Forum › Happy Sugar Life discussion

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Blastaar posted:

Was hoping it would end a little different from the manga

the anime ended first the mangaka ended the manga same way as the anime which was a slap in the face and waste of time.

I'm very curious--I can understand wishing for another outcome to the story, but in what way is the ending a "slap in the face"?

Probably the fact that usually when anime airs and ends before manga finish, it's assumed the ending is anime original, so people were expecting different outcome from manga, but because it ended the same way, people feel like anime spoiled the ending for them? Or worse, the original ending author had in mind, was forced to be changed because of anime.

joined Oct 19, 2019

Are there seriously people who think the author changed the ending of the manga, because of the anime? It seems obvious to me that the mangaka was involved in writing the conclusion of the anime.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Blastaar posted:

Was hoping it would end a little different from the manga

the anime ended first the mangaka ended the manga same way as the anime which was a slap in the face and waste of time.

I'm very curious--I can understand wishing for another outcome to the story, but in what way is the ending a "slap in the face"?

Probably the fact that usually when anime airs and ends before manga finish, it's assumed the ending is anime original, so people were expecting different outcome from manga, but because it ended the same way, people feel like anime spoiled the ending for them? Or worse, the original ending author had in mind, was forced to be changed because of anime.

I know that a lot of people have been hoping against hope for a "happy" ending for the MCs since well before there even was an anime, but as was discussed here pretty extensively, IIRC, there really weren't a lot of plausible ways to get to such an ending, and "happily ever after" would be a notable reversal of tone for the entire series anyway.

EDIT: Also, what Belial said.

last edited at Nov 22, 2019 9:49AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Are there seriously people who think the author changed the ending of the manga, because of the anime? It seems obvious to me that the mangaka was involved in writing the conclusion of the anime.

Then again Kunihiko Ikuhara have written Yuri Kuma Arashi the manga and have produced and written Yuri Kuma Arashi the anime and god down the anime and the manga are nothing alike.

joined Nov 13, 2019

Then the way continue manga if end is the same also slot of people hated ending.

joined Nov 13, 2019

I know that a lot of people have been hoping against hope for a "happy" ending for the MCs since well before there even was an anime, but as was discussed here pretty extensively, IIRC, there really weren't a lot of plausible ways to get to such an ending, and "happily ever after" would be a notable reversal of tone for the entire series anyway.

The ending could left anonymous or Satou getting arrested for kidnapping. Getting out years later getting back with teenage Shio.

last edited at Nov 22, 2019 10:46AM

joined Oct 19, 2019

Then again Kunihiko Ikuhara have written Yuri Kuma Arashi the manga and have produced and written Yuri Kuma Arashi the anime and god down the anime and the manga are nothing alike.

The anime is the original though, and the manga exists just to promote the anime. It's quite normal for anime > manga adaptions to be different.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Belial posted:

It seems obvious to me that the mangaka was involved in writing the conclusion of the anime.

I agree it's way more likely conclusion, but I do have to sympathize with manga fans. Anime usually is made specifically to hype or promote manga. The fact anime spoiled the true ending does feel like a terrible marketing decision. It doesn't matter for when manga is finished, but when people don't like the ending there's high chance people will actually stop buying it exactly, because they know now how it ends and they didn't like it. Then again, maybe they would still buy it convinced anime ending was original and manga will end differently. You know what? It might be the most brilliant marketing decision to simultaneously make your fans buy your manga and hate you forever.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

The anime is the original though, and the manga exists just to promote the anime. It's quite normal for anime > manga adaptions to be different.

Wait what ? Isn't that stupid thinking ? The manga and the anime has not the same beside yuri and the bear imagery. Different is an understatement since it's not even the same story.

joined Oct 19, 2019

Wait what ? Isn't that stupid thinking ? The manga and the anime has not the same beside yuri and the bear imagery. Different is an understatement since it's not even the same story.

I haven't read the manga so I wouldn't know how different it is, but like I said it's common for these adaptions to have differences(or in some cases a completly different story).

last edited at Nov 22, 2019 1:48PM

joined Jun 12, 2015

Wrong. Yuri Kuma Arashi anime and manga were both a different works with the base idea. Ikuhara wasn't involved with the manga version.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Wrong. Yuri Kuma Arashi anime and manga were both a different works with the base idea. Ikuhara wasn't involved with the manga version.

That's why everywhere i go Ikuhara is mention for its work on the manga ?

joined Jun 12, 2015

If you would read interviews with him and Morishima Akiko you would know about their deal with this project. Ikuni gave Morishima only the base idea. With that Morishima started to work on the manga and published first chapters before even anime started airing.

last edited at Nov 22, 2019 2:39PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

If you would read interviews with him and Morishima Akiko you would know about their deal with this project. Ikuni gave Morishima only the base idea. With that Morishima started to work on the manga and published first chapters before even anime started airing.

That said, it's a rare case. I've rarely seen an anime and a manga so different.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Dude last bit after she killed Shouko was lame. Disappointed... Was kind of hoping this messed up love and kidnapping would end in a less noble way. I dunno what my expectations were exactly, but they weren't met.

!vanitas-emote-05
joined Jul 19, 2014

There's apparently a sequel manga (Or maybe its an extra? I don't know tbh) of sorts that takes place after the events of HSL, like teenage Shio. I've only seen a few panels without context and all in japanese. So hopefully it gets translated as well because i need to know if my children are finally happy and sane or if Shio just followed after Satou in becoming an abductor in the name of Love.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I just discovered the anime is on Prime Video, and I binge watched the whole thing. Still can't get over how every character is pretty much a horrible dumpster fire of a person, aside from Shio (till the end anyway, when it's then clear she's developed into another Satou) and maaaaybe Shouko since all she did was lie to her parents about what she was really doing after school and then die a horrible pointless death.....

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

There's apparently a sequel manga (Or maybe its an extra? I don't know tbh) of sorts that takes place after the events of HSL, like teenage Shio. I've only seen a few panels without context and all in japanese. So hopefully it gets translated as well because i need to know if my children are finally happy and sane or if Shio just followed after Satou in becoming an abductor in the name of Love.

There are some more extras and shorts. Don't expect an actual sequel. They're mostly set during the events of the story or are silly hypotheticals. We're working on them

joined Nov 13, 2019

first that are oneshots extra that the author made after manga ending so according to Japanese twitter not canon
and Shio does not become Satou she keeps the love and warmth of her in heart. basically she will never fall in love or make human connections.

joined Nov 13, 2019

I just discovered the anime is on Prime Video, and I binge watched the whole thing. Still can't get over how every character is pretty much a horrible dumpster fire of a person, aside from Shio (till the end anyway, when it's then clear she's developed into another Satou) and maaaaybe Shouko since all she did was lie to her parents about what she was really doing after school and then die a horrible pointless death.....

you did not understand ending did you?

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

you did not understand ending did you?

I'm sorry, if you'd prefer my more in-depth thoughts on and interpretations of the ending of the MANGA, feel free to look up those posts in this thread, because I surely can't be arsed to do so for someone who clearly finds their joy in pushing buttons and declaring that others have "shit taste".

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I just found out that Kagisora Tomiyaki is a guy. For some reason that makes the manga seem much more creepy, to me.

That definitely makes it creepier, especially with all the sexual violence that happens.

Though I don't think it was unexpected.

how so? don't you guys know women can make worst shit like
Hachi Itou , Ryouta Yuzuki

And even so, why the fact it's a man make it creepier ? Mens are not monster you know.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

typical male response cope you need a high IQ read the manga messages.

I certainly hope you weren't directing that at me, lol

joined Jun 17, 2018

I just found out that Kagisora Tomiyaki is a guy. For some reason that makes the manga seem much more creepy, to me.

I think that 's uncertain. Japanese manga sources say the mangaka's gender is unknown. The mangaka seems to be one of those who do not want their identities revealed.

Mangaupdate states that the mangaka is male. While mostly accurate, I have found a few errors from them. In addition, the Japanese sources are more of an insider, so I trust them more than Mangaupdate.

joined Sep 18, 2016

I was finding this ending to be sweeter than the anime one until the last page. Holy shit, I knew Shio would become like Sato! And the cycle of abuse keeps going on. Great story, I enjoyed it a lot. I love the art style, it's very heartwarming.

To reply you must either login or sign up.