Forum › Posts by Levander

joined Apr 24, 2020

Ashiyama recently updated the Pixiv version of the series to include certain minor changes that he made in the latest re-release of the books. At the time of writing, on Dynasty, we've only changed Ch. 1 due to the upload system being uncooperative. It's the one with the most significant changes, though, so maybe that's fine for now.

Ch. 1: Pages 1-9 redone with some new art and a couple pages that were in the original book release, but omitted from the Pixiv version until now. Also included a title page for "Part 1" of the series, which apparently includes books 1-2.
Ch. 3: Pages 10-11 redrawn to have more realistically sized money.
Ch. 4: Page 1 has a new introductory quote.

Besides those three, all future chapters will be using the latest version from the get-go.

last edited at Mar 11, 2024 10:07AM

joined Apr 24, 2020

Is this still self-published if it's under Comic Walker? Or is Comic Walker just a distribution platform and it still qualifies as a doujinshi? I mean, damn I can't believe Meiling x Sakuya is so popular they published this derivative work under Comic Walker.

It's not strictly/strictly is not a doujinshi given it's published by Kadokawa. It's part of the same Strange Creators of Outer World publication scheme as e.g. Gensokyo of Humans, The Shinigami's Rowing Her Boat as Usual, or The Tiles That I Cannot Cut Are Next to None, which basically means monthly publication for hand-picked Touhou doujin artists. The doujinshi label just gets slapped on as a shorthand for "non-canon, no involvement by ZUN".

joined Apr 24, 2020

The great thing is that these chapters originally came out in 2016, five years before Megumu was introduced.
(The Iizuna-Saburou they mention as one of the strongest tengu is also her.)

last edited at Jan 18, 2024 5:15PM

joined Apr 24, 2020

Why did marisa not want to eliminate akyuu right then and there?

If you mean chapter 29, supposedly 24,300 points was simply the most she could get out of Akyuu in that instant.
If you mean chapter 30, she felt she had to slow down if she didn't want to risk being countered by Remilia or Youmu.

i thought if one player runs out of points the match immediately ends, so Marisa would come out on top in ch. 30?

Yes, that's correct. If Akyuu ran out of points while Marisa was in first place, she would instantly win.

The point wasn't that she had to slow down how quickly she was taking points from Akyuu. She would love to eliminate Akyuu as soon as possible. It was that if she rushed forward in order to take them, she could get tripped up by Remilia or Youmu and end up not getting them at all.

joined Apr 24, 2020

Why did marisa not want to eliminate akyuu right then and there?

If you mean chapter 29, supposedly 24,300 points was simply the most she could get out of Akyuu in that instant.
If you mean chapter 30, she felt she had to slow down if she didn't want to risk being countered by Remilia or Youmu.

joined Apr 24, 2020

Youkai don't just naturally fall unconscious after being possessed, it happens as a result of Mizuchi draining them of energy before she leaves. So if she doesn't do that (because she's in a hurry or bad shape or something, I guess), they're fine immediately after just like any human would be.

(Presumably she can drain magical energy from humans too, but they don't care so much because unlike youkai, their bodies don't literally run on it.)

last edited at Nov 29, 2023 3:38PM

joined Apr 24, 2020

For full context: Unlike Gensokyo of Humans and Magician Who Loved a Fake, which were published through Strange Creators of Outer World, this is Ashiyama's self-published doujin that's been going since 2015. He's been working on it before, in between, and sometimes during those other series.

Most of the series has been originally published as books, which were then divided into chapters for the Pixiv release used here.

The plan is to upload two chapters a month, and once we've caught up, just do them whenever Ashiyama publishes more.

How many are out and how frequent do they update?

Right, forgot to include that.

There's 28 chapters right now, with the latest having come out a couple weeks ago. The actual release rate is uneven, though, and depends on what else Ashiyama is working on. Generally faster when he doesn't have another series going, obviously.

joined Apr 24, 2020

For full context: Unlike Gensokyo of Humans and Magician Who Loved a Fake, which were published through Strange Creators of Outer World, this is Ashiyama's self-published doujin that's been going since 2015. He's been working on it before, in between, and sometimes during those other series.

Most of the series has been originally published as books, which were then divided into chapters for the Pixiv release used here.

The plan is to upload two chapters a month, and once we've caught up, just do them whenever Ashiyama publishes more.

joined Apr 24, 2020

Yeah, apparently there was a bunch of trouble with Dynasty's upload system (whether due to user error or the system itself), mixing up the page order and somehow overwriting the previous chapter too. Both should hopefully be alright now.

joined Apr 24, 2020

Aaand that's all the "missing" chapters uploaded too. With that, the series is done, unless of course the artist comes back to do another installment later on.

I only now noticed that there's a couple more bonus 4koma at the end of the collected tankoubon, so I'll probably post those eventually, but that's it.

Thanks for reading!

last edited at Oct 23, 2023 10:50AM

joined Apr 24, 2020

Also, looking at the pixiv, the author has the title translated on there as "The Magician in love with a Fake", any reason for this change?

That title first appeared on the cover of the tankoubon, i.e. after five chapters had already been translated and released. It's close enough (even if somewhat inferior imo) that I probably would've used it had it been there from the start, but I saw no need to force myself to adapt to it that far in. With the exception of "Gensokyo of Humans", which was added in the second chapter and was better than my original translation, I don't take the English titles on the cover of the books very seriously anyway. ("Foul Detective Satori" on the milder end, "There aren't many tiles that can't be discard" on the other.)

I don't think even Ashiyama was too committed to the English title, for that matter, since the same Pixiv release also calls it "A Wizard in Love with a Fake" and "The Wizard Who Fell in Love with a Fake". It seems the SCoOW tankoubon are all adding them to the covers as a matter of course, basically just as a design element. (https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/101271998)

Personally I think the question of past or present tense isn't too relevant either, being a series/book title.

last edited at Aug 30, 2023 4:09PM

joined Apr 24, 2020

did marisa waste her bomb for a cat?

"Waste"?

joined Apr 24, 2020

To explain the weird new chapter numbering: the first chapter of Go For It Gensokyo -Four Seasons- is actually the tenth chapter of Go For It Gensokyo as a whole. Chapters #1-9 were published in the (currently defunct) Strange Creators of Outer World magazine starting in 2015.

I did the first 3 chapters as a package deal due to them being so short, but the remaining chapters 4-9 should be coming at a roughly monthly pace.

last edited at Mar 30, 2023 11:58AM

joined Apr 24, 2020

The extras/afterwords of books 1, 2 and 3 have been added.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_tiles_that_i_cannot_cut_are_next_to_none_ch5_5
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_tiles_that_i_cannot_cut_are_next_to_none_ch10_5
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_tiles_that_i_cannot_cut_are_next_to_none_ch17_5

I hope to keep doing them as volume 4 and so on come out, but unfortunately they'll always be lagging behind somewhat as the chapter translations themselves are done off the web version.

joined Apr 24, 2020

This has already become the longest manga in SCoOW, which is somewhat crazy to think about (especially since it's kind of the weird outlier as "the mahjong manga"). Well, I guess being bizarrely long is also on brand for mahjong manga, though. There's no real rule or precedent for how long SCoOW manga can get (other than whatever was the longest previously - Gensokyo of Humans at 16 chapters), so I guess it comes down to whatever the author and publisher feel like.

Cheating Detective Satori is technically longer-running than this, but with a hiatus in between, and has a couple more chapters, but they're way, way shorter.

last edited at Sep 22, 2022 3:48PM

joined Apr 24, 2020

Was this the last chapter?

Seems that way.

joined Apr 24, 2020

I mean, from the same author, so instant sub. Interesting premise nontheless, and I wonder if this takes after gensokyo of humans, before, or even in a different timeline? Can the translator say something more?

I don't have any secret insight, but being a big fan of GoH, I obviously wondered about that too. While GoH explicitly took place in "the future" from most Touhou stories' point of view (and even on a real-life calendar), until proven otherwise I'll have to assume that this one takes place in the same non-specific "present" as most do. However, unless there's some specific reference, it could also be afterwards; I would say the characters look younger here, but that could come down to art style changes, and it's not like they exactly looked "old" in GoH either.

Different timeline is more or less impossible to speculate on, but with GoH, I did think that some of its Reimu characterization for instance was made more fun by assuming it took place in the context of Ashiyama's other, previous doujins.

Alright, I guess us keen readers will keep a lookout on any references. Do you plan on translating all their doujins - since you said there have been more than one.

I've translated two on Danbooru, but they haven't been typeset.
https://safebooru.donmai.us/pools/gallery?commit=Search&search%5Bname_matches%5D=ashiyama+yoshinori

They have a long, ongoing tengu series on Pixiv, which I shamefully haven't read most of yet, and which is probably a high hurdle to get translated due to its length - but it would be great to do, over a long time.
https://www.pixiv.net/user/782478/series/64086

Other than that, they have one longer book on E-Hentai (which is unfortunately one of the best places to find scans of SFW doujins too, but which I'm not going to link here) that would be fun to translate at some point.

last edited at Mar 1, 2022 2:30PM

joined Apr 24, 2020

I mean, from the same author, so instant sub. Interesting premise nontheless, and I wonder if this takes after gensokyo of humans, before, or even in a different timeline? Can the translator say something more?

I don't have any secret insight, but being a big fan of GoH, I obviously wondered about that too. While GoH explicitly took place in "the future" from most Touhou stories' point of view (and even on a real-life calendar), until proven otherwise I'll have to assume that this one takes place in the same non-specific "present" as most do. However, unless there's some specific reference, it could also be afterwards; I would say the characters look younger here, but that could come down to art style changes, and it's not like they exactly looked "old" in GoH either.

Different timeline is more or less impossible to speculate on, but with GoH, I did think that some of its Reimu characterization for instance was made more fun by assuming it took place in the context of Ashiyama's other, previous doujins.

last edited at Mar 1, 2022 12:54PM

joined Apr 24, 2020

Wow, I was right. Either way, I dont feel like Im reading english at this point, whats going on... But I do like the pictures, and since they dont use ancient babylonian number systems, I can at least follow the points.

Btw, is there some kind of latex package that writes mahjong tiles, or how do the scanlators insert those?

The author has inserted the tile pictures in the original text, and I just move them around to fit the positioning of the English typeset.

However, mahjong tiles are also Unicode symbols. That came in necessary for the big "to go deeper" page where I needed them to fit with the gradient.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahjong_Tiles_(Unicode_block)

Were you suprised by the existence of unicode symbols for mahjong tiles? Because I certainly am. Nice job translating btw.

Somewhat, but at this point I'd believe more or less anything you told me was a Unicode symbol.

And thanks!

joined Apr 24, 2020

Wow, I was right. Either way, I dont feel like Im reading english at this point, whats going on... But I do like the pictures, and since they dont use ancient babylonian number systems, I can at least follow the points.

Btw, is there some kind of latex package that writes mahjong tiles, or how do the scanlators insert those?

The author has inserted the tile pictures in the original text, and I just move them around to fit the positioning of the English typeset.

However, mahjong tiles are also Unicode symbols. That came in necessary for the big "to go deeper" page where I needed them to fit with the gradient.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahjong_Tiles_(Unicode_block)

last edited at Feb 19, 2022 8:35AM

joined Apr 24, 2020

I enjoyed this, but what is with the words on the last 2 pages? Are they playing Shiritori? That kinda doesnt work if you translate the words and dont explain.

That was kind of a mystery to me too at first. Shiritori is the first thing I checked for, but no, that's not it. However, I found out later (after the translation was already out) that they're listing kigo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kigo), specific season-themed words used in Japanese poetry.

joined Apr 24, 2020

As you may or may not have heard, the artist has had to drop out for health reasons (you may have noticed that they missed a bunch of months a while ago). Hence the little "The End" and "Thanks for reading" on the last page. This was only announced a couple days ago, and apparently the fate of the manga is still being decided, but I'd say there's a good chance it will resume eventually with a different artist and possibly a different name. Since it's an official series, it'd be odd to leave it hanging there.

This has happened before, when the first artist of the Three Fairies manga had to drop out for similar reasons and was replaced a couple months later.

Anyhow, wishing a quick recovery to both the artist and the manga.