Forum › Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru discussion

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Well, I don't remember the manga being about robots or aliens in the first volume? it's been about dealing with loneliness from the start, you didn't forget the tale of the frog and the salamander right? the core of the manga that keeps being mentioned each volume from the very start?

Is not that one day the characters woke up and decided to stop talking JUST BECAUSE or they just feel sad and jealous for no reason, there were several chapters talking about it, is really gross how you act pretending that didn't matter or that it was a random act. I think you were just mad at that infamous tweet taken out of context, it was probably around that time that you thought "this story is all over the place!" or something like that or you just skipped all the text looking for a kiss you thought you deserved to see. I'm sorry to inform you but is just that you didn't pay attention or you stopped caring after the tweet. that or just trying to make the manga look bad and incoherent by pretending ignorance, all you'll get is sympathy from the people who were also "betrayed" by the tweet.

I don't think the manga changed the theme, the goal or the characters, but because you weren't promised a wedding at the end, your judgement became unfair and your patience ran out.

last edited at Feb 28, 2021 10:08PM

Girls%20last%20tour%20ost%20art
joined Dec 4, 2017

It's more that her artstyle has changed again in the past few chapters, you can see it in the previous chapter as well when Konatsu tears up at the café table. It looks off because it's happening right at the end, but the author even said on twitter that she put her all into drawing the last two chapters in particular.

ah, thanks for clearing that up. i personally prefer the old style, i thought it was so cute.. but as long as she is giving it her all its all good.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

idc what anyone has to say this was such a beatuifull story from beginning to end, i guess saying the whole salamander and frog thing out loud wasn´t really necesary, it was pretty clear that they both undertood each other at that point but you know what if enjoying such a beautifull pay off makes me cringe so be it

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

This manga was never meant to be yuri. Author and editor said that from the start. I don't know why anyone expected anything.

That's what we're told, but it just doesn't jive with what we're presented with. The manga, when taken at face value, starts out as a fragile love story between two awkward teenagers, and either the author did not consciously do this and tried to weasel her way of out this by changing direction, or she got told off by her editor to cut it out in order not to hurt sales. Of course this could also have been a deliberate decision from the start, which would make it even worse.

It's a shame how this charming tale of teenage love gets dropped half-way and veers off into a vague narrative about depression because one girl feels lonely because she doesn't see the other as much anymore, or whatever that nonsense was supposed to be. Unfortunately this type of development is not uncommon in Japanese media, which seems to be fascinated by same-sex romance but can't seem to get over the hurdle of institutionalized homophobia.

last edited at Mar 2, 2021 5:35AM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

^
The 'girlship' meme was born from the official term used to describe the manga from chapter 1, and it came from 'girls + friendship'.

It's a shame how this charming tale of teenage love gets dropped half-way and veers off into a vague narrative about depression

I feel this criticism is dishonest and chooses to ignore everything in the story that doesn't fit your expectations from the beginning, including the story's entire inspiration.

last edited at Mar 2, 2021 5:58AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

motormind posted:

vague narrative about depression because one girl feels lonely because she doesn't see the other as much anymore, or whatever that nonsense was supposed to be.

Good to know you never felt true loneliness.

joined Jul 1, 2018

That's what we're told, but it just doesn't jive with what we're presented with. The manga, when taken at face value, starts out as a fragile love story between two awkward teenagers, and either the author did not consciously do this and tried to weasel her way of out this by changing direction, or she got told off by her editor to cut it out in order not to hurt sales. Of course this could also have been a deliberate decision from the start, which would make it even worse.

I mean all yuri goggles stuff aside, the girls could literally just be heterosexual. Their in-story experiences don’t become any less real or disappointing or whatever because the author did not want to make a romance. The story from chapter one has been about the relationship between the salamander and frog between the two characters, which is interpreted in many different ways. Just because it isn’t in a homosexual way doesn’t make this story bad, even if it failed to meet your individual expectation. (Realistically speaking, it kinda just avoids that trope of two leads having to fall for each other for no reason, this new chapter helps us understand that the relationship was more like the first step in expanding who to communicate with, and becoming a more social person).

I can totally understand people being upset about the pacing, or hating certain aspects of writing (there are legitimate flaws within the storytelling in some aspects) but a lot of the hate is simply because it depicts a relationship that isn’t what that reader wanted, which is a valid criticism, but isn’t really something that can be supported with anything other than the reader’s own opinion.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

This manga was never meant to be yuri. Author and editor said that from the start. I don't know why anyone expected anything.

It's a shame how this charming tale of teenage love gets dropped half-way and veers off into a vague narrative about depression because one girl feels lonely because she doesn't see the other as much anymore, or whatever that nonsense was supposed to be. Unfortunately this type of development is not uncommon in Japanese media, which seems to be fascinated by same-sex romance but can't seem to get over the hurdle of institutionalized homophobia.

Literally nothing in your post is correct in any way, shape, or form. Both BeanBeanKingdom and Palmfire already adequately covered the actual points, so I will not waste time on repeating them. I will however draw attention to something that I personally find hilarious. The "author and editor said that from the start" part is not even new information. Scanlators themselves clearly stated this on their website ages ago. In fact, I pointed this out and even linked said webpage in this thread three years ago or some such. A couple other people also tried pointing this out. But we got blasted by the "lololol it is obviously yuri lololol are you blind lololol the story elements are more than clear" crowd.

I am guessing people mistook our attempts as... trying to supress yuri? Trying to ruin people's hype? When in point of fact we were just trying to caution people against doing what you obviously did in the end. Which is building wrong expectations despite clear and direct warnings, and then later shitting on the story when it inevitably does not deliver what it never intended to deliver in the first place. The problem is with you, and not with the story.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’m firmly in favor of this story however the author wants to tell it. As I’ve said before, I think the most impressive thing about it psychologically is that the author avoids the “to realize a personal problem is to solve it” trope.

Realizing that you’ve been stunted and isolated from others by trying to be perfect is important, but it doesn’t mean that you’re suddenly able to open up and be comfortable interacting with other people—it’s just the first step in what is likely to be a long, hard (and often scary) slog, and there will be inevitable setbacks and backsliding along the way. In that regard this series is considerably more sophisticated than most “teenage personal growth” stories in popular culture.

All that being said, there are indeed many points at which, as a yuri reader, I want to say, “Just fucking kiss already, you fucking useless lesbians!”

last edited at Mar 2, 2021 9:47AM

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

a lot of the hate is simply because it depicts a relationship that isn’t what that reader wanted

Ah, the good ol' "you're only mad because you didn't get what you wanted" shtick, used to defend every example of gay-baiting since... well, ever.

The fact is that this story follows all the beats of a romance, then makes a sharp turn and starts being about something completely different, leading to a confusing mess. The author spends chapter after chapter clearly depicting the two female characters as being in love, only to go "Whoops. Sorry about leading you on. This story is about unspecified existential dread instead. Enjoy!"

And if this were only this one work in which this happens then I would shrug it off and contribute it to either executive meddling or the author's own repressed homosexual desires. As it stands though, this kind of attitude is pervasive in Japanese popular media, and it frankly sucks.

last edited at Mar 2, 2021 10:06AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

motormind posted:

This story is about unspecified existential dread instead.

I love that you ignored me pointing out that what this story depicts exists and is actually not that uncommon.

joined Jul 1, 2018

a lot of the hate is simply because it depicts a relationship that isn’t what that reader wanted

Ah, the good ol' "you're only mad because you didn't get what you wanted" shtick, used to defend every example of gay-baiting since... well, ever.

I'm talking about this story specifically. What I said wasn't a general statement, I've read my fair share of stories where the two leads are literally dating until they graduate and then go off with some obligatory male insert character just so the author can say "well see, it's not gay". This is not one of those stories. The fact that there was no cheap cop-out man to somehow invalidate how deeply the two main character's feel for one another just goes to show that the author isn't trying to make being gay (or whatever Konatsu and Koyuki are, both orientation wise and to one another) some sort of phase that passes by in high school. People are literally mad on other sites (not so much on this one) because the main characters didn't kiss, or didn't explicitly say that they were romantically into one another. My point is that this kind of justification for why the story is "trash" is completely invalid, since it has nothing to do with the actual story. It's like hating on Naruto because he doesn't get with Sasuke at the end of the series.

The fact is that this story follows all the beats of a romance, then makes a sharp turn and starts being about something completely different, leading to a confusing mess.

This is something that is actually somewhat debatable. You can argue and discuss things about the change in pacing, and whether the introduction of the main conflict was jarring or not, you can call it a mess because of specific things that occur that you've picked out.

I'm not saying that this story wasn't similar to a romance, it chose to explore a specific type of relationship that is very similar to one. One can even argue that it reveals a lot about what's wrong with romance stories today- just because two characters are awkward around each other doesn't mean that they're forced to fall in love with one another. I'm specifically commenting on readers who designate this story as a bad one because it didn't meet their personal expectation of it being a romance, disregarding the actual content of the story and designating this as 'bait' because they went in with an expectation that was never going to be met from the start.

And if this were only this one work in which this happens then I would shrug it off and contribute it to either executive meddling or the author's own repressed homosexual desires.

Personally I find this argument very demeaning and close-minded. You can be gay and still write a bad story that features gay leads. You can be a man and write a great story with an all female cast. You shouldn't make assumptions about the author based off of the contents of their writing, just stick to criticizing the writing itself. There are people who refuse to read great Yuri stories like Otherside Picnic because it's written by a man. Good authors do their research so they can write whatever they want to write.

last edited at Mar 2, 2021 11:14AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

And if this were only this one work in which this happens then I would shrug it off and contribute it to either executive meddling or the author's own repressed homosexual desires. As it stands though, this kind of attitude is pervasive in Japanese popular media, and it frankly sucks.

Except for all the yuri stories, of course.

last edited at Mar 2, 2021 12:24PM

joined Dec 3, 2018

Ah, the people who held out hope despite that the "girlship" label was slapped onto this work early on are self-destructing. Stop getting overly invested in melodramatic friendship stories.

last edited at Mar 2, 2021 12:07PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Can't we just wait and see the last chapter as well before deciding how it'll end?

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Can't we just wait and see the last chapter as well before deciding how it'll end?

If one's opinion of the story were to drastically change based on whether the protagonists kissed or not in the final chapter, it would make that opinion pretty shallow. But I can't say I haven't seen some people hold the series to that exact warped standard, of it only being eventually worthwhile if it became explicit.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

i don´t really get why people are so mad honestly, if you choose to keep reading after the official tweet and got disappointed that´s on you, it´s funny how people decide to read stuff that they know they will not enjoy
And even if we agree that the manga is in fact yuribait (wich i don´t) the author already said that you´re free to interpret their relationship the way you want, is not like they sudenly put male characters and force a relationship, is not that big of a deal

last edited at Mar 2, 2021 6:03PM

Fbphoto
joined Feb 26, 2018

I'm okay with this either way. True yuri would have been nice, but it's possible for friendships to be as deep as romantic love. It would be nice to have a friend like this someday.

Dorohedoro_noi_big_smile
joined Feb 24, 2015

I'm glad this is ending because the story doesn't really seem to know how it wants to present its focus. The bond ironically seemed stronger between Konatsu and Koyuki earlier in the story than where it is now. I guess the only real development has been the resolve to become strong? I don't know, but this story dragged on for a lot longer than it needed to be for the amount of actual development it had.

Welp, I'm along for the ride no matter how this ends.

WrathOfTheForest
joined Mar 7, 2020

I'm not really sure why these 'gay or noy gay' arguments are still going on. Well, I know the reason, I just don't understand why some still think this dead, already skeleton horse is still worthy of being kicked. This read to me as a relationship that sits firmly in the ambiguous area between platonic and romantic love. If you want romantic love, that's fine, there are other series out there, but this kind of approach to yuri isn't any less potent than gayest series out there. It's like Futaribeya except not explicitly romantic.

I welcome series like these that are explicitly ambiguous. They're not just gay-baiting, but they're also not locked in to the outdated, binary way of looking at relationships as either just platonic or romantic. It's evidently just as potent regardless. People are still invested in this relationship to this degree even now.

I do agree that the series kind of lost me around the halfway mark. It was a slog to go through. I got its point, and it was a good point, but it could have done that in half the length.

last edited at Mar 15, 2021 3:51AM

Fishbowl%20man
joined May 6, 2018

Honestly, this was the one manga where I thought I'd be fine without any explicit romance because the early part did such a good job of showing how valuable their relationship was to them either way. But the more clearly I could see that, the more all their meandering annoyed me.

joined Jul 27, 2020

It's ended.
Of course, it's still salamandership till the end. And for me it's the best to stay that way.

Also, there's a tweet saying in English that Hagino-sensei is preparing for a new serial.

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1375564175490048006?s=19

Since Hagino-sensei herself retweeted it, should we take it as confirmed?
If so, it's a good thing that she chose to continue as mangaka, contrary to what she had said last year during her unrecorded twitch stream.

also this:

Fine, my main hope for the ending is that they go on an aquarium date in Tokyo.

You must be really happy that it turned into reality.

Eldmbwaw4amteza
joined Nov 22, 2019

"Do you like salamanders?" is the lesbian version of "The moon is beautiful, isnt it?" and you cant convince me otherwise.

Im%20gonna%20fucking%20cry%20koyuki
joined Nov 5, 2017

Even if it isn't yuri, I think the story overall was really good! I think everyone deserves a friend in their life like this.

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

Thank you Hachimitsu Scans for working in this manga until the end, and thank you Hagino-sensei for creating it, wish her the best in her next project and life in general.
This one has been one of my favorite mangas for the last 3 years and I am glad I got to read it until the end

last edited at Mar 28, 2021 2:34AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.