Forum › Fuzoroi no Renri discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'd point to the recently posted Rock It, Girl as a series where there's plenty of slapstick hitting and other casual violence (all definitely "not OK" in any real-world context), but the tone is consistent throughout. So even though there's some violence that's treated seriously at the end, the overall effect is completely different than it is here.

Where it seems to boil down to Iori saying, "Oh, Minami, you poor thing, you've been so terribly abused and unloved--come live with me at my place where I'll only abuse you a little bit, out of love."

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I mean, it's not like the sister/delinquent is any better. Remember that really have fighteach other. Don't know if the manga should have a Violence tag just in case, because there is definitvely signs of violence more than often and that potentially can take some people by surprise.

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

I'm sort of torn between how cute they are most of the time and the way this girl can't seem to avoid physical abuse.

That wasn't really played for laughs there either.

last edited at Apr 28, 2020 2:59PM

Lumg21
joined Jan 6, 2020

I mean, it's not like the sister/delinquent is any better.

The difference for me here is that Shizuku obviously has a messed up and violent personality, with a backstory, later on, to explain it, so she may not be nice, but you can at least see why she might not be nice. Whereas Iori just has these sudden bouts of rage (probably drunk as well) which are very jarring to their usual relationship. This chapter is the only one I've found quite disturbing/off-putting, mainly because Minami is the one to be shown in the wrong by the end of it.

Also, that fight was agreed upon by both parties.

last edited at Apr 28, 2020 2:59PM

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

now i want sushi and kfc

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

My main point of intruige with this is probably whether or not this casual domestic violence really is played for supposed laughs or if it's going to develop into something. If it is then I guess the author has a very interesting sense of humor / kink, because there's no way they don't realize what they're doing right?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

My main point of intruige with this is probably whether or not this casual domestic violence really is played for supposed laughs or if it's going to develop into something. If it is then I guess the author has a very interesting sense of humor / kink, because there's no way they don't realize what they're doing right?

One would think so. But the imouto/delinquent arc has played violence, if not for laughs exactly, as something not so awful.

I'll just admit--I don't know what the author is up to. But I find it weird and off-putting.

AnnabellaRenee87
Fb_img_1653938041525
joined Aug 13, 2019

Okay, did I miss something here?
Why is this a domestic violence story now? They were doing do good.....

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

i hope there's no violence between the new characters, the mangaka and the editor

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

It's possible that we're entering an arc where Iori starts going too far, but eventually learns her lesson and stops hitting Minami, but otherwise this is probably just a comedic moment that totally misses the mark.

Tumblr_ok9qbbf9zt1vy8fcno2_250
joined Nov 13, 2018

It's not possible for her to describe how much she loves her gf but it sure is possible for her to hit her gf, damn.

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

When you examine some comedies closely enough, they reveal themselves to be, in fact, tragedies.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I think they're taking the violence gag a little to far, here. Not that I was a fan of it to begin with.

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

That was fukt. Mikanuji has a lot of explaining to do. Either the tone was way off the mark by accident, they’re setting up for some big drama and Minami is going to leave Iori, or I’m dropping this manga from my favorites like a sack of bricks.

Edit: on re-reading, this seems intentional. Look at the way Iori is standing kind of stiffly over Minami while she’s on the phone, the quick transition to anger with her eyes shadowed, Iori’s fear when her girlfriend goes to hit her, and how fucked up that exchange at the end is. I don’t know where all this is coming from because shit seemed fine, but it appears to be intentional when you look at how the panels, words, and characters’ bodies are posed.

last edited at Apr 29, 2020 1:17AM

joined May 29, 2019

that was scary. her friends are right, it's time to break up

4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

Specifically, that this series wants us to care about Minami’s traumatic history and distrust of intimacy and then has Iori hitting her at the drop of a hat isn’t smart. It renders the drama unconvincing while the drama makes those attempts at lighthearted moments grossly discomfiting.

IT KEEPS GETTING NASTIER WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I find it intriguing. Clearly this is done on purpose - you wouldn't directly contrast these things randomly. And frankly I doubt you are supposed to just laugh at it. But then I can't really guess what the point is - just to feel disturbing? Possibly.

Who knows. Someone should go ask the author ;)

joined Jul 26, 2016

I'm starting to half suspect this is a deliberate deconstruction of Iori's character - she's more and more starting to resemble the old Shizuku, only without the latter's Freudian Excuse of legitimately horrible past, self-awareness and almost-desperate desire to reform.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm starting to half suspect this is a deliberate deconstruction of Iori's character - she's more and more starting to resemble the old Shizuku, only without the latter's Freudian Excuse of legitimately horrible past, self-awareness and almost-desperate desire to reform.

I kind of thought of that, but that opens up the suggestion that Minami has some kind of supernatural power that makes people hit her. (I'm exaggerating, of course, but I don't see how you avoid some kind of victim-blaming in such a case.)

joined Jul 26, 2016

I kind of thought of that, but that opens up the suggestion that Minami has some kind of supernatural power that makes people hit her. (I'm exaggerating, of course, but I don't see how you avoid some kind of victim-blaming in such a case.)

I mean. From what we've been told Minami should be quite physically capable of resisting such mistreatment if she wanted to, particularly in regards to Iori who as far as we know has exactly zero brawling experience. That she didn't and doesn't is thus presumably due to psychological/emotional factors, ie. a need for companionship sufficiently pathologically deep-seated she'd rather suffer abuse than risk the relationship.

Put harshly, she is to a degree enabling continued and in this case apparently escalating abuse from her SOs by outright refusing to stand up to them despite being fully capable of doing so.

This is in conspicuous and I suspect not at all unintentional contrast to the relationship between Shizuku and Saori, where the latter immediately made it clear she will respond to any misbehaviour ferociously and to the full (and considerable) extent of her abilities. Which if anything seemed to come as something of a relief to Shizuku who knows how seriously maladjusted she is and needs someone capable and willing to keep her in check while she's trying to work out this whole "decent human being" thing.

...I'm going to be so amused by the grim irony if this ends up with Iori just getting all the worse and eventually Shizuku of all people having to stage an intervention.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I mean. From what we've been told Minami should be quite physically capable of resisting such mistreatment if she wanted to, particularly in regards to Iori who as far as we know has exactly zero brawling experience. That she didn't and doesn't is thus presumably due to psychological/emotional factors, ie. a need for companionship sufficiently pathologically deep-seated she'd rather suffer abuse than risk the relationship.

Put harshly, she is to a degree enabling continued and in this case apparently escalating abuse from her SOs by outright refusing to stand up to them despite being fully capable of doing so.

This is in conspicuous and I suspect not at all unintentional contrast to the relationship between Shizuku and Saori, where the latter immediately made it clear she will respond to any misbehaviour ferociously and to the full (and considerable) extent of her abilities. Which if anything seemed to come as something of a relief to Shizuku who knows how seriously maladjusted she is and needs someone capable and willing to keep her in check while she's trying to work out this whole "decent human being" thing.

...I'm going to be so amused by the grim irony if this ends up with Iori just getting all the worse and eventually Shizuku of all people having to stage an intervention.

This all suggests an altogether more subtle and planned-out long-term story arc than I thought was going on here, and a far cry from what I find most pleasurable about the story, which was the inventive way the author could ring funny changes on the theme of domestic connubial bliss between two quirky but essentially benign characters.

If we're heading into the psychological/behavioral abyss again, I'm not sure I'm along for the ride this time.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

This all suggests an altogether more subtle and planned-out long-term story arc than I thought was going on here, and a far cry from what I find most pleasurable about the story, which was the inventive way the author could ring funny changes on the theme of domestic connubial bliss between two quirky but essentially benign characters.

If we're heading into the psychological/behavioral abyss again, I'm not sure I'm along for the ride this time.

For the few raw ahead i've seen there is not much domestical violence ahead, although there is probably some introspective on the relation.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

For the few raw ahead i've seen there is not much domestical violence ahead, although there is probably some introspective on the relation.

It's kind of a double-edged sword--if we're heading into a serious exploration of Iori's breakdown into a domestic abuser, to me that's a pretty sucky development (as I said, I've mostly valued this for its high-quality fluff).

If they don't deal with it and pass it off as no-big-deal comedy, that's pretty WTF too.

joined Jul 26, 2016

I mean it's also entirely possible - or even likely - the author just doesn't know WTF they're doing and the story is duly giving out unfortunately and horribly mixed messages. I just find it entertaining to put more thought into it by way of idle speculation than they probably did. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

if we're heading into a serious exploration of Iori's breakdown into a domestic abuser, to me that's a pretty sucky development

Should have precise seem to be Minami's introspection, well on one chapter that's it. There is also the Editor/Iori meeting/some delinuqent imouto moments and editor/mangaka too. I wouldn't wait too much for heavy exploration. Also after checking a bit far ahead, i've seen only one chapter of "violence" but it seem on purpose on both side and more of a game than a real fight.

To reply you must either login or sign up.