Forum › Posts by lilyflame

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

^^^ really excellent post -- I really wanted to say something at the time, and you said it far better than I would. The not-like-the-other-girls stuff about proshippers aside, when I see people still trying to police away any detectable trace of female desire from the genre it always gives me flashbacks to yuri authors' collabs/anthology afterwords/tweets freely yumejo-ing out about their peers' insanely hot characters. Personally I've sat through far too many pop culture hetero romances to have time for engaging with something more reletable through a biosafety glove box, or locking myself in an unending series of respectability mind prisons -- at that point, I'd rather just read Twilight, since it seems like they're having fun!

last edited at Apr 10, 2024 8:10PM

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

The word used is "Ikemen" which technically applies to men only (the woman equivalent would be Ikeonna). Since it echoes her line in the first page, I kept it as is.

iirc I've heard some Japanese sources advocate for it being inherently (vs colloquially) gender-neutral based on the idea it's 面 rather than メンズ or something, but that seems to be splitting hairs since it's obvious in context and the "handsome" implication seems to be baked in either way. I do run into/like イケ女 (as イケジョ) occasionally and which apparently predates イケメン but it seems less common.

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

A notice for the interested:

LipTrip ~My Boss Is My Heat Suppressant?!~ The new Omegaverse yuri VN by dev team SukeraSomero of OshiRabu fame, with character art by Chigusa Minori (Convenient Semi-friend, Shino and Ren) come out this week on the 22nd!

thanks for posting, this looks a+++

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Felt like this was super familiar and realized i read it on twitter a while back, happy to see it translated because it's really cute!

I dont know if the dynamic of older woman trying to resist tentation and behave accordingly, and younger one been the persistent and pushing force to getting in a romantic relationship was already made into a series, and even uploaded here, but I really would like one like that, the potencial for something deep and romantic, or just comedy and light drama/slice of life could also be great material with that kind of dynamic.

In my experience this is the most common Age gap dynamic (at the extremes, you find the older woman as a flailing 'no, we can't!' doormat and the younger one as a terrifying sadist, like in Lilies are in Full Bloom). The exceptions often go for "the older woman is a trainwreck" (ala Touko-san). I found the romance in JK-chan pretty mid (imo its timidity really kills the tension, especially compared to the initial illustrations by the author), but the gags are good and it's complete. A couple others that execute this well are Kusanagi-sensei and 1x1/2. Kusanagi-sensei is also here but quite a few chapters behind.

last edited at Dec 29, 2023 12:38AM

lilyflame
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

I've never used that site (it does look pretty overwhelming!) and don't have any recs, but here's a search for the yuri tag if it helps. You can usually get the original title of a translated work from Mangaupdates: it's usually listed under the "Associated Names" section (along with any alternative translated titles). I usually just google the scanlators' title + mangaupdates out of laziness. You can grab the author name from MU too, or from Pixiv/Twitter links on the artist page here. I was able to pick a random work on Alice Books & paste the circle name into the search to pull it back up again, so searching the circle/author name should work as long as it's the right one.

If the works are available elsewhere, Amazon Japan is very simple to search and purchase in English, as is Booth. In my experience, most others (like Melonbooks), while having a wider selection of doujin works than Amazon, are about on par with Alice Books - small parts of the site are translated, but searching and ordering are tricky without Japanese knowledge.

last edited at Dec 22, 2023 12:16AM

lilyflame
1 x ½ discussion 24 Sep 05:55
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

So long Taiyuki
Thanks for all the incest

I'm guessing that means she's quit writing new stuff?

I assumed that was just a joke about the manga being pulled from here. Taiyaki's still doing stuff on Fanbox, though maybe not at her pre-hiatus pace. She's been mailing out signed mini-shikishi drawn with Copics (she sent me a very pretty wedding-Akira), doing the usual short illustrations/blog posts, started on the third volume of Yuru Oyako, and for the 1x1/2 remake just released the second half of Ch7.

last edited at Sep 24, 2023 6:00AM

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

of all the manga i've read, this was the most ... normal

fwiw the author consistently referred to this series on Twitter as something like a hobby/fun side project. it seems they drew a short or something (can't see it but inferring from the title) on their fanbox in 2022, but nothing related to the series since.

last edited at Aug 13, 2023 10:06PM

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Yeah, the mangaka's still saying (as of Mar/Apr) they intend to pick it up sometime & I try not to give up hope (1x1/2 just came off the second of two years-long hiatuses + the circumstances there cautioned me against assuming e.g. that an author just got distracted with another series) but it's been a long time. I loved this one, bought the Vol1 tank, etc so I'm super sad about it.

lilyflame
Taiyaki discussion 04 Mar 01:28
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Yuru Oyako Vol1 & the full version of My Sweet Home have hit (non-Japanese) Amazon, which is ... not really something I thought would ever happen. Reiwa is amazing. Probably no 1x1/2 anytime soon, as I don't think the remake's Vol1 has seen a full volume release in English yet.

last edited at Mar 4, 2023 1:30AM

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Yep, it's a popular female otaku thing in a genre often aimed at and drawn by female otaku, and I think helps make characters relatable (similarly to how Oshibudo might be for idol fans) while also allowing mangaka to write what they know (as in Kami Eshi JK) when they want to bring characters together over a shared interest.

The dominance of the term "yaoi" aside, with anime/manga being a subset of Western M/M shippers (from Kirk/Spock to MCU/Supernatural/etc), and with M/M shipping being seen as quite niche itself, it may be easier to draw a brighter line between manga readers and the BL fandom in the West than in Japan, where a lot of yuri fans and authors at the very least have had some exposure to BL and the romance genre more broadly.

last edited at Jan 17, 2023 4:14PM

lilyflame
Fanfictions 11 Dec 01:59
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Above list has been updated with a few additions -- most were newly created (I had a feeling KitaKimi would show up eventually), but I think I'm probably missing a few older series as well.

lilyflame
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

I think if I were looking for it, I'd expect something like Transit or Transportation as a generic tag, but especially the latter feels like it might include something like this which might be kind of out-of-scope? This probably qualifies either way, Whatever it ends up being called, I'd enjoy just seeing how many "falling asleep on someone on the train" oneshots are out there.

lilyflame
1 x ½ discussion 13 Nov 12:33
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

also, I'm sad that YH stopped making chapters free to read when the next one gets released. unfortunate

Whoa, I had assumed you were talking about the free chapters still being stalled out at Ch3. but everything between Ch1 and the beginning of Vol2 is gone even for subscribers. Hopefully that's a sign Vol1 will be released in English soon, but I feel like a paid service shouldn't require quite this much guesswork.

edit: never mind about the subscriber bit -- they're still up behind the paywall, just tagged confusingly and the index links are gone

last edited at Nov 13, 2022 8:13PM

lilyflame
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Isn't this artist's pen name a joke of some kind? I seem to recall another manga explaining this as a yojijukugo with a double meaning...

Might be thinking of this?

edit: tl;dr as far as I know is 弱肉強食 is "survival of the fittest" and the idea that if asked to fill in ○肉○食 (e.g. for an exam or trivia or something), a certain type of person would snap to 焼肉定食, and this is extra funny because of the gulf in formality between it and the more classical vibe of yojijukugo

last edited at Nov 12, 2022 12:55AM

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

seems kind of pointless to build up the tension of "oh no, I fell in love with my niece, what should I do, how does she feel about me, is there something wrong with me, is our relationship going to survive or fail and it'll be my fault"

... where did this happen, exactly?

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

tima walked so taiyaki could run, yuru oyako is the spiritual successor for modern sensibilities

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

I actually just checked the other day because I remembered posting the tweet about it supposedly resuming last year. From what I could find, the last tweet from the author about the series was in May of this year - they explicitly mentioned they intended to continue the series but they were still trying to get it back on schedule. The last update was Ch7.3 in late Feb 2021.

lilyflame
Fanfictions 19 Jul 15:11
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

I write 1x1/2 stuff on AO3 and often come across other yuri series that I recognize from Dynasty but didn't know had fanworks. After the billionth time this happened ("Snake Woman And Little Miss Offering is on here?" was what finally got me, I think), I figured I'd do what any normal person would do and scan through the entire 2k+ Anime/Manga fandoms list, writing down anything that looked familiar. I thought it was worth posting the list in case it helps anyone else discover something interesting, and somehow remembered this ancient thread existed.

The intent was to try to catch the "wait, somebody did that?" manga micro-fandoms rather than huge anime-adapted series you'd naturally assume had something, while avoiding getting bogged down in Subtext. So the criteria were 1. having a Dynasty series (not doujin) page (most of these) or 2. being an explicitly yuri original work listed in the Anime/Manga category with under 50 fanworks (the few rare exceptions to #1). Please let me know if I've missed anything fitting one of those.

Disclaimer for the unaware: people write massive crossovers on AO3 and never ever use the "Background & Cameo Characters" tag, so some of these may exist solely from a single character mention. I haven't vetted or discluded any for content, either. If the sole work for the manga you love has a tag list two screens high and a plot where your favorite character is a werewolf barista married to all the members of BTS, sorry, that's just AO3.

last edited at Dec 11, 2022 1:53AM

lilyflame
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Without even searching for it, I've come across four instances of characters being locked in a room until they kiss/have sex. Does anyone else know if there are more examples because there seems to be potential for a new tag. I don't know what it would be called, though.

~しないと出られない部屋 is a pretty common trope, especially for oneshots/bonuses, and I thought about suggesting an Escape Room tag before but couldn't dig up enough examples. Here's another - I think in this case the title stems from the translators being unfamiliar with the concept & breaking the sentence at the と conditional rather than realizing it's all a relative clause describing the yuri in the same way it usually describes the room (which is omitted since the reader is assumed to be aware of the scenario), so it's more like "Can't Escape Without Having Sex" Yuri.

edit: And another, which I'm surprised I forgot about.

last edited at Jun 13, 2022 5:58PM

lilyflame
1 x ½ discussion 08 Apr 21:17
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

This manga has been really important to me for like a year now and I spent it reading and re-reading it without having anyone to talk about it, so reading all 128 pages of discussion spanning 5 years was a real treat sjbshsbshahs

I got into it a little earlier when things were still active here but yeah I know the feeling lmao, I really miss the discussions here. Agree on the TL - at least in the new EN Ch1-3 (still need to get around to finishing JP Ch4+) the tone feels a little constructed/more uneven, even when a lot of dialogue remains the same? I'm used to and likely biased towards the old version, but I kinda feel like I need to be reading both concurrently instead of just chilling out with the English release.

Anyway, Vol1 thoughts now that it's technically done. I was going to wait until all the English chapters were unpaywalled too, but it seems even Ch4 has been on Pixiv Comics for free since Dec, so no idea when that will happen.

• Unless I missed it, Asuka's clarification that she wants to "go all the way" seems to be gone, which is kind of a shame? I thought that admission was not only a welcome change from the standard manga confession but illustrative of how awkward the discussion might need to get to unambiguously communicate what's actually going on.
  • Ayako's reaction to the confession still lands perfectly, and I think this dynamic - that Ayako might not understand how Asuka feels, but would never want her to suffer in silence - is the key to making everything that comes after feel credible. It's only because Ayako is a good mother that her gut reaction is regret for how difficult things had gotten for Asuka, rather than to leap to defensiveness or judgment, and so the scene actually cements their existing relationship at the exact moment it might otherwise seem least believable.

The oneshots that worked best in the anthology (like Torii Sumi, Inui Ayu, or Misaki Tenmu's) found their own ways to make their characters' relationship plausible (usually centering on abandonment), but I really only see these small, elegant insights about motherhood used to full effect by Taiyaki. No plot contrivances or character twists are really necessary, and the characterization feels pretty grounded as a result.

• Ayako's power of attraction remaining essentially supernatural in the new version surprised me. This was probably the element I disliked the most in the original: it seemed like an atypically cautious justification for Asuka's feelings that felt increasingly superfluous as we saw more of Ayako's internal narrative. That this element remains intact probably bodes well for the Mom Radar gag, though, which I love (and even ties in with Asuka's arc in vol 9)

• The young Ayako stuff is great, and seems to be hinting at more about how she dealt with being a target of attention throughout her life and how she changed in return. That's something only briefly touched on in the original, and would do a lot to justify Ayako's "preternaturally attractive" thing. I did always liked the idea of Ayako finally coming to terms with this part of her life only for it to appear again from an unexpected direction, even if I didn't enjoy the way it framed Asuka's feelings as artificial.

• The pace accelerating enough that Akira shows up at the end of this volume makes sense, I think, and her TL feels slightly looser which I think fits her a bit better. Also, Taiyaki's note about how she completely forgot to put her in appropriate winter clothing the first time around was pretty funny. I hope we see more Akira, even if she does need to leave pretty quickly if the plot swerve with her remains intact. I remember Taiyaki RTing someone's warning about how Akira's not your typical "ex from the past", so I suspect things will play out similarly.

• hopelessly praying something spicy like the original Vol 1 extra makes its way into the final volume release

last edited at Apr 8, 2022 9:46PM

lilyflame
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

I don't use Gmail and haven't received a new notification since Kami eshi JK to OL fujoshi ch24 on 3/3. I don't think any of my subscribed series have updated since then, but I'm tag-subscribed to Incest and don't have Het blacklisted, so would have expected an email for the strangely controversial I Favor The Villainess Ch18 uploaded 3/7.

lilyflame
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Nice to see this translated, Lusamine is so pretty!!! (also I feel like there should be an Escape Room tag as it's really common and always fun)

lilyflame
1 x ½ discussion 03 Feb 15:25
Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Since when do you need to get an author's permission to post a fanfic? If people had to do that, they wouldn't exist.

You don't, obviously, but in a super tiny fandom where a language gap exists and with the content not being immediately apparent like fanart, I thought it'd be courteous to discuss it before publishing. There had also been one or two discussions about fanfiction in this thread before, so I figured it'd be best to clear that up (whoever mentioned that they wrote that R18 Ayako/Asuka thing, please feel free to post it!!!).

And I'm also concerned about the delay since the YH page is now technically two updates behind.

last edited at Feb 3, 2022 4:26PM

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

so this has more chapters that got an official translation and are up on DLsite, theres a big sale going on right now with them 50% off each, and a coupon of 30% off on top of that if you buy the translated version.

For anyone curious, since I found it super hard to find on DLsite (only found it by the Japanese title), I think this is the complete set. Also, I laughed way too much at Genre: Breasts on the latter two.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

last edited at Feb 2, 2022 8:51PM

Avtest
joined Jan 13, 2020

Anything Hachiko is good, even when they're not sisters