joined Mar 7, 2017

I love manga like this, it's so relaxing

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

when will they start living together

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

I think you'd make a really good mom.

I think we all know what that means! Yes, science babies! SCIENCE BABIES!!!

@ oguzhan96
So, where's your avatar from anyway? I think it's hilarious, but I don't recognize any of those characters.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Could just mean adopted science-free babies.

It'd be interesting to watch them being groomed to be fashionista bookworms.
. . . Damn those two are just so cute together.

last edited at Jul 28, 2017 3:19PM

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

GOD DAMN IT YOU TWO, START LIVING TOGETHER ALREADY YOU STUPIDLY ADORABLE ASSHOLES

Asagi_d4
joined Feb 23, 2017

when will they start living together

When they find an apartment that has a couple hundred square feet of storage area probably.

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

@ oguzhan96
So, where's your avatar from anyway? I think it's hilarious, but I don't recognize any of those characters.

Peko and Mahiru from Danganronpa 2

Tumblr_inline_mnt4g3zxm31qz4rgp
joined Jul 23, 2017

Best series returns!

When will I be rich enough to just buy new clothes on an outing ;-; they are collectors after all

joined Apr 29, 2013

Thank you for translating!

joined Mar 23, 2013

I love how the husband is totally cool (and in fact endlessly amused) with Naomi's weird lesbian friends.

He's calm and collected, just sipping his drink. He also seem to be (granted it's only 2 panels, but we probably won't see him again) one of those characters that suffers from the "closed eyes" syndrome. Even worst, he appears to be smiling.

We all know what that means, pray that no one ever finds out.

last edited at Jul 30, 2017 9:07PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I love how the husband is totally cool (and in fact endlessly amused) with Naomi's weird lesbian friends.

He's calm and collected, just sipping his drink. He also seem to be (granted it's only 2 panels, but we probably won't see him again) one of those characters that suffers from the "closed eyes" syndrome. Even worst, he appears to be smiling.

We all know what that means, pray that no one ever finds out.

Hasn't he met them, knowing they're a couple in a previous chapter?

joined Mar 23, 2013

Hasn't he met them, knowing they're a couple in a previous chapter?

It's possible but since the releases are some time apart my memory can't handle this sort of data retrieval.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

I like the concept and characters in this series, but the panel format, combined with the rather wordy dialogue, makes it feel kind of... uncomfortably dense? There's nothing too abnormal about how the characters talk, but almost every single sentence is written in a formal manner. I think a little terseness, and perhaps a slightly less literal translation, could have gone a long way.

last edited at Jul 31, 2017 4:40AM

joined Jun 7, 2017

I like the concept and characters in this series, but the panel format, combined with the rather wordy dialogue, makes it feel kind of... uncomfortably dense? There's nothing too abnormal about how the characters talk, but almost every single sentence is written in a formal manner. I think a little terseness, and perhaps a slightly less literal translation, could have gone a long way.

So you would rather the translator didn't actually translate what was there, but instead summarized what was there? I thought the whole point is to keep the mangaka's works as intact as possible? This is the style for this manga. In the raws, a lot is crammed into the panels. That's just the style of Collectors itself.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

So you would rather the translator didn't actually translate what was there, but instead summarized what was there? I thought the whole point is to keep the mangaka's works as intact as possible? This is the style for this manga. In the raws, a lot is crammed into the panels. That's just the style of Collectors itself.

These questions are a little disingenuous. I'm sure you're aware there's a middle ground between perfectly literal translation and summarizing/bastardizing.
I don't know how this manga reads in the original Japanese, but I'm grateful for the scanlator's hard work. If this translation captures the intent of the original author, then I have no basis to criticize. However it's fair to say the information density is one thing I don't enjoy, nor partularly understand about this manga.

last edited at Jul 31, 2017 6:55AM

pkChinensis Uploader
Lililicious
joined Jan 9, 2011

Thanks for the feedback. This is how I personally see the characters' speech styles, which are a complex expression of their personalities and backgrounds. Other readers and translators may disagree. As for the degree of literalness, even labeling that at all is extremely subjective, but I would say I tend to fall on the more liberal side in comparison to the general trend in scanlation.

If you're looking for a similar manga that is less dense, I would suggest Under One Roof by Fujio.

pkChinensis Uploader
Lililicious
joined Jan 9, 2011
 However it's fair to say the information density is one thing I don't enjoy, nor partularly understand about this manga. 

Nishi Uko packs a lot of information into her works. Even where the text is sparse, she uses visual cues to encourage readers to read between the lines. She had an interesting essay on this in the "Yuri Culture" issue of Eureka.
If this is not a style you like, perhaps you would prefer to read a different artist's works instead.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Nishi Uko packs a lot of information into her works. Even where the text is sparse, she uses visual cues to encourage readers to read between the lines. She had an interesting essay on this in the "Yuri Culture" issue of Eureka.
If this is not a style you like, perhaps you would prefer to read a different artist's works instead.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. The thing about the literalness of the translation was a shot in the dark and it seems be just the way the author writes, so I apologize.

I've read all of Nishi Uko's works on this site, and I actually find her style of writing works really well for her science fiction themed stories. In manga like this one, that deal with realistic relationship interactions, I'm not sure what the intention is behind the characters' heavy and formal speech patterns. Is this simply a Japanese cultural thing? Or is it used because the author happens to like the way it reads?

pkChinensis Uploader
Lililicious
joined Jan 9, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to respond. The thing about the literalness of the translation was a shot in the dark and it seems be just the way the author writes, so I apologize.

Thanks for your apology.

joined Aug 14, 2016

Love this manga. I'm always re-reading it. So glad there's a new chapter. ❤❤❤

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

It says it's ongoing, but there hasn't been a new chapter in over a year. I really like this story, so I kind of want it to end properly... Is it going to continue?

Weh
joined Nov 20, 2016

Whoa! Unexpected but not unwelcome.
Kinda missed these two

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Wooo! Collectors is back!

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

NISHI UKO'S COLLECTORS IS BACK?! I've missed it immensely oh my gosh. I need to know if there is a continuation or if the series has already ended. I'd love to just see more of Nishi Uko's work here. I love all the stories and art. There's so much feeling and sensitivity in each series or oneshot

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

NISHI UKO'S COLLECTORS IS BACK?! I've missed it immensely oh my gosh. I need to know if there is a continuation or if the series has already ended.

Patience shall be rewarded. Based on the table of contents, there's at least 10 chapters still in the pipeline.

I really need to buy this series. The only downside of having moved is that there's no Kinokuniya near me anymore.

To reply you must either login or sign up.