Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Begging your pardon, if I may interject, I think you're getting hung up on distinctions that are, admittedly, important in a historical sense, but which most people genuinely don't care about. For a lot of readers anything that they view as "old" is simply all lumped together under the blanket term "medieval." I've seen people call a story set in a clearly 19th-century Britain style setting "medieval." Is it ridiculous? Of course it is! And in that particular case very few other readers agreed with them. But most of the time most people will simply refer to a "generic fantasy setting" as medieval because that's a comfortable label for them. They have a mental image of what medieval means for them, and they simply don't care enough to evolve it beyond that.

Now yes, this is a post-renaissance setting. I can tell that, and I think many readers, if they're willing to take the time to actually consider it, will be able to recognize that was well. But a lot of people simply won't care enough to bother. It's "generic fantasy setting" to them, which means it's "medieval" so far as they're concerned. I don't think it's worth getting in a protracted discussion about, because you'll just get frustrated.

last edited at Jun 27, 2021 4:52PM

joined Jun 6, 2021

Begging your pardon,

You haven't got it, because you're repeating things already said, some of which were never contested and the rest of which have been met with points that you're just ignoring.

I don't think it's worth getting in a protracted discussion about, because you'll just get frustrated.

And, yet, here you are, doing your best to get the argument about whether the distinction was worth noting or defending back off the ground after it was basically done.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

Yeah that's stuff i learn at mid school, but since that was long ago and i'm not particulary engaged on the world bulding i just used the medieval label wich propably was wrong/lazy on my part
However my point was that the manga overexplains stuff that based on the setting could be easily inferred and made the enourmous exposition unbeareable at times
And while your remark is true it completly misses the point of my original post

joined Jun 6, 2021

And while your remark is true it completly misses the point of my original post

I didn't miss the point; I saw no reason to express agreement or disagreement with your main thesis.

But, if you want my opinion, then I'd say that you are right in-so-far as stories should show rather than tell (that is to say that they should convey the story by describing what would be witnessed), but as the story develops, and becomes far less comedic, one way or another it requires more world than if it had just stayed a comedy, so the author has to do more world-building. However, even setting aside how the world is presented to the audience, it is not well constructed.

last edited at Jun 28, 2021 6:09AM

50d13a199dce85e34f5bbb7ccb4f798c
joined Jan 4, 2021

YES! The fight between two (future) lovers I've been waiting for!

Touhou%20i.2
joined May 16, 2021

Well goddamn I already caught up....

There's some nice interactions and set-up that's done already that can help to propel the story. Would be expecting more from this!

last edited at Jul 5, 2021 7:06AM

Jpeg_20190202_220408
joined Mar 21, 2019

Thank you for the chapter!
I hope youre doing well, im sorry for your loss buddy :/

70c3f8ab-421d-4a3a-a7dd-10f3027d0f65
joined Mar 2, 2020

I'm sorry for your loss, and I thank you for working on this chapter, I like this story but I would not mind waiting for it if the person in charge had to take a break. I hope you're feeling better.

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

bless, sorry for ur loss :(

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

great chapter tho! thank u :)

joined Jan 14, 2020

Yes, my sympathies to the translator.

But Rei's so fun to watch.

Maxresdefault-1
joined Mar 24, 2021

I guess "I'm always thinking about you, Lady Claire <3" isn't too far off the mark

im sorry for your loss, please do take a break if u need it, and thank you for the chapter.

last edited at Jul 25, 2021 1:13AM

joined Apr 15, 2013

I lost my dog during the covid lockdown. It's a special kind of pain, and I'm sorry you have to experience it.

I read this part in the light novel, and they do pretty much forget about the familiar most of the time. I'm glad the manga addresses it.

Rise192_78
joined Aug 22, 2013

I’m sorry you lost your buddy. May your memories of him live on through you and may he Rest In Peace.

joined Jun 6, 2021

As Mark Twain noted, the one short-coming of dogs is that they do not live nearly long enough. I regret the scanlator's loss.

saltyslug5561
Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Tsk tsk. What kind of parents forget about their kid after just one steamy session. I am disapoint

Meiavatar
joined Feb 9, 2017

Favourite moment was Relaire joining in with the Princes doing their Rei impression.

joined Dec 21, 2016

Sorry for your loss, pal.

Human_Silhouette
joined Jul 25, 2021

I wanted to say thank you for the work and effort put into the translation and I am sorry you’re experiencing the loss of your friend, I lost my dog a few years ago and it’s a unique type of pain.

In regards to this current chapter, I think the fight scene was handled intelligently by both party's and that it fit both personalities well.

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

Rest in peace your dog. While you might just be few words on the screen for me, I appreciate the work you do in translating this. Thanks.

I am now even more curious what is going to happen later so much that Rei is making Claire reaffirm her promise. Must be pretty serious. Also I love that the two guys did a good impression of Rei, everyone just knows her antics with Claire.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Cuteness overload.
Also love how the princes have already gotten completely used to Rei's antics around Claire

joined Mar 27, 2020

Sorry for your loss, I'm sure you gave your dog an awesome life.

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

When I first read this battle in the novel, I noted fairly quickly that Rei was only using her earth powers, despite controlling an element that would have been much more effective against Claire's fire. That's a rather blatant display of Rei's superior skill.

Ah, making the vow the second time. It will bother me that Claire is going to break those vows.

Cool
joined Apr 4, 2021

I'm sorry for your loss

50d13a199dce85e34f5bbb7ccb4f798c
joined Jan 4, 2021

I'm so sorry for your loss, I know how painful it is to lose your companion, so I'm grateful that you still managed to translate this chapter for us.

On another less sad note, I thought that Prince Thauner (?) with the water slime in the end was hilarious

last edited at Jul 25, 2021 8:45AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.