Forum › Semelparous discussion

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Plot twist: The original one-shot took place in the parallel world, but Haruka and Youko are partially swapped there. In other words, in the parallel world, Haruka was their sempai and got killed off-screen, while Youko is the childhood friend who survived.

Meiavatar
joined Feb 9, 2017

I've always found the way Ogino Jun does eyes is, well arresting. They really catch my attention. I enjoyed the one-shot so lets see how things go.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

random posted:

so since the kaiju are human, doesn't that just mean they are going to keep fighting till everyone is dead? and wouldn't that also mean when a kaiju kills one of them someone on their side also dies? calling it now the kaiju are the good guys

It's explicitly stated only some people share an astral body with someone in the "other world" (though how the Organisation knows/has inferred this is not touched upon) - if everyone did then their invasion methodology would be pretty amazingly callous, since from what we've seen it basically amounts to (attempted) unleashing of living engines of indiscriminate mayhem into densely populated areas.

The obvious corollary of which is that should it be successful metric fucktons of their own people (potentially including members of such leadership as there exists) would promptly drop dead as the Kaiju goes Godzilla on a city...

According to the explanation given in this chapter, I don't think that'd be the case. It sounds like someone dying in either world doesn't affect the other one but one of them dying inside the wall affects the other one due to proximity. So a kaijuu getting through might slaughter a ton of people here but wouldn't affect those in their own world. And Haruka dying inside the wall should mean that her alternate in the other world, if it existed, is also dead.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

^ Amusingly enough, the rampage would be stopped if the kaijuu killed their own astral partner here.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

I thought it since chapter 1, but this is pretty much literally Bleach with Yuri.
That's not a complaint mind you, Bleach is my GOAT manga, but I find the striking similarities to be... well striking. Is the author of this a former assistant of Kubo's, or a friend or just an inspired fan? I'd be interested to know if they're intentional because there are so many parallels it would be odd if it was coincidental.

And I know the skimpy cover pages of the girls are meant to be fanservice (Which I don't have a problem with) but the way the author does their torn clothing is kinda triggering my trypophobia. ʕ ͡° ʖ̯ ͡°ʔ

Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

I'm fine with the big tits, but I honestly didin't expect Yorino to end up that stacked too.

Phone
joined Oct 7, 2017

those aren't even boobs anymore, they're literally helium balloons in every manner of description. seriously off-putting

Eldmbwaw4amteza
joined Nov 22, 2019

So the kaijuu are basically evangelions without armor. What if theyre looking for the "pure bloods" to initiate a Third Impact like event that reunites the two worlds?

joined Mar 24, 2011

"pure bloods"

Semmelporös - Harriet Potter and the Helium Balloons!

Qndkfwtexmw51%20-%20kopie
joined May 20, 2014

People getting triggered by the boobs lol. It's Ogino Jun, what did you expect? I think how he draws them is amusing.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Wouldn't it be possible for a bastioner to kill themselves?

I semi enjoy this series (excluding the excessive balloon breasts) but I feel like it’s going wayyy too fast. There could have been a build up to us finding out she killed her sister in a more dramatic way, and her deciding so quickly that she’s going to keep killing people was way too quick. It feels like a series of one shots and not a series. Maybe it’s just me? But that’s my take on this.

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

Bro I swear this foreshadowing is scaring me...

Pero01
joined Apr 1, 2014

I was asking myself the same thing.

last edited at Apr 24, 2020 8:20PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I don't really why they couldn't. They're humans like everyone else. I even suspect that the end will be thatone of the Kaijuu will be one the MC and the pother had to kill it.

joined Mar 8, 2016

It should be exceedingly rare that you would end up killing yourself, or even someone you know - I mean, assuming the "astral pairs" are roughly limited to the geography of the major cities they work in that's still millions of people in each zone. And although they haven't clarified the percentage of people without a pair, that should lower it even further (even though they seem to be leaning pretty hard on the "1 kill there = 1 kill here every time" angst.) That said, in manga There Are No Coincidences (tm).

That's already way more analysis than this deserves, though. Gamma was way better as a story, even if this has more explicit yuri at the start. And, I've been nothing but on the record as liking big boobs but these aren't even well-drawn big boobs. They completely defy all physical logic. Plus, ok, I can maybe accept that one character is freakishly slim and stacked, but like... every one? And no one notices that a bunch of middle school girls all look like Hitomi Tanaka clones?

TBH I don't feel like Ogino Jun really has his heart in this story. I think he did the old "this + that" sales pitch to an editor (It's Attack on Titan, but with yuri!) without much beyond the hook, and is really just making the barest framework of story needed to draw some busty girls from fetishy angles. (Seriously, do you know any women who at all moments of the day are standing so that you can see their ass and tits at the same time?) And hey, not everything needs to be a masterpiece. It's a little too trashy for me as a serious story - it would be better if it was just an H-manga honestly.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I even suspect that the end will be thatone of the Kaijuu will be one the MC and the pother had to kill it.

Definitely smells of that, doesn't it ...

Surprisingly the organization doesn't seem to be evil. Or at least not sinister-mysterious-secretive to the point where they didn't tell her that she killed her own sister. Of course that might also be part of a Plan(tm), but they seem genuine about it.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

It certainly doesn't seem impossible, although with Youko's sister already having had heart problems long before her death, it could mean that (stronger) kaijuu have links to weaker people on this side. We'll see...

joined Jun 25, 2017

This is actually really really good.

joined Jul 26, 2016

It should certainly be possible for Bastioners and equally Kaiju to commit accidental Mutual Kills through the dimensional doubling linkage, seeing as how the connection ought to be at full force in the interval zone, but in practice the small combatant numbers involved - particularly on the latter side - ought to render the practical probability low enough to be essentially irrelevant. If anything whenever it happened it should be to the Bastioners' advantage anyway as their combat power is altogether more widely dispersed among multiple fighters; compare a Kaiju suddenly dropping dead after swatting a Bastioner to vise versa in terms of immediate tactical impact.

Fb_img_1557642301687
joined Aug 12, 2013

I know it's been said several times already, but damn, those breasts are ridiculous. I am enjoying the action and Gantz-AoT-Bleach-Evangelion vibes, but the exaggerated breasts are so annoying. It's too bad, because the artist does an amazing job with facial expressions and everything else. The close up of Yorino's face and especially eyes after every time she thinks of Haruka, ugh, it guts me.

TheAlmightyUltimus
Hyper%20kabuto
joined Oct 30, 2018

I was admittedly a bit iffy on this for the first chapter, but five in and I can say with certainty I'm liking it so far.

And I still need to get around to reading Gamma

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo
joined Apr 24, 2014

I was hesitant to read this at first, but damn that was good

joined Feb 18, 2015

If you consider that every time a Kaiju is killed between the walls the paired partner on the Bastioner's side of the worldline split also dies, it would make sense to say that the same is true of Bastioner's killed between the walls. So that would suggest that, in the battle where Yuuko's sister died, with the ending of: "All targets eliminated at 7:42 PM. Two survivors confirmed out of 16 deployed." There were 14 people in the other worldline who spontaneously died during that battle and ONE who died who was not an active participant in combat. So, presuming that the other side has figured out what is going on between the walls, you would think they wouldn't keep killing themselves...

Has there been any statement about what the cost of the second wall being breached is?

joined Jul 26, 2016

If you consider that every time a Kaiju is killed between the walls the paired partner on the Bastioner's side of the worldline split also dies, it would make sense to say that the same is true of Bastioner's killed between the walls. So that would suggest that, in the battle where Yuuko's sister died, with the ending of: "All targets eliminated at 7:42 PM. Two survivors confirmed out of 16 deployed." There were 14 people in the other worldline who spontaneously died during that battle and ONE who died who was not an active participant in combat. So, presuming that the other side has figured out what is going on between the walls, you would think they wouldn't keep killing themselves...

The term used was "many", implying "not everyone" - though apparently all the Kaiju "pilots" are such doubles for whatever reason. But then there's been no indication the Organisation can actually detect whether someone has a parallel double anyway so they're probably just guessing based on verfiable synchronised deaths...

And given their MO and persistence - as this conflict has apparently been going on for generations - the "other side" can be assumed to not give a flying fuck about their losses, anyway. Why they're so dogged, or trying to invade in the first place, is a big question mark and presumably will be important sooner or later.

Has there been any statement about what the cost of the second wall being breached is?

This is literally all we have to go by so far. No word on whether that's based on past experience or pure speculation, either - or if it's not just a vague claim made to convey how important it is to stop the Kaiju in the interval zone for that matter.

To reply you must either login or sign up.