Forum › Yamada to Kase-san discussion

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

I don't think there's such a thing as "late to the game" with this one, it's so aimless and slice-of-life. Unless maybe the author has a grand plan like having Kase save Yamada's taproot from x-1 awkward situations and then a finale where suddenly it's Kase who needs saving.

Anyone else think this place Yamada studies at looks a whole lot more like a vocational school than a university?

joined Dec 28, 2016

Being attracted to someone that you aren't going out with doesn't make it a love triangle... Humans can be beautiful and admired even if you're not seeing them.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I very much suspect this will be quickly resolved without any drama at all in the next chapter, especially if Yamada gets to actually visit Kase in her room.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Thanks Clueless1, and Blastaar. Now do you think Fukami knows Yamada is a girl.

My guess is: not yet.

joined Jun 27, 2017

Question, out of curiosity: do people in Japan really have to visit a hospital for something simple like a cold?

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

I'm guessing the school mandates it for students due to some liability reason.

last edited at Mar 28, 2019 7:58AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I'm guessing the school mandates it for students due to some liability reason.

In Germany, if you miss classes that are mandatory, you'd usually have to hand in some proof that you were actually ill, and the only proof you get is what a Doctor will give you, so ...

Usually though they don't care (or even more usually classes aren't mandatory in the first place. But still, could be a reason behind this).

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Question, out of curiosity: do people in Japan really have to visit a hospital for something simple like a cold?

It's my understanding that hospitals pretty commonly function as a standard practice doctor's office as well as handle emergent medicine. Also that they are often open during only certain business hours or on certain days, so it can be a real pain in the arse to find medical attention if you're unlucky enough to get sick on the weekend or late at night. Also, medicines often typically easily found on the shelf in the US are something that may require prescription there.

joined Jan 6, 2017

Her fever was pretty high (3.2 ℃ above the average body temperature in Japan). And since it's apparently her first fever ever, it's good to be safe and check what might have caused it.

joined Sep 6, 2018

Her fever was pretty high (3.2 ℃ above the average body temperature in Japan). And since it's apparently her first fever ever, it's good to be safe and check what might have caused it.

It's 103 °F for her temperature. It's bad, but not serious enough to go to emergency room over it.

joined Jul 26, 2016

And since it's apparently her first fever ever, it's good to be safe and check what might have caused it.

Sincere doubts about anyone being able to make it to that age without running a fever at least once. (Even leaving aside the matter that Japanese rainwater apparently carries extremely virulent microbes, going by animango tropes.) The heck is this author smoking...?

joined Jan 6, 2017

It's 103 °F for her temperature. It's bad, but not serious enough to go to emergency room over it.

Eh. I've had a temperature of 39.3 ℃, it's a higher than Kase's, but close enough. I went to see the doctor for it to get medication, since finding proper medication for high fevers is a bit difficult in my country. But since it's completely free in my country, it's much more common to go to a doctor for small issues such as a cold, a sprain, etc, than in the US (I assume you're from there since you're using Fahrenheit).

Images
joined Apr 13, 2018

repeatedly touches screen to turn to the next page WHAT? THAT'S IT?

That's me

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I'd rather think that when Fukami gets that Kase is dating a girl, she will give her several more points of respect. Because she's probably dating a girl herself. She kept her distances with Kase because she thought she was your average sporty girl. I think we will meet a "Yamada-like" partner of Fukami down the line.

Just a wild guess.

last edited at Mar 28, 2019 12:34PM

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

I'd rather think that when Fukami gets that Kase is dating a girl, she will give her several more points of respect. Because she's probably dating a girl herself. She kept her distances with Kase because she thought she was your average sporty girl. I think we will meet a "Yamada-like" partner of Fukami down the line.

Just a wild guess.

I like that. At least would be a bit more interesting than the "love triangle" prediction.
And then... Fukami introduces Hana-chan as her gf. XD (oh, wait, there's a manga on here with that sorta plot, isn't there?)

I personally imagine me some "Kase talking way too bluntly in her feverish state / flirting shamelessly with Yamada with Inoue and Fukami in earshot" shenanigans for the next chapter.

Today was a good day. My Vol.5 finally arrived per mail and a new chapter came up.
Excuse me now, while I re-read the cherry pop-- I mean, a very particular cherry blossoms chapter.

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

Hmm... OTP is definitely Kase X Yamada, but there is a stirring in my heart for Yumaki x Yamada all of the sudden as well

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Thanks Clueless1, and Blastaar. Now do you think Fukami knows Yamada is a girl.

Hard to mistake her for a boy! :V

Really, Fukami seems like a pretty sharp cookie, so I expect her to figure it out during this visit. ...or just eavesdrop on them and figure it out that way.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

It's my understanding that hospitals pretty commonly function as a standard practice doctor's office as well as handle emergent medicine. Also that they are often open during only certain business hours or on certain days, so it can be a real pain in the arse to find medical attention if you're unlucky enough to get sick on the weekend or late at night. Also, medicines often typically easily found on the shelf in the US are something that may require prescription there.

Around hear we have places called Urgent Care. They're like an emergency room lght. You go there for non life threatening emergencies, cuts, mild burns, sprains, bad cases of flu etc. They aren't open 24/7 but close.

joined Jul 31, 2013

I've loved this all along, but come on. Either come up with a new source of drama or start dealing with some of the deeper issues that have been set up with their relationship. I'd take either of those over redoing the same drama as before.

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yeaaaah, kinda tired of misunderstandings and jealousy plots that would be resolved in minutes if people talked to each other.

But things I'll never get tired of is Yamada's straight friends being supportive, and Yamada accidentally making Kase-san go from zero to too-horny-to-stand-upright in a couple of seconds.

last edited at Mar 29, 2019 11:26AM

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

Yeaaaah, kinda tired of misunderstandings and jealousy plots that would be resolved in minutes if people talked to each other.

But things I'll never get tired of is Yamada's straight friends being supportive, and Yamada accidentally making Kase-san go from zero to too-horny-to-stand-upright in a couple of seconds.

Well, I’m want to see some misunderstandings here. It’d be fun to see Yamada get jealous of the roommate. Even though the roommate’s probably the real jealous one.

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

Although, I have just been jumping around this series.

last edited at Mar 29, 2019 6:00PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. Some parts of jealousy plots might get solved by better communication, in as much as the jealous partner can rationally know their lover has no intention of leaving them. However, that doesn't necessarily make the feelings go away. For example, if Kase could get jealous of Hana because she gets to spend more time with Yamada. Even if Kase knows there's a good reason for that (Hana and Yamada are in the same department at the same school, while Kase isn't) and that Yamada wouldn't leave her for Hana, she still might be jealous because she wants to spend more time with her girlfriend and see's someone new getting to do that instead. Of course, this would likely result in very different behavior than if she actually thought there was something, besides friendship and plants, between Hana and Yamada.

This relates to another, similar, plot that I suspect is more likely on Yamada's end: Feelings of inadequacy. Even if you talk to your partner and know they think your great, better than anyone else you both know and you might compare yourself to, you still might feel like you come up short. It's perfectly possible for Yamada to look at Fukami and think "Wow! She's so cool, and pretty, and on top of things and I'm not and Kase is spending tons of time around her? What chance do I have?" Even if Kase then assures her that she prefers Yamada by a country mile, that's not going to erase all of the internal values that Yamada used to come to her conclusion, especially if she's more worried about Kase's feelings changing in the future.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

@Omega Deuse: That's exactly right.
The story started off with the premise of a socially inapt wallflower meeting and falling in love with a handsome and popular lesbian jesus.
There's more to it, but in a nutshell that's their base "characters". IMO they both did evolve since the very first chapters (or chronologically earliest flashbacks), although others may argue as that overall premise and baseline hasn't changed all that much. And they are not wrong: It's still the same story and both for story purposes as well as because - simply put - people hardly change their base character just by having sex, so this won't change all that much anytime soon. But again, I'd argue they did and do evolve.
Surely most of the "drama" could be prevented if the girls learned to communicate properly, but let's not forget that a) they are teenagers b) who are just learning how to relationship, c) with far from Citrus-level but rather realistic problems - and d) this is a fluff slice-of-life'esque manga telling the tale of an inside and out insecure girl being in a relationship with an outgoing one (that's actually a bit insecure and overwhelmed herself), a story about first love and the casual mistakes, that can and will be done by realistically flawed characters.
There could be more stories told with this couple and other issues could come up that had to be dealt with - but as Omega Deuse pointed out, life and feelz don't work that way. Certain things tend to keep coming up and there's a lot of learning and experience necessary until actual understanding settles in, on many levels. And I find, that makes this story charming and engaging.

Either way, I'm not even joking when I say, that I enjoy the mundane tale of these two dorks so much, I would even be happy with a whole chapter that has them just sitting there watching a movie in silence.

last edited at Mar 29, 2019 8:30PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Either way, I'm not even joking when I say, that I enjoy the mundane tale of these two dorks so much, I would even be happy with a whole chapter that has them just sitting there watching a movie in silence.

Lemme guess—Yamada does something cute, and Kase has a lust meltdown.

Yeah, that’ll work.

EDIT: Let me add: one of the miracles of this series is that Yamada is such a naive little dork, but Kase finds her to be the most sexually attractive entity ever created in the history of the universe—and we can totally see it (I can anyway).

If Yamada ever figures out what “bath pictures” are and goes with it, Kase may have an aneurysm.

last edited at Mar 29, 2019 8:52PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.