Forum › 1 x ½ discussion

joined Jan 14, 2020

"the fact that they have historically had an extremely low sex crime rate per capita than most developed nations"

Well, maybe. Particularly for sex crimes, low rates may reflect low rates of reporting. If reporting a rape means you get publicly humiliated and the rapist probably gets off, you're likely to not report the rape.

Also Japan is infamous for groping on subway trains, to the point that they have special women-only train cars during peak hours.

The US has crime victimization surveys ("Asking as a harmless researcher, have you ever experienced X?") which acts as a cross-check on police reports.

joined Jul 26, 2016

'Round here both the police and assorted support organisations officially estimate they only ever hear of a fraction of sex-crime cases, and we're talking about a country that consistently rates among the best in the world in both gender-equality issues and popular trust in the authorities.

Tolerably sure Japan sorta kinda really fails at least one of the latter, to speak nothing of all the fun and games characteristic of "shame cultures" where keeping up appearances tends to be paramount and things are majorly prone to getting swept under rugs to avoid looking bad.

Given all the issues with differences reporting, definitions, societal and official attitudes etc. about the only crime statistics that can be internationally compared even vaguely reliably are outright homicides as even the shitty excuses of cops in chronically mismanaged third-world shitholes tend to at least record those somewhat consistently.

last edited at Aug 24, 2020 4:13AM

joined Jan 14, 2020

"It's hard to hide bodies", and even if you do that leaves a disappearance.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Also Japan is infamous for groping on subway trains, to the point that they have special women-only train cars during peak hours.

Yeah, but to be fair, groping and sexual harassment in public transportation is a common thing in the West too, it just goes unreported ... so one might say that's the (assumed) inverse to reported other sex crimes here.

Anyway, I don't think sexual violence should have anything to do with "is incest fiction fine" debates; clearly these are separate issues.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Yeah, but to be fair, groping and sexual harassment in public transportation is a common thing in the West too, it just goes unreported ... so one might say that's the (assumed) inverse to reported other sex crimes here.

AFAIK it's not epidemic to a degree that would require A) women-only cars B) guarded women-only cars as a placeholder remedy while societal attitudes shift in their usual glacial pace. Certainly the whole idea would strike pretty much anyone from 'round my neck of the woods as surreal and alien - here the "geography of fear" (to directly translate the title of a study on the subject) according to which women consciously or not plan their movements to minimise risk avoids isolation and favors crowds due to the strong deterrence effect of bystanders.

It really says something that dynamic apparently doesn't work in Asian public transport (I've read some pretty shocking accounts from India and p sure it's no small issue in mainland Far East either) - that is to say, women cannot reliably count on even the social and psychological pressure exerted by a disapproving audience there.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

AFAIK it's not epidemic to a degree that would require A) women-only cars B) guarded women-only cars as a placeholder remedy while societal attitudes shift in their usual glacial pace.

I'm not sure. Here (Germany), they already keep working at this issue - so far it's mostly cameras, better lightning, schooling of personell, re-doing access points, women-only parking close to exits, and so on. Stuff you don't 'really' notice. Japan chose women-only cars (usually only during rush hour) and an awareness campaign to combat this.

But I've seen studies that make claims like 60% of women being harassed in public transport. I've seen similar figures for Japan. But it's something they focused on, so it gets reported, and is in the news, and it's (sort of) visible with the women-only cars. But looking at actually persecuted cases:
"the number of reported indecent assault in subway carriages in Japan between 2005 and 2014 ranges from 283 to 497 cases each year"
... that's nothing. That's not even 0.0001% of passengers every year (Tokyo alone has 3.3 billion passengers per year in their subways...). And I suspect that's again similar to the West.

But, anyway, this is all off topic; sorry about that ^^;

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Tfw guest artwork looks way better

No, it just looks like a totally different art style. I much prefer Taiyaki’s art on her own story to that stuff. It’s fine, but it’s not this story.

last edited at Aug 24, 2020 7:28AM

Imageedit_11_5472942776
joined Apr 30, 2018

i still read this even though i don't know where this is headed especially with their very complicated relationship

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Ah, that sparkly Yes. :D

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Reading this chapter made me think that we really don’t need to worry about this series, either where the story is going or what the art and storytelling might ultimately look like.

It won’t get here fast enough, but then it never did.

last edited at Aug 29, 2020 2:55PM

20221108_061301
joined May 20, 2020

Apparently, The Room does not support 3P's. A part of me is disappointed in The Room for being so traditional.

Z7geahm
joined Sep 7, 2016

I like the art

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

as a berserk and hunter x hunter fan im not even fazed by this

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

YES.

joined Sep 4, 2020

The fact that some people are trying to excuse this is disgusting tbh.

Look, I don't have a problem with the portrayal of immortality and criminality in fictional medium. To do so would be absurdly hypocritical.

That said.. that said. This is not a happy story or a good ending. Let's not get it twisted guys. A happy ending would be both the MC's guardians struck off their medical licenses, a conviction for child abuse and handed a sexual offender registry because that's what this is yo. It's 2020 not medieval times, they know right from wrong just like we do and they have the same responsibilities.
We can enjoy this show as it is but to try and pretend like what went down was even remotely morally or legally excusable is just insane..

Anyway, still thoroughly enjoyed, despite what looked like a "this is all okay" message at the end. 7/10.

last edited at Sep 4, 2020 5:35AM

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

Look, I don't have a problem with the portrayal of immortality and criminality in fictional medium. To do so would be absurdly hypocritical.

That said.. that said. This is not a happy story or a good ending. Let's not get it twisted guys. A happy ending would be both the MC's guardians struck off their medical licenses, a conviction for child abuse and handed a sexual offender registry because that's what this is yo. It's 2020 not medieval times, they know right from wrong just like we do and they have the same responsibilities.
We can enjoy this show as it is but to try and pretend like what went down was even remotely morally or legally excusable is just insane..

Anyway, still thoroughly enjoyed, despite what looked like a "this is all okay" message at the end. 7/10.

You're disgusted yet you enjoyed it. Despite the tags, you read it. Hypocrite.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

@T0D13

It's not even over yet, lmao. The author just decided to do a re-do before continuing the story further.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Good thing we both seem to agree that nobody but a fucking moron would think that because a fictional story presents a certain behavior as a positive thing, that makes the same behavior excusable or morally acceptable in real life.

Because otherwise that would mean we were unaware of the difference between real life and fiction, where all sorts of behavior, ranging from bopping children on the head to stealing cars and racing dangerously around in them to setting people on fire with flamethrowers (all of which in real life are Not OK, to be sure), is depicted as being desirable, morally acceptable, and even hilarious in the context of the fiction.

All of that being a set of facts so obvious that it’s a bit of a puzzle why anybody except a fucking moron—which we agree neither of us are—would feel the need to bring it up.

joined Jul 26, 2016

It's 2020 not medieval times, they know right from wrong just like we do and they have the same responsibilities.

The amateur historian in me takes issue with this sentence on multiple levels. ( ͡ಠ ʖ̯ ͡ಠ)

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It's 2020 not medieval times, they know right from wrong just like we do and they have the same responsibilities.

The amateur historian in me takes issue with this sentence on multiple levels. ( ͡ಠ ʖ̯ ͡ಠ)

Given that the discussion about the apparent contradiction of how stories give audiences pleasure by depicting behavior that people would find repugnant in real life is literally the oldest recorded discussion about stories in history (see: Plato; Aristotle), I can only concur.

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

@T0D13

It's not even over yet, lmao. The author just decided to do a re-do before continuing the story further.

Does that mean that we have to experience that Senpai flashback hell again? shudders

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

WALL OF ABSURDITY

LOLOL

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

I don't think Akira even has a medical license, she's just a pharma HR manager/exec with a penchant for suddenly embracing pharmacy staff who want to call her onee-sama. Which is a very inappropriate thing to do to people in real life (who aren't me), by the way. Strange how that works!

@T0D13

Does that mean that we have to experience that Senpai flashback hell again? shudders

I don't hate the Miyuki arc, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of the more radical changes she makes to the story when she said she's focusing more on Asuka/Ayako for the re-edit. It's still important to the plot and Taiyaki loves her siscon characters, but it's weird to read the earlier volumes and not have it brought up much, aside from leading Ayako to think Asuka had a history with Jun.

last edited at Sep 4, 2020 5:20PM

joined Feb 14, 2019

I don't hate the Miyuki arc, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of the more radical changes she makes to the story when she said she's focusing more on Asuka/Ayako for the re-edit. It's still important to the plot and Taiyaki loves her siscon characters, but it's weird to read the earlier volumes and not have it brought up much, aside from leading Ayako to think Asuka had a history with Jun.

Viewed like that seems like there would be a chance we would see more, or at least more refs to it in the early parts.

I agree it is important to the story - it establishes Asuka's discovery of her feelings as well as her experience/maturity (she knows what she wants and what she doesn't and she went far enough that she when talks of going "all the way" with her mom she definitely knows what that means in a concrete way - it isn't just some vague class-S fantasy about getting closer). The way she responds to Miyuki's advances also gives quite a lot of insight into her personality.

Part of the value of the arc is establishing Asuka's ability to have a "life" independently of her mother (she just doesn't like to), I'm not sure it would be possible to do that without temporarily shifting focus off Ayako/Asuka.

It will be interesting to see how Taiyaki handles it.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

I hope Taiyaki adds something, a small word frame or some other common device, to remind readers at the beginning of a chapter that it's a flashback. I can understand not using the black borders, since there's flashbacks within the flashbacks, but I had no clue what was going on when I got to chapter 12 because there was no "X years ago" or anything to denote a change in time period.

To reply you must either login or sign up.