Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Well, TMNR managed to sucker everyone into reading this... good luck finding an audience with the next manga.

Luckily I only started reading this about the time the previous chapter came out, so I didn't invest years of my life into it the way some people did. The sheer rage from people who read from the time the first chapter was posted has to be able to be felt across the planet as a temperature shift.

__toshinou_kyouko_yuru_yuri_drawn_by_namori__943f8c23512b1acef28d53ce169c5909
joined Apr 24, 2020

Well now, that was abrupt. Makes me feel like I'm going to forget this in no time even though it went on and on and on for so long. At least, Uta and Kaoru got there....eventually....I think?

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

Aww the rushed ending is a shame. Feels like the author had to abruptly end it. But I still enjoyed it.

joined Dec 13, 2013

I think the thing that annoys the most is the fact that after 4 years, there was literally no kiss or demonstration of romantic love from Kaoru to Uta. And then suddenly at the ending they’re… living together?

Based on the “II’ll stay in love with her forever” that Uta says in this chapter, I can only assume she KNOWS it’s stupid to love Kaoru romantically but she’ll do it anyway bc woah true love!! While Kaoru is just… there.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

to be honest, and I might be the only one here, but instead moving to live with Trashoru again (like no growth whatsoever, right?!), I wanted Uta to moved on completely, and actually dated someone else (like Sayaka in Bloom Into You - we only learned later on she was dating someone else), that would mean something to me. Like I tried and did my best, but you know what? Sometimes in life you just gotta learn to move on, that would be more meaningful to me, this resolution right here, alongside the several plot holes/unsolved conflicts, ain't it!

I’ve got to agree, and I believe several people here made that argument, especially as the chapters wound down to the end and Kaoru still showed not the slightest evidence of being sexually attracted to women generally nor to Uta in particular.

I’m sure there have been real-life examples of “woman pretends to be/convinces herself she is a lesbian because she is emotionally dependent on another woman,” but I don’t expect many of us think of that as a “happy ending.”

joined Jan 18, 2016

Wow, this one was so bad, i had to login and comment, lol.

I really like TMnR, i enjoy all of those Love Live doujinshi. It seems like she did great when she did stuff at her own pace, on her own passion.

I was excited at first for this manga, the art was great, and the story seems interesting. But ever since then, the art devolved and the plot turned into convoluted mess. Im no expert, but it seems to me that she isnt ready with serialization, and all of the limitation that comes with it. Fuck, everything was so unbelievably bad and unsatisfying, plot resolving in the stupidest way possible. I'd honestly feel bad for her, but man, there is no way i would be excited for her next serialization. So bad.

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

Lolwat that ending

I actually forgot that other couple existed and who was even that tanned girl? Vaguely recalling... the experienced one?

Damn that ending makes no sense... too many time skips.

Yuriisthebestest
joined Sep 4, 2020

WHAT THE FUCK I'VE BEEN READING THIS LIKE FOR 4 YEARS?? I WANT MOREEE but I'm glad that it end good for her

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

FOUR FUCKING YEARS and thats the ending we get? Not a kiss, not a confession, not a damn thing? I feel so fucking cheated. Thank God I did not waste a cent for this piece of shit story.
I have never given this rating before, but this deserves it, 0/10. Won't even come back to re-read it. Please yuri lovers, do the upcoming yuri newbs a favor and never recommend this trash to them.

Yuri otaku here, oh believe me I won't. I still have a hard time believing My Unrequited Love was in a Yuri Hime publication. Usually with plots like these they are condensed into a 30 page oneshot. Which MUL should of been, a 30 paged oneshot.

last edited at Oct 19, 2020 11:24PM

joined Feb 27, 2016

That was ugh.... Like I don’t really remember starting this it was so long ago but I do remember looking forward to ever chapter so excited to see what happened next expecting a lot of sadness since the whole relationship was supposed to have a very slim chance of becoming a reality... But this... All of that for this.. I don’t know if it’s because of how long I waited or because it’s such a slap in the face towards fans that irks me more. It’s was idk how many chapters of Kaoru agonizing over her husband cheating and lying to her and going back because she choose to be stupid,Uta being the only person to truly love her and getting nothing in return to end up like this? There just roommates and he kept banging her best friend Jesus this is 4 years worth of salt exploding from my body at once.

Girls%20last%20tour%20ost%20art
joined Dec 4, 2017

im not mad.. just disapionted.. after a roller coaster of a story, this ending makes me feel nothing tbh which is unfortunate bc i was always fond of this one but jeez this is just awful..

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

im not mad.. just disapionted.. after a roller coaster of a story, this ending makes me feel nothing tbh which is unfortunate bc i was always fond of this one but jeez this is just awful..

After Kaoru clearly rejected Uta, I was expecting ending of this type.

Problem I have here is that Uta has no agency or direction with ending like this, she just keeps on living with her straight crush "big sister" and that's it. In fact, their lives together are probably creepy, because Uta will keep on staring and fantasizing and masturbating about her every day and never getting some from another women... She's going to be a horny lesbian virgin for the rest of her life.

I would have enjoyed Risako and Uta realizing mutually that they are both gay and have a crush on same straight girl, and take it from there. Uta could have NTR'ed her brother too, for extra laughts. :)

last edited at Oct 19, 2020 11:45PM

joined Aug 1, 2013

Yikes. A story with this much nonsense riddled in needs a payoff at the end. This just leaves me feeling like, really? What was the point? Four years for the author to leave us an open ambiguous ending?

Tumblr_b9119341864f4a413e9ee9aac568bb24_2bec616a_1280%20(1)
joined Apr 2, 2020

So the two are living together... but with Kaoru having no romantic feelings towards the younger girl? and didn’t Uta say she’s gonna hold onto the “dumb unrequited love” so she still has a crush on Kaoru while being in the same house as her?!! and the fact that the brother/ex-husband lives in the SAME BUILDING makes it even more messed
up and unsettling wtf.

after like 30+ chapters over a span of 4 years couldn’t this be wrapped up a little more realistically? like Uta moving on from Kaoru and getting herself a gf and Kaoru moving on from the ex-husband and working on herself cause she was just fucked up like,,, the entire series with some serious dependency issues. or at least like... end it by making kaoru realize that she’s gay and then making them get together. that’s a terrible ending too (and unbelievable), but it would still make more sense than whatever the fuck THIS is... like wow i’m speechless.

it’s even worse than the lesbian gym manga ending with the timeskip. in all honestly, this is why homophobia rates in the country is going up /j

last edited at Oct 20, 2020 12:05AM

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

Miyabi and Kuro are still together, and because of that, I don’t think the last chapter is too bad.

last edited at Oct 20, 2020 12:07AM

joined Feb 14, 2019

I've defended the storytelling in this series in the past, but I'll admit this ending is a bit annoying.

It seems very likely it was rushed for some reason, with tmnr abruptly changing course to tie things up in only a few chapters (cancelled by magazine, other commitments, who knows?)

In that context the supporting characters and secondary plot was always going to miss out so I won't dwell on that (got more than I expected there with the first part).

Looking at the broad strokes it was done pretty well, trying up the main issues in the Uta-Kaoru relationship - Kaoru's divorce and independence, confessing their feelings to each other, and in the final chapter both of them doing the self-discovery/independence thing, but still returning to each other.

Obviously, the rushed condensed end has missed opportunities for years of subtexty slice of life moments, but that was unavoidable in the frame of tying things off quickly. I don't really see the complaint about Kaoru's sexuality either - we never expect women in relationships with men to "prove" that then can be attracted to men, why do we expect it of wlw? Kaoru never said Uta's gender was a problem, only that she couldn't answer her feelings.

The previous chapter made it clear that if they saw an opportunity to live together they would take it, so that doesn't really need explaining either.

My main complaint is about the lack of clarity in the ending. I can only assume the ambiguity was intentional, but if that is the case it feels like they couldn't even commit to ambiguity properly.

It would have been easy to end on an ambiguous "where will the future take them?" note as in the previous chapter, eg ending when they meet again after the first time skip and agree to live together. But the second time skip is so large (apparently several years - Uta seems to have graduated and been working for some time) that it is unlikely they haven't reached some sort of resolution (or at least another discussion)... "where to now...?" has been replaced with "It happened, but I'm not telling you what!"

The chapter sets up an very strong presumption that they are together - Uta resolving to hold on to her feelings, and the framing of Uta and Kaoru in the last scene, with a strong "welcome home hubby" vibe (seriously, who waits listening near the door to eagerly greet their "platonic roommate" when they are late home).

Failing to commit with that sort of framing makes it feel like "plausible deniability" more than true ambiguity - which makes me wonder why. Is ex-sister in law that controversial (seems unlikely), or are the anti K/U fans that much of a factor? (certainly I see some Kaoru hate here, and some SJWs that would cancel the series on the basis of age-gap if it got romantic).

I've come to expect plausible deniability from non-yuri stories indulging in bating (Japan seems to have a bit of a genre cringe about putting confirmed same sex relationships in gen stories), but getting it from a yuri story leaves a bitter taste.

joined May 7, 2017

I have no problems with open endings, but do it in a way you can actually connect the dots in the end? This story has ended, however, the big mystery are not the unsolved conflicts nor the plot holes, but the status of Uta-Trashoru's relationship, some have interpreted they are together, I personally don't think they are, but give us a hint? Like Uta wearing a ring or a ring holder necklace, or at their doorstep, like a newly-wed thing of sorts, I dunno, any hint even if it is to confirm otherwise, but to end it like this you disrespect every reader who stayed for the ride these past 4 years

Bd-9rivccaa0cut
joined Aug 10, 2015

Them being together or not isn't even my biggest sticking point, tbh -- though honestly, I really would have preferred if Uta moved on and they just stayed friends, no moving back in, etc.

But the author definitely moved the story in the "they're ending up together" direction... but then kinda didn't commit?

The double time skip is what really got me, and then to do that plus leaving it even slightly ambiguous just really makes Uta's character far worse, especially with the "I'll just hold on to this unrequited love" resolution. If they aren't together at that end point, then she just moved back in, basically regressed and now has resolved to live her life with someone who doesn't feel the same way, but they apparently act like a couple...?

I'm pretty sure it's meant to show they are a couple now, but with that being the case, it just feels slapped on, and their relationship absolutely needed more build than a couple panels and a greeting.

That's not even getting into the other story threads.

This ending is just... big oof. I honestly thought we were gearing up for a "final arc" after the divorce that got them together more naturally, and resolved things much better, with adequate payoff. My mistake lol. Sigh...

I'm not going to swear off the author's works entirely, but the next one I read I'll absolutely be cautious of. This honestly just feels like it got axed too soon or something.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

grrrrrrrrrrr That's it!? After all of the drama, and the angst, Uta and Kaoru's relationship develops, in the last chapter, off camra, during a couple of time skips!? We don't even get a chance to see them together, as a couple. Or even know if they really became a proper couple for that matter. I mean talk a about a long journey for little pay off.

last edited at Oct 20, 2020 12:52AM

joined Feb 14, 2019

I have no problems with open endings, but do it in a way you can actually connect the dots in the end? This story has ended, however, the big mystery are not the unsolved conflicts nor the plot holes, but the status of Uta-Trashoru's relationship, some have interpreted they are together, I personally don't think they are, but give us a hint? Like Uta wearing a ring or a ring holder necklace, or at their doorstep, like a newly-wed thing of sorts, I dunno, any hint even if it is to confirm otherwise, but to end it like this you disrespect every reader who stayed for the ride these past 4 years

She is wearing a necklace in the last scene. It looks a bit like it could be the one Kaoru gave her:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch01#21
if so I guess it would be a bit significant, but we don't get a close enough look to be sure (its shape is not much more than round blob with cutout).

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Sucks for you guys but I only had three years wasted!
Also, like I wish I could give a shit about this ending
I wish I could get upset about it like I did with the shitty Citrus ending
But, I don't. I don't care about his ending I don't give a shit.
It's a real nothing ending with two time skips and no kiss, yet I just don't care.

Screen%20shot%202020-10-06%20at%203.36.22%20pm
joined Jun 18, 2020

OMFG

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

She is wearing a necklace in the last scene. It looks a bit like it could be the one Kaoru gave her:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch01#21
if so I guess it would be a bit significant, but we don't get a close enough look to be sure (its shape is not much more than round blob with cutout).

We totally do on that second to last page, and it just raises more questions. Both appear to be crescent moons with an orb in the middle, but the chain is fastened to the ornament differently on both. Is this the same necklace? Was it unintentional? Is it just sloppy? Was Citrus' ending really all that bad?

last edited at Oct 20, 2020 1:30AM

joined May 29, 2019

why do they live in the same building and on the SAME FLOOR as him I'm screaming lmao

joined Aug 21, 2017

This ending is a certified bruh moment

To reply you must either login or sign up.