Forum › Nanako from the Neighborhood discussion

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

myy posted:

Disgusting, it would be better if there were no filthy men in the manga.

completly agree the shitty ending ruined it all! i fell deceived by the tags! i can feel sh*tty drama coming! and the sh*tty "moving on" moral of all yuri with bad endings as if it was the easiest thing on earth making you waste your time over a story leading to nothing at least! curse the husband seriously.

There's no yuri tag.

Alrigh alright is obviously fine to love girls but we're going to far hating men... specially we haven't even see him! I can't even tell if you're all serious or not.

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

This is still only the first chapter, so there is room for the tags to change and evolve in the future.

last edited at Aug 29, 2018 12:58AM

Jamal_Williams69
joined May 13, 2018

I know we all yuri lovers on this site dawg, but that doesn't mean we have to hate men lmao, what did I just read

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Sad. Either route this manga goes is bad. Unrequited lesbian love vs. Wife who cheats. Meh

The first chapter isn't exactly foreboding wrenching drama though. It could take a light flirty or yuri crush direction...

Pg 11-12? Unless it was just one of those things where you think the character starts crying, but doesn't

joined Jul 26, 2016

Alrigh alright is obviously fine to love girls but we're going to far hating men... specially we haven't even see him! I can't even tell if you're all serious or not.

It does somewhat concern me that only too often it's quite impossible to tell the difference between satirical exaggeration and earnest fundamentalism here. : |

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

Maybe her husband is actually a woman. Yes, it’s gonna be like that! it’s gonna.....I need to stop lying to myself. ToT

We can make this work! Mangaka-sensei has never seen Nanako's husband. Nanako just knows she has an NTR fetish, so she invented him.

Bonus: Nanako is the writer for a manga about a perverted, semi-NEET lesbian mangaka.

Ah, nice one about a fake wife catering to the NTR fetish of her love interest. Works for me!

But making them both mangaka who write about each other is a bit...

Sad. Either route this manga goes is bad. Unrequited lesbian love vs. Wife who cheats. Meh.

Then the Wife Who Cheats agrees to elope with you, and, when she asks where the two of you should go, your reply is: "To the Moon."

I wonder how many of y'all can identify that reference. ^.^

She wasn't cheating though. Everyone who got together with her was made aware she had a husband and male and female lovers The whole point of the series was the MC weighing the pros and cons of her being one of them.

Also did they really elope? I thought she stayed married to the husband.

Okay I give up. Some kind soul tell me what title you're talking about?

I wonder if they're talking about this...
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_space_voyage_with_suwako_san#2
and this
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_date_with_suwako_san

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Baka uptades says this is romance but this feels like a comedy series to me. I feel like each chapter mangaka girl will go all fangirl over housewife. I can't say anything because first two chapters were pretty empty but art is good i liked it

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I need answers, like how they met and such...
Is really cute !

DR2 Hajime Hinata
joined Jul 20, 2016

Well, this doesn't look like it will go anywhere, but I'll read it anyway

This manga could be called "worst neighbor & best neighbor"

I'm pretty sure Shiro wouldn't do this if she knew her neighbor wasn't this nice

last edited at Aug 31, 2018 6:59PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I wonder if they're talking about this...
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_space_voyage_with_suwako_san#2

Hehe, that's right. That's the story I always remember when someone claims that you shouldn't go after a married woman because you cannot win against her hubby. Actually, you don't know, and you'll never know until you try. That's what Mikage learns, repeatedly, in this manga: every time she starts thinking to herself "I'm doomed, this won't work, she'll never say yes, I'll just get hurt..." she nevertheless goes and gives it a try. And it works. Just like that. All the way to the end when she and Suwako elope together.

This is a very Japanese way of thinking. In the West, most people are terrified of trying and failing, because they fear they will be mocked and branded as losers. In Japanese media, the prevalent message is: if you want something, go for it and do your best! If you fail, you'll have no regrets -- because, if you couldn't get it even after trying your best, it means that it was always beyond your reach. But if you give up without even trying, you'll live the rest of your life with bitter remorse -- wondering if perhaps you could have succeeded, if only you'd had the courage to try.

Image0
joined May 22, 2018

That husband better be hotter than Levi Ackerman, my boi Kaneki Ken or, Sasuke. If the husband is some plain ass dude with no good traits I will be so angry.

joined Feb 23, 2016

Hahaha she’s prizeless

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

Yes, normally the history with male mc wil ldrawn directly to cheating.
Hope happens decent because omg yes.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

I'm glad the story is actually about these two. lol
I wonder if this should be tagged as food, even though we don't actually see Nanako's food.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Sad. Either route this manga goes is bad. Unrequited lesbian love vs. Wife who cheats. Meh.

Then the Wife Who Cheats agrees to elope with you, and, when she asks where the two of you should go, your reply is: "To the Moon."

I wonder how many of y'all can identify that reference. ^.^

She wasn't cheating though. Everyone who got together with her was made aware she had a husband and male and female lovers The whole point of the series was the MC weighing the pros and cons of her being one of them.

Also did they really elope? I thought she stayed married to the husband.

I will repost something I wrote in the "Touma-kun" thread after this same work was brought up.

That is not the only difference, unlike Touma, Suwako actually respects the privacy of her partners and expects the same in return, though she is not completely consistent on this issue. However, a much bigger difference, at least in my opinion, is the fact Touma does not hide her nature and is completely open and upfront about it, while Suwako lies and cheats.

One thing they have in common is that both are uncaring about their partners (yes, I know she came the day before, but that is not how actual caring works, "I will care for you on Mondays, other days of the week screw you"), and the moment something more is expected of them, they back away (or more accurately in Suwako's case, remind their partners of the boundaries). Note that the main character in the "Space Voyage" is not alright with the arrangement, and Suwako knows this, she just does not give a fuck, despite what the main character tells herself in the sequel.

Still, even though I absolutely loathe Suwako (not really sure why, to be honest, usually I am unbothered by cheating, but something about her just pisses me off, maybe it is that "oopsie, ehehe, silly little me" face she so often sports), I do not actually blame her for her lover's sufferings, because Suwako clearly stipulated her conditions and the main character willingly agreed to them. Even after the practice showed to the main character that she hates it, she still willingly persisted in maintaining the relationship. She can just leave whenever she desires, plenty of other people have done so. So the main character gets no sympathy from me, lol, she is the architect of her own anguish. When you make yourself suffer like that, you literally reap what you sowed.

TL;DR: Suwako lies and cheats, and no, her partners are not made aware of the fact she has more of them simultaneously, and although it is never stated, I doubt her husband knows she has other partners to begin with, considering she lied to him why she was going out when seeing the main character. Much like the actual characters in that work, the readers apparently have the need to somehow dismiss her cheating as being not actually cheating (I mean, it is even tagged, for fuck's sake).

Edit: It has been so long since I read this, so I forgot, but it actually is stated that her husband is in the dark about her cheating habits, since she bluntly proposes to the main character for the two of them to have a "secret affair". And considering that she previously had three simultaneous boyfriends who did not know about each other at all and were furious when they did find out, she obviously cheats on all of her partners, not just her husband.

last edited at Sep 1, 2018 8:17PM

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

Disgusting, it would be better if there were no filthy men in the manga.

Agreed. Yuri should not be contaminated by the presence of vile opposite sex heathens

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

Yeah, I’m a firm believer that Nanako made up having a husband. Maybe she felt insecure about being 29 and single (because she’s amazing and men are too intimidated to approach her) so she bought a fake ring and lies to everyone.

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

so this is my guess:
Nanako is a single woman and a fan of Shirozuma's work. One day, she finds out that Shirozuma lives in the same apartment, so she visits her. However, to her surprise, Shirozuma is a girl with a messy apartment! So Nanako immediately starts to clean the apartment up. When Shirozuma asks her if she is single, Nanako, embarrassed, impulsively lies that she has a husband because the truth was too mortifying, that she helped out the mangaka because she fell in love with her at first sight. So in order to keep up the ruse, Nanako bought a fake ring and always mentions "her husband" whenever she feels that Shirozuma is getting too intimate with her.

well, either that or Nanako is actually a straight, married woman. :P

last edited at Sep 1, 2018 11:17AM

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

A secret yuri-muse, lol let's see how many gags we can get out of this series

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Nanako is a single woman and a fan of Shirozuma's work. One day, she finds out that Shirozuma lives in the same apartment, so she visits her. However, to her surprise, Shirozuma is a girl with a messy apartment! So Nanako immediately starts to clean the apartment up. When Shirozuma asks her if she is single, Nanako, embarrassed, impulsively lies that she has a husband because the truth was too mortifying, that she helped out the mangaka because she fell in love with her at first sight. So in order to keep up the ruse, Nanako bought a fake ring and always mentions "her husband" whenever she feels that Shirozuma is getting too intimate with her.

That could work... but, with Nanako's looks, finding a high-quality husband should be the easiest thing in the world.

Therefore, to explain the fact that she's 29 and still single, you also need to posit that she is, like, totally gay and has zero interest in men.

(I have nothing against that development, of course. :P)

last edited at Sep 1, 2018 4:41PM

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

Shirokuma-sensei has great legs. Nanako's are great too but she has great everything.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

In my case I am talking about Suwako-chan. Her two stories are in Dark, Marsh, Nightwood
and I'll Bring You Mille-Feuille! by Sakamoto Mano. She did agree to elope,in a sense, but it was spoiled because she was obviously prone to un-elope back to her husband if they encountered him again. Also I might have it totally wrong because where the woman in love with Suwako-san asked to elope to was "to Space!"

So quite possibly I got the wrong "lesbian in love with married woman convinces her to elope off-planet" series.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
joined Jul 20, 2016

so this is my guess:

well, either that or Nanako is actually a straight, married woman. :P

I would like for that to happen but it doesn't seem like she works, and if she did I don't think Shiro would call her a housewife

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

That's the story I always remember when someone claims that you shouldn't go after a married woman because you cannot win against her hubby. Actually, you don't know, and you'll never know until you try. That's what Mikage learns, repeatedly, in this manga: every time she starts thinking to herself "I'm doomed, this won't work, she'll never say yes, I'll just get hurt..." she nevertheless goes and gives it a try. And it works. Just like that. All the way to the end when she and Suwako elope together.

This is a very Japanese way of thinking. In the West, most people are terrified of trying and failing, because they fear they will be mocked and branded as losers. In Japanese media, the prevalent message is: if you want something, go for it and do your best! If you fail, you'll have no regrets -- because, if you couldn't get it even after trying your best, it means that it was always beyond your reach. But if you give up without even trying, you'll live the rest of your life with bitter remorse -- wondering if perhaps you could have succeeded, if only you'd had the courage to try.

Ah, I get it now. Cool! I'm totally gonna read that story. It reminds me of another short manga, "A Pitiable Boss And A Pathetic Liason" by Amano Shuninta, where the MC faces the same problem. The woman she likes is married, and, what's more, is also her boss at work; which is to say, one wrong step and she could even get fired! Well, in the climactic scene, she hugs her boss and moves for a kiss... and her boss, after the initial surprise, blushes, closes her eyes and puckers up! And the MC thinks: THIS IS A TRIUMPH FOR THE AGES!!! Like that, in big capitals, lol. I really loved that scene. This is the page:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_pitiable_boss_and_a_pathetic_liason#17

last edited at Sep 3, 2018 7:58PM

Smug
joined Dec 16, 2015

I'll give the artist this: They do remember that she does have a wedding ring on her left hand's ring finger. And not only that, but for Chapter 1, they hide the ring finger thoughout it until the end. (And for chapter 2 they don't show it at all) Still, unless the husband appears in some way, I'm gonna consider him to just be a lie for Nanako playing up the housewife angle.

To reply you must either login or sign up.