Forum › Lilium Terrarium discussion

Mina_run
joined Apr 16, 2018

Why did they translate it as "acting gay"...? That's so bad. Fucking hell.

And what would be a more appropriate translation?

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

Hah! GAY!

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

The original is ゆりごっこ which reads "Yuri-gokko" and I must say I'm really not sure how to best translate it. I mean, yuri is yuri, of course, but I don't know what gokko conveys in this context.
It was rendered by the scanlators as "acting gay" and perhaps we should just accept it and let it be.

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

It's one of those things that doesn't really translate well into other languages. Gotta work with what you got.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nene posted:

The original is ゆりごっこ which reads "Yuri-gokko" and I must say I'm really not sure how to best translate it. I mean, yuri is yuri, of course, but I don't know what gokko conveys in this context.
It was rendered by the scanlators as "acting gay" and perhaps we should just accept it and let it be.

"gokko" is the child's game of playing pretend, make believe. So thing you play at + gokko. So literally "playing yuri". Previous group translated it as "play pretend" which didn't really convey the meaning well. You could translate yuri as something like "being lesbians" so "pretending to be lesbians". You could roll with it or something similar, but it's one of those phrases where less literal translations work best and personally "acting gay" fits very well into context of the story. It sounds more natural or like something you would actually say during conversation. I prefer word lesbian, but gay become such universal word and is much more flexible in use, so I think in this case it works better.

last edited at Jan 19, 2019 11:17AM

Homura-devil
joined May 7, 2018

I wonder if I'm the only one who wants the two blondes to stop acting gay and become real-deal gay.

I think they are gay and just let their friends think they are acting gay to get away with it without causing some narrow minds to short circuit.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Annabeth_96 posted:

I wonder if I'm the only one who wants the two blondes to stop acting gay and become real-deal gay.

I think they are gay and just let their friends think they are acting gay to get away with it without causing some narrow minds to short circuit.

I thought that was the whole point.

joined Jul 4, 2018

I mean... blue is the warmest color sooo

I’m dead( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Man, I am SO happy I’m able to be in the few to be on the inside of this joke.

If you mean the French movie, I'm more or less certain most people here must have watched it - or at least they know about it. It was pretty popular.

Really? I didn’t the view count was that high...
Also, I skipped the movie and just read the graphic novel.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Man, this manga is so gay.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

I mean... blue is the warmest color sooo

I’m dead( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Man, I am SO happy I’m able to be in the few to be on the inside of this joke.

If you mean the French movie, I'm more or less certain most people here must have watched it - or at least they know about it. It was pretty popular.

Really? I didn’t the view count was that high...

In France it was a huge box-office success. In the rest of the world, I'm guessing not so much - but it did receive critical acclaim everywhere, and was popular with all communities interested in LGBT issues.

(Like us yuri fans, you see? That's why I said that here most people must know about this movie.)

Also, I skipped the movie and just read the graphic novel.

Imho the movie is better than the book.

I remember the author of the gn complained a lot about the adaptation, claiming that the director of the film had changed too much stuff. She was right in that there are big differences between film and book, but imo those changes are for the better. The gn is full of bad clichés about lesbian life and the main couple, after lotsa pain and suffering, meets a tragic end. In the movie, everything is much brighter: they have a torrid love affair, they enjoy it a lot, and, even though they eventually break up, they part on amicable terms and go on with their lives; one assumes that, in time, they will find new partners and have a happy future.

I prefer stories that don't depict lesbian life in a negative light, so I liked the movie better. Ymmv of course.

Fb_img_1557642301687
joined Aug 12, 2013

I love the art and color scheme

joined Mar 5, 2016

Nene posted:

"gokko" is the child's game of playing pretend, make believe. So thing you play at + gokko. So literally "playing yuri". Previous group translated it as "play pretend" which didn't really convey the meaning well. You could translate yuri as something like "being lesbians" so "pretending to be lesbians". You could roll with it or something similar, but it's one of those phrases where less literal translations work best and personally "acting gay" fits very well into context of the story. It sounds more natural or like something you would actually say during conversation. I prefer word lesbian, but gay become such universal word and is much more flexible in use, so I think in this case it works better.

"gay pretend" does rhyme and is generally more poetic but it also isn't as clear as "acting gay"

Inai hou ga ii ningen
joined May 23, 2018

I cant wait for more chapters. But i think they'll focus on different couples

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Sanae is a lady killer

24-1
joined Sep 21, 2011

Loved it. Totally my type.

Screen%20shot%202017-11-22%20at%201.04.04%20pm
joined Nov 18, 2017

Why is the art so damn aesthetically pleasing? It's just adding blue with less shading? Why does it work?

last edited at Jan 20, 2019 2:43AM

Bd-9rivccaa0cut
joined Aug 10, 2015

Yeah, the art is gorgeous. Count me in.

48415285_590924341357470_2320604137500180480_n
joined Jan 1, 2019

"Hey look they're gay, I wanna rape you so lets be gay as well"

What?

They sound like they're trolling. Twisting events so they're intentionally misconstrued just so they can claim someone is being sexually assaulted, all for the sake of starting a fight or fake controversy. Lately and unfortunately it seems to be a common way for people to troll. Better to just ignore it in my opinion, and hope a mod slaps them on the wrist for trying to stir up problems.

prays to madoka not to get zucc'd

last edited at Jan 20, 2019 5:35AM

Kokoko
joined Mar 14, 2014

Pretty serious here, those looks Sanae kept dishing out got my nonexistent womanhood tingling.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

What?

They sound like they're trolling. Twisting events so they're intentionally misconstrued just so they can claim someone is being sexually assaulted, all for the sake of starting a fight or fake controversy. Lately and unfortunately it seems to be a common way for people to troll. Better to just ignore it in my opinion, and hope a mod slaps them on the wrist for trying to stir up problems.

Your prayer were not answered. See you in a month.

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

What?

Savage and I love it.
Also good advice on just ignoring trolls.
Also loving this work more and more with every new chapter.

Makasete
joined Sep 21, 2016

Love this, thanks scanlators!

Images
joined Sep 30, 2018

I'm loving the art esp the presence of color blue--Blue is the warmest color !! And of course the story and all

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

Savage and I love it.

i think that was too much i mean i don´t think the original coment was ill intended but who am i to question the authority

last edited at Jan 31, 2019 1:30AM

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Sanae? Kanako? What's next, Sawako?

To reply you must either login or sign up.