Forum › Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru discussion

joined Mar 29, 2019

Annnnngst and depressssion. Her only solution is to tell the girl she likes that she wants to become friends with her.

Siiiiigh. What a beautiful friendship they shall make.

The amount of anxiety and depression in Konatsu is exasperating and scary. She's completely alone out there. It's like she has no in-depth connections with people and desperately needs that.

Very deep friendship is the only way. She would totally move to Tokyo for her very close friend. If only they would actually hang out anymore, it's sort of like, is Koyuki scared of her now? Like I don't think she gets it, she's such a daddy's girl, nerdy normie. I don't think she understand the depth of feeling or need from her friend at all. I bet she would be surprised if she knew...would she even be up for it?

I honestly am starting to get one-sided affair from this manga. Konatsu is clearly desperate for affection and a relationship. Koyuki is numb to everything and always constantly afraid of not understanding anything. Koyuki is a big dumb ignorant goof, she thinks Konatsu needs more club members, that she should become friends with her friends. Why is she missing the mark here? Konatsu doesn't need any of these things, she needs a deep, close friendship. What is it that's making Koyuki keep her distance here?

I mean, clearly Konatsu just needs to come out and say it. "I need YOU, like ALL THE TIME." And if Koyuki doesn't want that and won't even consider it then she probably needs to go back to Tokyo.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Koyuki letting the new club members in isn't just for Konatsu's sake, it's so the club can thrive and keep going even after Koyuki graduates. It would make no sense for her as president (and for her father as supervisor) not to accept more people now that a few are finally interested.

I don't think there's a wedge between Konatsu and Koyuki right now, at least not nearly to the extent that there was one before. They are aware they need each other as they've talked about last chapter, in fact that should be what will drive Konatsu to want to stay rather than moving back to Tokyo with her father. It would be nice if Konatsu spilled the beans with Koyuki even before the next public exhibition of the club or if Koyuki noticed something is wrong and got her to talk, I think they'd have no trouble sorting it out. And I hope the author does it to show their character development, as Koyuki already realized in the previous couple chapters that she needs to be more perceptive and listen to Konatsu, so it should be time for Konatsu to become less reticent about her feelings in turn.

joined Mar 25, 2012

hirose is probably my favorite character in this whole series.

joined Jun 8, 2019

YAY! Another chapter of the super best friends!

joined Jul 26, 2019

The story stagnates, the author takes care a lot (too much?) of the sides ... everything is diluted there should be a real guideline because it seems that we can continue like this for another 30 chapters ...
The story of the daddy is nice but no need of 3 chapters to develop this, we already know that konatsu is in need of affection ...

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I like that the story is dealing with Konatsu's dad now, it was set up from the beginning that Konatsu tries to talk to him about her issues but she has a hard time doing so due to him being far away and busy with work. It's also following up on Koyuki's parents helping Koyuki sort her own problems out so it feels natural.

I wonder if they'll mention what happened to Konatsu's mom. If she died or divorced when Konatsu was little, it could easily explain why Konatsu is so prone to loneliness.

last edited at May 2, 2020 8:08PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I like that the story is dealing with Konatsu's dad now, it was set up from the beginning that Konatsu tries to talk to him about her issues but she has a hard time doing so due to him being far away and busy with work. It's also following up on Koyuki's parents helping Koyuki sort her own problems out so it feels natural.

It's nice this story deals with parents seriously at all, like Koyumi's dad as a teacher and having talks with her.

By the way, I saw the title translated as "A Tropical Fish Yearns For Snow" on TV Tropes. Can anybody confirm if this sounds reasonably accurate? I was just surprised because didn't expect "tropical fish" or "snow" to be in the title. Don't seem to be symbols either character has been associated with.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

riverFlower posted:

By the way, I saw the title translated as "A Tropical Fish Yearns For Snow" on TV Tropes. Can anybody confirm if this sounds reasonably accurate? I was just surprised because didn't expect "tropical fish" or "snow" to be in the title. Don't seem to be symbols either character has been associated with.

That's the literal translation of the title. I believe someone already mentioned it in the thread and explained it with similar contradiction as frog which despite wanting to be free, started to want to stay with salamander. Or something like that.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

riverFlower posted:

That's the literal translation of the title. I believe someone already mentioned it in the thread and explained it with similar contradiction as frog which despite wanting to be free, started to want to stay with salamander. Or something like that.

I decided to look for that, Ctrl+F'd through 69 pages of comments (haha 69) and did find some title discussion here. So I guess it's not directly symbolically tied to the story motifs but does refer to them.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I assume the author went with a fish in the title because it represents the aquarium club theme more directly even though the actual metaphor in the series involves a salamander and a frog.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I assume the author went with a fish in the title because it represents the aquarium club theme more directly even though the actual metaphor in the series involves a salamander and a frog.

Definitively Not Lizard

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

BeanBeanKingdom posted:

I was thinking that tropical fish also is meant to symbolize aquarium, but honestly, I just like the inherent contradiction of that sentence. The tropical fish, by definition, only lives in hot environment and probably couldn't survive in place that has snow, so it longing for it could pretty much lead to it's death. Yet there's something strong about wanting something, you know you shouldn't or couldn't. It reminds me of Olaf's love (snowman from Frozen) for summer. I think it reflects the frog and salamander dilemma pretty well.

That's imo the issue with groups not translating titles. Cos they can often have special meaning, but people are not aware of it and whenever someone brings it in the thread, the chance everyone will see it is very small. Especially in long threads.

last edited at May 14, 2020 7:38AM

joined Jan 14, 2020

Sweet story. But yeah, what happened to mom? And did Konatsu not have any friends in Tokyo?

Kind of feels like excessive angst recently given the lack of actual 'text'.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Also, it seems rather bizarre that the aquarium club is so important to the school -- has special events -- and yet had only one member who was a super revered student. Like, you'd think some fans would show up, or students guilt-tripped into taking one for the school, either way.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Is this Yuri? Or is this Patrick?
(sorry)

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Sweet story. But yeah, what happened to mom? And did Konatsu not have any friends in Tokyo?

Kind of feels like excessive angst recently given the lack of actual 'text'.

Going by how Konatsu imagines the salamander suggesting she lay low and just try to fit into her class if she didn't want to feel lonely in the first chapter, it's likely that's what she also did before in Tokyo and that she just had some shallow friendships with classmates, none of which deep enough for her to stay in touch with them after moving to Ehime. She definitely never had anyone she connected with on the level of Koyuki, which is made pretty clear by how hurt she was by seeing her hang out alone with Kaede despite Kaede also being her friend. So if she moves back to Tokyo now, she feels like she's going to lose something irreplaceable as it's not simply a matter of making more friends or reconnecting with the ones she had. This distinction would be much easier to see if the series was explicit romance, but we'll take the girlship and like it.

Also, it seems rather bizarre that the aquarium club is so important to the school -- has special events -- and yet had only one member who was a super revered student. Like, you'd think some fans would show up, or students guilt-tripped into taking one for the school, either way.

Koyuki did have fans, or at least guys with the hots for her, but her status as model student never let her fit in or seem approchable enough for others to want to join the aquarium club. Koyuki's father probably could've strong-armed a couple students into joining the club to give her a hand, but he was aware of her loneliness and it's difficult for a parent to interfere and impose something on their child, so he stayed close and helped her out himself until she was able to find someone on her own.

As for the club's importance, apparently in real life the school the one in the manga is based off of has the only aquarium club in the region, and in the manga it's treated as a local attraction. It's definitely not a common sight in a high school. Ironically the manga has become an ambassador for the real-life town it's set in and last year they organized a tour with various cross-promotion, so it probably ended up making the real aquarium club more famous.

last edited at May 19, 2020 5:39AM

joined Oct 5, 2016

honestly how is this not yuri?

I have to assume the magazine it runs in was like "this yuri thing seems popular right now, but... we don't want it TOO gay."

Like if this is really just a story about friendship then everyone involved is acting like a lunatic.

last edited at May 19, 2020 4:40PM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Would you be okay with it if the series ended with no explicit yuri but then the author made one of those "official" doujins that has it?

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Holy fuck! I can't believe we actually got it published here! And they even labeled it as shoujo ai. I know, I know. We apparently still use it.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

BeanBeanKingdom posted:

Would you be okay with it if the series ended with no explicit yuri but then the author made one of those "official" doujins that has it?

Of course! so long as they look happy at the end of the manga, the author can show just single illustrations later with more intimate implications and I would be fine with just that.

But the ending it's gonna be Koyuki, I ... I'm actually unzips flesh costume a lizard kind.

last edited at May 23, 2020 11:36AM

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

As for the club's importance, apparently in real life the school the one in the manga is based off of has the only aquarium club in the region, and in the manga it's treated as a local attraction. It's definitely not a common sight in a high school. Ironically the manga has become an ambassador for the real-life town it's set in and last year they organized a tour with various cross-promotion, so it probably ended up making the real aquarium club more famous.

That's not ironic at all. It's just normal consequence of what is effectively location advertisement. There's surprising amount of manga and anime tourists... Well, at least when there's not a pandemic rolling all over the place.

joined Dec 28, 2019

Imo, I'm really liking how the story is progressing. The interactions that lead up to moving forward feel more natural with the involvement of other characters, especially the parents. I've seen too many mangas where the parents just... aren't there at all and practically nonexistent. But that's just how anime works I guess. Really nice development and work in this manga though.

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

I love Konatsu here. That's a healthy mindset.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Come for the girlship, stay for the great dads.

joined Jun 12, 2019

Well she’s accepting her loneliness I guess I should accept mine lmao

To reply you must either login or sign up.