joined Jun 3, 2017

The play are too long wtf

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

Anyone else cry at the end of the play? Or just me ;u;

Im so hyped this is getting an anime.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So what's up with Nara-sensei, the community theater director, and her "Ah, I see"?

Maybe she knew Mio, Touko's sister? Or knows the family situation, anyway. At any rate, she's the only recent new element that I can see.

Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

So what's up with Nara-sensei, the community theater director, and her "Ah, I see"?

Maybe she knew Mio, Touko's sister? Or knows the family situation, anyway. At any rate, she's the only recent new element that I can see.

I know. That got me too.
Bruh. He finally understood.
Also "I was special to you " that got me right in the feels. Like "...Damn"

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I absolutely loved the play. Touko's showing no signs of being disaffected from Yuu. Yuu's caretaker role is self-assigned, after all. She just has to decide if she'll still be close with Touko "for no reason," or for a reason. The obstacles are 1. her anitpathy to romance and 2. that Touko already has a devoted girlfriend waiting in the wings if her infatuation for Yuu ends.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

I took it as that she heard Touko's parents talking and she figured out what the play was all about.

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

T'was lit, fam

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

I absolutely loved the play. Touko's showing no signs of being disaffected from Yuu. Yuu's caretaker role is self-assigned, after all. She just has to decide if she'll still be close with Touko "for no reason," or for a reason. The obstacles are 1. her anitpathy to romance and 2. that Touko already has a devoted girlfriend waiting in the wings if her infatuation for Yuu ends.

I loved it too. Now that Touko has seemingly gotten over herself, so to speak, it is time for Yuu to do the same. I wonder if Touko reaching out to her will be what helps Yuu climb those obstacles, or if it will be something else. Or if she never will, I suppose, if one wants to entertain that possibility.

last edited at Apr 30, 2018 3:36PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

"Thank you, old me." Isn't that Bright and Cheery Arisa's line?

And I love Nurse Yuu's "tough love" therapy for people with profound cognitive injuries--a karate chop to the head for fibbing.

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

And speaking of Amnesia and YagaKimi: https://imgur.com/a/xltoa5c

And I love Nurse Yuu's "tough love" therapy for people with profound cognitive injuries--a karate chop to the head for fibbing.

I wish Yuu would EI me in the head sometimes.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

And I love Nurse Yuu's "tough love" therapy ... a karate chop to the head

Gosh, I wish that was me.

Yumi%20sachiko%20kiss%201
joined Apr 6, 2017

I loved it too. Now that Touko has seemingly gotten over herself, so to speak, it is time for Yuu to do the same. I wonder if Touko reaching out to her will be what helps Yuu climb those obstacles, or if it will be something else. Or if she never will, I suppose, if one wants to entertain that possibility.

Thing is Touko was was always the cause of Yuu's "obstacles" . Because they way Touko was Yuu wasn't allowed to admit to having feelings for Touko to Touko or to herself. Otherwise she risked everything crumbling down with her connection she did have with Touko. Now though the problem is Yuu being to locked into that mind set and not able just to let go plus thinking Touko will no longer be in love with her as she thinks Touko was using her love for Yuu as a escape that isn't needed anymore. Lot is going depend on what kind of new behavior as her "true self"Touko adopts and acts toward Yuu. Yuu clearly is in love with her though she hasn't been allowed to admit it for so long.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Was i the only one kinda underwhelmed by the whole play? I couldnt help but feel like it was just a big summary of the story (which i know it is supposed to be) but yeah...it wasnt very exciting. Maybe it's because of the way the play was told. It felt very monotone. I guess it was hard to live up to my expectations since everything before this was to build up hype for the play.

I also felt like kinda underwhelmed that Touko just accepts everything as is and has moved on from the problem? It doesnt make much sense to me since they've obviously practiced it before performing it so if she had some epiphany i would think she'd already had it. I can understand your feelings changing after the play is done because it's like finally finishing the goal to look forward to the future, but it just feels weird that it looks like Touko's already left the past behind her.

joined Jun 12, 2015

^It's not only about Touko. It's about her family, friends and future girlfriend.

joined May 20, 2013

The play was great. We know it'll have a good ending, I just hope it won't be very vague and open. Something like Touko and Yuu agreeing to go out properly, leaving behind the old conditions and reasons, then cut, the end, everything left for the reader's imagination after that... There's definitely a lot to solve yet, particularly things that are going to surface as Touko's behavior changes. The anime may start airing too soon. I wish they'd tell if it'll go ahead of the manga or if it'll go up till like the aquarium date and will have some kind of forward-looking ending... Just let it be good quality, this manga really deserves it.

last edited at Apr 30, 2018 4:32PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Lot is going depend on what kind of new behavior as her "true self"Touko adopts and acts toward Yuu. Yuu clearly is in love with her though she hasn't been allowed to admit it for so long.

That's pretty much my read too. The main thing for me is that the part of Touko that loves Yuu is the only "post-sister-simulation" part she has to build on.

Don't anyone take this the wrong way, but I'm hoping for some--but only a moderate amount of--misunderstanding to ensue between these two before everything's sorted out, just to avoid that easy-life-lesson-and-now-all's-well ending I mentioned before. We've said all along that the play itself could only put Touko in the position of getting her head on straight, and that just acting in the play wouldn't magically accomplish all the complicated emotional work that needs to get done. I certainly trust Nakatani to decide how that work should play out, but I want it to be taken seriously and not just hand-waved away.

And I've been insisting all along that Yuu has some significant emotional work to do herself, starting all the way back to the lesson that in real life "love" is much more likely to manifest itself as "I feel like I want to be with this person and to know them better" than it is in the feelings described in the "dazzling and shiny" lyrics of pop songs. (See page 1, panel 1 of the series.)

last edited at Apr 30, 2018 4:37PM

Shoujo%20kageki%20revue%20starlight%20-%2009%20-%20large%2035
joined Apr 22, 2017

Was i the only one kinda underwhelmed by the whole play? I couldnt help but feel like it was just a big summary of the story (which i know it is supposed to be) but yeah...it wasnt very exciting. Maybe it's because of the way the play was told. It felt very monotone. I guess it was hard to live up to my expectations since everything before this was to build up hype for the play.

I also felt like kinda underwhelmed that Touko just accepts everything as is and has moved on from the problem? It doesnt make much sense to me since they've obviously practiced it before performing it so if she had some epiphany i would think she'd already had it. I can understand your feelings changing after the play is done because it's like finally finishing the goal to look forward to the future, but it just feels weird that it looks like Touko's already left the past behind her.

I feel the same here. Everything up until now was directed to the play and it ended with no plot twist, nothing. It may feel more "real" with that, but I was kinda disappointed.
I didn't expect Touko reaction at all, feel like some thing is undone. The story was left like it is the end of an arc and the beginning of a new issue (Maybe focus more on Yuu now?). This whole play just seem weird...hope something will be reveal the new chapters.

Heimyfr
joined Aug 18, 2015

Deep down, Yuu has accepted that Touko is the one who needs to make the next move. But Yuu isn't expecting Touko to move on her own.
Instead Yuu will probably revert herself back into her shell, how she was in the early chapters. By thinking she can move ahead now, ill get the closure I need.

How far the drama will do, that's up to the Manga Artist. But I see Yuu quitting the student council over this.

A new arc will start.

last edited at Apr 30, 2018 4:55PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

But I see Yuu quitting the student council over this.

You may well be right about Yuu's general reaction to things--I can definitely see a "Now that you're fine we can just be friends" (or some such) move. (Among many other possibilities.)

But as to specifically quitting the SC, the one thing that we do know about Yuu's personality is that when she makes a commitment she sticks to it. So while it could happen, quitting entirely would be a pretty a major reversal since that aspect of her character was so thoroughly emphasized.

Heimyfr
joined Aug 18, 2015

But as to specifically quitting the SC, the one thing that we do know about Yuu's personality is that when she makes a commitment she sticks to it. So while it could happen, quitting entirely would be a pretty a major reversal since that aspect of her character was so thoroughly emphasized.

I don't think she ever commited to the SC. She commited doing work for Touko, something that has been brought to closure with this chapter.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Was i the only one kinda underwhelmed by the whole play?

Not just you. I was expecting the play to be underwhelming since the end of vol 5. We know the whole plot & the revised ending because of everything that happens before it, so there's nothing new aside from watching them act it out. Nakatani misses the chance of creating any sort of climax/conflict before or during the play, so everything feels flat as the result. The effect the play has on Yuu is interesting though and I'm intrigued to see further developments on Yuu's end and their relationship dynamic as a whole. So yeah, I don't like the execution of play, but I look forward to see where the story is going from here.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Gudetamago posted:

Was i the only one kinda underwhelmed by the whole play?

Not just you. I was expecting the play to be underwhelming since the end of vol 5. We know the whole plot & the revised ending because of everything that happens before it, so there's nothing new aside from watching them act it out. Nakatani misses the chance of creating any sort of climax/conflict before or during the play, so everything feels flat as the result. The effect the play has on Yuu is interesting though and I'm intrigued to see further developments on Yuu's end and their relationship dynamic as a whole. So yeah, I don't like the execution of play, but I look forward to see where the story is going from here.

I like the play but yeah there was nothing to look forward in the next chapters... Maybe is the calm before the storm.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

I imagine one of the scrapped endings to be: "The nurse karate-chops the main character on the head and suddenly she remembers everything. The end." :þ

Otherwise… Yeah. The execution felt really flat outside of a few pages here and there. It had to be done, obviously, but I wish Nakatani hadn't shown all her cards beforehand. Now her narration style has always been minimalistic so I didn't expect dramatic flourish or anything, but she played things a bit too safe here.

But well, the last few pages announce some interesting developments at least.

Images
joined Feb 9, 2015

Congratulations! Bloom in to you anime was announced and it will premiere in October 2018.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

(some of this is in response to you and the people talking about the play being anticlimactic, the rest of it is me springboarding into my own thoughts on this chapter)

It wasn't just them acting it out. It's the way the play relates to Touko's inner conflict and the catharsis she draws by having THE PLAY be about what she is supposed to do when THE PLAY is over. It's true that the play itself is uneventful, and I admit I was hoping for some little sliver of last minute improv or for things to go wrong, but I don't think it was empty. You can see the gears turning in Touko's head now that she's finally acting it out and now that she is finally in the head of her character, and you can see Yuu expressing herself through her character. That whack on the head was probably sincerely given. ;p But honestly, If the play seems anticlimactic, that's because the play is not the climax. The climax of this chapter isn't the the start, middle, or climax of the play, the climax of this chapter is deliberately the -end- of the play. That's when all of Touko's issues come together, and that's when the tension is at it's height.

It is definitely about the effect the play will have on the rest of the dynamics, too. We can already see that the play itself has made inroads on helping tie her back to her parents, but it's also allowed her to say goodbye to her sister in a really important, meaningful way...She's been carrying her sister's legacy this whole time, without any idea of what she will do afterwards. Will she continue to play her sister's role forever? Will she just stop? Contrary to what some people have thought, I don't think suicide was ever on Touko's mind, but in a world where Yuu isn't helping orchestrate cathartic narrative experiences for her to act out as therapy, I could see a version of events where she loses interest in everything, and gives up emotionally, falling into depression. Or she could spend the rest of her life pretending to be her sister because she has nothing else to fall back on, leading her to do things she doesn't want to do and live a life that she is fundamentally unsatisfied with.

But fortunately, Yuu exists and is a perfect cinnamon bun, so we get play as therapy and Touko is able to say goodbye to her sister, let go of the expectations, let go of the act, and be herself around everyone for pretty much the first time in years.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bloom_into_you_ch31#37 The bottom of this page is so telling on so many levels. On one hand, obviously, there's the subtext that she hadn't even thought about what comes after the play. On the other, that outburst? That's something she would NEVER have let slip when she had her front up. It's that side of herself that she had previously only let Yuu see, which is why Yuu is worried at the end. She isn't special to Nanami anymore, so while she's happy that the play seems to have had exactly the effect she hoped it would have, she's also afraid that it might mean her being left behind.

Edit: You know, this whole time I've been seeing Yuu's expanded nurse role as the way she put her own voice into the play, but the reaction of the girlfriend (which is certainly post-rewrite, since she was originally going to be the way her girlfriend knew her) also very much reflects Yuu's doubts and fears about being left behind. It makes me wonder if Yuu had any input to that part of the script, but even if not, it's clear that she is conscious of that resonance.

last edited at Apr 30, 2018 8:34PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.