Forum › Fuzoroi no Renri discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Bullshit snarking about “Japanese trope bandages” aside, are there any other examples of non-fantasy manga series that attempt to incorporate both comedic violence and dead-serious horrifying domestic abuse?

joined Jan 17, 2020

I can't believe DV is being discussed about this story. It's clearly just a comedy thing.

Bullshit snarking about “Japanese trope bandages” aside, are there any other examples of non-fantasy manga series that attempt to incorporate both comedic violence and dead-serious horrifying domestic abuse?

If you want to take a work of illustrated fiction literally, have at it. But then you’ll also have to accept that there are literally people floating over other character’s heads during flashbacks. Or that time is being represented in real time and flashbacks must happen after the time they’re being remembered by characters. Or that word balloons actually exist in this world and everyone communicates by reading each other’s word balloons.

You can’t pick and choose which literary and artistic devices you want to take literally and those you don’t just to make some non-point about a very serious real-world issue.

Have you ever read Hunter X Hunter? Children are beaten up by adults for both comedic and “serious” violence. For example, Bisky slaps Killua around to “smack some sense into him” and leaves him with facial swelling that disappears moments later. In the NGL arc, a Chimera ant abducts two children and feeds them to the Chimera Queen alive. Gon gets the holy crap kicked out of him by adults repeatedly during fights. And he’s 11 years old at the beginning of the story. But using your logic, it’s essentially a story about child abuse. And instead of going on to grow into surpassing his father as an elite hunter, the story should have ended in chapter 2 with CPS arriving and placing Gon into foster care. Because hey, there was some slapstick violence and because there is also serious violence that means all violence must be interpreted literally. Or else the author is making light of child abuse. Or something.

last edited at May 6, 2020 10:10AM by

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

In the NGL arc, a Chimera ant abducts two children and feeds them to the Chimera Queen alive.

Nice work on the “non-fantasy” example.

In the NGL arc, a Chimera ant abducts two children and feeds them to the Chimera Queen alive.

“My very narrow and very specific argument still holds because it only applies to this particular title. I will only accept evidence from no other titles, therefore, I cannot be disproven.”

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

“My very narrow and very specific argument still holds because it only applies to this particular title. I will only accept evidence from no other titles, therefore, I cannot be disproven.”

Bullshit. I excluded fantasy because in that genre violence can have all kinds of variant meanings than in realism, like in the Bakemonogatari series, where the protagonist can get torn limb from limb and it’s funny because he’s a fucking vampire who regenerates faster than the enemy can injure him.

My issue is not moral, but artistic. The “comedy violence” tropes are a genre signal that the violence is notional and not to be taken seriously—everybody knows that, which is why the pious lectures about tropes are obtuse. But the Minami-abuse arcs send “realistic drama” genre signals—the basis of her character is that she’s a sweet, loving person with a history of being violently abused by people close to her.

When authors mix not just different but contradictory genre signals, the risk is what happens here—readers go “wtf—how are we supposed to take this?” The story sets up sympathy for Minami as the victim of unjustified violence, then shows Iori suddenly smacking her out of nowhere for being emotionally insecure, and that’s supposed to be funny. Good luck with that.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

What's the point anyway? So if I say I know a DV manga that's both comedic and serious, you'll change your mind about this one, or what?

That's not how it typically works and frankly sounds like a waste of time all around.

That manga/anime/vn extensively work with tonal shifts should be known to anyone anyway. It's particularly masterfully done in any KEY story, but doesn't mean you don't also get stuff like MuvLuv - dork-about-in-highschool-oh-suddenly-alien-invasion-everyone's-dead. It's pretty common.

Bullshit. I excluded fantasy because in that genre violence can have all kinds of variant meanings than in realism, like in the Bakemonogatari series, where the protagonist can get torn limb from limb and it’s funny because he’s a fucking vampire who regenerates faster than the enemy can injure him.

My issue is not moral, but artistic. The “comedy violence” tropes are a genre signal that the violence is notional and not to be taken seriously—everybody knows that, which is why the pious lectures about tropes are obtuse. But the Minami-abuse arcs send “realistic drama” genre signals—the basis of her character is that she’s a sweet, loving person with a history of being violently abused by people close to her.

When authors mix not just different but contradictory genre signals, the risk is what happens here—readers go “wtf—how are we supposed to take this?” The story sets up sympathy for Minami as the victim of unjustified violence, then shows Iori suddenly smacking her out of nowhere for being emotionally insecure, and that’s supposed to be funny. Good luck with that.

So if you are arguing that this title is “non-fantasy”, please direct me to this place in Japan that is populated exclusively with beautiful, young, wide-eyed lesbians who never have PMS or menstruate. This ‘realistic drama’ in which a teenager with very large visible tattoos and piercings is not chastised by every person over 35 they encounter. Where two women spend the night having sex in a love hotel and wake up with nary a puffy eye or hair out of place.

The artist doesn’t dramatize any ugly people in this title. Perhaps in this ‘realistic drama’, ugly people have bags placed over their heads and are rounded up to be placed in holding pens so the beautiful people never have to see them or interact with them. If you have a gummy smile, or crooked teeth, or are slightly overweight you are banished from this “realistic drama”.

You are perfectly okay with this example of fantasy in this title. You are not okay with the fantasy violence because you are literally citing only the examples that support your argument. It’s confirmation bias, pure and simple.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So if you are arguing that this title is “non-fantasy”, please direct me to this place in Japan that is populated exclusively with beautiful, young, wide-eyed lesbians who never have PMS or menstruate. This ‘realistic drama’ in which a teenager with very large visible tattoos and piercings is not chastised by every person over 35 they encounter. Where two women spend the night having sex in a love hotel and wake up with nary a puffy eye or hair out of place.

The artist doesn’t dramatize any ugly people in this title. Perhaps in this ‘realistic drama’, ugly people have bags placed over their heads and are rounded up to be placed in holding pens so the beautiful people never have to see them or interact with them. If you have a gummy smile, or crooked teeth, or are slightly overweight you are banished from this “realistic drama”.

You are perfectly okay with this example of fantasy in this title. You are not okay with the fantasy violence because you are literally citing only the examples that support your argument. It’s confirmation bias, pure and simple.

OK, I’m guessing you’re not that stupid as to think that this series meets any reasonable definition of “fantasy” as a genre, so all this has just been bluster to win an argument on the internet.

You “win”—you’re so awesome.

last edited at May 6, 2020 11:13AM

OK, I’m guessing you’re not that stupid as to think that this series meets any reasonable definition of “fantasy” as a genre, so all this has just been bluster to win an argument on the internet.

You “win”—you’re so awesome.

And if you think that a story about exclusively beautiful young lesbians doesn’t have fantasy elements, you are just reinforcing your own disingenuousness. Get over yourself.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

How much like Heke Mikanuji is ?

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

The issue can be summed up under the sentence "the author is not very good at handling tonal shifts." Mikanuji also is basically making up drama and new characters as she goes along. This was what, originally an online thing that can end at anytime, but then it got picked up to be serialized. Where you can longer play that fast and loose with plot. Got to have a direction of some sort. Except we don't know if it's heading for the cliff or somewhere sensible.

Lil-Dumpster-Rat
2020-10-01%20(2)
joined Jul 27, 2019

Shinohara: I like Heke

Her friend: Ah yes, the floor is made of floor

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

No mentioning of clay today Yurimitsu?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

After THAT chapter, I took a break, and today I read all the new chapters but yeah, I kinda lost the ability to enjoy it or feel excited with any couple now, I like the mangaka but she's stuck with someone who seems to have problem with the concept of being nice or honest ... So yeah, this will be my last comment about this series so you won't see me arguing with people about why this is bad or good.

But I saw some comments and I actually laughed with the irony of some people xP anyway, enjoy

Rsz_1screenshot_7
joined Aug 23, 2015

oof

joined Feb 23, 2016

Alcohol the world’s best truth serum Σ੧(❛□❛✿)

joined Nov 21, 2018

Those little not-Miqo'te are so cute.

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

Umm, bathroom handholding? O-kayyyy....

Stretch%20full
joined Jun 13, 2012

So Minami is not of drinking age, but is of sex age?

joined Mar 21, 2017

So Minami is not of drinking age, but is of sex age?

Drinking age in Japan is 20. Age of consent on the other hand is a bit more complex i believe. Pretty sure it's mentioned that she's about 18/19.

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

Iori you fool, don't you see this is your ticket to being a top? Use this to your advantage!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Hino will be so jealous...

Download
joined Jun 4, 2015

Curious, are you guys still adding the filter, or did she start using it again. While reading this chapter, it just kinda popped in my head.

joined Dec 5, 2019

Ah, crying drunks....had to listen to a lot of them...

To reply you must either login or sign up.