Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

joined Jan 25, 2017

Same, I got blindsided by Shimamura replying that she loved Adachi right away. And later she doubled down, pretty nice.

I thought for sure when Shimamura said she didn't remember the first time she said it in her sleep that that was going to be a thing we'd have to spend like a whole volume or more trying to work our way back to and then she just went and said it again and my jaw hit the floor.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Same, I got blindsided by Shimamura replying that she loved Adachi right away. And later she doubled down, pretty nice.

I thought for sure when Shimamura said she didn't remember the first time she said it in her sleep that that was going to be a thing we'd have to spend like a whole volume or more trying to work our way back to and then she just went and said it again and my jaw hit the floor.

It certainly seems like she was almost asleep again and just said what was on her mind without really realizing it. But, well, since it still was what she actually thought, she was able to say it again as well, even if it was as hard as if it was the first time - which for her it certainly was, as far as it comes to conscious thought.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

C'mon Shimamura isn't some useless shounen male lead lol when she decides to do something she goes for it cuz it'd be a pain to have misunderstandings most of all with Adachi, can't have her going ballistic again.

Damn I'm usually pretty calm but idk what it is about this series it just makes me lose my cool, Adachi and Shimamura just feel so real I can't help but grow excited along with the characters, I swear when I saw that first I love you I had to get up and walk around a bit to shake off my excitement, and in the second one and with Shimamura being all sweet I had to do it again lol finally this is what I wanted, thank you Sneik truly, they were just both so adorable, Adachi finally getting to hear Shima respond to her love and acting so fucking cute, and he'll is the readers as well finally getting to see Shimamura act like that, kyaaaaaaaa, is a I can say, can't wait for shima POV I really can't wait.

I like the what ifs guys I really do but it does kind of feels like a kick in the balls that just after such a cliffhanger last volume we start with that lol kind of drains the tension out of you .... I did really like that we start off right on the next day, Adachi not even believing it was true and having to call Shimamura, that was cute and sad at the same time you can just feel how much she believes the world is against her and that it's impossible for her to have such a happy outcome.

Yeah both what if are great but then it just leaves you wanting to also continue those stories lol they both seemed very interesting, 2 office ladies getting into a romance when they're kinda hating life and are just going from day to day without really anything happening slowly falling in love? Yes please, Shimamura on the attac ? YES please lol.

Is anyone following any other good romance Light Novels ? Doesn't have to be Yuri, I've just been reading Yuri manga but after this it's kind of not the same I want something with a little more meat like this, I've looked but I can't find other Yuri Light Novels out there, why God whyyyyyyy (well just those Sayaka spin offs and Strawberry something).

last edited at May 30, 2020 6:52PM

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

I feel like Shimamura would be the one to fall in love first if Adachi stayed the same.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

I feel like Shimamura would be the one to fall in love first if Adachi stayed the same.

Well yeah that's exactly what the what if showed us.

And it's very damn interesting seeing Shima slowly losing her "everything is a pain" mentality cuz she's very interested in Adachi and getting to know her, the "wow this is very interesting" she throws out while following her says it all, remember in the first volume, welp more like the first like 3-4 she couldn't bother to do anything on her own initiative, hell even Shima asking Adachi to do something cuz she wants to observe her is telling that shes already feeling something for Adachi lol.

last edited at May 30, 2020 11:00PM

joined Mar 30, 2016

I agree it was actually kind of interesting seeing Shimamura being the one to fall for her first.

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Yeah. I agree. I wonder, how will be the main story goes if Shimamura fell in love first to Adachi? It’s an interesting read. Would Shimamura be like the girl in the library that having a crush on Adachi in middle school? Lol quite sight to see. Iruma-sensei good for adding these AUs just to prove Adachi and Shimamura is fated to meet no matter what universe they are.

last edited at May 31, 2020 12:50AM

joined Jan 25, 2017

The thing is that if Adachi never changed and started pursuing Shimamura so relentlessly, I'm not sure how Shimamura ever becomes capable of making the first move. I mean, half the point of Shimamura's character arc is that she's surrendered so much of her agency in the pursuit of maintaining safe, neutral, empty relationships with people around her that it takes volumes and volumes of Adachi metaphorically knocking on the door to coax Shimamura into responding of her own accord.

xxcindybeexx
Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

C'mon Shimamura isn't some useless shounen male lead lol when she decides to do something she goes for it cuz it'd be a pain to have misunderstandings most of all with Adachi, can't have her going ballistic again.

Damn I'm usually pretty calm but idk what it is about this series it just makes me lose my cool, Adachi and Shimamura just feel so real I can't help but grow excited along with the characters, I swear when I saw that first I love you I had to get up and walk around a bit to shake off my excitement, and in the second one and with Shimamura being all sweet I had to do it again lol finally this is what I wanted, thank you Sneik truly, they were just both so adorable, Adachi finally getting to hear Shima respond to her love and acting so fucking cute, and he'll is the readers as well finally getting to see Shimamura act like that, kyaaaaaaaa, is a I can say, can't wait for shima POV I really can't wait.

I like the what ifs guys I really do but it does kind of feels like a kick in the balls that just after such a cliffhanger last volume we start with that lol kind of drains the tension out of you .... I did really like that we start off right on the next day, Adachi not even believing it was true and having to call Shimamura, that was cute and sad at the same time you can just feel how much she believes the world is against her and that it's impossible for her to have such a happy outcome.

Yeah both what if are great but then it just leaves you wanting to also continue those stories lol they both seemed very interesting, 2 office ladies getting into a romance when they're kinda hating life and are just going from day to day without really anything happening slowly falling in love? Yes please, Shimamura on the attac ? YES please lol.

Is anyone following any other good romance Light Novels ? Doesn't have to be Yuri, I've just been reading Yuri manga but after this it's kind of not the same I want something with a little more meat like this, I've looked but I can't find other Yuri Light Novels out there, why God whyyyyyyy (well just those Sayaka spin offs and Strawberry something).

it's not romance but there's one other LN i've read, 12 kingdoms. i read it after the anime cut short and never finished their last ark so went for the LN and it was really good. actually make that 2 other LN's i've read, "the irregular at magic highschool" is also super good. this one isn't GL romance either but it does have hints at incest. rest of story is so good though so it's easy to put up with it (personally idc about that kinda stuff in stories so didn't bother me)

that being said i love adachi's little gay heart, i was so excited when i saw shimamura telling her i love you to bits XD

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Very interesting choice to expand on these other potentials, instead of focusing on just the development of the confession aftermath. I think I'm pretty inured to early statements of love; I didn't feel much when it happened here. Thought it was nice of course, but not inherently so.

But yes those AUs, very interesting. I wonder what the point of including them is. Completely unexpected narrative path to make. But it does deepen their relationship, so that it can be seen that it's not a fluke but something closer to destiny.

What I appreciated the most was the simple scene of Adachi grappling with the realization that she and Shima are dating now. Quite realistic. Especially when most stories end at the confession. But then there's the next morning when the excitement has worn off, and what are things like then? Good to explore.

YuriIsLife1998
Screen%20shot%202020-03-21%20at%203.08.23%20pm
joined Apr 25, 2019

But yes those AUs, very interesting. I wonder what the point of including them is.

I think the points is that Author want to show us that Adachi and Shimamura are meant to be together even if they didn't meet at the Gym's Second Floor or even if Adachi stayed the same.

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

But yes those AUs, very interesting. I wonder what the point of including them is.

I think the points is that Author want to show us that Adachi and Shimamura are meant to be together even if they didn't meet at the Gym's Second Floor or even if Adachi stayed the same.

Yeah, they must be tied with the red string of fate.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Yeah I bought the official releases of books 1 & 2 for kindle, and rereading through the early stuff I had kinda forgotten how obviously Shimamura is into Adachi. Like even before Adachi has her kissing dream Shimamura is already like excitedly wondering if maybe Adachi might be gay, and well obviously that couldn't be true but if it is what should she do... And she won't shut up about how totally pretty Adachi is.

Like especially volume 1 they're just really blatantly flirting. It's making me look forward to the anime, for sure.

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

^ I remember the first time I read the first volume I was under the impression that it would Shimamura who would be pursuing Adachi since honestly she already seem to be into her early on. Then I was surprised when it change to Adachi's pov and no, turns out Adachi was the one to fall first lol.

I wonder if the anime were to be super successful maybe Adashima could join those other series that get like a bunch of spin off or something and we could get complementary manga based on these what if AUs ^^ that would be fun tho who knows if they would get the feeling for them right.

It's just kinda funny the author himself puts this "what if" short stories for a bit of variety.

The adult OL AU would be fun to see how much would be different and how much would stay the same, even if they aren't that different from their HS selves the context of meeting as adults would be a fun spin. Plus more adult Yuri is always a win

I would like to think that even in the other what if were Adachi didn't fall in love so soon, and were maybe its Shimamura who falls first, that it would still be Adachi's influence that makes Shima want to change, I dunno like maybe while Adachi isn't in love with her (yet) she is still the one who goes out of the flow to keep her relationship with Shimamura, who maybe in the middle of realizing her feelings for Adachi and what that would be for the way she goes about her life she is kinda unable to get a solution on the spot and lets herself be taken by the flow by usual thinking that is for the better but Adachi is still the one that reaches out.

or something like that, I dunno that just sounds like a repeat of vol4 but with feelings changed, I mostly would want to think that Adachi's efforts in the original story wouldn't be so easily to be shrug off in the what if story.

or in short what SpiritusNox said above ^^

very excited to see more of Shimamura's pov in the next chapters!

last edited at May 31, 2020 3:47PM

TheDudeThatExists
Screenshot_20200407_211356
joined Feb 21, 2020

Hitoma Iruma is an absolute KING for doing these "alternative universe/what if"-chapters!
Especially the last two just cement in the fact, that Adachi and Shimamura are meant for each other, that both seem to like one another and it's just making me feel something deep down in my cold heart lol.

Beautiful, and I haven't even started with "Feeling Your Smile", that chapter killed both me and Adachi lol, would have never expected Shimamura to actually say it out loud, TWO times, damn. Now I'm really getting excited to see Shimamura's thoughts, especially regarding the start of school. But Adachi's POV will never get old, I swear!

"Then again, if Shimamura was the one doing it, I didn't really mind being shot." is such a fantastic fucking line, even in context lol. The later volumes really have some quotable lines lol.

Thanks, team, the cackling makes me get hyped up, haha.

last edited at May 31, 2020 7:31PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Yeah I get that, but why is what I don't get. Even if it's fluff, it still jarringly expands the reader's awareness that there isn't just one story but multiple that could have occurred. Why would Iruma do that? Because it also implicitly says that out of all the stories there could have been, this is the one that he's chosen to focus on. So why? That seems important. Add on to that the otherworldliness of Yashiro and there's weird background plot threads coming into existence.

last edited at May 31, 2020 7:57PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

^ I suspect it's just what he does when he needs to take a break from the actual story, to overcome writer's block or just when an idea like this gets stuck in his mind, and since they're already written anyway, there's nothing wrong with sharing them with the readers as well.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

What about the smut he also undoubtedly writes for similar reasons? Hopefully he shares that too when the time comes.

Djmf_wallpaper05-psp
joined Nov 20, 2016

Dude... when Shima said the L word I was SHOCKED, much like Adachi I kinda just spaced out and put my face into my hands and internally screamed.

I feel like we have all just kinda gotten used to Shima's "go with the flow, not really doing things unless pushed to" attitude, and then BAM she like finally activates her second brain cell and and comes out with the declaration of love, not just once, but twice! Bless her sleepy brain for finally saying what we've all known she's been feeling since volume 1. I've been really enjoying watching Shima's recent growth and subtle changes,I've always really related to her and it's nice seeing that it is possible to get over, or at least grow from having such a flippant attitude towards putting effort towards things and trying to reach out and make lasting and meaningful bonds with others, it makes me wanna try a bit harder as well!

Ganbaruby Shimamura! I hope you're able push past whatever is holding you back from telling Adachi the reasons that you love her soon :D

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

What about the smut he also undoubtedly writes for similar reasons? Hopefully he shares that too when the time comes.

One can only hope. :D

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Dude... when Shima said the L word I was SHOCKED

Lesbians? I love Scott Pilgrim.

JazzLafayette
4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

I literally cannot stop cackling now every time we get Adachi's POV. She is an absolute disaster and I adore her.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

It's funnier seeing her from Shimamuras POV, since Shima knows that shes always forcing herself and she likes watching her be all flustered so we get to see Shima coming up with silly things and getting to see how Adachi reacts lol.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Do you guys plan on re-reading the series as the j-novel club versions come out ? Bought volume 1 but since I just re-read this like 2 weeks ago imma have to give it some time so that I can get the full experience of Adachi being the most useless lesbian ever, I've had the most second hand embarrassment reading about her then anyone else probably, so you really gotta prepare for that.

And if I start I won't be able to stop till I read volume 6, volume 6 is just way to fucking good, it already gave me more satisfaction then most romance series endings, and what we've gotten of volume 7 with Shima saying I love you ? .... Damn maybe I will just read everything again.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

If it ever gets officially released in my country I'll definitely pick it up and re-read it, it wouldn't even be in English anyway so it would be somewhat of a fresh experience.

To reply you must either login or sign up.