Forum › GGWP. ~Young Ladies Don't Play Fighting Games~ discussion

Fb_img_1593709389462
joined Jun 23, 2020

10/10 got to follow.
This kinds of comedy are my cup

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

Come to think of it: there's a Nintendo tag, countless tags for individual games, but no general tag for Video games.

last edited at Jun 29, 2020 6:59AM

Nihongo Wakarahen
joined Mar 14, 2013

The game mechanic "explanations" seem a bit wonky. Puts on glasses, and voice gets nasally I've never seen a game let someone use a parry to cancel an attack, during a combo/hit confirm.

Like, I don't know about comboing off a parry, but can't you cancel into a parry mid-move, in some games or do you have to be in idle/neutral? I only really know parrying from like Bayonetta or Metal Gear Revengeance which obvs aren't fighting games (I can never pull them off in an actual fighting game)...

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Hah! REAL gamers play divekick exclusively.

Anyway, this has potential.

Like, I don't know about comboing off a parry, but can't you cancel into a parry mid-move, in some games or do you have to be in idle/neutral? I only really know parrying from like Bayonetta or Metal Gear Revengeance which obvs aren't fighting games (I can never pull them off in an actual fighting game)...

Maybe author is not too familiar with the mechanic.
I know some games let you cancel mid combo at the cost of some bar. I haven't played any fighting game in like 3 years so I can't give a proper example rn.

joined Aug 21, 2017

Juri cameo when

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

The game mechanic "explanations" seem a bit wonky. Puts on glasses, and voice gets nasally I've never seen a game let someone use a parry to cancel an attack, during a combo/hit confirm.

I'm not a HUGE fighting game nerd, but I do pay some attention to the FGC, and watch some tournaments. (RIP EVO this year) so I am pretty familiar with some of the jargon.

In my experience "parrying" tends to mean how, in some games, if you block an attack at a precise moment, usually frame perfect or nearly so, it has different properties than if you blocked it normally. Things like reduced or no block stun, no chip damage, not getting pushed back, etc.

You could make parrying a specific, unique input, but that's not something I've seen before.

As for this manga, I enjoyed Hi-Score Girl a lot, so this seems like it could be interesting, but I'm hesitant. I'm a bit wary of the translation, for one thing. "Vidya" seems very out of place, but I don't know what the original word was. Maybe it was some 2chan thing, I don't know.

(Also... this probably isn't the best place to have a discussion on something real world e-sports related, but GrandGrant isn't worth saying "RIP" over. I was actually doing some research earlier today about what he did and I'm glad he's stepping out of the DotA scene. We're far better off without him, and that's coming from someone who genuinely enjoyed his casting before.)

(Any other DotA fans here? :P)

edit:

Cheerios??? Really??? Cheerios??? I mean what are you, a1yr old in a highchair?

How dare you besmirch the good name of Cheerios? They're delicious! >:C

last edited at Jun 29, 2020 6:43PM

56f3860d-5792-4d1d-a6e2-6a880f89d9e0
joined May 2, 2020

......CHEERIOS!!!

HyperKunoichi
White_mage
joined Feb 28, 2013

This was pretty damn stupid, but that's kinda what I like about it so far lol. It doesn't take itself too seriously it seems.

My thoughts exactly. The whole thing was so ridiculous and over the top that I couldn't help but love every page of it.

Also, I will be laughing at Page 14 for probably a solid week and a half.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

If by "delicious" you mean edible with tons of suger then, I agree.

last edited at Jun 30, 2020 12:01PM

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

If by "delicious" you mean edible with tons of suger then, I agree.

Fortunately that is what I meant. Is there any other way to eat them?

whitenight2013
Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

So glad Yuzumori-san's author is back.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

whitenight2013 posted:

The truth is, she never left, she was inside us all along... like an alien larva, growing each day waiting to rip off out our chest in a bloody mess

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

whitenight2013 posted:

The truth is, she never left, she was inside us all along... like an alien larva, growing each day waiting to rip off out our chest in a bloody mess

You know, you can go to the doctor's office and they'll give you a shot of penicillin that will clear that right up.

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

I like the kind of comedy it has. I'm not sure if it was intentional but it's like a parody to me with both their idiosyncrasies and lighthearted motivations.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

There were a few spots the translation was really difficult to decode. For example on this page there's several references to "external student" which just made no sense at all. It was only through the surrounding context that I was able to decode what they actually meant was "transfer student". What's up with translators and QCers missing stuff like this? I could understand the translator missing it as they're in the process of translating but surely they read over it afterwards to make sure everything flows correct, right? And you'd think that if they overlooked it that a QCer would catch it.

Serenata posted:

I LOVE FIGHTING GAMES!!! LILI PLAYER AND ELISA PLAYERRRRRR IN TEKKEN!!

Lili is the only character I'm worth a damn at in Tekken 7. I started off playing as Alyssa and I can do alright as her but I quickly found out against my irl friend who specializes in fighting games that she's not near as good a character as I thought. With Lili I at least had about a 50% chance to win when he chose a random character. (Which is a good win ratio against him. I'm the second best in our friend group at fighting games but I don't specialize in them or even play them all that often really.)

Serenata posted:

GGWP means Good Game Well played, in case it wasn't obvious XP

It actually wasn't for me since I don't play many multiplayer games so thanks for pointing it out, lol.

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

This translation would definitely be so much better if the translator wasn't fucking /v/. Okay, I admit that all that rekt bullshit Shirayuri was spouting off after she won was probably what some toxic gamer would say (although I'm fortunate enough to avoid toxicity for the most part in my own games), but vidya was pretty stupid... well, still, I love crazy-ass shit like that weird blood thing that happened here, so I'll still be reading it for sure.

Also, doesn't Shirayuri kinda look like an older Yuzumori? It's not much of a resemblance, but I can kinda see it.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Also, doesn't Shirayuri kinda look like an older Yuzumori? It's not much of a resemblance, but I can kinda see it.

#TotallyNotAuthorAppeal

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

(Also... this probably isn't the best place to have a discussion on something real world e-sports related, but GrandGrant isn't worth saying "RIP" over. I was actually doing some research earlier today about what he did and I'm glad he's stepping out of the DotA scene. We're far better off without him, and that's coming from someone who genuinely enjoyed his casting before.)

Also, I definitely agree that this fucker should not be mourned. I don't play Dota at all, but it seems that he should certainly be in prison right now based on what I've read. It is 4chan though, so what else would you expect from those assholes.

#TotallyNotAuthorAppeal

I think the logical followup to appease the author appeal would be to make another manga with an adult Yuzumori/Shirayuri... and then it'll just keep going from there.

last edited at Jul 25, 2020 5:57AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

This translation would definitely be so much better if the translator wasn't fucking /v/. Okay, I admit that all that rekt bullshit Shirayuri was spouting off after she won was probably what some toxic gamer would say (although I'm fortunate enough to avoid toxicity for the most part in my own games), but vidya was pretty stupid... well, still, I love crazy-ass shit like that weird blood thing that happened here, so I'll still be reading it for sure.

Oh btw, the SSSSS team (or his sole member to be precise)said that they (once again) won't dothe rest of it and they've done only the first chapter to bring it into light. Now it's up to a team if they want to pick it up.

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

It got picked up. Hopefully it gets here too.

89922099_p0_3_32
joined Nov 15, 2017

Looks interesting so far, though some of the translation choices are a bit odd. I know they've got to take some liberties when translating Japanese to English but hearing them say things like vidya feels a bit odd. Though the translator seems to be affiliated with /v/, so I probably shouldn't be too surprised that the translation is a bit memey.

Don't worry. They only did the first chapter. The rest is done by /a/nonymous and are much higher quality.

ckretaznmayden
__sakura_futaba_persona_and_persona_5_drawn_by_kion_kun__d693cf24f18f5565a7cc666e236df3fc
joined Apr 9, 2019

"Shining, shimmering, splendid"… I'll assume that's just the translator making that Aladdin reference and not the author.

last edited at Aug 22, 2020 3:31PM

Komomojpg
joined Aug 6, 2014

Don't worry. They only did the first chapter. The rest is done by /a/nonymous and are much higher quality.

Why is it not here?

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Series is translated upto chapter 5 on MD, and is every bit as intense (and gay) as ever.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Series is translated upto chapter 5 on MD, and is every bit as intense (and gay) as ever.

"this is hatesex but fighting games"
- a comment

To reply you must either login or sign up.