Forum › Yamada to Kase-san discussion

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

That soil garden "prince" is a mess. You don't dip your gnarly hands into a girl's own genius flower arrangement, sir, then mansplain how the frick it's done. And if Yui's wrathful stares had daggers in them, you, sir, would deserve an untimely death.

I’ve been wanting a Yamada-as-gardening-ace chapter, and this one shows she’s got talent and taste.

Yamada’s self-direction and diligence is what attracted Kase’s attention in the first place, and it’s nice to see her forging ahead in her chosen avocation.

The fact that she was given a spot of her own in the garden section of their uni is proof higher-ups see her craftsmanship. Getting the respect and admiration of a legendary figure i.e flower prince is ultimately good for Yamada and is already a plus. Tho for me I'd be shocked at, rather than giving suggestions for improvement, a mentor would suddenly fix stuff for you or suddenly make changes to your work without asking for permission. I was laughing at that scene with Yui's enraged face.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Wow. I'm impressed at how far off the rails this whole mess has gotten. Well done, I suppose.

Now is the time to rest on your laurels and congratulate yourselves. And not to continue this whole nonsense with further posts. Let your perfect bad conversation stand on its own, don't ruin it by gilding the lily.

Nezchan! It's been a while! We missed you!
Thank you as always for shooing the mosquitoes from our picnic.

joined Dec 28, 2016

Half the reason I come to the comment sections on dynasty scans is to read what nutcases occasionally post into this website. It's incredibly amusing. That was quite the amazing past few pages of the banned/deleted user. This website more than any other manga website seems to cause crazy people to come out of the wordwork.

Now on the actual topic at hand, I'm fine with Kase being jealous. She doesn't have much free time to come to Yamada so she's rightfully worried when someone suddenly sends her a photo of her girlfriend giving a crazy blush posing next to a very handsome guy and then for the entire next day she can't reach her girlfriend on the phone to ask her about it. I'm a guy and I'd certainly be worried/concerned.

(Now I do think the author is using jealousy as a plot device too much, but the jealousy is not without reason in this specific situation.)

What they really need to do is just move in together already.

last edited at Feb 1, 2021 1:21AM

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

I always find the pay off to be worth it in this series so if it means getting some sweet Xmas date then this jealousy thing feels minor. I guess part of it is the fact that they're already a couple so I don't actually have any worries. Like say in comparison to more useless lesbians where every chapter is two to three steps backwards.

En7lgnjwaaad25y
joined Dec 28, 2018

That soil garden "prince" is a mess. You don't dip your gnarly hands into a girl's own genius flower arrangement, sir, then mansplain how the frick it's done. And if Yui's wrathful stares had daggers in them, you, sir, would deserve an untimely death.

I’ve been wanting a Yamada-as-gardening-ace chapter, and this one shows she’s got talent and taste.

Yamada’s self-direction and diligence is what attracted Kase’s attention in the first place, and it’s nice to see her forging ahead in her chosen avocation.

The fact that she was given a spot of her own in the garden section of their uni is proof higher-ups see her craftsmanship. Getting the respect and admiration of a legendary figure i.e flower prince is ultimately good for Yamada and is already a plus. Tho for me I'd be shocked at, rather than giving suggestions for improvement, a mentor would suddenly fix stuff for you or suddenly make changes to your work without asking for permission. I was laughing at that scene with Yui's enraged face.

I think it's meant to be a "stuck-up celebrity" thing with the flower prince, given how he's been portrayed thus far. So high on his own BS that he doesn't even think about how someone who isn't enamored with him will react when he acts out of line.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

This.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It’s not clear that Kase actually has that option (even putting aside logistics, finances, and parental permissions)—she’s attending a sports university, which seems to have some pretty specific, almost quasi-military, rules about student behavior.

Even some US universities have rules requiring most underclassmen to reside in campus housing.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

They've already established that this is Kase's plan after the spends a manditory year at the dorms.

joined Feb 18, 2015

Half the reason I come to the comment sections on dynasty scans is to read what nutcases occasionally post into this website. It's incredibly amusing. That was quite the amazing past few pages of the banned/deleted user. This website more than any other manga website seems to cause crazy people to come out of the wordwork.

Now on the actual topic at hand, I'm fine with Kase being jealous. She doesn't have much free time to come to Yamada so she's rightfully worried when someone suddenly sends her a photo of her girlfriend giving a crazy blush posing next to a very handsome guy and then for the entire next day she can't reach her girlfriend on the phone to ask her about it. I'm a guy and I'd certainly be worried/concerned.

(Now I do think the author is using jealousy as a plot device too much, but the jealousy is not without reason in this specific situation.)

I agree. The author has overused the jealousy trope, but even more so, she has overused Yamada's "But nobody would be interested in me" trope. Yamada has had several examples of people displaying an interest in her, dating back to high school in the cultural festival when she was hounded by people trying to get pictures of her in her cute outfit, to the group date arc where guys were interested in her. Kase's jealousy, while over the top, was proven to be at least well-founded in terms of Yui not being entirely safe in that environment because of her naivety.

In this situation, seeing this post with her girlfriend blushing like a besotted fool, from her perspective, not knowing that the blush was actually that of a "star-struck" fool, and then, as @ergzay said, not being able to contact her via Line the next day, it makes sense that she would be freaking out given her past behavior and the fact that they have not resolved the issue at all. Every time it comes up, Yui gets upset about it, then Kase is proven partially right, but also a bit over the top, and Yui never truly acknowledges that she is an attractive person who needs to pay attention to how she approaches social situations with men who don't know that she is dating someone.

Granted, asking her to not participate in her club activities is WAY out of line. Asking her to not do things like taking pictures alone with guys, or to, at least, send her a private message telling her about the picture so she wouldn't think that there was something fishy going on would be better. From Yui's perspective, if a picture of Kase with some hot looking woman she doesn't know showed up on Kase's social media with Kase blushing like Yui was in that photo, it's a safe bet that Yui would be jealous as well. It's not that different from her jealousy over the suntan lotion that Kase's roommate wanted her to give to Kase, which turned out to be something Kase uses because it reminds her of Yui's shampoo.

As for how this will pan out, it's hard to say. It's clear that she is becoming less and less enamored with the "Flower Prince" now that he's criticizing her planting arrangement, but I could see him offering to tutor her for certification exams because he thinks it would be good for her career with there being a potential for an ulterior motive involved. One path that I could see happening (though I hope it doesn't) is:

1) The Flower Prince (FP) offers to tutor Yui and Hana to help them pass some certification exams.
2) Yui, knowing Kase wouldn't like it, wavers but decides to do it based on the arguments of FP and Hana.
3) Not wanting to lie about it, she tells Kase about the tutoring sessions.
4) Kase gets angry and insists that she not do it.
5) Yui tells her that she's being unreasonable and that this is for her professional advancement and nothing else.
6) They stop talking for a time and don't talk about the reservations they made for Christmas either.
7) As Christmas approaches, FP either makes a move on Yui or asks her to spend Christmas with him, which makes Yui realize that Kase's worries weren't totally unfounded.
8) Yui turns him down and contacts Kase, or, worst case, goes to meet her for their Christmas date without knowing for sure whether she is going to be there or not.
9) Kase buys promise rings for them for Christmas so Yui has something that she can wear that says she's not available that will ease her jealous mind. (Better solution: Yui buys promise rings for them.)

It’s not clear that Kase actually has that option (even putting aside logistics, finances, and parental permissions)—she’s attending a sports university, which seems to have some pretty specific, almost quasi-military, rules about student behavior.

Even some US universities have rules requiring most underclassmen to reside in campus housing.

I agree with this in a way, but Kase has already asked her to move in with her... AFTER their first year of college. She said way back in the original "Kase-san and..." that her college requires first-year students to live in the dorms, but even athletes can live off-campus their second year. If I recall, their universities are about 1 hour apart. So if they got an apartment half-way between the two schools they would each have a half-hour commute. The only real problem is that YUI HASN'T EVER SAID YES TO MOVING IN TOGETHER!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I agree with this in a way, but Kase has already asked her to move in with her... AFTER their first year of college. She said way back in the original "Kase-san and..." that her college requires first-year students to live in the dorms, but even athletes can live off-campus their second year. If I recall, their universities are about 1 hour apart. So if they got an apartment half-way between the two schools they would each have a half-hour commute. The only real problem is that YUI HASN'T EVER SAID YES TO MOVING IN TOGETHER!

Thanks, I had forgotten that they were so explicit about the school's parameters there.

Yeah, Yamada's half-freakout about the prospect of moving in together when it first came up did stand out a bit. At the time it seemed like mostly a function of her being overwhelmed by all the long-term thinking they were both being forced to do (any last-year high-school student can no doubt relate). But it did have a subtext about a possible hesitation to commit to the relationship that seemed, if not out of character, at least a bit odd.

EDIT: On the the jealousy thing, yes, it's being overused, and there are plenty of more interesting aspects of their growing up to be explored. But the jealousy bits don't usually last long, and they do always come out OK. Again, I would be happier if Yamada would put Kase's worries to rest by saying that she's not interested in anybody else rather than nobody being interested in her.

last edited at Feb 1, 2021 1:42PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

7) As Christmas approaches, FP either makes a move on Yui or asks her to spend Christmas with him, which makes Yui realize that Kase's worries weren't totally unfounded.

I really really don't want that to happen AGAIN. It's another thing that constantly happen that bother me, Kase end up always being right when she warn Yamada about something,the apron and the mixer. It's just annoying that Kase always end up being right when she is outright possesive.

Fishbowl%20man
joined May 6, 2018

I think I'm done with this one. I could deal with such an utterly adorable manga getting formulaic if the formula didn't specifically undercut the cute part.
The formula of "Girl gets adorably insecure, but everything's actually great" can make for a really nice and fluffy short story, but it doesn't bear to repeat. When no amount of reassurance that a relationship is working out is ever enough, then it probably isn't.

last edited at Feb 17, 2021 2:03PM

joined Feb 22, 2019

Ok but am I the only weirdo who thinks Kase San came to, excuse my language, fuck her girl at the Gardens? Bc thats what it seems like to me.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Ok but am I the only weirdo who thinks Kase San came to, excuse my language, fuck her girl at the Gardens? Bc thats what it seems like to me.

Honestly, you'd be weird for thinking Kase-san comes to visit Yamada every time for reasons besides fucking.

last edited at Feb 19, 2021 10:08AM

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

Oof, right in the moneymaker.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

What the hell Kase.

joined Oct 13, 2014

im really disliking kase recently

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

Well it's better than running away which is what one would usually expect in cases like this. At least, she's still there and hopefully iron out this misunderstanding.

Midnightgunner
Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

"If you were a guy, I might wanna date you too"

Excuse you, Kase Tomoka? Care to explain yourself here?

Elixhono
joined Apr 28, 2020

I mean she is hiding the fact that she a lesbian (although she could be bisexual).

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

ZzZzZzZzZzZzZ
Snore...
Wuuuah

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Hey, when you're putting up a het pretense it's not always easy keeping the pronouns straight.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I mean she is hiding the fact that she a lesbian (although she could be bisexual).

As pointless as that is considering there have been rumors about it since high school.

Fishy
joined Oct 19, 2020

I kinda can't with this series lately. They don't communicate, just mop around and repeat the same patterns. It feels like it's been years since this relationship made any progress.

I can kinda get Yamada's insecurities a bit, since she is a bit of an introvert and worrywart + Kase is surrounded by all kinds of beauties, at least a couple of whom seem to have feelings for her. I don't really get why she can't commit to answering to Kase's proposing moving in together the following year, but whatever.

At the same time, Kase is all insecure and jealous while she pretty much flirts with half the girls around her. Still feel like the Flower Prince is kinda sketch, especially with him complimenting half the campus, but she doesn't know that and Yamada never gave her any real reason to worry - hell, she was never even an object of anyone's interest, as far as I can remember.

And I honestly can't, for the life of me, understand how is that they can't meet regularly. I get that they are at pretty prestigious unis, but I doubt their classes take more than 30-40 hours/week. There is pleeeeenty of time to arrange for stuff, yet they act like they can't see each other for weeks at the time.

It's somehow more frustrating than any other series I'm reading, and it supposed to be fluff...

last edited at Mar 31, 2021 1:52PM

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Okay so I was kinda dreading what kind of a misunderstanding the chapter was leading up to, but I actually burst out laughing when Kase threw that bag, so I suppose it was not all bad considering!

To reply you must either login or sign up.