Forum › My Cute Little Kitten discussion

9b1d0703-1cf0-4df6-bc19-0b2abfd56881
joined Nov 23, 2015

I’m getting bit of de ja vu reading the second chapter. Was it posted somewhere beforehand or is there a similar manga with kinda the same beginning like this one?

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

I’m getting bit of de ja vu reading the second chapter. Was it posted somewhere beforehand or is there a similar manga with kinda the same beginning like this one?

It was on here before. The translator added a few jokes and some longtime users lost their minds.

2017-06-09-10-36-16-
joined Mar 29, 2017

It was on here before. The translator added a few jokes and some longtime users lost their minds.

It was writent to be in a diffrent accent and kinda took away from the story. It was "fine" in the terms of you could read it but when you add jokes into a plot that isnt ready to accept them you change the meaning of the story. That is only adding to the fact the plot gets a bit lost due to the act of translation so it was not the best. Im sure the person was nice enough but unless your translateing a comedy story where the plot is throwaway at best, adding in comedy is a bad idea (this is not limited to Japanese to English).

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

It was writent to be in a diffrent accent and kinda took away from the story. It was "fine" in the terms of you could read it but when you add jokes into a plot that isnt ready to accept them you change the meaning of the story. That is only adding to the fact the plot gets a bit lost due to the act of translation so it was not the best. Im sure the person was nice enough but unless your translateing a comedy story where the plot is throwaway at best, adding in comedy is a bad idea (this is not limited to Japanese to English).

It didn't meet the standards of this site, and that's fair to say. However I don't agree with criticizing a first time writer quite so excessively. It would have sufficed to let them know it wasn't up to par and take it down, rather than publicly humiliate them and accuse them of deliberately tarnishing both the work and manga translation as a whole.

That said it's in the past and everyone's already made their opinion on the matter clear, so I'll stop.

last edited at Oct 30, 2018 2:06AM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Wait. Didn't I read this before?

joined Feb 23, 2016

Omg... i need more of this morinaga( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

joined Jul 20, 2011

Wait. Didn't I read this before?

You probably did. It seems it's just been reuploaded with an improved translation.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

themusicman500 posted:

It would have sufficed to let them know it wasn't up to par and take it down, rather than publicly humiliate them and accuse them of deliberately tarnishing both the work and manga translation as a whole.

Except that is what we did. Someone pointed out translation was inaccurate and MrCatt response was "Yes I know. I rewrote it on purpose, because that is how I do things". Then everyone started to criticize him. In fact, most of it wasn't aimed at him, but other people defending his translation with "it doesn't matter it is nothing like original" and "we should be grateful we got something". Person in question actually didn't respond much and when he did, he pretty much outright said, he doesn't care whatever his translation is accurate or not, because that is the way he translate stuff. He even admitted after all of it, he is going to tl it for russians and he will make identical changes, despite knowing full well they will hate it too. You can check comments, since they are still there.

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

Yeah, Nevri pretty much explains what drove me (and others) to being so caustic in criticizing him: He admitted that he knew what a generally straightforward translation of the lines should be, and yet chose to inject nonexistent accent and jokes into the dialogue because that was "funnier" to him.

I would cut some slack to a first-time translator who honestly didn't know that they made a mistake and, when criticized about said mistakes, accepts the blame and assures his critics that he'll do his best to avoid repeating the errors in the future. In contrast, I categorically refuse to give any sort of leniency or even dignity to a self-proclaimed "translation" that deliberately twists the dialogue and narration to fit what the "translator" thinks the story should look like; that sort of "translator" and anyone who dares defend them deserve nothing but scorn and ridicule to the end of time.

joined Mar 5, 2016

can't say it's an error to write a comedy translation, as such. it's a choice. it isn't like you accidentally stumble into accents and jokes. it's inaccurate, sure, but that's hardly the sin you claim it is. haha.

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

can't say it's an error to write a comedy translation, as such. it's a choice. it isn't like you accidentally stumble into accents and jokes. it's inaccurate, sure, but that's hardly the sin you claim it is. haha.

Lord's sake please don't.

joined Aug 24, 2016

I honestly liked that attempt to adapt an accent, and I usually really hate that sort of thing. As far a putting some kind of blame on the translator, I simply can't go that far as they are offering a service for free. Would I prefer it if altered translations were noted as such by the translator themselves? Of course I would. In this case, however, a new translator attempts to have some fun and (collectively) we can categorize it right?

That said I probably shouldn't have chipped in to this derailment, so I apologize for that.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

I will not silently suffer having "onigiri = cookie"

What? I only see jelly donuts on that page. I have no idea what you're talking about.

(Couldn't you could kind of sort of make a case for that "Rei is related to Shinji" thing if you really wanted to? Isn't she cloned from Shinji's mom? It's been ages since I last watched NGE though, I'm probably forgetting something important.)

(Not sure why you would want to make any case for Rei in any sense though. She's the most overrated girl in all of anime.)

last edited at Oct 30, 2018 5:19PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Does anyone have anything to say about the one that is actually here?

Any idea how many more there will be?

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This is starting really nice.
Also, this is only the second Morinaga Milk story I read.

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

Any idea how many more there will be?

Issue 7 of Galette came out in August and had chapter 5 of this in it. I just look at the pretty pictures and nod.

No clue on whether this scanlation group/person plans on doing more, according to their site it's commission based.

Kikaluna Uploader
Ef2_zi-u4ae1h8g
Noca Scans
joined Nov 20, 2017

No clue on whether this scanlation group/person plans on doing more, according to their site it's commission based.

Yuri-Project will work on the other chapters (in fact, chapter 3 is already translated).

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yuri-Project will work on the other chapters (in fact, chapter 3 is already translated).

Yay! (And thanks to the scanlators.)

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Yay! (And thanks to the scanlators.)

Seconding that yay and also extending my thanks to the scanlators!

last edited at Oct 31, 2018 10:07AM

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

Thirdededdedd, big thanks to all those involved!

F494445ccf14390bf6c2ed5513bce72a
joined Oct 31, 2013

Thank you! Can't wait to read it!

Sshot-8
joined Oct 25, 2011

Well, they kind of look like Meru and Akki again, but their personalities are pretty far away from Morinaga's usual pair of personality templates, so I'm sold.

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Not a cat person but this manga really makes me want to have a cat

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

Lord's sake please don't.

Don't worry, I don't dignify trolls like that with a response.

I honestly liked that attempt to adapt an accent, and I usually really hate that sort of thing.

Except the accent didn't exist to begin with in the source material. He simply invented it from scratch, just for the sake of "comedy".

As far a putting some kind of blame on the translator, I simply can't go that far as they are offering a service for free.

Free or not, he got up the hopes of people who are used to faithful translations and betrayed them. It's perfectly natural and justified that he'd have a lot of outrage thrown at him.

In this case, however, a new translator attempts to have some fun and (collectively) we can categorize it right?

... I'm guessing you meant something else by "categorize", because it makes no sense in the context of your post.

I will not silently suffer having "onigiri = cookie"

What? I only see jelly donuts on that page. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Har har. Not funny.

(Couldn't you could kind of sort of make a case for that "Rei is related to Shinji" thing if you really wanted to? Isn't she cloned from Shinji's mom? It's been ages since I last watched NGE though, I'm probably forgetting something important.)

The doujinshi takes place in AU where she's just a "relative", with no specifics given as to the nature of the relation.

(Not sure why you would want to make any case for Rei in any sense though. She's the most overrated girl in all of anime.)

That's your subjective opinion, not objective fact. The end. :P

PS: I don't really have a favorite girl in NGE, if you're wondering. Rei, Asuka, Mana, Mayumi, Mari, Misato... I ship them all (as well as others) with Shinji. And each other.

2017-06-09-10-36-16-
joined Mar 29, 2017

I honestly liked that attempt to adapt an accent, and I usually really hate that sort of thing. As far a putting some kind of blame on the translator, I simply can't go that far as they are offering a service for free. Would I prefer it if altered translations were noted as such by the translator themselves? Of course I would. In this case, however, a new translator attempts to have some fun and (collectively) we can categorize it right?

That said I probably shouldn't have chipped in to this derailment, so I apologize for that.

Ill extend to branch and simply say just because you get something for free does not make it imune to critique. Here are a few examples. I make a video about a game/movie i dislike it but i make up points randomly. The video is free on youtube so im imune to the backlash? No infact I could be charged with miss information legal issues. I fix the pipes in your house for free but instead of glue I use gum and it fails in 2 days you have a right to be angry. Just because something was free does not make it immune to the crittical eye in fact it makes it more open because of the ammount of eyes on it. If you are willing to forgive something like that because it was free then you need to accept the above examples because again they are free.

Even more important now its obvious that the authors over in Japan are aware of our exsistance (see isya) if they see a well made translation instead of one that messes with the orignal they will be more likely to work with us rather then just file a dmca take down(again see isya). So you could argue its even more important. Thats just my 2 cents on the matter.

To reply you must either login or sign up.