Forum › Semelparous discussion

joined Feb 22, 2018

Seeing a lot of good comparisons to other things here: AoT (friend crushed like Eren's mother, fighting giant humanoids while flying through the air with blades), Pacific Rim (two people required to fight kaiju), and Bleach (people with supernatural abilities tasked with defeating otherworldly beings in order to save humanity). I like the idea of combining those elements and it sounds even better if you add some yuri to it. Despite my misgivings about chapter 1 I really do have high hopes for this series.

With a few things from Bokurano (fighting a parallel world, with fatal consequences)

joined Jan 11, 2018

So what's the odds she encounters herself or her partner from the other world?

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

Semelparous: Lifeform that only reproduces once before dying.

That means lesbians are safe from becoming Kaijuus?

Gay%20cum
joined Jul 16, 2013

What a twist!

Exlkqqju0aejg_x-orig
joined Apr 30, 2019

Meh I waited so long for a continuation and this happens, I did not like the change of his partner :/

joined Feb 24, 2019

Four chapters in and I'm still interested. It still hasn't blown me away yet and it feels pretty fast paced, but the story is interesting and the characters are...well, not really the focus at the moment. I still have high hopes even though I doubt I'll find it as satisfying as the one-shot.

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

I want to like this but I can’t get past the breast size exaggeration lol

joined Feb 18, 2015

It's where all that excess Aegis energy is stored in these superpowered women. You should see the size of the men's ...

last edited at Apr 23, 2020 6:56PM

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

Right? I seem to remember it being a thing in the original version way back where one of the girls had big but reasonable boobs asked the other was pretty standard/small, so the artist can do that kind of thing it just seems like they don’t want to. It’s off-putting.

Which is crazy, because if you’re just doing it as a thing to be sexy or whatever, you lose all sense of reality and physicality when everyone universally has boobs bigger than their head. I just don’t understand why this is a thing.

Snapdragon beans
Screen%20shot%202018-12-15%20at%202.44.04%20am
joined Oct 27, 2018

I also can't get over the breast sizes. It just feels exaggerated, and not at all how breasts even work. It feels out of place in this manga, as if the author is trying to use sex appeal to bring in readers...

joined Feb 22, 2018

I also can't get over the breast sizes. It just feels exaggerated, and not at all how breasts even work. It feels out of place in this manga, as if the author is trying to use sex appeal to bring in readers...

In other words, it's an Ogino Jun manga. That's their fetish.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Reasonably interesting, and doesn't seem to be hewing to the Shingeki model too closely. I just wish the boobs weren't so ridiculous :/

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

Do you want to fall into Hell with me?

That's definitely one of the best pickup lines I've heard.

I said before in the Each Other Guardians' forum page discussion thing that I was disappointed that most action yuri out there appears to be ecchi... and I will say it again here. At least we got stuff like Flip Flappers and Princess Principal in the interim though.

Steam-community-screenshot-dream-team-demon,-witch-
joined Nov 15, 2016

Tbh it would be better without the giant breasts

Bd-9rivccaa0cut
joined Aug 10, 2015

Dang... yeah after giving it a full read now, I’m not a fan of this at all. The idea is kinda interesting? But then the breast sizes... I thought maybe I was being a prude or something, but seeing it’s a problem for more people, I feel a bit better about my issue with it lol.

It’s super distracting when trying to set up something that’s supposed to be somewhat serious.
It’s weird too, I didn’t really have a problem with the art in previous works, and the one shot was pretty tame overall having re-read it... but the sizes here are insane. That, and I really really just liked the setup of the one-shot far better.

Anyhow, won’t stank up the discussion with my thoughts after this. Might revisit later to see if my opinion changes, but overall just not my cup of tea.

I really wonder why Ogino made that change. I really liked where the one-shot left off, and the setup in general. This feels kinda... Expected? Usual? Not to down it per say, I'm going to follow it... But it seemed like an unnecessary change.

But, I'm going to trust the author on this one since I've liked their work. Just really super curious about that as a writer myself, I guess.

I think it is for the purpose of plot line content and character development, I guess the childhood friends route would have simplified the series and made a very monotonous theme if we were going to be reading several chapters of this story. I'm just guessing though.

I think that’s a fair point, but Iono’, seemed like there was potential to just tell more of that story between them rather than erase that angle. It wasn’t just flat-out doomed to be monotonous. But, to be fair, might’ve just wanted to do a “what if” version , or maybe this is the story they would have told with more space than a one-shot.

It’s interesting to think about, and even if I prefer the one shot, this isn’t without it’s merits.

I do fully admit that I much preferred the relationship between two equals as well. I definitely have a “childhood friends” bias, heh.

last edited at Apr 23, 2020 11:01PM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

If killing a kaijuu in within the wall kills their counterpart in our world, shouldn't they figure a way to fight the kaijuu on the other side?

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

From my understanding the same thing would probably happen even if they tried that. There's also the fact that would have to find a way to cross over to the other world first.

joined Feb 24, 2019

If killing a kaijuu in within the wall kills their counterpart in our world, shouldn't they figure a way to fight the kaijuu on the other side?

At some point they'll have to cross over into the other world, right? There's no way they can win this battle if they stay on the defensive and I can't think of any other way to deal with the threat. But the big question is still why is the other world invading in the first place?

pumpkinmonster
Ea068ec8502133f96ff1a1123008a767
joined Mar 26, 2020

attack on titan but yuri!

Cybelle
joined Nov 21, 2019

If a kaijuu dies inside the wall and it kills a person, does that mean Haruka dying killed a kaijuu because she died inside the wall?

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

This shit is right up my alley, I knew I was gonna like where it was going. I like Oginos sci-fi world building, it's simple enough to not get too convoluted so far. I'm not sure when this one was published but the art looks improved its detailed and clean AF, always a fan of the character design (I'm fine with the oversized boobs, its kinda trope now in action manga/anime and I bet they have fun drawing them or something)
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/semelparous_ch03#28
Sasageyou intensifies

Th
joined Aug 6, 2014

That scarf must be filthy.

Ava%20baby
joined May 5, 2013

If a kaijuu dies inside the wall and it kills a person, does that mean Haruka dying killed a kaijuu because she died inside the wall?

I hope that not, otherwise we need the Dragon Ball to get Haruka back.

I like so far, even though they are big I am not that bothered by the giant breast, I just don't pay attention.

Pfp
joined Aug 12, 2017

Trying to tell a semi-serious story with fanservice up the ass, yeah ok.

joined Jan 5, 2020

Boobs that big just tell you a dumb guy did the art. They’re not sexy thanks to the hardware you need to strap them in place and no one having to fighting as athletically as these girls would ever want to have tits so cartoonishly huge. Sometimes I think guys who insist on this sort of thing should try having a quart of liquid injected into their balls and made to run a mile in loose boxers with no support so they can have some idea of how terrible an idea it is. Or tape some appropriately sized water balloons to their chests with good strong duct tape for that mile.

I get the fetish for balloon tits, I guess, but I can’t get it for the action genre. I mean, when they’re that big they affect the movement of your arms and throw off your balance since you’re epically top heavy.

To reply you must either login or sign up.