Forum › Citrus + discussion

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I'll probably come under fire for this, but I'd argue that Bloom Into You's last volume, or at least after Yuu confessed to Touko, was a dip in storytelling. Not that it was bad, but that it was boring and absolute nothingness.

If you listen extremely closely, you can hear the sound of all the blood in my body boiling.

last edited at Mar 22, 2020 3:59PM

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

but name one long-running series in history that didn't have a major dip in storytelling at some point.

3 examples come immediately to mind: Bloom Into You, Girl in the Birdcage, Her Shim Cheong.

Haven't read Girl in the Birdcage, but you're at least right so far about Her Shim Cheong. Though I'd say we can only be sure when the translations catch up.

I'll probably come under fire for this, but I'd argue that Bloom Into You's last volume, or at least after Yuu confessed to Touko, was a dip in storytelling. Not that it was bad, but that it was boring and absolute nothingness.

AHHHHH ok I wanted to say for "Her Shim Cheong" I had to switch from English translations to Korean when they stopped translating the manhwa. I got an app and bought the chapters. And I AM MORE THAN CAPABLE OF TRANSLATING THE CHAPTERS AND CAN EVEN USE PHOTOSHOP AND ILLUSTRATOR TO PUT THE TRANSLATIONS IN.

Except I don't know where to upload it or how to share it. Are either of you interested in reading the rest of the manhwa?

last edited at Mar 22, 2020 4:00PM

Rsz_file_000
joined May 20, 2019

If you listen extremely closely, you can hear the sound of all the blood in my body boiling.

Well that's me when people shit talk Mei, so welcome to my world.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

welcome to my world.

bad imitation of Geralt of Livia's voice: Hmmm................. Fuck.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

but name one long-running series in history that didn't have a major dip in storytelling at some point.

3 examples come immediately to mind: Bloom Into You, Girl in the Birdcage, Her Shim Cheong.

Haven't read Girl in the Birdcage, but you're at least right so far about Her Shim Cheong. Though I'd say we can only be sure when the translations catch up.

AHHHHH ok I wanted to say for "Her Shim Cheong" I had to switch from English translations to Korean when they stopped translating the manhwa. I got an app and bought the chapters. And I AM MORE THAN CAPABLE OF TRANSLATING THE CHAPTERS AND CAN EVEN USE PHOTOSHOP AND ILLUSTRATOR TO PUT THE TRANSLATIONS IN.

Except I don't know where to upload it or how to share it. Are either of you interested in reading the rest of the manhwa?

I'm definitely more than interested, but I think it can't be uploaded here because it was licensed. Something like wdtfs. Only pirate sites like mangadex etc upload it. But since the translators stopped because of the license situation, these sites don't have anywhere to get the english version from. The official English chapters are really slow too.

last edited at Mar 22, 2020 5:35PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I also agree that the last arc was poorly written. It's a major flaw in the overall story, but name one long-running series in history that didn't have a major dip in storytelling at some point. I also believe that Citrus+ has been doing a great job of making up for all the problems that Volume 10 caused. If the last arc was a big poorly-written reset button, then Citrus+ is working hard to be the best darn reset it can possibly be, and to great effect In my opinion.

There was no reason the author even needed a second series to make up for the enormous plot gaps in the first one except her own ineptitude and time-wasting in the main series (like that interminable fireworks festival, the big payoff for which was???).

This was an immensely popular series, and I've never heard that Saburouta was pressured to end it quickly or to make it anything other than she wanted it to be. Saburouta's pretty good at creating individiual scenes (especially comic ones) at times, but has demonstrated herself to be quite hopeless at long-term plotting and very erratic with characterization.

And the major flaw in the characterization is that the author clearly had no idea what to do with Mei and Yuzu's relationship from the point where the two of them agreed to move forward together (Chapter 24, if I recall correctly). So we immediately launched into the amusing but completely irrelevant Shirapon business, and then a bunch of wandering around with various characters, and also a bunch of artificial reasons for Yuzu and Mei to not communicate with one another (like Yuzu's part-time job) even though they sleep together in the same bed. Meanwhile, Mei gets more and more withdrawn until she's practically catatonic, then is taken entirely offstage until the final moments of the series.

After the initial chapters had set the stage and until that preposterous final "arranged-marriage" arc, the only dynamic between Mei and Yuzu that the author seemed to be capable of conceiving was Mei fending off Yuzu, Yuzu apologizing to Mei for various things, and Mei coming out with some outburst of affection/desire that was then immediately tamped down again.

I'll say it again: Mei was always my favorite character, not as an imaginary human being I could project myself onto, but as a source of narrative and thematic possibilities for developing the premises of the story that the series had set out in its opening chapters. My criticism of the character has nothing to do with liking or disliking that imaginary human being; it's about seeing a potentially interesting fictional construct very poorly served by its creator.

last edited at Mar 22, 2020 9:21PM

Rsz_file_000
joined May 20, 2019

I also agree that the last arc was poorly written. It's a major flaw in the overall story, but name one long-running series in history that didn't have a major dip in storytelling at some point. I also believe that Citrus+ has been doing a great job of making up for all the problems that Volume 10 caused. If the last arc was a big poorly-written reset button, then Citrus+ is working hard to be the best darn reset it can possibly be, and to great effect In my opinion.

There was no reason the author even needed a second series to make up for the enormous plot gaps in the first one except her own ineptitude and time-wasting in the main series (like that interminable fireworks festival, the big payoff for which was???).

This was an immensely popular series, and I've never heard that Saburouta was pressured to end it quickly or to make it anything other than she wanted it to be. Saburouta's pretty good at creating individiual scenes (especially comic ones) at times, but has demonstrated herself to be quite hopeless at long-term plotting and very erratic with characterization.

And the major flaw in the characterization is that the author clearly had no idea what to do with Mei and Yuzu's relationship from the point where the two of them agreed to move forward together (Chapter 24, if I recall correctly). So we immediately launched into the amusing but completely irrelevant Shirapon business, and then a bunch of wandering around with various characters, and also a bunch of artificial reasons for Yuzu and Mei to not communicate with one another (like Yuzu's part-time job) even though they sleep together in the same bed. Meanwhile, Mei gets more and more withdrawn until she's practically catatonic, then is taken entirely offstage until the final moments of the series.

After the initial chapters had set the stage and until that preposterous final "arranged-marriage" arc, the only dynamic between Mei and Yuzu that the author seemed to be capable of conceiving was Mei fending off Yuzu, Yuzu apologizing to Mei for various things, and Mei coming out with some outburst of affection/desire that was then immediately tamped down again.

I'll say it again: Mei was always my favorite character, not as an imaginary human being I could project myself onto, but as a source of narrative and thematic possibilities for developing the premises of the story that the series had set out in its opening chapters. My criticism of the character has nothing to do with liking or disliking that imaginary human being; it's about seeing a potentially interesting fictional construct very poorly served by its creator.

Look, you don't have to go this far to explain why you don't like Citrus anymore. I've seen almost every comment you've written in this thread and I know your opinion on the series through and through. I think you bring up some good points, and like I said, I agree with you that Volume 10 was a misfire.

But most of what you say about Saburouta and her writing abilities I do not agree with. Everything she threw at Yuzu and Mei was meant to test and challenge their bond and love in some way. Contrived? At times, yes. Compelling? In my opinion, also yes.

You think Citrus+ doesn't have a reason to exist? Fine. Maybe you're right. It doesn't change the fact that the series so far has given me more beautiful moments between one of my favorite yuri couples, and evolved Mei into my favorite character after Volume 10 nearly ruined that. I'll continue to read, enjoy and defend this series, and you're free to continue pointing out its flaws. I'm not gonna endlessly argue with you when I know neither of us will change how we view the series.

That's all I gotta say. Truce?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

That's all I gotta say. Truce?

Sure. Sorry to waste your time.

joined Jan 17, 2020

and also a bunch of artificial reasons for Yuzu and Mei to not communicate with one another (like Yuzu's part-time job) even though they sleep together in the same bed.

Can we continue to criticize the series though? lol
Because this point right here, the fact that they sleep on the same bed every night but there are no scenes since god knows how long of them having sleep-time conversations or any kind of sleep-time sexual tension, is what I cannot and will not ever understand.

The scene I had been waiting for anxiously when Citrus+ started was Mei and Yuzu's first night sleeping again on the same bed when Mei finally returned home. And was that scene shown? Nope. I can't get over Saburouta's lack of storytelling skills.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Can we continue to criticize the series though? lol
Because this point right here, the fact that they sleep on the same bed every night but there are no scenes since god knows how long of them having sleep-time conversations or any kind of sleep-time sexual tension, is what I cannot and will not ever understand.

Did you skip chapter 8 or what

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/citrus_ch08_1#3

Hell, chapter 11 just had them discuss the whole thing with Sayaka just before heading to bed.

last edited at Mar 23, 2020 9:31AM

i want to see mei go apeshit and scalp a bitch

Mei boutta go werewolf

joined Jan 17, 2020

Hell, chapter 11 just had them discuss the whole thing with Sayaka just before heading to bed.

But it's just so awkward! It's not what I meant.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Awkwardness, in my Citrus?! :o

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

You realize they're girls with absolutely zero experience in love and in Mei's case, completely lacking social skills, right?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

You realize they're girls with absolutely zero experience in love and in Mei's case, completely lacking social skills, right?

And who appear to have regressed about 5 years in age/developmental status since Chapter 1.

last edited at Mar 23, 2020 11:06PM

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

I'm definitely more than interested, but I think it can't be uploaded here because it was licensed. Something like wdtfs. Only pirate sites like mangadex etc upload it. But since the translators stopped because of the license situation, these sites don't have anywhere to get the english version from. The official English chapters are really slow too.

Damn that sucks, maybe I'll do the editing and translations and just give it out to people who are interested then. I just really want people to read it more because no one I know seems to know about this series.

Even the highest and most experienced yuri connoisseurs I've met in discord servers aren't familiar with the work and I can't talk about it with anyone TT - TT

Chibi%20raiden%20pfp
joined Jun 17, 2016

ScarletBlood posted:

Man, am I the only one who thought Mei was going to say "There's no way I will sit this one out after seeing a bruise on my girlfriend's head after being punched by a kouhai, whose from student council nonetheless." Man if she ever says that I would have gone straight to my yuri heaven. =w=

Actually if Mei punches or slap that girl back and say "now we're even" I would love Mei unconditionally hahahhaha

WOOOWW I WOULD REALLY LOVE TO SEE THAT HAPPEN OWO

HonestYuriHawk
joined Apr 5, 2018

Also, Mei continues to be my favorite character. She's grown so much and is trying to face a problem together with Yuzu for the first time since the election arc. I can't wait to see how she deals with Sayaka.

Yea seeing her give such a nice response saying that they will solve the issue together was pretty moving.

How exciting—Mei and Yuzu are determined to move bravely forward together, putting them in the same position they were in, (checks notes) 37 chapters ago.

If the train keeps moving at this rate, I may need to sit down.

Lol thats fair. I admit it can be a bit painful at times but I never had any major complaints personally. I'm just here for the ride and the drama and romance. Hopefully seeing what looks to be real progress though makes you happy.

No new chapter this month, but there will be one next month along with Volume 2.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Huh. They actually smooched. Neat.

joined Feb 23, 2016

Well that was super cute!! Nd no clue why we got that chapter all over again, but that credit end hurt tho xD i forgot about that lol

last edited at May 17, 2020 6:06AM

Lumg21
joined Jan 6, 2020

And there it is, was a nice little bonus when I came across it in the volume release.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Dammit, Saburouta, stop hiding their kisses in bonus chapters...

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Page 03 of the Content bonus <333333333333

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

I know i'm not the only one that thought they were finally going to do it, but then again this was an unexpected treat, certainty what I needed to start my day today.

last edited at May 17, 2020 11:39AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.