Forum › The Skirt Sings at the Landing discussion

Screenshot_277
joined Aug 31, 2017

reading this and listening plastic love
vibe

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

SOMEBODY PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GODOKA ANIMATE THIS!!!!!

I need my dancing lesbians very badly.

last edited at Oct 15, 2020 9:41AM

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Oh hey, it's Ballroom e Yurikoso. Saw this on mangadex around a month back, and I'm glad it made it here.
I love how soft the art is, and it blends perfectly with the poetic, flowing nature of the prose. The overall style reminds me of Yamada and Kase's fluffiness crossed with the indirect, fleeting snapshot panels that Nakatani loves to use in Bloom Into You. Fundamentally, it feels very yuri (or maybe the term I'm looking for is Sapphic?).

Bimonthly serialization's gonna be tough to bear, but I hope Yuri Hime doesn't nuke this until we get to see at least one willowy girl in a suit with coattails and a rose pinned to her lapel. I love the cast dynamic, since it's the perfect mix of 'Silence, bottom!", and "You should really express yourself more, Bottom-senpai."

All in all, this manga has the Koito Yuu seal of approval, and I'm looking forward to following this story at the rollicking pace of 6 chapters a year.

Dynasty%20profile%20v13
joined Apr 27, 2018

Ooh this seems like it'll be good

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Soft and flowy, very dance yuri, much interested

Yesyes
joined Mar 17, 2020

i get the “i’ve seen this trope before so i’m not interested” point, but i think these common themes are perfectly okay as long as they’re done well, and tastefully. they exist because they resonate with a large amount of people, and generally aren’t that easy to completely screw up. not everything has to be totally groundbreaking and unique, and if it’s not your thing, nobody’s forcing you to read it. of course we’re 1.5 chapters in so it would be unfair to make almost any kind of assumption. also, i’ve definitely seen dance be super exciting and intense and i’d absolutely love to see it portrayed similarly with some nice gay drama as well :)

F0c1c7ea6c0d24b021d03256f2c658f6
joined Oct 9, 2019

On my way to beat those lil mfs who said she's tall

Clannadas20ushio3
joined Jun 22, 2016

I don't think this one applies to the trope of "society says tall girls can't be cute", this one is about how the tall girl can't play the follower role that she likes because of her height, and that makes a lot of sense in things like dance where the male has to be taller(or same height) than the female, deviating from that will likely make them lose points in competitions and the like, so she plays the male role while she'd prefer to play the female role, it's not like they can't do it but if they do they probably won't get too far in the dancing world.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

That credit page though.. made me lol.

Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

I always hate the trope where someone realizes the person they love is better off without them, so they just cut off all communication like that. Talk with them. Be honest. In a couple chapters the short haired friend is probably going to get all jealous, and it's going to be all her fault. Good intentions, but dumb move.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

I'm mixed on this right now...also: Holy crap the necks. One of the color pages at the end of chapter 1 is a perfect example.

Glad someone else felt similarly. Little too weird for me. I'll spend the entire time waiting for them to become rokurokubi.

DaSupremeXtream
Yatsude%202-min
joined Jul 11, 2019

I don’t know how to request tags but where the height gap tag??

On the Series Page, at the top-right corner, next to the comments, there should be a button with two bookmarks on it. Click that to suggest a tag. Granted, you don't have to because I and some others already suggested the "Height Gap" tag, lol

last edited at Oct 15, 2020 4:53PM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Yeah "MC overcomes the totally existent pressure to not be traditionally feminine in order to be traditionally feminine" is not really the stirring coming of age tale it keeps being portrayed as.

Some people want to be feminine. Can't see a problem with that.

Also, the issue here is not that she's being pressured to not be traditionally feminine. She's being pressured to do and be what fits her body type. Let's say there's a trans person who is pressured to live in line with their biological sex, even though they don't feel like that. It's that sort of issue.

Ultimately, the theme is simply "don't listen to people trying to tell you what and how you should be; listen to your heart instead."

joined Oct 27, 2018

Some people want to be feminine. Can't see a problem with that.

Come on Kazu-kun, they clearly weren't saying there is anything wrong with being feminine, what they said is a real trope and it's annoying, I mean I don't agree that this story is an example of that trope, but strawmanning people isn't cool.

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Yuuup tall bottom and short top

Yeppers

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

SOMEBODY PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GODOKA ANIMATE THIS!!!!!

I need my dancing lesbians very badly.

Ah a fellow Godoka worshipper, praise our goddess

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

I really love the angle we’re seeing here. Fundamentally it seems the story is about feeling alienated from your sense of self and happiness because others have decided (and frequently told you) that your body doesn’t fit your location within gender. Like what you want isn’t something that someone with your body gets to have. I actually think we don’t get that super often, at least from this direction. I mean yeah if you look at it just from a perspective of non-femme > femme it looks like a shitty trope, but like of course it does because you’re not including any of the other context.

Yes, the direction she’s going seems to be toward something more normative, but this is (at least to me) pretty clearly an example of someone healing from being precluded things that everyone else of your gender is just assumed to be able to have. Just as gender roles try to constrain how women are allowed to be, they also constrain who is allowed to be a woman, and I think that’s what we’re seeing here—the shitty idea that women are supposed to be small and weak is defended not just by degrading women when we try to be otherwise, but also excluding us from womanhood when we aren’t those things. The influence of patriarchy tries to reject counterexamples from both directions, because both show that the order and structure gender is constructed to provide are ultimately false, and reality is not so easily constrained into strict binaries.

I really fucking feel this as a trans woman, seeing some of my tall trans sisters wrestle deeply with feeling like they aren’t allowed to be femme or pretty—just as cis society tries to tell us we owe it femininity, it also tells us, especially tall or non-passing women, that they can’t have femininity. It’s a paradox meant to make us feel responsible for our own exclusion. Some of us aren’t femme, but we should have the fucking choice. Not being able to chose where you show up in gender always fucks you up.

Even when what society forces you to do aligns with what you want to do, it steals the agency and liberating self-expression that would come from a fully voluntary act of self-representation. We have high femme women in the lesbian community for a reason, and part of that reason is that wresting femininity away from the heteronormative patriarchy and claiming it for one’s own purposes is a powerful, transformative act. It says, “you don’t get to tell me whether or how I get to have these things, I decide that. I do not accept playing your game as a condition for having these things.”

So yes, I’m fucking hype for our protagonist learning how to break out of the negative bind of gender rolls, and I think it will be beautiful watching her learn that she gets to have her gender, and I strongly disagree with the perspective that she’s capitulating to the patriarchy. Capitulating would be letting yourself be erased, which is sort of what she has been doing, and I’m excited to watch her bloom into a gay ballroom femme.

last edited at Oct 15, 2020 8:19PM

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

^Excellent comment, and I agree completely.
While the whole butch/femme trope isn't as ingrained in Japanese media as it is in the West (although the tachi/neko dynamic is brought up in some of the the more adult-aimed Yuri series), I've noticed that lots of Japanese media still tends to sort female characters into 'cool' or 'cute'. This is also the country that gave us the Takarazuka Revue, so clearly, even when alternative means of gender performance are allowed, they're rarely accepted beyond certain degrees, and can often end up being just as constraining themselves (heck, even the whole 'tomboy' term just relates all assertiveness or sportiness on a woman's part to the opposite sex as opposed to treating it as something that has inherent uniqueness and value). At some point, we need to look past tropes and at a wider image of self-acceptance and I think that's what this mange is angling for.

On a related note, Flowers: Le Volume Sur Automne is a VN that has one of the best in-depth explorations of the 'butch lesbian who wants to be a femme, but feels afraid of changing up her princely aesthetic' trope that I've ever seen in any form of media, so you should check it out if you're interested in these kinds of narratives.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

sign me up. subscribed.

A8eb27cb4a70a5-a-nw-p
joined Feb 17, 2020

The art is amazing <3
Also, I hope they'll get very close

joined Feb 1, 2017

Seems like a bottom being forced to be top lol

Aweida_compressed
joined Oct 17, 2020

The art style is simplistic but it looks so charming and delicate that it makes my eye water, my eyes are purified and blessed.

last edited at Mar 29, 2021 12:54AM

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

"I've known for ages that you like the head."
My, oh my, what a lewd thing to say so early in the series

joined Jan 14, 2020

I'm mixed on this right now...also: Holy crap the necks. One of the color pages at the end of chapter 1 is a perfect example.

Baby serpents. Aiming to grow and eat eggs.

(Alice in Wonderland reference.)

joined Jan 14, 2020

It's funny that everyone is saying 172cm is not tall. For the average female High school student in Japan ranges from 156cm (5ft 1in)-160cm (5ft 3in) tall. So it very understandable about the height difference. Specially considering this as lead or follower in ballroom dancing makes it more noticeable.

It is tall, but 172 is like being one of the three tallest people in the classroom (1 in 11 or 14), whereas 182 cm would be one of the tallest in the school (1 in 900)

I always hate the trope where someone realizes the person they love is better off without them, so they just cut off all communication like that. Talk with them. Be honest. In a couple chapters the short haired friend is probably going to get all jealous, and it's going to be all her fault. Good intentions, but dumb move.

I took it as "I'm better off without the person I unrequitedly love". Needs distance for her own sake. A hard cutoff like that is shitty either way, of course.

To reply you must either login or sign up.