Forum › The Skirt Sings at the Landing discussion

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

ch5, pg 296, "don't want try" -> "don't want to try"

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Its a novel feeling reading about kiki's demons, because where i come from we associate height with elegance

That's generally true in the US, but I don't know how many lovely tallish women I've known or heard of (including * blush * my own mother) who felt hideously self-conscious as gawky teenagers, especially at that stage when adolescents are growing at wildly different rates (and at first girls are often outpacing the boys).

I think part of it is how much Japan still has the "nail that sticks out gets hammered down" mentality.

Edt: Plus the height averages in Japan are shorter than I think any Western country? Though I might be wrong there. I also don't think being tall is part of the beauty culture in Japan...but I might also be wrong there as well lol

last edited at May 5, 2021 5:16PM

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

Im gonna be real, I wasn't too interested from the first chapters, but you know, i'm actually starting to feel some good potential here, this feels really nice to read for some reason.

BlueFlareTOG
Hololive%2032
joined May 1, 2018

word. Kick that curse to the curb.

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

Excuse my ignorance: what is that "second volume course" they mentioned?

Youmu-nio-160pxw
joined Jun 20, 2019

First volume's out in Japan. Here's hoping for some new chapters.

Also, I didn't notice until looking at the new cover more closely, but there's been an English title there all along – and it says "The Skirt Rings At The Landing". The 鳴る in the title agrees. Hard-to-read cursive strikes again.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

"I've already heard Haruma, Toribami, Seto and Kouda are participating"
Ah cool, just give me a moment to remember just who in the world those people were? lol

Thankfully Haruma and Toribami were mentioned later, so that's a fifty percent success I guess XD

Anyway, despite this coming out only bimonthly and me forgetting... ahem, a couple of details, I'm really interested in seeing where it goes and I'm quite intrigued with this Shion issue, I'm looking forward to seeing how it will play out.

joined Dec 18, 2020

"He looked like a candle"
Lmaooooo

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

That outfit though… Toribami can lead me any day.

Ricowow
joined Dec 23, 2020

Oh god, THAT is the worst possible timing to have a panic attack. Poor girl...she must have been hit by stage fright really badly.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Oh god, THAT is the worst possible timing to have a panic attack. Poor girl...she must have been hit by stage fright really badly.

I guess that's one possibility, although considering her rejecting the offered food before, it may simply be because she hasn't eaten anything the whole day out of nervousness.

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

What a shit head of a dude, he does look like a candle

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

I don't like where this is going or at least the likely possibility she has to dance with her ex-partner. And of course, the one male character is immediately unlikable. Really hoping Toribami overcomes this.

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

What a shit head of a dude, he does look like a candle

I mean if he did resent the mc because of the height thing I’m not surprised he’s a bit of an ass when being faced with it again and seeing them both willingly (and happily) dance together. If anything I’m surprised the girl didn’t seem to bat an eye until the brother said something.

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

I don't like where this is going or at least the likely possibility she has to dance with her ex-partner. And of course, the one male character is immediately unlikable. Really hoping Toribami overcomes this.

I have hope for him yet though

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

It's nice to see her friend is still supporting her dream, but she still should have talked about it up front.

joined Nov 21, 2016

First two pages are beautifully colored.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I think I'm gonna have to wait until this one is done and come back and read it all in one go. It moves way too slowly for a bimonthly comic. I'm constantly forgetting what everybody's deal is.

I do like it, though. There's some weird top / bottom dynamics in this one that we don't normally get in these kinds of stories that makes it interesting.

Kanadechan%20sxdvfgbn
joined May 24, 2017

Hey man. That's rude. And from what I see, I think he isn't just curious, he doesn't agree with what they do. There is a thing called "Freedom", you know?

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

oop!

girl needs carbs, ASAP!

last edited at Jul 28, 2021 6:08AM

0003_proc
joined Jul 21, 2019

EDIT: fixed

last edited at Aug 4, 2021 11:17AM

Img_1857
joined Apr 4, 2021

I really don’t like criticizing other people’s works... I think I must do it here though. I feel like the artist said “ok what if you had a physically masculine MC with a traditionally ‘feminine’ personality and a physically feminine partner with an assertive/traditionally ‘masculine’ personality to help MC accept their true self” and then bam out came this story. Although the art is amazing, MC and Toribama-san feel like exaggerated versions of themselves (MC so overly girly, Toribama-san so overly assertive/guyish) that it makes MC seem super closed-minded and Toribama-san kinda bitchy. Overblown characters are okay if it’s for comedy, but here the mangaka is trying to be serious. I also find much of the inner monologue a bit overly poetic. Additionally, as others have mentioned, the “I didn't think it was okay to do X until she came along and told me it was okay to do X” is a rather cliche plot at this point and honestly, it feels really boring and unoriginal to read. I’ve only read the first five chapters, but I’m really trying hard not to drop it, which I don’t really want to do since I feel like I’m kinda running out of new yuri series to read and I feel like there is so much potential in the series if the characters were made right. Hopefully things improve a bit as the series continues. :)

last edited at Aug 11, 2021 12:05PM

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

Nice at least they got to dance. Beautiful.

C1147d3190ae4c0815cc862bce35952975d3857e072e7b6bef6e34b56d95dd83
joined Nov 12, 2017

YES GOOD TALK ABT UR FUKKIN FEELINGS SHION

Nyaa
joined Aug 18, 2021

Bitchboi: "Tell Haruma I said I'm sorry (...)"
Toribami: (blunt) "I won't"

Queen.

I feel like the artist said “ok what if you had a physically masculine MC with a traditionally ‘feminine’ personality and a physically feminine partner with an assertive/traditionally ‘masculine’ personality to help MC accept their true self” and then bam out came this story. Although the art is amazing, MC and Toribama-san feel like exaggerated versions of themselves (MC so overly girly, Toribama-san so overly assertive/guyish) that it makes MC seem super closed-minded and Toribama-san kinda bitchy.

In what world is Haruma "physically masculine"?? Just because she's tall?? She looks as girly as they come (and not just now with the dress)! And I also completely disagree with saying Toribami is "acting masculine", just because she's assertive (sometimes, she's not even always like that).

If you wanna criticize their characterizations for not being super original cause Toribami is the stereotypical "small-but-feisty girl" and Haruma is the stereotypical "shy tall girl", sure, I can see that (not that I mind, they're not overly done tropes IMO and especially not overly done well). But masculine? That's crazy.

last edited at Sep 2, 2021 12:25PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.