Forum › 1 x ½ discussion

joined Feb 14, 2019

The fact that some people are trying to excuse this is disgusting tbh.

Look, I don't have a problem with the portrayal of immortality and criminality in fictional medium. To do so would be absurdly hypocritical.

That said.. that said. This is not a happy story or a good ending. Let's not get it twisted guys. A happy ending would be both the MC's guardians struck off their medical licenses, a conviction for child abuse and handed a sexual offender registry because that's what this is yo. It's 2020 not medieval times, they know right from wrong just like we do and they have the same responsibilities.
We can enjoy this show as it is but to try and pretend like what went down was even remotely morally or legally excusable is just insane..

Anyway, still thoroughly enjoyed, despite what looked like a "this is all okay" message at the end. 7/10.

In addition to the "wrong, but ok in fiction camp" who have already spoken up, I'll point out there are those of us who, like Akira, think the specific situation as described would actually be ethically "ok" irl (that said a real situation that well justified is extremely unlikely).

Since this has been discussed at length earlier in the comments (and more recently the in-story reasoning from Akira), I'll try to be brief (... and after writing it, so much for that hope).

First up law/morality/ethics are all different things; legal/illegal isn't good/bad, even if that is the aspiration it can never perfectly align. I'm not going to be talking generalities here, obviously parent-child incest isn't a good idea in general (in the sense of not intrinsic/universal good), but that is not the same thing always being unequivocally bad.

There are various ethical frameworks used to reason about right/wrong, one that seems relevant here is consequentialism - judging the"rightness" of an action by consideration of its consequences.

"they love each other, what is the harm?" it is a deceptively simple, but powerful argument.

The crux of it is risk vs harm. Sure there are myriad potential negative risks associated with power imbalance, age gap and overlapping family-romantic bonds, but none of them are guaranteed to materialize as harms. They care deeply about each other, and Asuka is actively trying to get better at considering Ayako's perspective - probably the only negative outcomes they couldn't work out together is what other people might do to them if they find out... which by modern sensibilities is a lousy thing to base your romantic aspirations on.

Much of the uniqueness of this story is in the situation that has been carefully crafted to set up a situation where the "normal" incest negatives are absent or mitigated, to create the potential for a "good" mother daughter romance.
* Asuka initiated things, and has been the one pushing the boundaries (ie not pressured/groomed)
* Asuka has a clear understanding of her feelings, having struggled with them for years. (ie not confused/displaced feelings)
* Asuka has never wanted for affection. (ie not substituting romance for missing maternal affection)
* They are the centre of each other's life by choice, not for want of other opportunities. (not desperation/loneliness)
* Ayako has been trying to do the right thing. Her primary motivation is what is best for Asuka. She has been wracked by guilt - Akira got though to her by emphasizing Asuka's feelings. (not selfish).

Without all that context it would just be a titillating story about mother and daughter making out, but with it it becomes something much more interesting making a hugely taboo relationship relatable and maybe even ethically justifiable.

If Ayako had just jumped on Asuka and seduced her when she found her asleep on her bed at 14, it would have been a very different story.

btw as regards legality - since they have only kissed so far it would actually be very tough to prosecute. Up until the tongue kiss only their knowledge of the feelings behind it put it definitely outside the limits of acceptable mother-daughter behavior (how much kissy is too much kissy?), and even the tongue kiss would be more eyebrow raising than definitely illegal (sex crimes are usually defined around genital contact, and ordinary assault would require Asuka to be unhappy with the situation. Some jurisdictions have corrupting a minor/grooming offenses, but it would be extremely unusual to use them for a "victim" that old, Asuka is over 16, well outside the intended purpose of those laws).

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

"They love each other, what is the harm?"

This has been my mantra for years now. I love how careful this story is to not depict anything that could be considered abuse on the part of Ayako. Anybody decrying this story either hasn't read it, or is in total denial over its actual contents.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

We can enjoy this show as it is but to try and pretend like what went down was even remotely morally or legally excusable is just insane..

Anyway, still thoroughly enjoyed, despite what looked like a "this is all okay" message at the end. 7/10.

In addition to the "wrong, but ok in fiction camp" who have already spoken up, I'll point out there are those of us who, like Akira, think the specific situation as described would actually be ethically "ok" irl (that said a real situation that well justified is extremely unlikely).

I’ve snipped most of this really excellent post for space, but it does the best job possible in explaining why this particular series has earned a positive response as an interesting set of characters in a compelling situation rather than as just a titillating spectacle of taboo-breaking.

I still think the “it’s fiction” is a stronger counteragument against the “can’t you depraved fools see this is WRONG?!?” position than the “this situation is as OK as it gets” argument, because even though you’ve shown that the latter is true, even under the best circumstances any incestuous relationship obviously is still inherently immensely fraught.

At minimum, it seems inevitable that in the long run a relationship combining the parental and erotic roles in the same person is going to be confusing at best for both parties (as for instance, it might be far less so with sibling incest), and the social consequences of the relationship being revealed (the list of people who already know about their feelings continues to increase) would be catastrophic. (Like everyone else, of course, I eagerly await the consummation of the Asuka/Ayako relationship nonetheless.)

So for me, the strongest analogy is to say that most rational people would agree that in real life the world would be better off if there were no such thing as assassins-for-hire, but that has nothing at all to do with the ethics of getting absorbed in the adventures of John Wick or Ogami Itto, and that enjoying the Fast & Furious movies does not constitute an endorsement of car theft, and that only a fool would think otherwise.

last edited at Sep 6, 2020 9:27AM

joined Feb 14, 2019

I’ve snipped most of this really excellent post for space, but it does the best job possible in explaining why this particular series has earned a positive response as an interesting set of characters in a compelling situation rather than as just a titillating spectacle of taboo-breaking.

I still think the “it’s fiction” is a stronger counteragument against the “can’t you depraved fools see this is WRONG?!?” position than the “this situation is as OK as it gets” argument, because even though you’ve shown that the latter is true, even under the best circumstances any incestuous relationship obviously is still inherently immensely fraught.
So for me, the strongest analogy is to say that most rational people would agree that in real life the world would be better off if there were no such thing as assassins-for-hire, but that has nothing at all to do with the ethics of getting absorbed in the adventures of John Wick or Ogami Itto, and that enjoying the Fast & Furious movies does not constitute an endorsement of car theft, and that only a fool would think otherwise.

Yes, "it's fiction" is a good argument, and much more broadly applicable (& definitely, reading/enjoying, or even writing, isn't endorsement of character actions). I wasn't trying to dismiss it. It is definitely the go-to when people complain "why does this even exist?"/"how can you read/like this?", and of course some of the most interesting stories are where characters do the wrong thing for understandable/relatable reasons.

It was more that since the OP mentioned morality and "good endings" I thought I would raise the flag for the camp that do support it in that context. (I suppose it depends a bit on what the "this" is in "trying to excuse this" - the story or the actions in it).

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It was more that since the OP mentioned morality and "good endings" I thought I would raise the flag for the camp that do support it in that context. (I suppose it depends a bit on what the "this" is in "trying to excuse this" - the story or the actions in it).

Your post clarified for me something specific about why this series appeals to a broader audience than the "incest is always wincest" niche, so thanks for that. I've always been fascinated by the question of how Taiyaki is going to resolve this story in terms of the wider social world--at this point my wild guess is that somehow Akira ends up running interference for the happy familial couple.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

I've always been fascinated by the question of how Taiyaki is going to resolve this story in terms of the wider social world--at this point my wild guess is that somehow Akira ends up running interference for the happy familial couple.

I've thought up various scenarios for how this could be resolved, but none of them are exactly a "good end." This could end very well, not really satisfyingly, or completely awfully, and my own storytelling ability is only able to come up with the latter two. Taiyaki hasn't disappointed so far, though, so I'm hopeful.

joined Feb 14, 2019

Your post clarified for me something specific about why this series appeals to a broader audience than the "incest is always wincest" niche, so thanks for that.

I have to admit I didn't fully realise that point myself, since I was coming from a very conscious analytical perspective when I was writing it, and most people don't "enjoy" stories that way. But all the things I listed do seem likely to be absorbed by readers on a subconscious level which would work well to take the "eeeww factor" out of the mother-daughter romance. Personally the first thing that hooked me was that I found Asuka really relatable, (incestuous obsessions aside) I was a lot like that as a teenager (also Tiayaki's sense of humour).

The theme of "wholesome" incest makes me think of the Elsanna fandom which is where I first encountered it.

I've always been fascinated by the question of how Taiyaki is going to resolve this story in terms of the wider social world--at this point my wild guess is that somehow Akira ends up running interference for the happy familial couple.

Definitely lots of potential there. Akira does seem to be shaping up as a staunch supporter. It would be a stretch to have them openly together "happily ever after", but hopefully Taikai comes up with some sort of way for them to be together. Lots of potential for comedy and drama (eg being proud gfs to some, mother and daughter to others, and juggling the different social spheres).

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

wow

joined Oct 14, 2020

need update ples:((( i've been waiting for 7 monthsssssss

4d963a6a-ba0b-48a4-990b-5dbce1890750
joined Sep 27, 2020

Man some people need to chill out and stop tweeting at Taiyaki under her other work asking about 1 1/2 updates. It comes off as rude and she has already mentioned a few times that it’s in progress. You can tell she’s getting annoyed- https://twitter.com/tiyk66/status/1317459170421993473?s=21

joined Oct 14, 2020

Man some people need to chill out and stop tweeting at Taiyaki under her other work asking about 1 1/2 updates. It comes off as rude and she has already mentioned a few times that it’s in progress. You can tell she’s getting annoyed- https://twitter.com/tiyk66/status/1317459170421993473?s=21

seems like taiyaki-senpai got pissed off.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Let her take her time, dammit.

joined May 24, 2014

Pixivy update

This is halloween!!

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

This is halloween!!

Great, now the 8-bit version of that song is now stuck playing in my head, which in turn causes me to remember Rat of Mapping's Alternate Future of Dark Europe.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

This Halloween, Asuka has dressed up as Norman Bates.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Was Asuka always this childish?

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

MOM WINS THIS ROUND.

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

dats cute~

Beloved%2021
joined Oct 10, 2020

Seems I caught up at the worst possible time lol, that cliffhanger, well maybe not worst. I did miss that long gap between then and this halloween issue. This turned out to be a series with more substance than I ever anticipated.

last edited at Nov 3, 2020 3:02AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Yep. A delicious chapter.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

People really do need to lay off, but it is important that she tells us that she is actually working on the rework. I don't know how she doesn't burn out about it. I would just want to make new story and not go back and rewrite it. I'm glad she's actually working on it, so I'll be patient.

Dynasty_shii4
joined Jun 18, 2013

What happened to the Sekai Project release of this...? Looks like they erased it from history.

joined Mar 6, 2016

I don’t know if she is going to release the redraw/touch up of 1x1/2 before or after the my sweet home anthology?

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

I don’t know if she is going to release the redraw/touch up of 1x1/2 before or after the my sweet home anthology?

Not much I can say officially, but the anthology will likely come first.

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

I was missing the series enough on hiatus and thought I might have come up with a setting that avoided excessive plot speculation, so I wrote a one-shot about Akira at her UK pharma job before she shows up in Vol 3 for New Years. I don't know if it's any good (I haven't done fanfiction in a really long time), but it was fun practice!

Since I know someone asked in the thread earlier about Taiyaki's stance on this stuff: I knew she's friendly to fan works in general, so I double-checked with her to make sure English works were okay. She said she'd be happy to see them no matter the language, and mentioned that any pairings (even het ones, apparently?) and adult content are also OK.

Also, she's graduated from her manga course and now has help with figuring out English translations, so she said she'll be focusing on the 1 x 1/2 reedit this year even if she goes blind and her arm falls off in the process.

last edited at Jan 1, 2021 9:42PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.