Forum › Citrus + discussion

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

Wait, are you telling me, after so long, they're finally going to work together on something and act more than cohabiting acquaintances? lmao

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Also, Mei continues to be my favorite character. She's grown so much and is trying to face a problem together with Yuzu for the first time since the election arc. I can't wait to see how she deals with Sayaka.

Yea seeing her give such a nice response saying that they will solve the issue together was pretty moving.

How exciting—Mei and Yuzu are determined to move bravely forward together, putting them in the same position they were in, (checks notes) 37 chapters ago.

If the train keeps moving at this rate, I may need to sit down.

You really can't let us have nice things, can you? I get it, you don't like Mei. You can at least refrain from mocking those who do like her.

Also, when Mei said that to Yuzu the first time, she wasn't being honest. Because she knew, or rather believed, at some point she would have to leave Yuzu to marry her fiancé and live up to her responsibilities. Now that she's found a new path, her declaration to work together with Yuzu is truthful this time.

Even if you don't see it that way, let me see it that way. Let me have my own opinion without passive-aggressively telling me I'm dumb.

You’re taking this ludicrously personally—it’s not that I “don’t like Mei,” because Mei doesn’t actually exist. What I’m mocking is not you (go ahead and thrill to any supposed development to your heart’s content) but Saburouta’s ridiculously inconsistent writing and glacial pacing.

Far from disliking her, I’ve always thought Mei was the only truly interesting character in the series (Yuzu is likable, but hardly interesting). What I’ve disliked is the botch job the author has made of her characterization, with Mei’s behavior at any given point based on the needs of a rather wandering and unfocused plot rather than on a plausible simulation of an actual human being.

Readers have worked far harder at rationalizing Mei’s actions and attitudes than the author ever did.

last edited at Mar 21, 2020 9:58AM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Romanticizing abusive relationships again. Poor Sayaka, it's not like she just punched someone on the face because of her immense insecurities and internalized homophobia, let's try to help her now too.
Because abusers have reasons for their actions, so let's try to understand them, help and fix them while suffering and while they don't even want the help.

last edited at Mar 21, 2020 12:55PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

Romanticizing abusive relationships again. Poor Sayaka, it's not like she just punched someone on the face because of her immense insecurities and internalized homophobia, let's try to help her now too.
Because abusers have reasons for their actions, so let's try to understand them, help and fix them while suffering and while they don't even want the help.

...how the heck is it an "abusive relationship" when the violence was directed at an outside party. (That said third party decided to not take offense is their business.) The tensions within the relationship are of a completely different character.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

...how the heck is it an "abusive relationship" when the violence was directed at an outside party. (That said third party decided to not take offense is their business.) The tensions within the relationship are of a completely different character.

It's not a "direct" relationship, it's the idea that Yuzu will start becoming friends with Sayaka, and Sayaka is presented as someone we should feel sorry for instead of staying away.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Plus, Matsuri did everything on her power to get Sayaka pissed enough to get punched by her. She just never expected Yuzu to throw herself in the middle.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Plus, Matsuri did everything on her power to get Sayaka pissed enough to get punched by her. She just never expected Yuzu to throw herself in the middle.

This. Sayaka wasn't even trying to punch Yuzu in the first place, and while her violently losing her shit at Matsuri is hardly commendable behaviour it can't exactly be claimed to have been unprovoked as the latter was going out of her way way to push her buttons.

Not seeing how snapping under deliberate provocation is somehow grounds for declaring Sayaka an irredeemably abusive person. Anger management issues perhaps, but Yuzu's whole goal is to try fixing her obvious stress problems anyway.

joined Dec 9, 2014

Not seeing how snapping under deliberate provocation is somehow grounds for declaring Sayaka an irredeemably abusive person. Anger management issues perhaps, but Yuzu's whole goal is to try fixing her obvious stress problems anyway.

Lol. Straight up punching someone because they faked being flirty with someone you don't even date is a major red flag. The other girl didn't even care about it. That's exactly what an abusive bf of one of my friends did. Guess what. He later was abusive to his gf too. It was Sayaka's sick jealousy, which irl slowly manifests into abuse.
Of course this won't happen here though, cause it's a story and real life rules don't have to apply.

I just hate how this type of sick jealousy getting romanticized and influencing some readers into thinking it's normal and that means the person must really love them. It would be easier to spot it if the story was with a guy doing it for a girl.
Also how Yuzu is portrayed. She just got punched, was threatened about her relationship with Mei, yet she doesn't even care about it, instead she goes "wow poor girl must be suffering so much". And this behavior is portrayed as something positive.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Sayaka didn't lash out of jealousy, she lashed out of fear to both being outed by Matsuri and watching her precious Miyabi being "soiled" by Matsuri.

last edited at Mar 21, 2020 6:24PM

Rsz_file_000
joined May 20, 2019

Also, Mei continues to be my favorite character. She's grown so much and is trying to face a problem together with Yuzu for the first time since the election arc. I can't wait to see how she deals with Sayaka.

Yea seeing her give such a nice response saying that they will solve the issue together was pretty moving.

How exciting—Mei and Yuzu are determined to move bravely forward together, putting them in the same position they were in, (checks notes) 37 chapters ago.

If the train keeps moving at this rate, I may need to sit down.

You really can't let us have nice things, can you? I get it, you don't like Mei. You can at least refrain from mocking those who do like her.

Also, when Mei said that to Yuzu the first time, she wasn't being honest. Because she knew, or rather believed, at some point she would have to leave Yuzu to marry her fiancé and live up to her responsibilities. Now that she's found a new path, her declaration to work together with Yuzu is truthful this time.

Even if you don't see it that way, let me see it that way. Let me have my own opinion without passive-aggressively telling me I'm dumb.

You’re taking this ludicrously personally—it’s not that I “don’t like Mei,” because Mei doesn’t actually exist. What I’m mocking is not you (go ahead and thrill to any supposed development to your heart’s content) but Saburouta’s ridiculously inconsistent writing and glacial pacing.

Far from disliking her, I’ve always thought Mei was the only truly interesting character in the series (Yuzu is likable, but hardly interesting). What I’ve disliked is the botch job the author has made of her characterization, with Mei’s behavior at any given point based on the needs of a rather wandering and unfocused plot rather than on a plausible simulation of an actual human being.

Readers have worked far harder at rationalizing Mei’s actions and attitudes than the author ever did.

You're right, I did take that way too personally. I assumed you were deliberately calling me out because you quoted my post, and I got caught up in the moment. I'm sorry.

Maybe I'm just overlooking something, but I've read Citrus many times and every time dug as deep as I could into Mei's character, and try as I might, I can't find any of these "inconsistencies" you talk about. If anything, I love her character more and more upon each read and I've concluded her to be one of the deepest and most complex characters in any Yuri manga. But hey, that's just me.

Your criticisms about the pacing are entirely valid, but honestly don't bother me one bit. I don't mind a slow build-up, even if it's the slowest burn ever made, as long as there's a rewarding payoff. Who knows? Maybe once that payoff is delivered it will be unsatisfactory and my opinion on the story will do a complete 180.

But until that day comes, I say to each their own.

joined Jan 17, 2020

I can't find any of these "inconsistencies" you talk about. If anything, I love her character more and more upon each read and I've concluded her to be one of the deepest and most complex characters in any Yuri manga

lolwut

joined Jan 17, 2020

That's literally Yuzu's life. She's a doormat.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I can't find any of these "inconsistencies" you talk about. If anything, I love her character more and more upon each read and I've concluded her to be one of the deepest and most complex characters in any Yuri manga

lolwut

This one was personal

Rsz_file_000
joined May 20, 2019

lolwut

This one was personal

Does me liking Mei offend you somehow? How dare I enjoy something?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

lolwut

This one was personal

Does me liking Mei offend you somehow? How dare I enjoy something?

You keep doing this—the issue is not your enjoyment, but the reading of the characterization of Mei.

Readers have developed long, elaborate rationalizations for how the confident, forceful class president of the early part of the series became the tongue-tied, trembling cipher of the later chapters, with complex explanations for her erratic behavior, especially towards Yuzu.

The problem is that most of those explanations are reader headcanon, consisting of possible, sometimes plausible, psychological interpretations but based on almost nothing contained in the pages of the text themselves.

last edited at Mar 22, 2020 7:33AM

joined Dec 9, 2014

There is no universal truth when reading a fictional story. There might be some general consensus from the majority, but others are able to interpret and insert their own biases into a character. Because it's a character and not a real person, so there is no objective truth or real motives.

Also, pretty sure that the author thinks Mei is a very deep character as well.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

There is no universal truth when reading a fictional story. There might be some general consensus from the majority, but others are able to interpret and insert their own biases into a character. Because it's a character and not a real person, so there is no objective truth or real motives.

There’s some truth to that, but there’s also the bedrock principle that readings of fiction need to be grounded in specific evidence from the text.

There’s also the principle that hypotheses about interpretive questions can have internal as well as external answers. For instance, there’s the question, “Why did the issue of an arranged marriage for Mei suddenly come up apparently out of nowhere when it seemed to have been taken off the table with the collapse of the engagement to McRapey-sensei?”

Readers have parsed Grandpa’s initial statement about Mei living her own life as being provisional, and they’ve had various explanations for Mei’s failure to bring up the subject of a future marriage being her responsibility to the family during the entire time between then and the big reveal, and they’ve explained Mei’s erratic attitude toward physical intimacy with Yuzu in several different ways. But very few of those theories can be supported by concrete evidence from the text.

The simpler answer, and one that can inferred from the wandering plot of the middle chapters of the series, is that the author was rather desperate for a big final plot arc and returned to an old trope—that the events depicted in the story are not a function of a character’s well-planned, deeply nuanced psychology, but of an author’s haphazard plotting of a series that had been slipping out of control.

The fact that the series went to great lengths to set up a whole array of unanswered questions and apparently insurmountable barriers to Mei and Yuzu ever being together then hand-waved them all away in a single page of silent panels (after spending many pages of action-comedy hijinks just getting Yuzu to the house where Mei was staying) makes the external answer—sloppy writing—much more likely than any theory about psychological depth and nuance.

joined Dec 9, 2014

I personally agree that the writing is bad. But it also seems that the author thinks and wants Mei to be this deep girl, but was/is unable to actually materialize it in a successful way.

On the other hand, when a character is silent and broken, a lot of people automatically connect that with being deep. Imo Mei is just a low eq person with some underlying issues. But maybe some people see this as being deep, which I can see why, and from that point on, I think what is right and wrong for Mei's character comes down to personal biases and tastes because she's just a fictional character. If she was a real person it would be different.
Someone can ignore or not see/care about all these inconsistencies and still like this manga and its characters.

Feels like Sayaka will be the next Mei of the series, but she seems worse. Also I don't think we will ever get an intimate scene between Mei and Yuzu. Maybe the author is holding that back on purpose.

last edited at Mar 22, 2020 9:38AM

Chibi%20raiden%20pfp
joined Jun 17, 2016

Man, am I the only one who thought Mei was going to say "There's no way I will sit this one out after seeing a bruise on my girlfriend's head after being punched by a kouhai, whose from student council nonetheless." Man if she ever says that I would have gone straight to my yuri heaven. =w=

last edited at Mar 22, 2020 10:26AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

ScarletBlood posted:

Man, am I the only one who thought Mei was going to say "There's no way I will sit this one out after seeing a bruise on my girlfriend's head after being punched by a kouhai, whose from student council nonetheless." Man if she ever says that I would have gone straight to my yuri heaven. =w=

Actually if Mei punches or slap that girl back and say "now we're even" I would love Mei unconditionally hahahhaha

joined Mar 8, 2019

The main difference between this and original is that there’s significantly less development in the sexual/physical department.

Citrus+ seems to be more emotionally motivated, or at the very least it’s trying to be.

But like original Citrus this suffers from slow pacing. I hope + won’t suffer from overused tropes, which became repetitive, like it’s predecessor.

And I don’t want to blame editors and publishing houses but they do put significant pressure on authors in regards to their work so just blaming Saburouta about all the problems with previous Citrus might be unfair.

Rsz_file_000
joined May 20, 2019

There’s some truth to that, but there’s also the bedrock principle that readings of fiction need to be grounded in specific evidence from the text.

There’s also the principle that hypotheses about interpretive questions can have internal as well as external answers. For instance, there’s the question, “Why did the issue of an arranged marriage for Mei suddenly come up apparently out of nowhere when it seemed to have been taken off the table with the collapse of the engagement to McRapey-sensei?”

Readers have parsed Grandpa’s initial statement about Mei living her own life as being provisional, and they’ve had various explanations for Mei’s failure to bring up the subject of a future marriage being her responsibility to the family during the entire time between then and the big reveal, and they’ve explained Mei’s erratic attitude toward physical intimacy with Yuzu in several different ways. But very few of those theories can be supported by concrete evidence from the text.

The simpler answer, and one that can inferred from the wandering plot of the middle chapters of the series, is that the author was rather desperate for a big final plot arc and returned to an old trope—that the events depicted in the story are not a function of a character’s well-planned, deeply nuanced psychology, but of an author’s haphazard plotting of a series that had been slipping out of control.

The fact that the series went to great lengths to set up a whole array of unanswered questions and apparently insurmountable barriers to Mei and Yuzu ever being together then hand-waved them all away in a single page of silent panels (after spending many pages of action-comedy hijinks just getting Yuzu to the house where Mei was staying) makes the external answer—sloppy writing—much more likely than any theory about psychological depth and nuance.

I also agree that the last arc was poorly written. It's a major flaw in the overall story, but name one long-running series in history that didn't have a major dip in storytelling at some point. I also believe that Citrus+ has been doing a great job of making up for all the problems that Volume 10 caused. If the last arc was a big poorly-written reset button, then Citrus+ is working hard to be the best darn reset it can possibly be, and to great effect In my opinion.

You say my rationalization of Mei's behavior comes from "theories" and not actual evidence from the text. Well, where do you think I get the basis for those theories? From reading Citrus several times and finding evidence to back up my supposedly incorrect interpretation of Saburouta's bad writing.

However, what it all comes down to is my personal enjoyment. I know I keep repeating that, but I like enjoying things even if they're flawed. Does me, in your words, rationalizing inconsistent character behavior and sloppy writing mean I get to enjoy something I like? Then I will gladly continue to be wrong ¯_(ツ)_/¯

joined Jan 17, 2020

but name one long-running series in history that didn't have a major dip in storytelling at some point.

3 examples come immediately to mind: Bloom Into You, Girl in the Birdcage, Her Shim Cheong.

Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

i want to see mei go apeshit and scalp a bitch

Rsz_file_000
joined May 20, 2019

but name one long-running series in history that didn't have a major dip in storytelling at some point.

3 examples come immediately to mind: Bloom Into You, Girl in the Birdcage, Her Shim Cheong.

Haven't read Girl in the Birdcage, but you're at least right so far about Her Shim Cheong. Though I'd say we can only be sure when the translations catch up.

I'll probably come under fire for this, but I'd argue that Bloom Into You's last volume, or at least after Yuu confessed to Touko, was a dip in storytelling. Not that it was bad, but that it was boring and absolute nothingness.

To reply you must either login or sign up.