Forum › Touhou Chireikiden - Cheating Detective Satori discussion

Images
joined Apr 4, 2012

The art leaves much to be desired.

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

The art leaves much to be desired.

No joke. From complete lack of background to perspective fails with that pentagram floor.
Still, that's not as bad as Zun's tradition of wasting your time with the content between first and final chapters in an arc, like if this was Shonen filler or something.

last edited at May 25, 2020 12:33PM

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

ch 8, pg 9, "now that you mention it, I don't really know what else is in the Netherworld." is said twice.

last edited at May 25, 2020 7:13PM

Marisa
joined Jul 1, 2016

Not gonna lie... the first case feels lackluster...

last edited at May 25, 2020 10:30PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I'll agree that a lot of the art is rather ... minimal, but I actually like the character designs for a Touhou story. They have a nice mix of cute and elegant, without the overly young look that some of the more official work has.

As for the case, I think it's main problem is that it's not, well, a case. At least not in the traditional who-dun-it sense, since it breaks most of the cardinal rules of the genre. Though, to be fair, I suspect any mystery set across Gensokyo would and Satori is called out as a cheating detective. I honestly expected the Scarlet Devil Mansion arc to end as a gag for most of it based on how poorly the set-up worked for a mystery and the characters involved.

At this point, it seems to be going more for generic suspense, with the unknowns surrounding Marisa's behavior and the seeming misunderstanding on Yukari's part. Unfortunately, I think it's struggling because neither the stakes nor the rules are clear. What's more, Gensokyo has some pretty strong safeguards against things going too far and it's hard to believe those would fail, or discount their relevance, without a clearer idea of what's actually going on.

At this point, nothing serious has really happened to any one. After all, a few Yokai taking a nap for a few days each, one at a time, is pretty small potatoes as far as Touhou Incidents go and even when they should have had access to a lot of power, like when they possessed Yuyuko (how?!) they did basically nothing. I mean, if I told you Yuyuko or Chen took a nap for a few days or that Patchuli fell ill and was knocked out for the same, wouldn't the oddest part be the fact that I bothered to mention it? What's next, Reimu wanting donations or Marissa stealing a book?

That said, the focus turning to Marissa's behavior might signal a turning point in the story that could let it set up some stakes and better define what it's trying to do. That or a nearing anti-climax.

Koishi_perf2_low
joined Jul 1, 2020

As of chapter 10, that "revengeful spirit" is looking very familiar. I'm really hoping it end up being "her", instead of a new, entirely different character.

joined Aug 12, 2020

Why does this manga has a lot of parts in their episodes? (Actually, why some manga episodes in Touhou has more parts rather than the old ones?)

Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

The only thing that might save this manga now is if mima is the vengeful spirit.

I was really hyped of having a Satori manga, and while I know she has a standoffish personality, they could have done more than make her appear fucking useless by always being late to the spirit's mischief, and then have these bare-bones interactions with the rest of the cast. Satori has been in the Chireiden for a long time now, she's a fish out of water, she's a perfect POV character for Gensokyo's overground shenanigans, and it's vastly underused.

Furthermore, the story's plot points feel tedious by now. It almost feels like they're not going to reveal anything substantial about the spirit until the end, and just chasing the spirit around is not amusing by itself.

I know ZUN can write compelling narratives, but the writting in this just falls flat.

The art is quite bad, too, I'd rather not grill it much on that though. (and others have already mentioned it as well)

Plasma%20pea
joined Jan 26, 2021

I honestly was afraid of touching this when I saw the art style, it seemed so... Lacking and different from the previous mangas. Honestly, the writing isn't that good. Also, the comments seem to be wishing it was Mima. It would be interesting since it is a fan favorite and despite me feeling that would never happen, I would like it to. I have never dabbled in the PC-98 era and I would like to see why people love her

joined Apr 24, 2020

As you may or may not have heard, the artist has had to drop out for health reasons (you may have noticed that they missed a bunch of months a while ago). Hence the little "The End" and "Thanks for reading" on the last page. This was only announced a couple days ago, and apparently the fate of the manga is still being decided, but I'd say there's a good chance it will resume eventually with a different artist and possibly a different name. Since it's an official series, it'd be odd to leave it hanging there.

This has happened before, when the first artist of the Three Fairies manga had to drop out for similar reasons and was replaced a couple months later.

Anyhow, wishing a quick recovery to both the artist and the manga.

joined Oct 14, 2020

As you may or may not have heard, the artist has had to drop out for health reasons (you may have noticed that they missed a bunch of months a while ago). Hence the little "The End" and "Thanks for reading" on the last page. This was only announced a couple days ago, and apparently the fate of the manga is still being decided, but I'd say there's a good chance it will resume eventually with a different artist and possibly a different name. Since it's an official series, it'd be odd to leave it hanging there.

This has happened before, when the first artist of the Three Fairies manga had to drop out for similar reasons and was replaced a couple months later.

Anyhow, wishing a quick recovery to both the artist and the manga.

Well I gotta say that's a real disappointment. I actually really liked this art. Made the characters look like dolls. It was definitely unique. Hopefully the manga does continue at least. Can't get enough Touhou content.

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

This artist is very cutee but I loved the old one too I hope they wil get better

last edited at Oct 26, 2021 6:29AM

Mistress Trupin
joined Jul 24, 2018

Ohh, it's back!

C67
joined Aug 19, 2021

It has to be Mima.

Plasma%20pea
joined Jan 26, 2021

It's back. New artist as well. This is leaning for Mima to be the culprit and you can't tell me otherwise.
What are the chances that Mima gets redesigned when she finally appears?
I'm betting that the girl Mokou is talking to is Reisen or Keine. Another bet I'm taking is that the girl is possessed and will now take over Mokou's body to cause havoc in Eientei

D0c
joined Oct 27, 2021

I'm betting that the girl Mokou is talking to is Reisen or Keine. Another bet I'm taking is that the girl is possessed and will now take over Mokou's body to cause havoc in Eientei

I'm betting on it being Marisa again or Tewi. Mokou would have said "oh its you Keine" instead of just you, and she generally speaks in a different tone to Keine than someone like Marisa, but it may just be done to hide the fact it was Keine. Reisen is watching the Eientei so I doubt she would have gone over to Mokou in this time. Since we haven't seen Tewi at all and last we saw Marisa flying away on her broom to somewhere I would put my bets on them. Plus if it is Marisa again it would make even more sense that the spirit is Mima.

joined Jul 12, 2020

More than half a year and now it backs. Still, there're a lot of things that haven't been explained. Like how Yukari is the only Youkai that does not collapse after being possessed but is still able to mess around, poison Alice, and bring Marisa to her house. And why the Spirit still possesses Yukari after possessing Alice, isn't they supposed to leave the body to do so? The last arc has a bunch of unexplained stuff and I do hope ZUN solved all of them instead of ignoring them.

Asacocodayo
joined Mar 1, 2021

More than half a year and now it backs. Still, there're a lot of things that haven't been explained. Like how Yukari is the only Youkai that does not collapse after being possessed but is still able to mess around, poison Alice, and bring Marisa to her house. And why the Spirit still possesses Yukari after possessing Alice, isn't they supposed to leave the body to do so? The last arc has a bunch of unexplained stuff and I do hope ZUN solved all of them instead of ignoring them.

Yukari managed to avoid collapsing because she managed to get a hold of herself while being possessed and saved some power. That same power was used to inform Reimu then goes to sleep to restore her power. If im not wrong pretty sure it was mentioned in the previous chapter/s

as for Alice... I have no idea.

Also, totally unrelated from my comment above I'm betting Mokou is talking to Tewi rather than Reisen, well she might be Keine but Im leaning more to Tewi

last edited at Oct 27, 2021 7:56AM

joined Jul 12, 2020

Yukari managed to avoid collapsing because she managed to get a hold of herself while being possessed and saved some power. That same power was used to inform Reimu then goes to sleep to restore her power. If im not wrong pretty sure it was mentioned in the previous chapter/s

as for Alice... I have no idea.

Also, totally unrelated from my comment above I'm betting Mokou is talking to Tewi rather than Reisen, well she might be Keine but Im leaning more to Tewi

That’s what Yukari said about she saving a bit of power. But the problems is why she is the only one the spirit can use the body to move around freely and abused her power. No previous case have show this. And on the previous chapter, Yukari appearance go like “Command the shikigami=>disappears for a while and show up at the shrine to take Marisa away=>disappeared again and just show up tell Reimu about the netherworld spirit=>and then appear for the last time just to tell Reimu to investigate stuff”. Well, really cumbersome schedule here. The explanation will make sense if the spirit possessed her, leave and Yukari recover with that small bit of energy. But no, it using her body and power for a really long time, considering Satori guessing her already been taken while giving order for Ran and Chen.

last edited at Oct 27, 2021 12:47PM

joined Jul 12, 2020

And it also kinda weird that Marisa, who is supposed to go to the Netherworld and poison Yuyuko, doesn’t realize she go to the netherworld at all. Like if the spirit possessed Yuyuko, Marisa should wake up(like how Patchouli poison Meiling and wake up right after that), and realize that for some reason she end up being at the Netherworld

Koishi_perf2_low
joined Jul 1, 2020

Really happy that it returned! Can't wait to se how all this confusion will be solved!

joined Nov 15, 2021

And on the previous chapter, Yukari appearance go like “Command the shikigami=>disappears for a while and show up at the shrine to take Marisa away=>disappeared again and just show up tell Reimu about the netherworld spirit=>and then appear for the last time just to tell Reimu to investigate stuff”. Well, really cumbersome schedule here. The explanation will make sense if the spirit possessed her, leave and Yukari recover with that small bit of energy. But no, it using her body and power for a really long time, considering Satori guessing her already been taken while giving order for Ran and Chen.

Well, I assume that in between commanding the shikigami and whisking Marisa away, Yukari got possessed and by the time she informs Reimu that she found it, the spirit was in control. My money's probably on the possession not being instantaneous or that it varies depending on the victim and that Yukari got possessed at the shrine at the beginning of chapter 9 when Reimu and Marisa were telling her what happend over tea. Sure, Reimu probably made said tea, but chances are that the possessed victim simply needs to pour the drink and give it to someone else for it to transfer. Of course, "Why didn't it attack Reimu right then and there if that's the case?" comes to mind and I think it's gathering power from it's victims to become powerful enough to squish Reimu.

But eh, I'm just spitballing here. I probably have a hole or two in my theory but it's all guesswork, don't take it too seriously.

joined Jul 12, 2020

well, my problem is that the spirit is able to freely abuse Yukari's body and power. Patchouli, Meiling, Alice, and even Yuyuko just instantly collapsed after being possessed, but it is not the case with Yukari. And as far as the story order goes, Yukari is supposed to poison Alice before bringing Marisa to her, which means the spirit should leave her body at the point to possess Alice. But for some reason, it still controls Yukari, running back and forth to the shrine until a while later she appears to tell Reimu about her discovery. I think that Yukari personally help out the spirit herself for some unknown reason, but well, we just lack information for any claims

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Rrat

joined Jul 12, 2020

Seem like the 2 silhouettes on the last page are Marisa and Mokou deciding to sneak in

last edited at Nov 30, 2021 9:08AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.