Forum › Otherside Picnic discussion

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Bit of a marathon reading session but finally all caught up - enjoying it so far, just hope that they continue to progress in their relationship

Shoujo%20kageki%20revue%20starlight%20-%2009%20-%20large%2035
joined Apr 22, 2017

The manga definitely sells the horror better than the anime. Episode 5 was the one that seemed the best so far (but I could be bias because that's my favorite arc so far, also they gave it more room to breath by not trying to cram everything in one episode), maybe it'll pick up?

Episode 5 was the best for me too. The pacing, the music, the animation was just nice. I hoped they keep up thr quality for ep 6, but that episode was quite a let down in term of pacing. I like what do for the monkey part tho.

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

The latest episode of the anime adapts this beach arc in one go and oddly I think it managed to equal the manga or even surpass it for this arc, aside from the fact that it's confusing because they shifted the arcs around. They omitted some cool details (like the conversation with the cab driver) but the general spookiness and malice were all there and the tension was just right. Really just has me going "what the hell happened with those other episodes", though, and now that it's caught up I have no idea what to expect in the future (other than perhaps some of the content they skipped over)

Looking forward to seeing where the manga goes, too. I guess if I was reading the LNs I'd know what's next... other than yuri

I feel like this arc amps up the malice pretty dramatically compared to where it's been so far. The soldiers were in constant danger but until this point it's never really felt like the Otherside and its inhabitants were paying attention to Sorawo or Toriko as single existences, it's just a Dangerous Place. But now suddenly it seems to care about them, which is interesting, especially since they seem to have arrived basically at random.

last edited at Feb 17, 2021 4:56AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

They omitted some cool details

Yeah like the fact they have guns. You know, the ones they got AFTER saving the US soldiers. EVen the anime only where confused as why they suddendly have guns.They also removed Sorawo being in Gay Panic when she saw Toriko naked.

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

That thing is actually a thing.

43353v3
joined Jun 7, 2020

Glad there's a manga, as it's 100x better than the anime adaptation.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

I love how chaotic the Beach arc is. The girls act so reckless, even by their own standards.

It didn't occur to me in the novel, but isn't Toriko suspiciously calm while she thinks she shot two people?

last edited at Feb 17, 2021 10:27PM

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

The moment of realization that the sky above them isn't actually the sky; that it's instead the terrifying blue light of the Otherisde and it HAS been the whole time while they've been carelessly frolicking on the beach; that moment is probably one of the most intense "oh fuck" moments I've seen from the novels. I'm glad the manga managed to pull it off well.

I love how chaotic the Beach arc is. The girls act so reckless, even by their own standards.

Something I think should always be remembered is that the Otherside screws with people's heads. It not only provokes fear, it also causes them to accept or ignore things that would normally make them stop and seriously question the situation.

It didn't occur to me in the novel, but isn't Toriko suspiciously calm while she thinks she shot two people?

I think she was compartmentalizing her emotions. Had they turned out to be actually people instead of Otherside nightmare things, she probably would have had a bit of a breakdown later.

last edited at Feb 18, 2021 6:43AM

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

So I'm starting this a little late but here goes. I thought the "STALKER with lesbians" thing was more or less a joke because of the clear references to Roadside Picnic, but then the dude shows up with an AK, calls it "the Zone," and uses nuts and bolts to reveal "glitches"

I had to laugh cuz I realized "STALKER with lesbians" was not a joke at all.

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

Holy crap I freaking love this manga and Toriko being a fellow canadian is just icing on the cake.

Also, we should update the laconic description to "Lesbian STALKERs fight SCPs in the Metaverse"

last edited at Feb 25, 2021 2:16PM

joined Dec 30, 2018

Anothr great chapter

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Be sure to read the final page! Chapters will now be monthly. Exciting (but also sad)!

joined Mar 14, 2016

Wait hold up, does this mean we can translate otherside text now?

joined Aug 8, 2020

Wow the anime has already reached the beach arc? feels like they're rushing to me.

Crying%20trash
joined Feb 8, 2018

Not the turn I was expecting this to take.

Madame_Firenze
76047650-352-k633682
joined Jul 17, 2015

I would really recommend reading the LNs if you’re disappointed by the anime, I did recently and they’re fantastic

joined Jul 22, 2020

I really like the translation page! Cool idea :D

Jahy-sama%20(11)
joined Jul 5, 2017

Although the anime is a downright mess especially with the sequence of events jumbled, I really liked the character, Akari Seto in the anime. She is quite a bubbly and a bit aloof girl with a badass quality. Can't wait to see more of her character development in the manga.....!!

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Glad this is here. With mangadex down for the foreseeable future, who knows when I would have gotten to read it otherwise.

Here we see the not so great side of Sorawo: if someone she doesn't care about is in trouble, even if it's trouble Sorawo could conceivably help with, her response is that it's not her problem and she tries her best to abandon them to their fate. I suspect that's probably another remnant from her screwed up childhood, although admittedly the whole "just don't get involved" attitude is hardly unique to her.

It's not a very heroic attitude, but then Sorawo is an atypical heroine, to say the least.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I'm currently anime-only following this, but from the first few pages I've seen in the manga, it seems they've toned down the yuri in the anime.
The story is pretty interesting and bizarre and it's inspired by a book called "Roadside Picnic" written in 1971. It's actually scary at some parts, which I didn't expect to feel like since I've never been scared in anime (I've been disgusted, but that's different). I think the sound effects in the "scary scenes" is one of the reasons.
On the other hand, there seems to be a lack of a main plot or goal, and I don't think the yuri is strong enough to be the main reason someone will follow this if they are not interested in its world and story.
Despite that, there are so many theories you can make about who Satsuki is or what the Otherside is, which is why I'm watching it.

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Generally we would very strongly encourage people not to go anime-only on this, because the anime does not do a very good job of adapting this series.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Generally we would very strongly encourage people not to go anime-only on this, because the anime does not do a very good job of adapting this series.

I will read the manga too at some point, probably when I'm out of anime this season. But generally I like anime more even if they don't adapt mangas well, because there's motion and sound and it makes the scenes more intense and realistic. For example, the sound effects add a whole another perspective to the scary factor. Also the colors.
If I read the manga I then lose the will to watch the anime, and I feel like I'm missing out from the experience. But also I can't wait every week for an episode, so oftentimes I switch to manga which ends up being the same regarding the waiting lol

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

babies are scary but cats? naah

joined Oct 20, 2020

For anyone who read it here first, there were some missing pages in ch. 12, which have been now been fixed. Go re-read, it's worth it.

Edit: Not my work, just noticed there was no post by the scanlation team.

last edited at Apr 5, 2021 6:13PM

ParasyticGhoul
Smell_1
joined Dec 5, 2016

Just finished the anime and I am addicted! Just finished reading this too so off to read the LN!

To reply you must either login or sign up.