Forum › A Candle for the Grim Reaper discussion

Ghost Shogun
Badass%20yuyuko%20-%20avatar2
joined Dec 4, 2015

Now I want to re-watch Jigoku Shoujo and xXxHoLiC...

This was interesting, but I do agree that it was too short (good, but short).

longking0803 said:
idk why but it kindda remind me of xxxHolic.

Thank you.

joined Jun 1, 2016

this reminds me of an old yuri manga I read, where an immortal girl becomes an assassin to buy 'time' for her dying lover

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

So this is what I understand so far:
- Detective Death is a demon from hell.
- Her sidekick is an artificial humanoid, a "wax doll" manufactured by demons. She isn't considered a "real person" by the demons.
- DD and Wax Doll somehow fell in love and began a torrid love affair.
- They were found out and all hell broke loose (pun intended).
- They ran together and now they live on Earth, and DD works as a hitman for hire: she kills "bad people" in exchange for a part of the lifeforce of her customers.
- She needs the lifeforce to keep Wax Doll alive. Well, "animated" may be a better word.

Did I got everything right?

Just as an addendum: Their first client was a girl whose best friend/secret beloved died because of a guy whose fatal car collision was shown on the first page. However, when DD extracted a life span from her that would be the equivalent of what her friend had remaining, it turned out that it wasn't very much, presumably because she would have died soon, anyway, and DD's comment here suggests that it was because of the guy, too?

What complicates the understanding for me is the uncertainty of the relationship between the client's friend and the guy -- I am currently leaning towards an abusive father figure, but abusive boyfriend is also possible. It's weird because, apparently, the "remaining life span" is counted from the point of her actual death because of that guy to the point of her projected death, which would have also occurred because of him. Thoughts?

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Don’t tell me there’s more...
There’s only so much I can candle

You've worked hard to earn that username.

That's close Koveras. The guy died in the car crash which was a result of the detective, the payment was his remaining lifespan before interference only that length was taken from the client, which was not much.

We aren't sure how or why the man killed the girl

last edited at May 27, 2019 4:18AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

This is really no better than hiring an assassin. Except you pay with lifespan instead of money. Wonder if "Detective" Death got a page on the darkweb?
Well everyone got what they wanted (or deserved), so I guess it's fine.

Just as an addendum: Their first client was a girl whose best friend/secret beloved died because of a guy whose fatal car collision was shown on the first page. However, when DD extracted a life span from her that would be the equivalent of what her friend had remaining, it turned out that it wasn't very much, presumably because she would have died soon, anyway, and DD's comment here suggests that it was because of the guy, too?

What complicates the understanding for me is the uncertainty of the relationship between the client's friend and the guy -- I am currently leaning towards an abusive father figure, but abusive boyfriend is also possible. It's weird because, apparently, the "remaining life span" is counted from the point of her actual death because of that guy to the point of her projected death, which would have also occurred because of him. Thoughts?

I am pretty sure you misunderstood this. The "remaining lifespan" in question is that of the man who was killed. DD is making up for the life she took with her client's lifespan. What she implied there is that that bastard didn't have much longer to live anyway, because he was a bad man who had an unsafe lifestyle.

last edited at May 27, 2019 4:52AM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Yesss more supernatural Yuri! I was getting bored with the slice of life stuff. I could read a story like this without the Yuri too. It looked so cool and interesting,especially that scene of Death's hand changing here
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_candle_for_the_grim_reaper#8

We'll see if this also get a solid and consistent plot, but it seems promising.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Um, many of you seem to think this is the first chapter of a longer-running series... but, actually, that's not the case.

The Jingai Yuri Anthology books are made of oneshots. Each volume has a number of autoconclusive short stories with no subsequent chapters intended. There are 2 books out so far:

Cinnamon Nonhuman x Human Yuri Anthology
Story 1 Birds singing at night (Neji)
Story 2 My Sister is a rotten girl (Asagao)
Story 3 The demon lord of the house (Eku Takeshima)
Story 4 Love Demon (Jin Takemiya)
Story 5 Wild Baby (Saki Amano)
Story 6 Flower room share (Sekihara)
Story 7 Confession (Mizua)
Story 8 My Housemate is a fish (Saku Takano)

Vanilla Nonhuman x Nonhuman Yuri Anthology
Story 1 Demon and Yamagami
Story 2 More than one zoo bar (Mintaro)
Story 3 Ginger Bride (Kazutaro)
Story 4 12th floor (Nagu Tsugu)
Story 5 "I wish I could" (Mizutani Asuza)
Story 6 Grim Reaper and indigo dying candles (Shin Takekawa)
Story 7 Kisses in Wonderland ( Subaru)
Story 8 The Devil's Daughters (Mochi Ore)
Story 9 Alice please, I'm worried about you (Hachi Ito)

As you see, this is story 6 in the Vanilla volume: Grim Reaper and indigo dying candles, by Shin Takekawa, which was translated under the title A Candle for the Grim Reaper. There isn't any continuation, what you've read is all there is.
(Of course, some editor could eventually like it and decide to turn it into a longer series... but I wouldn't bet too much on it.)

joined Feb 23, 2016

Interesting

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!! This is some unique plot! I liked it :3
It could have been some nice 18+ series :333

V003
joined Oct 15, 2018

Where did you get this translation? It was literally a candle, saturated with love, but definitely nothing to do with indigo.

Story 8 My Housemate is a fish (Saku Takano)

This one made my day :D
(Actually her roomie was a mermaid.)

But yeah, you're right. This is an anthology of oneshots, so there's no hope it'll evolve into a series.

last edited at May 27, 2019 1:00PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Where did you get this translation? It was literally a candle, saturated with love, but definitely nothing to do with indigo.

I really don't know what's the original Japanese name of the story... I got this English name from a translation made by a native Japanese speaker; maybe her choice of words doesn't exactly convey the intended meaning...

Nuku_nuku_13
joined Aug 27, 2013

An idea I just had: it could be a oneshot, not a 1st chp. of a series :(

All good oneshots can be made into a series :D

@Jeanne Mathison I love your avatar! Where did you find it? Searching was fruitless, just that others use it too... no sauce. So many wonderful avatars here, indicates a highly intelligent readership :D

Plot: Two high-school girls fall in love, yay! But one is swept away by an older guy and they break up. Later it turns out the guy was just using her for cheap sex, and dumps her. She kills herself and her former GF is shattered... thus entering that 'hidden room' for revenge like the girl on the last page. (good for 4-5 chapters at least)

last edited at May 27, 2019 3:22PM

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

@Jeanne Mathison I love your avatar! Where did you find it? Searching was fruitless, just that others use it too... no sauce. So many wonderful avatars here, indicates a highly intelligent readership :D

Thank you! :)) It was drawn by a Spanish web-artist (the Chinese character down left, that's just for decoration) and donated to an online archive.. and I guess I'm not the only one who liked the pretty picture if there are others using it

There also a gif version

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I am pretty sure you misunderstood this. The "remaining lifespan" in question is that of the man who was killed. DD is making up for the life she took with her client's lifespan. What she implied there is that that bastard didn't have much longer to live anyway, because he was a bad man who had an unsafe lifestyle.

Ah, that makes so much more sense, thank you. :-)

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Plot: Two high-school girls fall in love, yay! But one is swept away by an older guy and they break up. Later it turns out the guy was just using her for cheap sex, and dumps her. She kills herself and her former GF is shattered... thus entering that 'hidden room' for revenge like the girl on the last page. (good for 4-5 chapters at least)

I sure hope that those publishers in Japan, the ones who released the Jingai Yuri books, have the same idea as you and commission a series based on this oneshot.

The world needs more DD and Wax Doll!

last edited at May 27, 2019 10:56PM

Astraea Hill
Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Would love to see this made into a series - liked the concept, the art … actually everything about it except it being a one shot.

KangaNoodles
_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

... The angel of death kinda looked like buu saga Vegeta on a few pages, not a complaint, just an opinion

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

Shin is back! Hope someone is gonna translate more works from him

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

That was pretty neat.

Meiavatar
joined Feb 9, 2017

Yes, this is my shit. immediately begins thinking about how I can turn it into a D&D adventure

I see you are a person of culture (also I can so see an Avatar of the Raven Queen acting like this).

I'd honestly watch / read a series like this over Hell Girl. The art-work is gorgeous and the concept works for me more than Hell Girl's "one wish and you're damned for eternity" shtick. Fingers crossed we get more.

Fireshot%20screen%20capture%20%23073%20-%20'vol_%201%20ch_%201%20(even%20if%20it%20was%20just%20once,%20i%20regret%20it)%20-%20mangadex'%20-%20mangadex_org_chapter_689420_11%20-%20copy
joined May 6, 2018

Never into supernatural but this one got me

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

Omg this concept is insanely awesome, I might have to mark it for something later

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

Not terribly innovative, still I wouldn't mind a few more chapters of this.

georgeoswalddannyson
joined Aug 21, 2019

that's a really cool concept

Ak12-an94
joined Mar 10, 2018

This was a really interesting reading. I liked it a lot ♥

To reply you must either login or sign up.