Forum › We Can't Draw Love discussion

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Haiku disses. Is this how far we have come as a society?

0000slan1
joined Apr 7, 2018

I can't wait for the father to tell her that he has arranged a marriage for her with some random rich guy, I would honestly be surprised if it doesn't happen.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

So many people say that they hate this manga or are droping it but I don't understand why
I mean it's the funniest forum I've been in a while
Also its funny seeing main characters suck so bad at romance
I immediately read a chapter when it comes out because I know it will be golden

Yeah, it's a fun series. I hope the dad drama resolves quickly though.

joined Nov 9, 2017

Lul this manga had so much potential in the beginning but it became so flat and boring. The forum however is hilarious
Comic 2/10
Forum 9/10
Will continue reading

Unnamed%20(1)
joined May 12, 2015

Kano-chin's dad either wants her to inherit the family business or he wants her to marry some guy he chose. Maybe both. And when that time comes, Miyuu will somehow manage to remember that Kano is her childhood friend and will come take her away. That, or Kano's dad will be moved by Miyuu's undying love for his daughter and will finally allow them to follow their dreams to defeat Christine Sayuri-sensei together.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Can this series just become a focus on the releatonship between the side characters
That would be pretty cool.
I want to see what she gets for winning that contest

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

You know, all kidding aside, it wouldn't take that much to turn this into a nice little meta-manga in which the aspiring mangaka break the 4th wall to remark on how all these yuri manga cliches keep happening in their lives, etc.

All you'd need is like, a writer or something.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

Phone-kun, you dastardly plot device! How dare you interrupt a confession that would resolve 18 chapters of ambiguity, only to kickstart a whole new, completely different plot device that prevents the very same confession?!?

OMG who could have predict such tragedy?

joined Sep 4, 2016

Great. Time for the "dad" arc. A.k.a. the overbearing, abusive, absentee parent who thinks they can tell their kid to do whatever they want.

God I hate this particular trope. Give me a love triangle, or a long lost childhood friend. Anything but the homophobic, thinks he knows everything, asshole dad.

joined Feb 18, 2015

But at least the dad isn't upset because they're gay! He just doesn't like his daughter wasting her time writing silly manga. For all we know he could be perfectly alright with her having a same sex relationship... (yeah... riiiiight...)

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

But at least the dad isn't upset because they're gay! He just doesn't like his daughter wasting her time writing silly manga. For all we know he could be perfectly alright with her having a same sex relationship... (yeah... riiiiight...)

Lol that was actually my first foolish thought.

I don't want this plot device! It doesn't belong here!

last edited at Mar 18, 2019 1:39PM

Th
joined Aug 6, 2014

"We Can't Draw Love", huh? You talking about yourself, author?

lol Seems so. The comments are jokes though. Good show.

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

"We Can't Draw Love", huh? You talking about yourself, author?

lol Seems so. The comments are jokes though. Good show.

as the manga gets worse, the forum gets better. it's an inverse relationship. All is balanced

Unbenannt%20(copy)
joined Apr 21, 2018

Wow. The Author thinks with this "Drama action" he rescued his manga. I only read it because i like his Art Style.

Nep%20u
joined Mar 15, 2017

oh no, it's predictable "controlling father" family drama #12489. I've never seen this kind of plot before, it's very new and interesting and I'm sure it will be resolved in an unpredictable way that nobody expects. I'm gonna make a bold prediction and predict that kano will defy her father by the power of love though I'm aware that this is very unlikely

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

So many people say that they hate this manga or are droping it but I don't understand why
I mean it's the funniest forum I've been in a while
Also its funny seeing main characters suck so bad at romance
I immediately read a chapter when it comes out because I know it will be golden

People immediately hate something that is unoriginal
Although that is why I don't understand why everyone likes the Halloween series, Michael Myers literally can't die and it's obvious that the movies are just cash grabbers. I've only watched the newest movie that came out and it wasn't even scary. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

I suppose it's a love-hate relationship. Clichés are clichés because they work. Good or bad, they still work. It's so easy to hate on a bad cliché (I do too tbh) and it's so easy to fall in love with a cliché with a godly delivery even if they're both singing the same song.
Either way, clichés only turned into clichés because people started loving them long before they turned into clichés. Which probably lead to the overuse, abuse, and misuse of the same d@mned plot devices.

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

When I thought a yuri manga couldn't be bad at EVERYTHING this author goes and tries their best. At some point I thought they could be trolling but even if it was the case it would be so low quality trolling.

Even the art is bad with all those fish faces. What a frigging lot of mouth breathers.

I'll wait for the ending but it could be even worse than Lemonade. It is going to be hard, though. The angst there was done so poorly. Even had a confession in the last four pages of the last chapter.

last edited at Apr 13, 2019 6:42AM

Heimyfr
joined Aug 18, 2015

Rushing to the ending like a Eurobeat song.

Kat%202
joined Mar 6, 2012

Shes going to send her home pretending shes not happy about it

Midnightgunner
Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

Goddamn. Not even Usian Bolt is this rushed.

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

Shes going to send her home pretending shes not happy about it

After the amnesia flex I wouldn't bet for anything.

It could be an inception move and the current story being a manga drawn by a terminal radiation patient at a Ukrainian hospital.

last edited at Apr 13, 2019 8:06AM

__remilia_scarlet_touhou_drawn_by_kameyan__79633e04034b3c99d7cf88e4370ce72e
joined Apr 28, 2014

Cliches aren't themselves bad. A series can use cliches and be just fine, because not every aspect of a work has to be unique in order for it to suceed - in fact, almost nothing is 100% unique. For example, The Matrix was hardly the first film to posit that the world isn't real and that machines could overthrow humanity, but it did invent bullet-time and developed new fight choreography that hadn't been seen before.

My Hero Academia has a world full of superpowers and a school to teach them how to use them. X-men, Harry Potter, and hell, even Naruto have a similar set-up. What makes My Hero unique is the close look it takes at what being a hero entails. Is Deku the greatest hero because he faces his fear? Is Bakugo the greatest hero because of his relentless drive? Is Endeavor the greatest hero because he saves the greatest number of people? Even though he abuses his family? Does the villain Stain have a point about society, even if his methods are abhorrent? Who IS the best girl, and why is it Froppy?

Hell, just on the yuri side of things, Bloom Into You has a protagonist who approaches relationships in a very mature and hestitant way, unlike the typical 'heavy blush, stammer, instant confession' types we see in most romance. It deals with issues not just on love, but on our perception of love, and how love impacts our expectations and relationships, the media's flawed descriptions of how love ought to feel, and the list goes on. The problems they face are ones we all face, questions with no easy answers.

This is the problem: nothing about We Can't Draw Love has done anything we haven't seen. The questions it asks are incredibly easy to answer, and any reasonable person would have solved them the instant they appeared. And now it turns out Miyu was Kano's childhood friend all along, that she forgot about, because what'll set this manga apart from the rest is forgotten childhood promises. This manga has no interest in setting up something new. It has nothing to say. If it was a one-shot, we wouldn't have such high expectations, but when you're been reading a story for 20 chapters, only to realize that the central premise was the only thing this manga was going to have going for it, you get a little crazy.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

In short, it's all about execution. You can be telling the most basic story idea every, but as long as it's well done, people will still read and love it. Of course trying to play with and subvert tropes is a good way to try making your story feel fresh and in fact is kinda expected nowadays, but as long as your story telling ability is good, you can roll with anything. And that's exactly the issue with this manga. It uses basic cliches, but executes them very poorly and without any nuance or twist, making it feel just plain generic, predictable and even painful.

last edited at Apr 13, 2019 8:48AM

joined Jan 26, 2019

If the confession gets stopped or does not get through to her, I am going to be so annoyed

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’m not saying it’s intended by the author, but this seems to be so entirely committed to familiar tropes as to be less “cliched” than simply retro—like a pop musician simulating (without parody) the exact style of several decades ago.

I know I’m just trying to rationalize that I kind of like this by claiming that I like it not despite but because of its complete unoriginality, for admirably resisting the impulse to add some contemporary hip-hop touches to an unabashed doo-wop arrangement.

Of course, examples of such exact mimicry of outmoded styles in whatever medium do tend to be rather pointless. But I still kind of like this.

^ As to the success of the confession, this is such a classic narrative juncture—if the series needs more chapters, the confession gets interrupted or otherwise doesn’t take (which I suspect, because of the introduction of the otherwise unnecessarily yuri-leaning maid), but if it’s time to wind things up, everything goes off smoothly.

Tl;dr: They don’t make ‘em like this anymore. Except for this one.

last edited at Apr 13, 2019 9:37AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.