Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

Heavensrun posted:
Yeah, a lot of people overlook the strong foreshadowing. It's not a mistake that Risako shows up right at the end of that conversation (late, as if she was...busy with something?)

That's sort of the downside to an ongoing series that updates monthly rather than weekly. Even if the foreshadowing is pretty plainly there, unless you're binge reading from the beginning or enjoy frequently revisiting old chapters, it's really easy to forget little touches like that, so it still -feels- random.

That might be more of a me thing, but it's one of the more specific reasons I wish these kinds of series would have chapters that are more self-contained.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I still strongly suspect that his feelings of affection towards Kaoru are not the main reason he is with her. He likes her, he's known her forever, but I think he married her and stays with her out of some kind of guilt. Time will tell if I'm right on this, but it seems pretty likely he doesn't love her the way she loves him, or probably the way he loves Risako.

I think you make a bunch of really good points that I've never really thought about before. Maybe he really is staying with her out of guilt- that's a possibility that I think isn't much of a stretch. Reminds me of the Commander in The Handmaid's Tale- he was kind to Offred only because he felt guilty about the previous handmaid being so miserable and killing herself. Maybe it's something like that? Or even something else, like pity; or maybe they just didn't think their marriage through very well.
Whatever it is, I don't think their relationship is based on just love. And even if it is, a very watered down version of it.
Well, guess we just have to wait until more chapters to find out more, won't we. I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait though. Great series.

We still don't know what happened in their background. We know there was some kind of drama involving parents. Uta was the only family at their wedding. We know Kaoru feels partly responsible for Uta and Reiichi's parents splitting up, but we don't know why. We know Reiichi turned down Kaoru several times until finally coming around, and we know he used to have a thing with Risako in school. I think it was also implied that Kaoru's mom or maybe both her parents passed away? So that may or may not have something to do with it all.

There are definitely indications of a serious flustercuck in their past, that sets the stage for where they are now.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Heavensrun posted:
Yeah, a lot of people overlook the strong foreshadowing. It's not a mistake that Risako shows up right at the end of that conversation (late, as if she was...busy with something?)

That's sort of the downside to an ongoing series that updates monthly rather than weekly. Even if the foreshadowing is pretty plainly there, unless you're binge reading from the beginning or enjoy frequently revisiting old chapters, it's really easy to forget little touches like that, so it still -feels- random.

That might be more of a me thing, but it's one of the more specific reasons I wish these kinds of series would have chapters that are more self-contained.

On the series I like, I tend to regularly go back to read older chapters to renew my understanding of the new stuff. I deeply appreciate the touches like that, which reveal themselves with a second reading.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch05#13 I also kinda wonder if the first few panels on this page aren't a bit of foreshadowing as well.

is 15 raw out yet

why can't this progress like 1x1/2

last edited at Apr 22, 2018 11:08PM by

Bgs_icon-small
joined Apr 11, 2018

-Also, deciding to put the cliffhanger there just means to me that she won't confess. At least, that's typically the way things go.

Agreed.
If she was going to confess, that would have been the cliffhanger.

7okxlebd
joined Oct 28, 2017

gasp I can't wait! I want the next chapter! I have to see Uta confess her feelings to Kaoru! >∆< Aaahh! The suspense is killing me!! I look forward to the next chapter. Very very much.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

-Also, deciding to put the cliffhanger there just means to me that she won't confess. At least, that's typically the way things go.

Agreed.
If she was going to confess, that would have been the cliffhanger.

Quite likely this. There's two types of cliffhangers. There's the ones where they actually go off the cliff, and they rely on the OH SHIT reaction to draw you back to see the fallout from the major event, and there's the ones where the person is dangling by a pinky from the cliff, and they will almost -always- be saved.

There are rare exceptions in the latter type, tho.

If the next episode comes back, and we've skipped past the moment, and things are weird? That usually means she -did- confess, and it will come back to the moment, generally at the end of that issue, to explain how things got the way they were at the beginning of the issue.

joined Mar 6, 2016

is 15 raw out yet

Low key thought the same Thing

joined Oct 13, 2015

I just caught up on three chapters. But i don't rememeber the brother being such a bastard. I actually liked his character. But in the last few, it's as though the mangaka has been changing his personality so that we would dislike him and to give reasons for divorce.
Maybe a missed earlier hints but this felt very sudden and a little bit forced.
Anyone else feel the same?

There was foreshadowing dropped at the very beginning. Comments about cheating, he's always late, he's always forgetting things, Risako is late to the reunion with Kaoru and gives the same kind of excuses as Reiichi.

But I don't think his personality is changing at all. People have this image in their mind that only dispicable assholes cheat, and it is definitely true that when someone cheats, they are -being- a dispicable asshole at least in that moment, but people are complex. A person can be a shitty husband but a good brother. They can love their wife but still have feelings they can't let go of for someone else. A lot of people feel uncomfortable with that, but it's the reality of it.

I still strongly suspect that his feelings of affection towards Kaoru are not the main reason he is with her. He likes her, he's known her forever, but I think he married her and stays with her out of some kind of guilt. Time will tell if I'm right on this, but it seems pretty likely he doesn't love her the way she loves him, or probably the way he loves Risako.

Maybe i should reread this then. It may be more obvious when you know what will take place later.
i'm just a little dissapointed because the idea that the brother may be a good person (though imperfect) makes this a difficult manga to take sides. Yes, i want a yuri ending but if the married couple are happy and good to one another, it would be wrong to break them up. Which is the percieved dilemma.
So you think the character hasn't changed but rather the problems are more obvious and blatant? That actually seems more likely.

Thank you for this. I may need a reread.

last edited at Apr 23, 2018 3:49AM

B61e85481cd305c6139d74d53e7100cf--pixel-ideas
joined Sep 20, 2017

HOLY SHIT SHE'S GONNA DO IT

Fb_img_1505910576160
joined Jan 8, 2016

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

is 15 raw out yet

^^^^^^^THIS GUYS, save discussing plot until we know. Anyone know if chapter 15 is available right now to be translated? Because it f#^&$?& should be! Gah!!!

last edited at Apr 23, 2018 6:35AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

i'm just a little dissapointed because the idea that the brother may be a good person (though imperfect) makes this a difficult manga to take sides.

Reiichi has been shown to be a crappy husband since his first non-flashback appearance in the story—we see him forgetting their anniversary and sort of shrugging it off. He hasn’t been shown to be malicious, as cheaters usually are in these stories, but betraying your wife only not being overtly mean about it is a pretty low bar for “good person.”

joined Dec 13, 2013

I rlly love this series, but the really slow passing is making me lose a bit of interest, especially bc of the long wait (2 months or more for one chapter that sometimes adds little to nothing). i have a fear this will rlly not end well, which is so sad

joined Jan 8, 2014

Ack! Cliffhanger! Will she? Wont she? I want the nxt chapter! Lol

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Then, next chapter switches to the husband and his antics with his mistress, thus prolonging the cliffhanger.

Trollolol...

last edited at Apr 23, 2018 9:03AM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Then, next chapter switches to the husband and his antics with his mistress, thus prolonging the cliffhanger.

Trollolol...

I still suspect that they're going to run across them during the trip.

Soo%20nice
joined May 10, 2013

It's just a dream, forget it.

Dynasty%20avatar
joined Sep 10, 2017

fml I really have a bad feeling about that. Just confess!! then move on or suicide or sth, any progress would be better than a cliffhanger...

Bae
joined Jun 11, 2017

is 15 raw out yet

^^^^^^^THIS GUYS, save discussing plot until we know. Anyone know if chapter 15 is available right now to be translated? Because it f#^&$?& should be! Gah!!!

We didn't get any new chapter last month, so chapter 15 will be available in may. (Chapter 14 was out in this April YH)

last edited at Apr 23, 2018 1:18PM

18e
joined Aug 16, 2017

gogo uta!

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

fuck this im so dissapointed of this one i preffer to read a simple but honest manga that knows what is going for like 1x1/2 than a manga that makes you think is gona be good original and then goes the safe way and get cliche as fuck

i really thought this mangas was going to be a bitter sweet well written story about a girl getting over her platonic and urequited love then finding a new love but nope is just your usual my husband/boyfriend cheatonme/doesntloveme/hitsme so now im lesbian stuff

last edited at Apr 24, 2018 1:41AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

benja posted:

i really thought this mangas was going to be a bitter sweet well written story about a girl getting over her platonic and urequited love then finding a new love but nope is just your usual my husband/boyfriend cheatonme/doesntloveme/hitsme so now im lesbian stuff

Yea, I really wished the drama would come from them being actually loving wife and husband and Uta having to deal with it rather than the typical, he is terrible, cheats on her and there is whole drama their marriage is not happy.

Femaleshepardredd
joined Apr 7, 2018

Is she going to kiss her?.......( ⊙‿⊙)

Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

Was there a new chapter or something that hasn't been uploaded yet or are people just speculating from the most recent chapter's cliffhanger?

To reply you must either login or sign up.