Forum › Even Though We're Adults discussion

joined Dec 5, 2019

Every chapter of this breathtakingly rendered slow-motion trainwreck leaves me needing more. This was definitely not a virtuous, or even smart, move by the husband, but you have to figure...he is probably desperate to talk about this to somebody, and - in typical male fashion - if he has any other male friends, he would probably not be comfortable admitting to any of them that his wife cheated on him, let alone with a woman.

And something else: he probably expects his sister-in-law to relish having something "over" a family member and would turn on Aya, because that's what would happen in HIS family. It doesn't occur to him that, push come to shove, she'll side with supporting her sister.

Why does everybody think the husband is a bad guy? Honestly, though, he seems like the most decent person out of the three. He loves Ayano and wants her to be happy, he's always talked to her and asked her what she wants, then Ayano fucked up bad and he's even trying to cope with it somehow. He hasn't given me one reason to dislike him.

what he did this chapter was pretty shitty I think, if ayano wanted to talk with her sister she would, and he knew that she didn't say anything to Kaede, he went as far as being all cryptic and sending her to the bar for shock value, if he just wanted to talk to someone he would have been streightforward with Kaede and just tell her what it was. Maybe he didn't act sooner because he couldn't believe or he was a bit of a coward to break up or get mad over it, but I think this first act of passive agressiveness from him won't be the last

4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

I literally had a bit of a panic attack reading this chapter, like the sort I get when having a difficult conversation with someone.

Anyway, this manga is great and fucked up and great.

joined Apr 1, 2017

The husband is being a passive-aggressive shit. Instead of just letting it end at there was an affair, he goes out of his way to sick his wife's sister after the "homewrecker", when he could have just left it alone now that he believes they wouldn't be meeting again. It comes across as him being petty, and wanting to punish his wife as much as possible by bringing her family into it. He's not a bad guy, but if he actually wants to make the relationship work, that isn't the best approach. Of course I doubt either wants this relationship to continue, and I doubt they've even been having sex in the last few years.

last edited at Dec 30, 2019 11:46PM

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

The husband is being a passive-aggressive shit. Instead of just letting it end at there was an affair, he goes out of his way to sick his wife's sister after the "homewrecker", when he could have just left it alone now that he believes they wouldn't be meeting again. It comes across as him being petty, and wanting to punish his wife as much as possible by bringing her family into it.

Well, Ayano doesn't seem to wanna keep it a secret from anybody either way. The husband only spoke about it at all because Ayano had already told her sister about the affair. Ayano was the one to bring her family into it, so how is this punishing his wife?

He's not a bad guy, but if he actually wants to make the relationship work, that isn't the best approach.

Like I said, I don't think he's going for that. He said in a previous chapter that he had no idea what to do in this kind of situation. He's probably just confused about what's going on and whether his marriage will fall apart or not.

Of course I doubt either wants this relationship to continue, and I doubt they've even been having sex in the last few years.

Bit of a stretch, don't you think? Because honestly, though, Ayano did seem to care about her husband before meeting Akari.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

I really love this series. It feels extremely grounded and not full of convenient stereotypes (evil boyfriend, etc.)

That being said.

HONEY, NO! YOU'RE TOO GOOD FOR HER T.T

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

Suddenly, I feel sick about the husband. I don't get why he did that: telling sis-in-law to go see his "rival". But I'll just wait for the developments.

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

Chapter 7 summary: Fuck yo husband. Jk, come over n bang me instead xoxo

Also, the husband irks me

last edited at Dec 31, 2019 1:02AM

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Ah, this piece lays on the PERFECT amount of drama.
Not too overbearing. Not too subtle. It's a fine flavor like an aged wine.
Keeps you coming back for more.

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

I don't sense any malice from the husband, either. Him sending Ayano's sister to the bar seems to be a genuine attempt to explain a situation he doesn't fully understand, himself.

Upon learning of the situation, Ayano's sister makes all the assumptions of a heterosexual affair. Seeing her make these assumptions, Ayano's husband gives her the address to the bar and the hint to Akari. I read it more as a "she should see for herself, and come to her own conclusions" sort of move. The cryptic instructions were designed to try and have the sister experience the same shock and confusion that he (and maybe even Ayano) experienced upon discovering Ayano's feelings for another woman.

last edited at Dec 31, 2019 11:00AM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

You also have to keep in mind his situation is pretty goddamned frustrating. His mom dragged them both back to live at home and is insisting they should just ignore what happened. He knows his wife is going through a serious identity crisis. I think he suspects that she's gay. From his perspective, he may not want it to be true, but a lot of things about their relationship are probably adding up in his mind. The laid-back nature of it, the way they're more like best friends than lovers, the way she does't really seem to cherish their wedding rings. So when her sister starts on "how could she do this?" I think he wants her to understand that it's more complicated than she's assuming it is.

last edited at Dec 31, 2019 2:17AM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

(Random side thought, how much you wanna bet Ayano doesn't bother unpacking most of her boxes after the move?)

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

The thing is, the decisions and reactions of the characters in this manga really seem like something people would make if they were trying to sensible in the middle of a confusing and frustrating situation
And regardless of situations we all end up doing something dumb or rash regardless of intention when we have no idea or goal in mind

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Every chapter of this breathtakingly rendered slow-motion trainwreck leaves me needing more. This was definitely not a virtuous, or even smart, move by the husband, but you have to figure...he is probably desperate to talk about this to somebody, and - in typical male fashion - if he has any other male friends, he would probably not be comfortable admitting to any of them that his wife cheated on him, let alone with a woman.

And something else: he probably expects his sister-in-law to relish having something "over" a family member and would turn on Aya, because that's what would happen in HIS family. It doesn't occur to him that, push come to shove, she'll side with supporting her sister.

Why does everybody think the husband is a bad guy? Honestly, though, he seems like the most decent person out of the three. He loves Ayano and wants her to be happy, he's always talked to her and asked her what she wants, then Ayano fucked up bad and he's even trying to cope with it somehow. He hasn't given me one reason to dislike him.

what he did this chapter was pretty shitty I think, if ayano wanted to talk with her sister she would, and he knew that she didn't say anything to Kaede, he went as far as being all cryptic and sending her to the bar for shock value, if he just wanted to talk to someone he would have been streightforward with Kaede and just tell her what it was. Maybe he didn't act sooner because he couldn't believe or he was a bit of a coward to break up or get mad over it, but I think this first act of passive agressiveness from him won't be the last

He does get bonus points for cowardice but it may actually be too early to even accuse him of malicious intent since we are not privy to why he did it. Even if he was aiming to shit stir the wrongness of his actions is still absolutely dwarfed by those of his wife, We have someone who has been horribly betrayed and intentionally wronged by his spouse repaying that betrayal with what is at worst some very low grade passive aggressiveness that doesn't really even cross any lines like lying. I mean as far as throwing a passive aggressive punch goes that's barely a flick in the nose and that's assuming he had bad intentions. He may legitimately be trying to get his sister's input on the whole thing and is too afraid to face his wife's elicit lover himself.,

last edited at Dec 31, 2019 3:44AM

joined May 31, 2019

Hmm.... with all the characters grouped up in one place, wonder what would happen if Akari decided to come visit? evil laugh

joined Nov 7, 2017

I hope she does go visit Akari...

Mostly because it's one of the few kind things she can do (provide emotional support to a person she actually has feelings for) in this situation where the three of them are all unsure of what to do and spinning their wheels.

I kinda really want the mother-in-law's whole "plan" to keep their marriage intact to just fall around her ears. Just so she can admit to herself that "Hey, maybe this relationship is better off collapsing than causing a greater number of people pain and confusion."

Mm

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I kinda really want the mother-in-law's whole "plan" to keep their marriage intact to just fall around her ears. Just so she can admit to herself that "Hey, maybe this relationship is better off collapsing than causing a greater number of people pain and confusion."

It's easy for us to say that when we don't live in a culture that still treats divorce as a great failure in life and a shame for the entire family.
(Seriously Japan, do I really need to remind you that we're in the 21st century?)

joined Dec 5, 2019

He does get bonus points for cowardice but it may actually be too early to even accuse him of malicious intent since we are not privy to why he did it. Even if he was aiming to shit stir the wrongness of his actions is still absolutely dwarfed by those of his wife, We have someone who has been horribly betrayed and intentionally wronged by his spouse repaying that betrayal with what is at worst some very low grade passive aggressiveness that doesn't really even cross any lines like lying. I mean as far as throwing a passive aggressive punch goes that's barely a flick in the nose and that's assuming he had bad intentions. He may legitimately be trying to get his sister's input on the whole thing and is too afraid to face his wife's elicit lover himself.,

Probably what bothers me the most is that what he did was a low key ejecting Ayano from the closet to her sister, like I said, if Ayano was confortable in discussing that part she would, and I don't think that being cheated gives him the right to do that, you don't suddenly have the right to punish someone if you were cheated on and the cheater told you about it, you can either break up or work through it but adding more hurt to the pot is never a good thing.

The other thing is HOW he did it, he asked " don't you want to see who would make ayano have an affair?" and the vagueness and all that.
Even Kaede commented that he was not acting like himself (and ayano too for that matter), so I think something is changing, and when both of them move to an environment that is entirely supportive of him( the mother-in-law's house) I think more changes will happen to him, he will feel entitled to whatever action he takes. But that is just my guess on how things usually happen when a situation like that is presented.

Not saying I blame him, that kind of betrayal can make you act erratically and make you do things you wouldn't or that you would regret later, but still not cool.

joined Apr 14, 2018

okay Ayano you can follow your heart and get your girl right
just give your hubby to your sister, everyone's happy lol

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Yeah, it's weird, but somehow I feel like the little sister is introduced as a consolation prize for the husband. Hm.

Either way, yeah, this is an entertaining and fun and unpredictable trainwreck.

4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

I mean the sister says she straight-up hates his family (who are pretty involved with each other), so I don’t think there’s much joy in that future for her.

last edited at Dec 31, 2019 6:27AM

joined Oct 22, 2018

I mean the sister says she straight-up hates his family (who are pretty involved with each other), so I don’t think there’s much joy in that future for her.

Just let the husband yeet his family out of his life, one way or another. Everything's solved!

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Probably what bothers me the most is that what he did was a low key ejecting Ayano from the closet to her sister

How ? He didn't say anything about that matter, if anything it stay vague as hell. And i found very quick to jump on the husband for that when most ofthe fault is on Ayano, who go to say at who want to heard it that she cheat on her husband. I mean that she said to her husband,it's normal. It's the kind of thing you had to go trought at two but then she goes saying to her mother in law and her sister in law. She doesn't really have to do it but she does anyway. Plus after she cheats the first time, instead of telling Akari directly she have a husband. She come back to the SAME bar, knowning Akari will be here, with her husband.
You can blame the husband for giving his sister the bar location but remember that the sister wouldn't have ask in the first place if Ayano didn't say anything.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Why does this author always have to make such stories that leave me with mixed feelings and a mixed impression...?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

BV posted:

Why does this author always have to make such stories that leave me with mixed feelings and a mixed impression...?

Because her characters are relatable. You wouldn't react like them, probably, but their reactions ring true.

She's the best. One of my favorite authors.

Ava%20baby
joined May 5, 2013

I love this manga, I wish there'd be more update

To reply you must either login or sign up.