Forum › The Blue Star on That Day (Ano Koro no Aoi Hoshi) discussion

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Kinda off topic, is Aquatope gay?

It sorta seemed like it was going to be at first, and then it seemed like it was going to be more about sisterhood and the power and friendship, but now it's sort of heading in another direction… probably not, but we're less than halfway through a 24-episode series, so who knows.

It actually reminds me a lot of A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow with more outgoing protagonists. The relationship between the two MCs, whatever it ends up being, is really compelling and sweet. And it's by PA Works, so it's beautiful and very well made. Probably my anime of the season.

Download_20181110_194445-1-1
joined Feb 12, 2016

I absolutely adore this manga

joined Jul 28, 2020

Not the otoliths! (°ロ°)/

The comfort scene was awesome, but I also love how simple yet effective the dialogue over the chopped veggies is, in terms of conveying the level of attention and care that Umi displays towards Shou.
This chapter was so great that it made me reread the others available, gotta say I had forgotten how utterly smitten Umi was right from the beginning. She's come a long way from gay panicking every four panels to being able to fully support Shou, I'm happy for her.

Anyway, I believe that the ominous "dad lies" mainly refers to what we saw in ch 4, Shou's father told her the "You came out of my butt so you have no mom" and "Your mom isn't here because she's a mermaid" lies in that chapter.

Btw does anyone know what the star-shaped thing in this page is? I can't tell whether it's another bone or some kind of starfish.

last edited at Sep 13, 2021 9:48PM

Raven%20dialogue%202%20dynasty
joined Jul 23, 2021

What a darling little slice of life.

S
joined Jan 12, 2021

I made the fatal mistake of reading all available chapters in just a few hours, now what am I going to do with my life while waiting for the next chapter?

This manga is absolutely wonderful, I love the two MCs and can relate to both. It is so romantic and cute.

Image_2022-10-30_015926894
joined Jun 3, 2021

is that Orange Pekoe???

joined Aug 21, 2021

Was shou-chan staring at umi's boobies??? Anyway, this story is so cute and wholesome and sweet i need some insulin.

joined Jan 3, 2020

This was great. I really enjoy this manga.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

ozzy posted:

is that Orange Pekoe???

The Chaddest Chad!

This history keeps making my heart flutter ! I used to think it would be an unrequited love with a sad ending.

joined Jun 11, 2016

I made the fatal mistake of reading all available chapters in just a few hours, now what am I going to do with my life while waiting for the next chapter?

This manga is absolutely wonderful, I love the two MCs and can relate to both. It is so romantic and cute.

same. I wish I had a time travelling machine just so I could go to the future and read more chapters.

joined Oct 27, 2018

Was shou-chan staring at umi's boobies??? Anyway, this story is so cute and wholesome and sweet i need some insulin.

I think so, I honestly love the way this manga handles the sexuality of it's protagonists, it's very frank about the sexual nature of their attraction, without it feeling lewd, which is still surprisingly rare in yuri, although not as rare as it used to be.

Nyaa
joined Aug 18, 2021

Damn, what a good start for the week! Another chapter of one of my favorites!

I can't even be mad about the girl and her little sister taking away the potential "being alone together watching fireworks" moment, cause everything is just handled so well in this story! It still felt like they were kind of in their own separate world together in that moment. Hopefully we do get another festival in the future though, cause I still want the fireworks kiss scene that was sorta denied here (it's super cliché, but I'm a sucker for it).

And I can't believe even the little brother (a character archetype that tends to be a little annoying in yuri) turned out to be cute here haha. I like that Umi realized he got an instant crush on Shou as well - once again, our MC is incredibly perceptive!

I think so, I honestly love the way this manga handles the sexuality of it's protagonists, it's very frank about the sexual nature of their attraction, without it feeling lewd, which is still surprisingly rare in yuri, although not as rare as it used to be.

Absolutely, this is one of the best parts of this manga. I want them to be attracted to each other cause, you know, it's a romantic story, but I definitely don't need/want to see two teenagers getting it on hard. It's rare that we get a yuri story that balances things out this well. It's not asexual (nor borderline, as it's clear there's attraction in that sense), but it's not creepy either.

Finally, as always, thanks for the translation!!

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

stares at girlfriend's tits for a few minutes

"Wow I guess I really AM gay"

Raven%20dialogue%202%20dynasty
joined Jul 23, 2021

Another chapter that was just super cleansing for the soul.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Masturbation tag when?

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

this series gives me life

Ricowow
joined Dec 23, 2020

I absolutely adore the series, but...it sort of feels like the subplot of finding the mermaid has taken a backseat? I do hope we see some more development on that front, even if it takes a turn for the supernatural. At the moment, though, the pacing, art and story are quite wholesome!

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

I almost cried at page 20 when Umi had the presence of mind to comfort her and say, "Sorry to make you wait like that." There's such conscientiousness from both of them, so many of their interactions feel so tender and wholesome. And I love love love the consistent artistic choice to simply show interactions like this without any particular exposition or dialogue. Really drives home the genuine care they have for each other.

ozzy posted:

is that Orange Pekoe???

Yes! Would absolutely encourage everyone to support the girls if they wish and are able to. You can do so on Fanbox, just click "Become a FAN," enter payment info and you're done! (I think!)

Fb_img_1492462408743
joined Jan 18, 2014

I absolutely adore the series, but...it sort of feels like the subplot of finding the mermaid has taken a backseat? I do hope we see some more development on that front, even if it takes a turn for the supernatural. At the moment, though, the pacing, art and story are quite wholesome!

It was mentioned again on the last chapter when Umi went to the library, but the only remainder of it is Shou's little mommy issues, as more time she passes with Umi the more she forgets about the mermaid as she said on the storm chapter "i always come to the beach, but the whole time i was here i could only think of you"

last edited at Sep 20, 2021 5:30PM

Esha%20icon
joined Mar 31, 2018

Hiro: I want a ball!
Segawa: I dunno about this...
Hiro: I want a shark!
Segawa: Absolutely.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I almost cried at page 20 when Umi had the presence of mind to comfort her and say, "Sorry to make you wait like that." There's such conscientiousness from both of them, so many of their interactions feel so tender and wholesome. And I love love love the consistent artistic choice to simply show interactions like this without any particular exposition or dialogue. Really drives home the genuine care they have for each other.

You put into words what I was thinking exactly. This entiee chapter is chock full of moments of casual intimacy between the two of them, without the stereotypical shoujo inner monologue. There wasn't some big "oh should i grab her hand or should I not" or "oh i feel alone, Umi really is in a different world from me" moment but I feel like the fact that they didn't overemphasize those moments made the whole chapter feel so much more grounded and real in a way a lot of manga struggle to achieve.

joined Nov 22, 2019

The end of last chapter as well as Umi saying they'll be together forever earlier on is giving me some really bad foreshadowing vibes and I don't like it

Akiko%20megaer%20think%20smaller
joined Aug 7, 2021

All I want is more. This series, even with the undercurrent of past loneliness (especially on Shou's side), is infinitely relaxing for me. It's currently hitting all the best parts of a slice of life's series' varying scenery and activities, added onto the stronger focus on story and character progression found in more serious things. I feel like the characters and their relationship are being added onto and blooming with every page. The somewhat unresolved/unsolvable angst is kept to a minimum and quickly eased by Umi and Shou's deep connection to one another. It's perfect.

The end of last chapter as well as Umi saying they'll be together forever earlier on is giving me some really bad foreshadowing vibes and I don't like it

Pls no. This is not allowed.

370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

She's got the hots
The sweats
Dripping with desire
She's got the hungry eyes of a predator
Things were leading up to a kiss I feel, hopefully they get another chance

joined Oct 11, 2018

This manga gives me the vibes of a slice of life anime by KyoAni

To reply you must either login or sign up.