Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

Ba6830e9-5391-43ab-838d-9b1794f709e7
joined Jul 8, 2013

I find battle manga utterly boring, but I’m still looking forward to their fight. At least this isn’t going full shonen where they each make comebacks and power up at the end of each chapter for 20 chapters of cliched dullness. So far, lol. Still the most fun I’ve had with an isekai.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Chapter 11 did very little other than to set-up a cliff-hanger. There was not enough story for more than thirty pages.

Well, it's just following the novel exactly, this is just what happened in it.

This adaptation is doing surprisingly well to make things more interesting, even. Relaire might actually stick around and the announcers feel a lot more consistent with later arcs in the story. It's already starting to feel more cohesive

Very true, the manga sticks closely enough to the novel to not feel like anything is missing, but takes a few liberties here and there that actually make the entire thing flow better. Overall it feels a bit more comedic and Claire goes into dere-mode a lot more and earlier. I'm really curious to see how the manga will handle future parts of the story, particularly when it gets to the more serious bits.

Really not looking forward to the Manaria arc though, I hate that character so much

last edited at Jun 24, 2021 12:25PM

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Chapter 11 did very little other than to set-up a cliff-hanger. There was not enough story for more than thirty pages.

It's a battle shonen now I guess, the fights are the point of tournament arcs

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

this is so fucking good i love it

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

relaire is literally their child and claire has accepted that

saltyslug5561
Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Rei is enjoying Mommy Claire a bit too much.

Tanya33ff
joined Sep 10, 2019

I absolutely loved chapter 11 and can't wait for chapter 12 where Rae and Claire battles

joined Jun 6, 2021

Since the mode of story-telling is different, a one-to-one chapter adaptation would be unlikely to be the best telling in the adaptation, even on the assumption that the original had used each chapter wisely.

joined Jan 6, 2017

Since the mode of story-telling is different, a one-to-one chapter adaptation would be unlikely to be the best telling in the adaptation, even on the assumption that the original had used each chapter wisely.

In the web novel the two fights (Seine vs Yuu and Rod vs Misha) were separate "chapters" which means that the manga is actually faster paced thanks to it being visual instead.
(well, technically they're not chapters but it's the only term I can think of. All the fights are actually just separate parts of chapter 2)

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

the manga is triying so hard to make people invested on the world (wich is a good thing) but god damnit everything is so generic that the exposition some times is just unbearable.

The setting is just your run of the mill medieval fantasy world, why the manga feels the need to over explain every little detail is not like people haven´t seen this setting a million times before, also the magic, you don´t need to over explain every little detail, just show some cool techniques and call it a day is just elemental magic it doesn´t need to make sense or be overly complicated

joined Jun 6, 2021

(well, technically they're not chapters but it's the only term I can think of.

“installment”

joined Jun 6, 2021

The setting is just your run of the mill medieval fantasy world,

This world is not like the Mediaeval period. In fact, it's closest to something post-Renaissance. There doesn't seem to be or have been anything like a Reformation, but the standard-of-living seems about that of the Enlightenment, and Leveller sentiment is stirring.

joined Jun 6, 2021

In the web novel the two fights (Seine vs Yuu and Rod vs Misha) were separate "chapters" which means that the manga is actually faster paced thanks to it being visual instead.

Okay; but it still offered far too little story for 30-something pages. I have learned that the power exhibitted by one of the characters has some bearing on a later chapter such that if one accepts the importance of that later story-telling, then some laboring was useful, but still too little story was delivered.

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

Oooooffff that was a rooough chapter

joined Apr 8, 2021

The setting is just your run of the mill medieval fantasy world,

This world is not like the Mediaeval period. In fact, it's closest to something post-Renaissance. There doesn't seem to be or have been anything like a Reformation, but the standard-of-living seems about that of the Enlightenment, and Leveller sentiment is stirring.

Broadly speaking, I think "medieval" is interchangeable with "pre-industrialisation" to the layman. I don't think the average person cares to distinguish between medieval fantasy and Renaissance-era fantasy.

Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

I can't get over how adorable that slime is.

At least this isn’t going full shonen where they each make comebacks and power up at the end of each chapter for 20 chapters of cliched dullness.

Laughs in Gintama fights

Jokes aside, I don't particulary mind the classics.

joined Jun 6, 2021

Broadly speaking, I think "medieval" is interchangeable with "pre-industrialisation" to the layman. I don't think the average person cares to distinguish between medieval fantasy and Renaissance-era fantasy.

Again, this fantasy is set in a world like that after the Renaissance.

And you're misusing the term “layman”. While I would agree that not many people particularly care, any westerner who paid attention in grade school would know that “medieval” refers to the period between the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the Renaissance. So we're not writing about laypeople as such; we're writing about people who didn't pay attention, or later just said ​“fukkit” to what they learned.

Given that, in turn, this means that they aren't well positioned to understand how we got where we are, where we could be, or where we are currently being led, that's quite unfortunate. Indeed, as the story develops, it becomes clear that the author conceives of only two social orders as possible, aristocracy and the welfare state.

joined Apr 8, 2021

Again, this fantasy is set in a world like that after the Renaissance.

And you're misusing the term “layman”. While I would agree that not many people particularly care, any westerner who paid attention in grade school would know that “medieval” refers to the period between the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the Renaissance. So we're not writing about laypeople as such; we're writing about people who didn't pay attention, or later just said ​“fukkit” to what they learned.

Given that, in turn, this means that they aren't well positioned to understand how we got where we are, where we could be, or where we are currently being led, that's quite unfortunate. Indeed, as the story develops, it becomes clear that the author conceives of only two social orders as possible, aristocracy and the welfare state.

Uwahh, do you realise how obnoxiously pedantic you come off as? The point is that fantasy, stereotypically, takes place in a low-tech world, ie, pre-industrialisation. They were conveying that it's just another generic pre-industrial fantasy world with their comment; nobody cares exactly what era it's based in so much as the lack of more modern technology.

To a historian, "medieval" refers to a specific period of time. To somebody who is not a historian, or in other words a layman (since I have to spell this out for you), it might as well mean "old". You can lament the state of education on history all you want, but the reality is that if you took 10 people off the street at random and had them read this manga, approximately zero of them would say "this is post-Renaissance fantasy" when asked to describe the setting.

Your usage of 'grade school' suggests that you're American, but the idea that American schoolchildren under the age of 10 are well-enough educated on European history to differentiate the eras is, frankly, preposterous. There's no reason to stoop to the level of insulting people's intelligence by suggesting that they're more moronic than a child for not being that informed; as a non-European myself, I didn't learn anything meaningful about European history until I studied it in university.

joined Jan 14, 2020

And you're misusing the term “layman”. While I would agree that not many people particularly care, any westerner who paid attention in grade school would know that “medieval” refers to the period between the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the Renaissance.

LOL. I really doubt my grade school history/social studies classes made any such clear distinction. I have to 'doubt' because I barely remember what those classes were like, other than a vague memory of "from Mesopotamia to WWI, year after year".

As for "any Westerner", someone from e.g. France or Italy might not even divide history up the same way English speaking history does. I do know I read a translated French book that used 'classical period' very differently than "classical Greece and Rome".

joined Jul 28, 2020

Relaire making a Joey face caught me off-guard, I never expected it to so add much to every chapter just by being on Rei's head, specially compared to the novel.
Cutest slime must be protected.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

This entire debate about medieval vs renaissance, etc. doesn't really make sense anyway. Differences between time periods are fluid anyway and many things that we'd associate with post-medieval times aren't a thing in this fantasy world, e.g. there's no gunpowder. With magic, technology is quite different from the real world, so it's hard to compare.
Also, in the novel the MC often talks about how the world is weirdly like modern Japan due to being created by a Japanese developer. So overall, this world is very much supposed to be a generic fantasy setting, because that's literally what it was from the very beginning. Let's not forget this was an otome game...

Linterdiction
Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

Shoutouts to Simpleflips (I would never in a million years think I would ever see a simpleflips reference here. My worlds really are colliding.)

Also am I the only one who imagines the overzealous announcer with the Pokemon anime announcer voice?

Wow we're seeing a lot of GBJ in updates today. Shoutouts to Simpleflips.

Sorry, what? There have been more simpleflips references today? What the hell did I miss?

We got one in a Looking Up to Magical Girls bonus chapter too

joined Jun 6, 2021

{end snip}

Uwahh, do you realise how obnoxiously pedantic you come off as?

Oh, I understand that people being called-out for laziness are going to look for excuses, and tell themselves that any fault here is mine.

The point is that fantasy, stereotypically, takes place in a low-tech world, ie, pre-industrialisation.

No, since that was never disputed, it's plainly not the point.

You could as well claim that any story that were pre-indusrial could be called “stone age”, because the paleolithic and neolithic periods were also pre-industrial.

To somebody who is not a historian, or in other words a layman (since I have to spell this out for you), it might as well mean "old".

What was already spelled out was that it isn't just historians who know better, but you're trying to power-through that point. And I also explained (to your evident irritation) why laypeople ought to have a general understanding of how the social order has evolved.

the reality is that if you took 10 people off the street at random and had them read this manga, approximately zero of them would say "this is post-Renaissance fantasy" when asked to describe the setting.

That's also not under dispute.

Your usage of 'grade school' suggests that you're American, but the idea that American schoolchildren under the age of 10 are well-enough educated on European history to differentiate the eras is, frankly, preposterous.

It is preposterous to someone who either didn't attend American grade school and guesses wrongly about it, or did so somnabulistically.

I'm not a historian. I attended state-run grade schools in three different districts. A small set of publishers dominate the market for school-books, and nearly all publishers, in or out of this set, try to produce books conforming to the curricular demands of the biggest markets. So I know what was taught in almost every American grade school at the time.

There's no reason to stoop to the level of insulting people's intelligence by suggesting that they're more moronic than a child for not being that informed;

First, I didn't attribute not learning or forgetting to stupidity. But, second, to think that children are “moronic” for being uninformed is, well, itself pretty damn'd stupid.

as a non-European myself, I didn't learn anything meaningful about European history until I studied it in university.

If you're a westerner, that's your fault, and getting angry at me won't magically change things. (If you're not a westerner, then you shouldn't treat your conjecture about the curriculum as certain truth.)

It might be easier for people to learn and retain an understanding of history if popular culture didn't get so much wrong, but people such as you rise up in counter-objection when a comment is made, and then want to debate when your counter-objection is rebutted.

last edited at Jun 27, 2021 5:17AM

joined Jun 6, 2021

As for "any Westerner", someone from e.g. France or Italy might not even divide history up the same way English speaking history does.

The broad categories are the same, and indeed the Renaissance (Rebirth) was named by thinkers at the time. (That point about the name is seldom taught, even at a college level.)

I do know I read a translated French book that used 'classical period' very differently than "classical Greece and Rome".

What is called “classical” is dependent upon the subject; for example, it means different things in music and in economics.

But “Mediaeval”, “Middle Ages”, and the analogous terms in other European languages are used for the span from the fall of Rome to the supposed Rebirth that began in the Fifteenth Century and lasted until the Reformation took hold.

joined Jun 6, 2021

Differences between time periods are fluid anyway

The boundary between two successive periods is fuzzy. But the Mediaeval Period and any post-Renaissance period are separated by one or more intermediate periods of many decades; there's no ambiguity.

many things that we'd associate with post-medieval times aren't a thing in this fantasy world, e.g. there's no gunpowder.

True enough, and I've already mentioned the absence of a Reformation; but that's not a refutation of the point that this world is not like the Mediaeval Period, and is socio-economically more like a post-Renaissance period.

So overall, this world is very much supposed to be a generic fantasy setting, because that's literally what it was from the very beginning.

Sure; and, if it were just called that, it would have been pointless to note that it weren't Mediaeval.

If a story were said to be in Japan of the Kamakura Period, but the socio-economics were more like those of the Edo Period or Meiji Period, and someone said as much, then it's likely that no one would have responded with a dressed-up “No one cares!” Instead, there'd probably be a few nods, some mention of inconsistencies, and that'd be it.

last edited at Jun 27, 2021 6:39AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.