Forum › Eden no Otome discussion

joined Jul 26, 2016

So far Kanamori's the only prior member of the club who isn't at least hinted to have Some Issues™ while Aoi's already off the deep end, and given the rate it's been going I'm not holding my breath on the former either.

...on a completely different note what's with the MahiMahi expy Actually Not Identical Twins first-years?

joined Aug 28, 2016

The art in https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/eden_no_otome_ch04#10 seemed like it was implying at least some degree of penetration to me, but it's pretty vague.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nya-chan posted:

Definition of rape is tricky in some cases.

I think we are safe to assume it was at least sexual assault, which is just as bad.

joined Mar 15, 2017

Seeing how their species gets pregnant without penetration and the organ adapted for sexual penetration no longer exists, it would be strange if they still put much importance on whether a sexual act was penetrative or not. At least not enough for something like digital-genital contact to be worth being a different conviction depending on whether penetration was proved.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Reejun posted:

Seeing how their species gets pregnant without penetration and the organ adapted for sexual penetration no longer exists, it would be strange if they still put much importance on whether a sexual act was penetrative or not. At least not enough for something like digital-genital contact to be worth being a different conviction depending on whether penetration was proved.

It's an interesting question: in a world devoid of males, would the definition of rape change? Rape exists in the animal kingdom, so the concept can't be alien to this women only society.

I doubt the author thought that far, but it's maybe worth pondering in a philosophical point of view.

joined Jul 26, 2016

I don't think a legal definition is going to be very relevant here, unless Kohane decides to press charges and this suddenly metamorphoses into a courtroom drama...
Now that would certainly be one unforeseen plot twist.

Practically speaking it's clear what Aoi was intending to do; exactly how far she got before the cavalry arrived is probably somewhat irrelevant to everyone involved.

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

What if this just ended with Aoi successfully raping Kohane and impregnating her? Talk about mind break

Senpai
joined Dec 12, 2017

What if this just ended with Aoi successfully raping Kohane and impregnating her? Talk about mind break

I will enjoy this when mind broken Kohane will snap back at Aoi. Raping the rapist feels the best.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Suddenly Grimdark D:

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

that_one posted:

I will enjoy this when mind broken Kohane will snap back at Aoi. Raping the rapist feels the best.

I'd never thought the day would come that people in comments on Dynasty, would talk how they want more rape in their yuri story ;v

last edited at May 10, 2018 6:06PM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I'd never thought the day would come that people in comments on Dynasty, would talk how they want more rape in their yuri story ;v

Why not? Rape is clearly the purest expression of yuri. Just imagine a world where everybody rapes everyone else ...

joined Dec 4, 2016

that_one posted:

That assuming all Yuri fan prefer pure vanilla story. I just fail to see what pure have anything to do with liking Yuri.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Yikuph posted:

that_one posted:

That assuming all Yuri fan prefer pure vanilla story. I just fail to see what pure have anything to do with liking Yuri.

I never said anything about liking stuff pure or whatever. I was specifically talking about rape, which seems to be common trigger for most people here.

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

Yikuph posted:

that_one posted:

I never said anything about liking stuff pure or whatever. I was specifically talking about rape, which seems to be common trigger for most people here.

Some people develop rape fetishes after experiencing rape. I think it gives them back the control they lost. The more you know

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

So Aoi's gonna get expelled, arrested, convicted, and imprisoned, right? They're not going to just let her go after she fucking raped someone, right?

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

schuyguy posted:

So Aoi's gonna get expelled, arrested, convicted, and imprisoned, right? They're not going to just let her go after she fucking raped someone, right?

Do you really expect common senses from manga?

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Do you really expect common senses from manga?

More than common sense, it's a question of whether the author takes their own work seriously. What's the point of even putting rape in the story if the characters are barely going to react? Why should the readers care if the author doesn't? I'm sure the characters will react to the rape as if it were on the level of say, getting slapped in the face. So why not write it with the girl slapping her instead of raping her?

Parnifia the Bastard
Chrome_2018-04-13_12-33-32-min%20(3)
joined Aug 4, 2014

Well, this may be the single most ridiculous narrative I've experienced so far this year. The aftermath of the rape was just stupid and unbelievable, and the fact that Kohane went back tells me she'll just continue to walk into awful situations because she's a worthless idiot of a protagonist. I'm having trouble rooting for any character, in fact, although I especially want Aoi to die. Why does she get to be a major character? I don't want to read about someone as horrible as her without seeing her get comeuppance.
There's a way to make stories like this work, and the author doesn't seem to know what that way is. Why this got a second volume is quite beyond me.

Midnightgunner
Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

So Aoi's not gonna suffer any consequence whatsoever after she did? And it appears the author wants us to just roll with it? That's just stupid... And poor writting. Let's see where it goes but I if this turns out to be even a little decent, I would be extremely surprised.

joined Apr 1, 2017

Feels like there's some kind of spoopy shit going on, seeing as how even the MC remarks at how normal everyone is acting after she was nearly raped, even she herself is surprised by it as if something is fucking with her emotions.

joined Apr 15, 2013

You can really tell that this is the author's first manga. I'm not saying it's bad, but... yeah... it's a bit sophomoric.

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

Judging from the author’s notes, it looks like the rape scene was partly to explain how pregnancy works in this world. Of course, that doesn’t justify anything, but I guess that might be a reason why it was shown at all...?

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Rape in manga is pretty damn common. We see it less in yuri, but it's a staple in Jousei (or use to be, at least) and was pretty common in those melodramatic shoujo romances, not to mention I hear it was a yaoi go to. It might be really off putting to us, but it's still a romance manga mainstay. Also pregnancy and abortion, which is a level of angst and drama I hope it doesn't escalate to.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Judging from the author’s notes, it looks like the rape scene was partly to explain how pregnancy works in this world. Of course, that doesn’t justify anything, but I guess that might be a reason why it was shown at all...?

They already infodumped the whole monogender thing in classroom, not really seeing why the reproductive details couldn't be covered the same way.

Established Aoi's yandere credentials if nothing else I suppose.

last edited at May 15, 2018 12:14AM

DemacianSentry
Symbol%20small002
joined Aug 26, 2015

This future sounds horrible. So many possible experiences will be taken from their lives. Like, how will they ever know the simplicity of going to the kitchen and making a man a damn sandwich?

last edited at May 15, 2018 1:19AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.