was hoping for a confession, maybe a kiss, but y’know, I think I’m happy with this. It fits.
And y’know…. Roommates in a yuri manga is practically the same as being married, lol.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Found my self thinking about this and had to come back and see if there was ever any more put up.

Wow! Fantastic! Bravo! Encore!

I think when I started this story people still weren't sure if it was suppose to be yuri or not and with the ending it looks like we are still in the same boat. I'd say call it yuri for he side couple. Doesn't matter that it didn't work out. Or "yuri side couple" if that's a tag.

I usually don't care if who ends up with who(as long as it's well written) but I really would have liked the main two to be together this time. They are both so great they made me break my own pattern.

I guess I can't be mad at the ending. I don't know the details about how this was sold and marketed. Don't know if it showed up in yuri magazines and the like so . . . (and if said magazines consider non romance relationships between girls yuri, etc) So I don't know that yuri was ever promised in anyway.

I will say though, the idea that open ended as a way to get around either sensors or just to make a story seem more deep is a reasoning I'd like to see F off.

last edited at Feb 18, 2023 5:09PM

Sawyerboredsquarebkgdoutline250
joined Nov 14, 2018

Well that was mildly disappointing and mildly... Mild. I was hoping for a bit more by the end but at least it was more realistic in its depiction of characters. I do feel that it reminded me of the older "yuri" series that tried to circumvent censorship or social scorn by leaving the ending AmBiGuOuS which I did not enjoy, however at the very least it didn't outright deny the possibility that they are a couple now!

To reply you must either login or sign up.