Forum › Citrus + discussion

joined Apr 2, 2018

Mei in the beggining of citrus: I'm going to pin down my new sister and make out with her to show dominance
Mei now: She gave me a light peck when we are alone what do I do now

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

And most of the readers just sit there whining about how Mei isn’t ready for sex yet. Tch.

To adopt your own rhetorical strategy, this is a lie.

Sure, there are plenty of people who would love to see these two have sex, but the biggest problem isn't that "Mei isn't ready to have sex yet," but that she hardly acts like a human being, and her character has actually regressed considerably in maturity from the original series.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

And most of the readers just sit there whining about how Mei isn’t ready for sex yet. Tch.

It is instant gratification for the readers to want sex of the two MCs.
I presume everyone has read all the chapters including the omake. If you recall, at the very beginning, Mei was forced by Amamiya. She later explained to Yuzu that it means nothing. This makes me think that she is the perfect, classical sexual assault victim from multiple men in her lives. If Amamiya has been the only person, she would respond differently.
The way she explain to Yuzu means it is more than once with more than one person. It is just "business".

Anyone here who is dating or have a spouse that was a teenage sexual assault victim of older adult man, will know how hard it is to get certain ideas through to their heads. A lot of them do not consider most of the cases sex and love are related.

I know this process will be slow. When sex happens it happens. She is only 17, think about what that really means, a 17 years old with a history of sexual assault by adult men, with a "look the other way" family guardian who has more interest in the man for business reason, to the girl victim.

That is why I always consider Citrus Plus chapter 6 is crucial. Yuzu finally knows she can work on Mei in tip toes while staying away from those bad sinkholes.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Good girl. :pats:

joined Jul 26, 2016

NGL, Meibot totally blanking on Yuzu's corny cliché was pretty funny.

joined Jan 6, 2017

You know, as much as I want the scenes we all want; it's really nice to see Mei loving Yuzu in her own way. She may not show it much, but she does very much love Yuzu and I think that's pretty nice.

Assumes facts not in evidence.

Mei has become the absent workaholic manga parent while sleeping in the same bed as Yuzu.

oh yeah, "assumes facts" not in evidence

Are you sure we read the same thing?

We absolutely are not reading the same thing-- most of those supposed "examples" of "Mei loving Yuzu in her own way" show Yuzu going all out to elicit some kind of response from Mei and getting absolutely NOTHING in return except a cryptic statement at the end about a "weight being lifted from her heart" that Yuzu doesn't even hear because she's asleep.

Actually, you're right--Mei saying "Thank you, Yuzu--because of your care and consideration I was able to ignore you completely all day" is the quintessential lovey-dovey Mei-bot in a nutshell.

The first two show Mei talking to Yuzu about how she still has work to do (which she has already ignored for Yuzu's sake) and feeling guilty about it. After which she feels thankful that Yuzu understands her. Also it shows that they have developed better communication skills and mutual understanding
The second two show Mei apologising for taking too long followed by her, once again, being very thankful that Yuzu understands and supports her. How do you not read at least this scene as romantic?
And the third shows her saying "okay" to Yuzu's desire to live like newlyweds again. Meaning she might just want to do it too.

People dislike Mei because she isn’t ready to think about sex yet? How annoyingly rude. If you losers tell me Mei has had no character development nor does she have a personality, then don’t even try and tell me that you’ve read Citrus. Because you know that’s a lie. Citrus is a story to read, not a story to read for sex. If Saburouta does not want to draw a sex scene then she doesn’t have too. If sex is the only thing defining the change of Mei’s personality then that’s the most shallow thin-headed thought anyone’s ever got to think of.

In this chapter from the moment Mei told Yuzu, she has work to do instead of hanging out all day, you could tell she realized how she sounded like a workaholic; hence her quick pause, and her face of realization. To which Yuzu tells her it’s okay. After awhile, Mei took a break from work and planned to hang out with Yuzu because she couldn’t resist waiting. However, Mei paused and decided to go work again; fighting the resistance. Those 2 scenes itself is a huge development for Mei. As she’s learning and becoming aware of her duty as a lover along with considering Yuzu’s feelings. Mei used to do and say things without considering Yuzu’s feelings, most times she’s done more harm than if she would’ve just told Yuzu. For now Mei has had great development, in the communication department.

Yuzu is a great girlfriend, she spends her time considering Mei’s feelings and making sure Mei is comfortable. She isn’t obsessed with the idea of having sex with Mei as much as the readers are. Yuzu comprehension and patience with Mei is a super wholesome thing. Both of them are really trying for their relationship.

At least their some people understand what happening in the series.

Fb_img_1596724226396
joined May 14, 2017

sorry but i have to said this
"KAPAN NGENTOTNYA???"

PS : I'm not mad tho
this capter is cute

last edited at Sep 19, 2021 2:12PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It is instant gratification for the readers to want sex of the two MCs.
I presume everyone has read all the chapters including the omake. If you recall, at the very beginning, Mei was forced by Amamiya. She later explained to Yuzu that it means nothing. This makes me think that she is the perfect, classical sexual assault victim from multiple men in her lives. If Amamiya has been the only person, she would respond differently.
The way she explain to Yuzu means it is more than once with more than one person. It is just "business".

This speculation has no textual support at all--Mei is explicit in Chapter 1 that she's talking about what kissing is, and the business with Amemiya is the only reference whatsoever to anything like it in the entire series. In later chapters Mei's attitude about kissing was entirely transformed by her relationship with Yuzu, where several times she was an active and enthusiastic (though usually wary of being discovered) participant in making out. And there's been no suggestion that Mei has ever actually had sex with anyone.

If Mei has been "a sexual assault victim from multiple men in her life," who are these people? Her father? Her grandfather? Members of the school board? Why has there been no reference to any such thing in Mei's life after the very first chapter?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

And the third shows her saying "okay" to Yuzu's desire to live like newlyweds again. Meaning she might just want to do it too.

Mei might want to act like newlyweds again? Have you forgotten (as Mei apparently has) that these two are already engaged to be married, (and canonically they do actually get married)?

What an amazing emotional breakthrough--to consider the possibility that you **might* want to act like a newlywed someday with the person to whom you are already engaged.

joined Oct 14, 2020

If I didn't know any better I'd think this was a forced one-sided relationship from blackmail or something. Mei has the emotional depth of a spoon while Yuzu is trying her damnedest to get some kind of emotion from her lol.

joined Jan 6, 2017

Mei might want to act like newlyweds again? Have you forgotten (as Mei apparently has) that these two are already engaged to be married, (and canonically they do actually get married)?

What an amazing emotional breakthrough--to consider the possibility that you **might* want to act like a newlywed someday with the person to whom you are already engaged.

guess the tone wasn't carried through. The "might" was meant to be sarcastic

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

If I didn't know any better I'd think this was a forced one-sided relationship from blackmail or something. Mei has the emotional depth of a spoon while Yuzu is trying her damnedest to get some kind of emotion from her lol.

LOL--you're right. If you look at this as being in the "forced cohabitation" genre it gets a lot more explicable.

And quite a bit funnier.

Sungji
joined Mar 23, 2011

ugh this manga is going downhill for me, but idk why I keep sticking to it.... -_- alas, I'm wishful-

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

Had this been any other manga, I would’ve been shocked, like “that’s it?!” but since this is Citrus, I have other thoughts.

I will admit, it really feels like Mei has regressed since a couple of chapters ago, I was hoping for a smile or atleast a kiss from her, but I guess at the end of the day Mei is still Mei.
It’s really admirable of Yuzu to just keep on loving her and showing her the insane amounts of affection she is while Mei just does her own thing.

Anyone here who is dating or have a spouse that was a teenage sexual assault victim of older adult man, will know how hard it is to get certain ideas through to their heads. A lot of them do not consider most of the cases sex and love are related.

It is uncertain wether or not Mei is actually a victim of SA. It seems to me like she just had a terrible childhood, where life to her was nothing but, wake up, eat, work, sleep, to always act in a professional manner regardless of personal emotions, and that is why things like sex and affection seem so foreign.

It’s kind of funny though, just a couple of days ago on Twitter and Facebook people were like “omg is it finally gonna happen???” and then we get hit with this. Personally it’s still too early for me to drop it, I’m pretty interested to see where this all goes, and when sex finally DOES happen, it’ll just make it all worth it!

last edited at Sep 19, 2021 2:46PM

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

This was an adorable chapter.

Yuzu really cranked up the gay in this chapter and is pretty heartwarming to see how much she loves Mei. That said, I don't think she was really wanting to fuck but rather she was just doing all the corny shit she undoubtedly picked up from an extremely fluffy shoujo manga.

I disagree with the idea that Mei is cold or uninterested towards Yuzu, it has been clear for a while now that she also adores Yuzu but she just doesn't know how to properly express it and her laser focus on living up to the Aihara's family name has left her completely lost when it comes to romance. But she's really trying to learn for Yuzu's sake.

Also, I love how Sub draws them looking older now.

Oh, and thank you so much Megumiaki for joining Chaosteam as the series' translator.

6dc89f5c-43ac-44ad-a0d6-fe9ddf4f2fb2
joined Sep 2, 2021

I really love this series and have no plans on dropping it, but I feel like Mei was especially deadpan this chapter, like she regressed a little. I get why she works so hard, and her realizing that while washing the dishes was nice, but her stopping herself from hanging out with Yuzu seemed off this far into the series.You'd think that this far along she'd learn to take breaks, especially on her lovers birthday. And then, when she finally does spend time with Yuzu, she just kinda sits there while Yuzu cuddles her and it just all seems very one sided. And then when she talks about the weight being lifted from her heart, she dosen't even crack a smile. She says it so robotically, which would have been fitting earlier when she's learning how to be in a relationship, but not in volume 4 of the sequal manga. Similarly, Yuzu basically have to explain to Mei why being given affection by your lover feels nice, even if you're already in a relationship was so flat for this kind supposed character development. The only time we see Mei show any emotion in this supposedly touching chapter is when Yuzu kisses her ears and she blushes. I honestly love these characters and their dynamic and Yuzu has clearly matured, I just wish that after all this time we could see Mei reciprocate a little more, thats all.

Mei thought lovers liked hearing “I love you” because she tied to it being insecure about the relationship. But Yuzu tells her it’s just a form of affection and that it feels nice to hear it once in a while. With that in mind, you get the sense that Mei is confident in their relationship she didn’t need to hear “I love you” nor say it to Yuzu. Again she perceived Yuzu’s feelings in a wrong sense. This chapter again shows her slowly becoming aware of her duty as Yuzu’s lover. The scene where Mei feels weight being lifted off her heart doesn’t need a smile for readers to know that she is sincere about what she said. Readers just need to know that Mei said it, considering what you all said, “She is robotic” Robots don’t have feelings, they cannot express feelings. Mei does not express her expression, but she is slowly expressing her feelings. I’m defending Mei, because there were so many times in the Manga(Main) where she has expressed facial expression or showed her vulnerability to Yuzu/others.

By the way, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am in no way trying to tell anyone to change their mind about Mei, think what you want. I am solely complaining and just analyzing the book. Again just so we’re clear, I am in no way stripping anyone of their rights to their opinions. I am just disagreeing and complaining on my end. I understand that Mei is a cold person, both in expression and feelings; and yes that can get annoying sometimes. But I cannot just brush past the many events that happened in the book.

(I just felt like putting the disclaimer, because there have been many times in a discussion where people misunderstood my intentions. I’m just a salty lil sodium, lmfao.)

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

I liked this series so much, even with the free drama, but I agree with some people here, it does feel one-sided and it's not even about sex, I kinda accepted they aren't gonna do it even if they have 40 more chapters, but the emotional intimacy.. It kinda was around somehow at some point, now it feels, for me, a bit like "Mei: Ah, Yuzu you here, ok cool and Yuzu:Mei,I love you wan wanna spend quality time with you"

Meibot would do well to go ask the wizard for a heart sometime soon

:) PS I don't care enough about this to argue back, I love the art, and I am hoping good things (or good as I perceive them, should I say) will happen soon.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I understand that Mei is a cold person, both in expression and feelings; and yes that can get annoying sometimes. But I cannot just brush past the many events that happened in the book.

Mei has not always been depicted as as a "cold person"--quite the contrary. She has been depicted as a very repressed person who hides her vulnerabilities, but Mei's initial characterization in the original series was that she was a highly passionate person underneath all that repression.

She was not always portrayed as someone who was profoundly clueless about other people's feelings, either. The basic emotional dynamic of the initial series was that Yuzu not only helped Mei open up about her feelings but also helped her to channel her previously untapped passion into an affectionate relationship with her stepsister.

That's why the trembling, socially clueless, sexually naive Mei of Citrus + is so frustrating--the issue isn't that the two don't have sex (although even Matsuri thinks that step is long overdue), it's that Mei seems to have regressed in maturity by about a half-dozen years and also to have forgotten why she ever embarked on a relationship with Yuzu in the first place.

And to clarify--I'm not criticizing Mei Aihara as an imaginary person; I've always thought that Mei was by far the (potentially) most interesting character in the series. I'm criticizing the author's execution of Mei's characterization, which I think has been inconsistent and basically a botched job ever since that second arranged marriage came out of nowhere.

last edited at Sep 19, 2021 4:56PM

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

I just respect Chaosteam so so so so much

Rsz_file_000
joined May 20, 2019

This chapter has solidified that as long as I get to see Yuzu and Mei being sweet and wholesome like this, I don’t care how long I have to wait to see them do the do.

I can understand how some might view this as Mei being unaffectionate, but the way I see it, this is just how they are. Not every couple has to be kissy-cuddly-lovey-dovey 24/7 to be functional. Yuzu and Mei are head over heels for each other, they just express it in different capacities. They’re opposites attract to an extreme, which is probably why it’s all Greek to most around here.

Mei stopped herself when she said she’d be working, remembering how that hurt Yuzu last time. She talked to Yuzu about an aspect of “newlyweds” that she didn’t understand to try and understand it. She cuddled up to Yuzu in bed when in the last few chapters we saw them sleeping together they were apart. She agrees to Yuzu’s suggestion that they have a day like this again. (Yes she’s still dense as a harem protagonist, but that’s clearly being played for laughs)

Mei does love Yuzu and expresses that whenever she can, but being super affectionate just isn’t her style. Yuzu knows this and loves her regardless. That, to me, is beautiful. Love doesn’t always make sense, especially to people outside looking in, but as long as it makes the couple in question happy, I see nothing wrong.

Aaaaaaahmaka!!!
joined Jul 22, 2014

Boring, boring, it's a shame that after the original series became so incoherent, people with power to launch manga in the market thought that it was necessary to make even more, a big disappointment, what a waste.

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

I'm melting, CUUUUUTE

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

cuuuuute

But it's weird seeing the responses here.

Of course Mei doesn't know what the fuck to do, she's an r*pe and assault victim who is now with a lovely golden retriever whom she does love. But she actually doesn't know how to reciprocate because she's used to the shitty men that were in her life. Like just accepting her touching her and accepting that love is a lot for someone who is repressed and emotionally holding a lot back :(

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I hate it, in stories, when one partner wants to be romantic, and love-y dove-y, and the other acts like it's a nuisance. It almost always means the couple's relationship is headed for the rocks.

And for the record, I think the dinner, bath or me, line is just a stupid sexual innuendo that cought on as a cute joke about how newlyweds are suppose to crave sex with each other constantly.

last edited at Sep 19, 2021 8:22PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.