Forum › Posts by Palmfire

joined Jul 1, 2018

I feel like some of us are jumping to come up with explanations as to why it wasn't the Yuri story we wanted. Maybe what she wanted to draw was a manga that reflected her life experiences, and perhaps depicted the relationship - of whatever form you wish to perceive this as - that she always wanted? Yeah, as mentioned, there actually are plenty of women who for whatever reason find their soulmate to simply be what the outside world would call "a friend." A lot of those relationships probably do read as romance to outsiders. (Note this down doubly for Japan, where very strong / "romantic" friendships between women are a known phenomenon.)

I recall there being an earlier discussion after one of her streams regarding an anime adaptation. She had clarified that she was drawing the manga the way that she wanted it to be drawn, and if she had changed some aspects (I'm assuming either making it explicit Yuri, or making one of the main characters male) then maybe it would have been more popular. She has reiterated more than once that she has been able to draw her thoughts exactly from start to finish, so while some of the other theories on this thread may have some substance, the thought that her creative process was somehow stifled in any way contradicts statements made by the author herself.

I think the coolest thing about her intentions is that even if she drew the manga depicting the relationship that she wanted, she gave the reader the ability to interpret the story in many ways, even if none of them were explicit. Maybe she wanted us readers to be able to relate to the main characters as much as she made them to relate to herself.

joined Jul 1, 2018

a lot of the hate is simply because it depicts a relationship that isn’t what that reader wanted

Ah, the good ol' "you're only mad because you didn't get what you wanted" shtick, used to defend every example of gay-baiting since... well, ever.

I'm talking about this story specifically. What I said wasn't a general statement, I've read my fair share of stories where the two leads are literally dating until they graduate and then go off with some obligatory male insert character just so the author can say "well see, it's not gay". This is not one of those stories. The fact that there was no cheap cop-out man to somehow invalidate how deeply the two main character's feel for one another just goes to show that the author isn't trying to make being gay (or whatever Konatsu and Koyuki are, both orientation wise and to one another) some sort of phase that passes by in high school. People are literally mad on other sites (not so much on this one) because the main characters didn't kiss, or didn't explicitly say that they were romantically into one another. My point is that this kind of justification for why the story is "trash" is completely invalid, since it has nothing to do with the actual story. It's like hating on Naruto because he doesn't get with Sasuke at the end of the series.

The fact is that this story follows all the beats of a romance, then makes a sharp turn and starts being about something completely different, leading to a confusing mess.

This is something that is actually somewhat debatable. You can argue and discuss things about the change in pacing, and whether the introduction of the main conflict was jarring or not, you can call it a mess because of specific things that occur that you've picked out.

I'm not saying that this story wasn't similar to a romance, it chose to explore a specific type of relationship that is very similar to one. One can even argue that it reveals a lot about what's wrong with romance stories today- just because two characters are awkward around each other doesn't mean that they're forced to fall in love with one another. I'm specifically commenting on readers who designate this story as a bad one because it didn't meet their personal expectation of it being a romance, disregarding the actual content of the story and designating this as 'bait' because they went in with an expectation that was never going to be met from the start.

And if this were only this one work in which this happens then I would shrug it off and contribute it to either executive meddling or the author's own repressed homosexual desires.

Personally I find this argument very demeaning and close-minded. You can be gay and still write a bad story that features gay leads. You can be a man and write a great story with an all female cast. You shouldn't make assumptions about the author based off of the contents of their writing, just stick to criticizing the writing itself. There are people who refuse to read great Yuri stories like Otherside Picnic because it's written by a man. Good authors do their research so they can write whatever they want to write.

last edited at Mar 2, 2021 11:14AM

joined Jul 1, 2018

That's what we're told, but it just doesn't jive with what we're presented with. The manga, when taken at face value, starts out as a fragile love story between two awkward teenagers, and either the author did not consciously do this and tried to weasel her way of out this by changing direction, or she got told off by her editor to cut it out in order not to hurt sales. Of course this could also have been a deliberate decision from the start, which would make it even worse.

I mean all yuri goggles stuff aside, the girls could literally just be heterosexual. Their in-story experiences don’t become any less real or disappointing or whatever because the author did not want to make a romance. The story from chapter one has been about the relationship between the salamander and frog between the two characters, which is interpreted in many different ways. Just because it isn’t in a homosexual way doesn’t make this story bad, even if it failed to meet your individual expectation. (Realistically speaking, it kinda just avoids that trope of two leads having to fall for each other for no reason, this new chapter helps us understand that the relationship was more like the first step in expanding who to communicate with, and becoming a more social person).

I can totally understand people being upset about the pacing, or hating certain aspects of writing (there are legitimate flaws within the storytelling in some aspects) but a lot of the hate is simply because it depicts a relationship that isn’t what that reader wanted, which is a valid criticism, but isn’t really something that can be supported with anything other than the reader’s own opinion.

joined Jul 1, 2018

"This is not the same story as the lonely salamander"--and aren't we all deeply grateful for that?

Yes, no “stay here with only me until you starve to death and die” type of story here lol

I guess it’s mostly saying that in this version, they go from “needing” the other, to just wanting to be with the other. On the surface the relationship hasn’t changed, but the context it’s in has (hence Koyuki saying her story takes place under a blue sky, not a cave)

joined Jul 1, 2018

I audibly squealed when I saw Konatsu hide behind the menu! This chapter was just amazing! I love how everyone’s character development was shown even more so here (I also really like how observant Karaoke guy is, and how Honami’s classmates were happy about Honami sticking up for her values).

Someone up here already said it, but them communicating in this language that no one understands but them just shows how deep their relationship is. Honami doesn’t even know what to call it, “Instead of her being a friend or protege, I cherish her more than that”

Anyways, it’s great how supportive and positive everyone is of one another, my heart melted xD.

joined Jul 1, 2018

Honestly the mom could just be there because Sora’s finally going to school. I remember the collective groans when Wakana came in as the obligatory transfer student, but she ended up being a good character that subverted the cliche. Hoping we get the same with the mom and not “I’m getting a divorce and we’re moving to Tokyo” drama.

joined Jul 1, 2018

I wouldn't bet on Kisaragi station being forgotten; my wild guess is that File 3 will be merged into File 5, perhaps with flashbacks giving context for the rescue mission.

That would really suck if that’s the case though. Kisaragi station was the file that really had some good horror in it (especially the end) and is personally one of my favorites. It also has a lot going on it, so it would end up being extremely rushed if it was merged with file 5, another file that has a lot going on.

I honestly thought this episode just existed to flesh out glitches and transport more. It seems more like a prequel to file four than file three as well. If they include Kisaragi station then this episode would be redundant, they might have seen that there wasn’t enough space to fit all of file three/five in it, so instead used an anime original to flesh out some info? Or the story is being told out of order, so this was just background to file 4, and then file 3 and file 5 will be adapted back to back?

Not really sure, but it was mentioned somewhere that there are three anime original episodes, so that means that they either are taking the place of other chapters, or the adaptation is doing up to the end of volume two and there’s time to spare.

joined Jul 1, 2018

If I squint hard enough I can pretend this is the Nettaigyo anime we're not getting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKphvRlWXGM

Itadakimasu

Never knew I needed Koyuki riding a moped. The power of squinting super hard!

Palmfire
Anime season 13 Jan 15:22
joined Jul 1, 2018

The way the supernatural elements are being handled strongly reminds me of Ikuhara's works, and he's never felt the need to explain that shit. If WEP is pulling from his works as much as it feels like, I wouldn't expect any sort of 'it was all a dream' twist

Personal theory: You'll note that Ai and Koito both have love-themed names. This makes me suspect that Ai and Koito had feelings for each other. Koito was bullied not for befriending Ai, but for being a lesbian

This anime would continue to be amazing even if it doesn’t explain everything. The “see no evils” kinda gave away the fact that the girls in the alternate reality were bullied (hence why they don’t go after Ai). It’s interesting that it’s not the people doing the bullying, but the ones that ignore it that cause the most harm. I’m sure Koito was being bullied (for unknown reasons at this point) and Ai just turned the other way. This world might be her way of breaking out of that she’ll of going with the group to not stick out.

Overall, amazing episode, I’m looking forward to more

joined Jul 1, 2018

The one thing I didn't like (and this is in retrospect after reading the manga) was how the critter was beefed up from a vague wisp into a snarling RPG monster.

Oh yeah, same. I mean, when you compare that scene in the anime with this page from the manga the anime kind of dropped the ball on that one.

I'm just gonna nitpick one thing mainly, why is it that eachtime some girl is line in some different plane of thinkin/deep thinking or whatever it is, they most of the time gotta make her naked, like do they really have to do that? Like they did that quite a bit in Adashima too.

I may have rolled my eyes a bit at the ED sequence.

I honestly thought it was an Utena reference? idk it reminded me a lot of the first couple seconds of the opening song

I'm going to end up saying "Read the novels!" a lot.

That’s usually the case with novel adaptations, no matter how good they are lol.

joined Jul 1, 2018

The good news is that if the anime adapts one chapter per episode, we might reach the end of volume 3, which is what I was hoping. The OP sequence features Natsumi and a reference to the Sannukikano chapter, so that actually seems likely.

If that’s the case, then the pace is going to be about a chapter an episode (save for file 11, which would most likely be two episodes long)

Most of my “issues” with the first ep could just be amounted to animation and novels being structure differently, leading to a different adaptation. Things like internal monologue, detailed descriptions of emotions or facial expressions, and the unsettling feelings specifically for this work can really only work well in a novel; the manga adaptation does a great job of replicating it. The novel is so unique because of the perspective it’s told from, especially when it’s obvious Sorawo is not telling it how it is; I don’t think you can translate it well into an anime, so directors/writers just drop them. The most recent example I can think of is The Journey of Elaina, which while being a decent anime by itself, left out a lot of things that were in the novel.

Besides that, I still feel like TOO much is being left out. Things just happen, and the audience is supposed to go “ok” with no question. Though this complaint really is too early to call, since the first half of the next episode can be spent covering those bits missing from the first episode (file two isn’t really that long to begin with)

What I really hope they don’t do is make this a “monster of the week” type series, that would just take the specialness out the story, which is how the characters grow and react to the Otherside over time. “The adventures of two college girls shooting ghosts” is fun, but doesn’t do the original material justice, especially when taking the brilliant romantic development into question.

also there was some wonky CGI in there, but not too big of a deal to me

Anyways those were just my thoughts, I’m really looking forward to how this will turn out!

last edited at Jan 4, 2021 6:17PM

joined Jul 1, 2018

Holy shit those spoilers actually sound to me, like a pretty cool wild ride, makes me wanna pick up the web novel again. Man wonder if the manga will ever make it to that (kinda doubt, but it would be neat). Hope they release more light novels containing alla that.

Took a break from the WN around ch. 180 because reading it once it’s done would take away that painful feeling of waiting for what’s next, but from what I’m hearing, it seems like it gets even more interesting??

Also, I’m guessing the manga would cover the first story, though at its pace it’ll be a while before it gets there. I’m just glad that it sounds like it hasn’t been axed.

joined Jul 1, 2018

On the other hand, have you guys seen Iori Miyazawa's views on Yuri? like holy cow that dude is a diehard Yuri fan.

I was going to post that, it's a genuinely funny and interesting read. This part just hooked me tbh:

"It's just a transient phase of puberty"

Saying this will also get you killed. Even if a relationship is intentionally depicted as yuri, some will nonetheless insist it's all a fleeting delusion, people who can't take a single step out of their heterocentric values where love only exists between a man and a woman. Report spam → Block user.

For me it was when he was talking about how a bench on a grassy hill could be considered yuri. Not sure if it was the posted article, but it was whichever one he was talking about watching Sicario lol

joined Jul 1, 2018

^Karateka Is a character who already has a design for the show, however she hasn’t appeared in the manga yet (the raws are doing the beach chapter rn), so it’s safe to assume that they’re adapting the LN, though there wouldn’t be a big difference if it was adapted from the manga, other than there being less to adapt. I think ending the anime with the end of vol. 2 would be the best bet, since pacing wise, not much would need to be cut for it to fit in pretty well. If a faithful adaptation is done, I don’t see why the show wouldn’t become popular enough to warrant a season 2, it appeals to horror fans too, who have yet to see a good horror anime come out in a bit that isn’t a remake (so no higurashi). Though shows can be super popular and still not get a second season for a multitude of other reasons, so it’s nothing set in stone.

joined Jul 1, 2018

^^ Forgot to mention that you can also buy the paperback omnibus of volumes 1 and 2, if you prefer a physical copy. I’m not sure whether or not it’s been restocked/reprinted on Amazon yet, when I bought it there were like 7 or 8 copies left in stock. Omnibus 2 is coming next summer with volumes 3 and 4.

joined Jul 1, 2018

^Anime in just over a week so a lot more people will get to know of it, myself included. On that note, are the novels translated?

Yeah, volume four just came out today! I was able to find volumes 1-3 online for free somewhere, but there is an e-book paywall for the fourth one

joined Jul 1, 2018

I remember going to the author's Twitter and found Girl x Girlfriend = Girlship.
Yep, definitely not gay at all.

I think the author also similar to Urasekai Picnic kind of author in terms of "Friendship between girls."

here’s my reply to the obligatory monthly “how gay is it?” Convo

This work definitely falls into the slice of life sub genre of unconventional relationships that aren’t easily defined. It’s most easily identifiable when it’s this type of story when looking at the works which feature main character who are nowhere near the same age (Watashi no Shounen is my favorite example of this) the story is more about the impact characters have on one another, and the meaning they have to each other than the nature of their relationship. Something like that can change, and their feelings would still be the same. I guess it’s something deeper than romance per se, closer too being soulmates? Something more loosely defined but has a stronger meaning. Of course that doesn’t mean this isn’t totally gay (the aoshima extra pages bring back those earlier vibes of treading on the delicate boundary between friendship and love) but I would say it isn’t a priority to the story. At this point, there wouldn’t be any better place to put some romantic flavor now, but I’m sure we’re going to get a “who is this person to me? Oh that’s my frogggg” type ending lol.

I’m super glad that others on here know the greatness that is urasekai picnic

joined Jul 1, 2018

Interesting this passage in the future or koyuki has feelings that she finally qualifies as different than friendship when thinking about konatsu. The distance must have accentuated her feeling towards konatsu.

Yeah, I feel that we will close off with something like that. This chapter really finished off Konatsu’s arc, who’s put all her faith in Koyuki to take care of her feelings of always wanting to be together. It seems like it’s up to Koyuki to validate these feelings, maybe not put a title (tho girlshipfriends sounds about right), but to define what they mean to one another.

Konatsu’s commentary in this chapter was really what sold it for me. Yeah, this chapter was pretty uneventful, but it really went to show how much growth they’ve all had, with Kaede’s cooking, Fuyuki finding something that he wants to do, and Koyuki waving at a passing Konatsu, something she couldn’t bring herself to do in ch. 24. It really showcases the depth of Konatsu’s character, and add a new layer to her actions through the story. It not only details the pain of loneliness (by showing how she’s no longer alone) but the anxiety of opening up for the first time, something that wasn’t focused on as much until the later chapters.

Lastly, the paneling and art is stunning, I want to print out each page and hang them on my wall or something. Small things, like Konatsu being alone and separated from her classmates, yet not being lonely, Kaede coming up to her, the guy from the mixer (who either likes Honami or Kondou’s older sister) and the girls from the culture festival all coming back. Even our friendly frog and salamander looked stunning.

I won’t even get into the paneling and art of 30.5. Just The detail of Koyuki’s face on page 2 is too much for me, it really seemed planned out like a movie trailer.

As always, sorry for the long post lol.

joined Jul 1, 2018

and that this apparently didnt come out the way she intended it to..

Didn't she state the opposite on twitter?

I’m pretty sure. I think what OP is talking about is during stream when she was talking about either what would happened if she let there be anime adaption (she wouldn’t have control over her story) or when she was talking about the order/ length of chapters in the last volume (I’m pretty sure that she mentioned that 31 and 32 should be one chapter, or that 32 would come first, I could be wrong tho)

joined Jul 1, 2018

That 30.5 was too good. Cant wait to read 31, and eventually the rest of the volume!

joined Jul 1, 2018

https://twitter.com/taka_kaneko/status/1341400124115857410?s=21

If google translate is right, it appears the new pages are like extra chapter to set up for volume nine. Just might buy the Japanese version to see what it is!

joined Jul 1, 2018

Also, the author seems to love wingmen so there’s that.

Minami in chapter 10 begs to differ.

Lol yeah, more like Kashikaze wants to establish a relationship fan club in the manga universe

joined Jul 1, 2018

Idk why but I’m getting a strong vibe the mom is gonna come in next chapter. She already almost caught them once, she probably has an idea what’s going on at this point lol. Also, the author seems to love wingmen so there’s that.

joined Jul 1, 2018

Anyone listened to Hagino-sensei's Twitch stream today? She talked about many things. She said that if nothing happens, the serialization will concluded in March, so 4 more chapters left. She drew what she wanted, and never thought to prolong the story just to meet certain volume numbers, stating that if one volume is about 200 pages, Hanigare probably would end in volume 7. Hagino-sensei knows that some fans are hoping for anime adaptation, but there's no plan for it (since the manga will end soon), and if there's an offer, she'd refuse, citing that she didn't want anyone to intervene with her story. She also said that this year was tough for her, since she didn't meet anyone except for supermarket's employee and doctors during the pandemic, and her cat's passing.

She talked a lot, but unfortunately, according to her tweet, she was unable to save the stream even though she intended to.

Thank you for posting this. I was trying to follow along using limited comprehension skills and copious amounts of google translate, but we all know how that goes :/. The only thing I recall besides what you posted was the fact that she was happy to see so many positive impressions of her manga on Twitter, while also citing that it’s a mean place, but I could be wrong for obvious reasons.

joined Jul 1, 2018

I’m happy that this manga is going to end exactly how it was intended to, but I’m also sad to see it go. Hagino-sensei said it right in another tweet: don’t tell the marathon runner who’s near the tape that they should keep running past the finish line. She’s got an ending set, and we should just trust her on it. It was one of my favorite manga, and I can’t wait to see how everything ties together.