Forum › 2DK, G-pen, Alarm clock discussion

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

@venom

are accents frowned apon in Japaneses companies, or is it just that its hard to understand them?

It's considered impolite not to speak standard Japanese in formal/business contexts.

joined May 1, 2013

Kazuki knows she's gay, right? Even if she isn't super happy about it? Didn't we have a whole thing about that?

So why on earth is she doing that hoary "what is this strange feeling in my chest?!" thing? Kid, you're bigger than that.

I do appreciate this chapter's specific but relateable experience: Becoming friends with the annoying person because you dislike how mean everyone else is to them and you start to see their good parts. I have been there.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

That was an interesting chapter. I'm not especially impatient but even i wonder where this going and about what time that Yuri train is going to roll in.

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

@venom

are accents frowned apon in Japaneses companies, or is it just that its hard to understand them?

It's considered impolite not to speak standard Japanese in formal/business contexts.

I think that's considered impolite in every language xD and I'm native from two.

Talking abou this chapter I want the MC go for that girl with acent. She even says she is cute

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

@venom

I think that's considered impolite in every language xD and I'm native from two.

Well, there's dialect and there's accent. Unlike in some languages, where regional dialects are close to being separate languages, US English definitely has discernible regional accents, but they're mutually intelligible unless you're talking about specific vocabulary and idioms, usually class-based.

in other words, businessmen from Minnesota and Tennessee would pronounce a number a words very differently, and the cadence of their speech would be quite different, but they'd think nothing of it when speaking to one another in terms of politeness. But both of them might have trouble understanding people from very rural areas of their own home states who were speaking a particular regional vernacular.

I'm from Pennsylvania, and I sometimes had trouble following Amish people from my own hometown when they spoke (although that's a bit of a special case).

last edited at May 17, 2019 10:13PM

joined Jan 11, 2015

In Japan, it's not so much for intelligibility (though it is in some cases, since some dialects approach "different language" levels) as it is just a cultural thing. In formal contexts, it is simply proper to speak standard/Tokyo Japanese (even in other regions). Not doing so can make you seem disrespectful, or that you're not taking the situation seriously.

For a modern, international comparison, take how many American politicians speak with a southern accent. That would simply not fly in Japan, as it would give the impression that they don't take their job seriously, whereas in the US and many other places, it is simply a regional dialect (although stereotypes may of course apply).

Fun fact: In older times, the formal version of the Kansai dialect was frequently used by prostitutes and geisha, as it sounded "high class" and "sexy". Incidentally, prostitutes weren't viewed as "whores" in any derogatory sense; they were viewed as women of culture and beauty, whereas the "common woman" was simply there to make kids and take care of the home. :p

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

@venom

Well, there's dialect and there's accent. Unlike in some languages, where regional dialects are close to being separate languages, US English definitely has discernible regional accents, but they're mutually intelligible unless you're talking about specific vocabulary and idioms, usually class-based.

in other words, businessmen from Minnesota and Tennessee would pronounce a number a words very differently, and the cadence of their speech would be quite different, but they'd think nothing of it when speaking to one another in terms of politeness. But both of them might have trouble understanding people from very rural areas of their own home states who were speaking a particular regional vernacular.

I'm from Pennsylvania, and I had sometimes trouble following Amish people from my own hometown when they spoke (although that's a bit of a special case).

Well, I'm from Spain and if I talk galician (one of the four languages we have) people always told me "you're talking too serious!" because of my form to talk it, sometime I even were mistaken for a portuguese woman xD but my way to talk spanish with this accent tend to be easygoing and I change my form to talk if I'm talking in formal speech because I think it's impolite if you don't talk how the rule says (or at least that's what they teached me). That's why I think it's a normal thing, if you have rules, just follow them in formal speech.

Fun fact: In older times, the formal version of the Kansai dialect was frequently used by prostitutes and geisha, as it sounded "high class" and "sexy". Incidentally, prostitutes weren't viewed as "whores" in any derogatory sense; they were viewed as women of culture and beauty, whereas the "common woman" was simply there to make kids and take care of the home. :p

Wow, I didn't know it o.o how curious. Thanks for sharing!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

For a modern, international comparison, take how many American politicians speak with a southern accent. That would simply not fly in Japan, as it would give the impression that they don't take their job seriously, whereas in the US and many other places, it is simply a regional dialect (although stereotypes may of course apply).

That’s a good point—it’s true that in formal settings in the US (as I assume in most countries) there are usage standards (“educated speech”) separate from accent per se. I know that in the UK Received Pronunciation was a rather rigid status marker for a long time.

I suspect that in the US the main pressure is to make sure one’s speech “fits in” with the given social context—I’ve probably seen more people mocked for being too ”elevated” in their speech (especially vocabulary) than for speaking “improperly.”

Of course, probably everyone talks to the boss or co-workers rather differently than they do at home, although maybe not to the degree we see in this story.

last edited at May 17, 2019 10:39PM

Cat
joined Jul 27, 2015

The forum is slowly turning into some kind of a linguistics forum, I love it. Too bad I was forced to take Economic, otherwise this would be a great place to stay.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I grew up in "hillbillytown" and so when I moved away at age 21 I had the WORST country bumpkin twang... and I made myself learn how to drop it darn fast once I got to Florida, because when I spoke around others I was unfairly judged as being ignorant or less than intelligent. THEN I doubled down and learned how to invoke it as part of a "customer service voice", because guess what, most people seem to lose their steam when faced with a woman's voice that is both pitched higher than normal AND has a bit of a country twang. Actually worked for me when dealing with subordinates when I was in management positions as well.

Now I have virtually no accent at all, aside from a generic "American" accent, unless I turn on an inflection. Apparently I'm super good at picking up inflection and cadence when it comes to speaking foreign languages too, so I guess I got that going for me, which is nice?

Of course online is a whole different story. I'm usually told I "speak" too formally or at least somewhat too stiffly. Which I can't help, since I have always been a bookworm so my inside voice tends to be rather more formal than the outside, and of course the inside voice is technically what I type out for others to read.....

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

In ch.5 pg24, lower left panel, what did Kazuki mean by "pretendin' they're minted"?

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

In ch.5 pg24, lower left panel, what did Kazuki mean by "pretendin' they're minted"?

She's basically saying "someone sitting in a cheap restaurant and acting like they're rich"

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

She's basically saying "someone sitting in a cheap restaurant and acting like they're rich"

That makes way more sense than, my guess, of pretending to drunk.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Oh wow nice, I'm totally down for the two roommates having separate love interests

Also lol the "what is this feeling in my chest" you KNOW you're gay don't even try it

Looking East
45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

In Japan, it's not so much for intelligibility (though it is in some cases, since some dialects approach "different language" levels) as it is just a cultural thing. In formal contexts, it is simply proper to speak standard/Tokyo Japanese (even in other regions). Not doing so can make you seem disrespectful, or that you're not taking the situation seriously.

If I remember correctly you're the one translating this. Thanks for sticking with it despite the ungrateful whining. It's one of the better ongoing yuri series involving adult protagonists.

last edited at May 18, 2019 3:49AM

joined Jan 11, 2015

@Looking East
I was, but I had to stop. (Mainly due to real life issues, but the "warm reception" I got certainly didn't help my motivation to continue, lol)

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

To be honest, I understood none of that office jargon

Also,
@Ropponmatsu sorry dude, but we all appreciated and liked your work nonetheless

joined Sep 13, 2017

@Ropponmatsu Damn, sorry to hear that. Personally, I think your translation was damn great, even if 'havnae' would give me a small pause every now and then.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Hopefully this series updates quite quick and daily like Hino-san no Baka since this series has, what I heard, 8 volumes now?!

That's impressive, 8 volumes published, I'd heard that this series was one of the big flagships of Yurihime for many years, I guess it was true

joined Jun 12, 2015

Hopefully this series updates quite quick and daily like Hino-san no Baka since this series has, what I heard, 8 volumes now?!

That's impressive, 8 volumes published, I'd heard that this series was one of the big flagships of Yurihime for many years, I guess it was true

Yeah. It was highy promoted by Yuri Hime, even if the sales weren't that big (at least I newer saw it on any rankings). It's normal for magazines to choose some mangas for their flagships. Even when they aren't a big hits as they would like them to be.

joined May 29, 2019

soap

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

If this chapter was what I think it was then I love this series more than anything.

joined May 1, 2013

I uh kinda want Nanami to end up with the obnoxious work lady and not her roommate.

I like the way the author played that scene. I thiiiiink it was supposed to be clear that Nanami knew she was being asked out and mentioned Nae as an excuse... but also realizing she meant it, too.

joined Jan 31, 2018

I uh kinda want Nanami to end up with the obnoxious work lady and not her roommate.

I like the way the author played that scene. I thiiiiink it was supposed to be clear that Nanami knew she was being asked out and mentioned Nae as an excuse... but also realizing she meant it, too.

same

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Hehehehe it was funny to read "This manga has many chapters so the group translating can release super quickly or even daily!" I mean, of courseeeeee xP I wonder if lots of people use the groups working on the Jump magazine as standard for all groups.

ANYWAY Sexy Akiba is paid to work so I don't really expect daily releases but I'm glad we were able to close this first arc! I'm fine either way when it comes to who ends with who, they all look good to me right now, thankssss!!!

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 11:08PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.