Forum › Posts by I_am_nemo

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020
Xunyuyuyu-1683884973017931776-img1

Good to know I'm not the only one with enough UraPi brainrot to have seen SoraTori at first.

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

Her hand is getting more and more translucent so will she herself eventually become intangible?How many volumes of the LN has this covered?

This is the last part of of vol 3 of the novels, currently there are 8 published in Japan (7 translated). As far as Toriko's hand There has been no mention in the text of it spreading beyond her wrist, though one illustration does show it as having spread to her forearm.

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

Been away for a few months waiting for chapters to accumulate (last one read was the ninja cats). Have the two leads announced their feelings for one another yet? Thanks in advance.

If you want something mutual and stated in clear terms, you'll have to come back in 2-3 years. It's a careful adaptation of a slow burn romance, it is going to take its time.

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

Y'know, people are acting like this is a huge moment, but I kinda assumed that they've been dating all along? In a very low-key way. I'm pretty sure they sleep in the same bed, they're clearly comfortable with being naked around each other, this is far from the first time Kouhai has expressed a love for cute girls (I don't know if she draws outright yuri, but she was going gaga over all the women at the industry party a few chapters ago).

I can see this, but at the same time there was the chapter with the April fools joke where Kouhai seemed to just accept that Senpai would up and leave her for a job, with minimal prelude? Which seems a little casual for actually dating, as opposed to just heavily crushing on your roomate.

I was kinda debating this back and forth last night after catching up on the last 10 chapters, and I'm still not sure which seems more plausible.

joined Oct 20, 2020

I wasn't hoping for an Asumi-chan naked apron or anything...

Well she is trying to keep things wholesome and all. Not very successfully, mind you, but it's the thought that counts and it's not like she's radiating that borderline She Gets Girls Every Day. tier gay magnetism on purpose... :P

True, true.

Still gonna hold out hope for future chapters.

joined Oct 20, 2020

I wasn't hoping for an Asumi-chan naked apron or anything...

maybe in a later chapter?

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

If they don't want to adapt to completion, stopping at the end of vol 4 would be pretty solid. End of vol 3 isn't bad either; it might be my favorite ending scene in all of vol 1-6.

I just hope it doesn't get randomly axed mid volume or mid file.

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

I love the end of this file, with them having to be in side-by-side beds because they were holding hands and couldn't be separated. Maybe the chapter needs a warning tag for all that handholding?

And, of course, Sorawo getting her feelings across perhaps more than she realizes

Next chapter starts vol three of the novels.

Wherein Sorawo asks herself the all important question: What's the deal with Toriko and her two moms?

last edited at Mar 27, 2022 8:54PM

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

Kozakura: "Wait, it's not 'panic'?"

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

If she told Toriko that it’s Satsuki doing all this evil stuff maybe Toriko wouldn’t be so hung up on Satsuki.

All what evil stuff? This is only the second time Sorawo has seen Satsuki, and it's the first time she's been able to solidly connect Satsuki to anything happening (she only shows up at the last second on the beach). Not exactly a lot of go on, not to mention this isn't really a good time to sit down and discuss it.

That aside, given how desperate Toriko's been to find Satsuki, I don't think it's unreasonable for Sorwo to worry that confirming her existence would send Toriko off on another wild search for her like in file 4. Toriko hasn't exactly demonstrated the ability to approach the matter in a calm, rational fashion.

That's not to say Sorawo's approach is exactly rational or healthy either, but I think it's at least understandable given the circumstances. Especially at this point.

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

I will never cease to be amazed at the people who made it to file 5 or 6 in the manga and then acted surprised that it was yuri.

Sorawo: gets saved from drowning.
Sorawo: stares goddam she's unbelievably gorgeous
Sorawo: what was I saying again?

People: (30+ chapters later) "wait, are they, like, interested in each other?"

Of course, that's not the same as wondering whether the story will commit to text or just keep it as subtext (not throwing shade on anyone here), but the subtext, at least, is blatant.

last edited at Oct 29, 2021 3:55PM

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

The official English translation is being done over at Jnovel Club. They recently finished translating volume 6. I imagine they will start translating and releasing chapters for volume 7 shortly after its official release in Japan.

Licensing and translation for volume 4 and 5 was less than prompt. I wouldn't be too surprised if something delays vol 7, though I hope that won't be the case.

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

Related to the novel: is volume 6 the final volume or will there be more?

Volume 7 is currently scheduled for a Dec 16 release in Japan. No indication that will be the final volume either.

edit:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/4150315094/

last edited at Oct 25, 2021 2:15PM

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

Sometimes I have this urge of slapping Toriko no matter how much I like her. I just want them to stop and just go to the yuri romance route instead

Don’t worry, the yuri is coming. . . Eventually. . . We’re like, half way there. . .

Do you know which chapter?
Personally I don't mind spoilers here because I like the manga formatting way more than the LN, so when the manga catches up (after 3 years :D) it will be refreshing to see it drawn too.
Yuri aside, I think this story is underrated though.

It's hard to say what the manga chapter will be. The manga is currently adapting the last file of vol 2, things take an overtly romantic turn at the very end of vol 3 and then into vol 4 (and 5, and 6, and 7 once that's published). But if I had to guess, it'll be chapter 71 or 72 when it gets started

And just to clarify, you mean catches up to that particular spot, right? Because the novels are being written about 2x as fast as the manga can adapt them.

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

Can't wait for a couple of chapters more until the manga surpasses the anime and we get new story...!!
The manga has some extra subtle details that make the story feel more like a shoujo ai, like now Toriko flirting with Sorawo. Anime could be interpreted as both (friendship or subtext romance).
Also Toriko has this mysterious vibe here and you can tell the artist is trying to draw her as attractive as possible in every frame, when in anime she is more bland.

Yeah, the anime lost a lot of the details; fortunately the manga's picking them up. Anime really could have stood to play up the yuri aspect more in that last episode -- even having them holding hands as they walked back to the gate would made it more clear. Changing the order also obscures it a little.

Emphasizing Toriko's appearance (hopefully) conveys how Sorawo is seeing her (novel Sorawo practically doesn't shut up about how good she looks) as well as the fact that she definitely stands out, (especially in Japan).

joined Oct 20, 2020

J-Novel club has started pre-pubs of volume 5.
https://twitter.com/jnovelclub/status/1388267989821239299

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

The fact that the racoon is actually a figurine changes the entire aesthetic of Kozakura's character...…..!!!!!! Like why would the studio go through the effort of animating a racoon instead of just leaving it as an object?!!

I don't think it was ever intended to be an actual raccoon, just a plushie. Plushie vs. figurine doesn't change that much, though the effect of the plushie is definitely cuter.

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

is the manga just gonna follow how the anime went?

It's following the novel here. The anime deviated, moving file 3 (Kisaragi) after file 4 (Space Time Man) and kicking file 5 (Rescue mission) all the way to the end. The manga has file 3, 4, and 5 in order, followed by file 6 (beach arc) and currently file 7 (Ninja cats). The next file after this will be one that was not covered in the anime. Hopefully we'll get there before the end of the year.

is the manga just gonna follow how the anime went?

I think it's gonna follow the LN more.

That seems to be true from what I've noticed, since the order of the cases matches the order shown on the TV Tropes recap page. For example, the ninja cats case is after the case in which Toriko and Sorawo rescue the US forces, but the latter was at the end of the anime, after the ninja cats case.

I got into the series through the anime, but while I enjoyed it, I personally find that the manga/light novel's order of events makes significantly more sense. I'm considering purchasing the light novels, but I might start with Volume 3 or 4 and go back to the first two later.

Anime didn't cover file 8, which is the last arc of volume 2. You really should read that in order to set up volume 3 (or file 11 specifically).

last edited at Apr 21, 2021 5:27PM

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

For anyone who read it here first, there were some missing pages in ch. 12, which have been now been fixed. Go re-read, it's worth it.

Edit: Not my work, just noticed there was no post by the scanlation team.

last edited at Apr 5, 2021 6:13PM

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

I just realised something. The sign at Kisaragi Station is perfectly legible, which means... what? If it looks like Japanese to us, is it really something... else?

I'd assume it's just a matter of it being text that originates on the other side. This gets discussed in chapter 20.

I_am_nemo
joined Oct 20, 2020

It appears the chapter 3, and only chapter 3, is tagged as "horror." Not sure whether that tag should be applied to the entire manga, but it's not uniquely applicable to chapter three.