Forum › Ise-san and Shima-san discussion

bloodonthewater
Bigj
joined Jul 7, 2021

SHE'S IN BOYS, SHE DID IT. SHE SAID IT! HORN SOUND

Shoujo%20kageki%20revue%20starlight%20-%2009%20-%20large%2035
joined Apr 22, 2017

That is the best chapter so far. Now, get marry!

171916058_766151651006457_8862797204478305454_n
joined Apr 6, 2021

LET'S DO THIS! LET'S GOOOOOOOOO!!!

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

Tbh I think we lowered our yuri chance, but it might be the single best manga since like at least 4 months.

And damn, this changes a lot of views on this manga

Esha%20icon
joined Mar 31, 2018

YOOOOO! Shima is Gay/Bi confirmed!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Tbh I think we lowered our yuri chance, but it might be the single best manga since like at least 4 months.

And damn, this changes a lot of views on this manga

It certainly does throw a rather different light on things to know that Shima's sexuality has been on the table since the start, doesn't it?

In the most basic sense, we've got two protagonists, one of whom is an out lesbian. All we need is for the other one to have a same-sex-romance epiphany, and voila--achieved yuri.

But Shima's wingwoman efforts in regard to Ise-san's nice-married-guy seems a bit different now, as do the repeated "I can't meet anyone" complaints, and as do the flirty mutual compliments.

In real life, I personally know (or know of) lesbians who are best-gal-pal roommates with straight women. But in the context of this particular roommates manga, Shima's overt statement of her sexuality sends up a flag, although which one isn't entirely clear.

20220617_152146
joined Apr 2, 2020

HOLY SHIT ch15 really caught me by surprise..

Rise192_78
joined Aug 22, 2013

but what happened to Ise-san’s dog?????? Haha

But I’m kinda conflicted. On the one hand the way they live with each other is such a cute married couple vibe… on the other I really appreciate how they can be that close with each other (without the closeness being driven by romance… it’s like even more romantic that it’s not being drive by romance but something else… common goals? Similar outlooks on life (curiosity and wanting to explore new things)… Some of my best friends are straight (myself being gay) and there’s just no waaaaay I have that kind of relationship with them…. I don’t think I could ever live with any of them (even though similar life values… I don’t think similar life habits so we probably wouldn’t be good roommates and I don’t “love” them enough to make exceptions lol)…… and as I’m writing this out I wanna see conflict between the and how it gets resolved lol… I feel like that’s the biggest indicator of whether a relationship makes or breaks…. The last chapter seemed to add in a foreshadow so maybe I’ll get my wish haha.

Until then I’ll reread from the beginning…. Knowing what we know now about Shima and the fact that Ise knows puts everything else in a different perspective.

Fwerpng
joined Jul 25, 2017

LFG!

joined Mar 24, 2021

but what happened to Ise-san’s dog?????? Haha

I think it was stated that it was a family dog.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

Chapter 15 was excellent. I wonder if this one will need the yuri tag soon <3

joined Dec 1, 2016

WOOOHOOOOOOO LET'S FUCKING GOOIIIOOOO

Youmu-nio-160pxw
joined Jun 20, 2019

This text is rapidly losing its Sub.

What's the "work year" thing they've mentioned a few times? Is it unusual to hire on in certain months?

Glsp3y3v_400x400
joined Nov 19, 2020

honestly even tho i want them to date, i think i'd be almst as happy with them finding love independently but continuing to live together!

Pov_youre_a_triple_mugger
joined Feb 19, 2016

YOOOOOOOO
Now this is a nice development, this changes the perspective on a lot of the earlier events

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

This text is rapidly losing its Sub.

What's the "work year" thing they've mentioned a few times? Is it unusual to hire on in certain months?

It's a common practice in Japanese corporations to only hire right at the end of the college school year . College students aim to have a job lined up before they graduate. If they don't they often have to wait an entire year before the corporations start hiring again.

All of the paperwork in a job application is handwritten, including your resume. If you apply for 50 jobs, you have to handwrite 50 copies of your resume in flawless calligraphy, hence Shima's complaint about the paper work.

Rereading with chapter 15 in mind definitely changes the reading of some earlier chapters. This page is even more hilarious now: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/ise_san_and_shima_san_ch03

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

Rereading with chapter 15 in mind definitely changes the reading of some earlier chapters. This page is even more hilarious now: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/ise_san_and_shima_san_ch03

This is probably just me projecting but it seems like she wouldn't be against it if it wasn't a misunderstanding

De00e7f3-5d55-4e3c-951c-ebac52dc90c4_1_102_o
joined Jul 14, 2021

this is one of the best mamgas ive read in a while

joined Mar 8, 2020

haven't checked the translation for this one work much, but all i remember is that this one ended like in november last year with chapter 21 right, probably gonna check and read again once the translation for this is done

last edited at Jul 29, 2021 1:56AM

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

This really took me by surprise!!!! I honestly thought they were just gonna be subtext roommates that were actually both straight. So Shima being canonically gay was something I never saw coming!

I would still be happy if these two remain friends though but eventually find partners. Dang! Canonically gay. God damn!

joined Aug 21, 2017

Interesting development... as others have said, it's certainly interesting when a new development gives us a new perspective on past events.

saltyslug5561
Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Poor Shima has gone through a really rough patch huh?

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

I wanted to say I'm not surprised, but I'm honestly surprised

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I think the subtext of this manga is rapidly becoming . . . text.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

You know, aside from the sexuality, I really appreciate that this is one of the few manga that has what I would consider a realistic attitude towards work. Well I mean, in practice my attitude is slightly different, but that's because I get to work in a library, which means I both have a sacred mission and am surrounded by books. If I had to work in some office I can't imagine having the sort of eager beaver, pretending it all matters attitude so many Japanese characters seem to have.

To reply you must either login or sign up.