Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Why does it feel like we're missing stuff from the ending of chapter 14 and the start of 15?
We might go back to it next time.. But feels off reading it like that. Then again.. Maybe i missed something

This is a common narrative trick. I mentioned it in one of my earlier posts as a possible outcome of the cliffhanger last time. When you leave a cliffhanger the way that last chapter does, if the cliffhanger actually goes the way it seems like it's going do, they often won't show it (because if the chapter starts with the big drama, it undercuts the suspense of the chapter) so what they do is they skip ahead to some point after the immediate fallout, play it coy for awhile, and then at the end of the chapter start to unveil what's actually going on.

I knew as soon as this issue didn't show us the resolution of the cliffhanger that Uta had confessed. The rest of the story is to tease us with "But what -happened-? Did they kiss? Did they bang? Are they a thing now, or are they desperately trying to retreat from the gravity of the confession?"

I suspect we might get a flashback to the actual confession/kiss/whatever it was, for the sake of clarity, now that they've milked the suspense a bit, or we might just get a description of it.

last edited at May 29, 2018 1:47PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I feel a discrepancy here. She hypothesizes on the person Uta likes, then states she knows Uta likes her?

Even if she confessed at the hotel, Kaoru shouldn't wonder who "that person" is.

I think at the end she's turning over the possibilities she was considering before Uta confessed/kissed her/whatever happened to make it clear. Or she was harboring a bit of denial, maybe.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Heavensrun posted:

I feel a discrepancy here. She hypothesizes on the person Uta likes, then states she knows Uta likes her?

Even if she confessed at the hotel, Kaoru shouldn't wonder who "that person" is.

I think at the end she's turning over the possibilities she was considering before Uta confessed/kissed her/whatever happened to make it clear. Or she was harboring a bit of denial, maybe.

It is pretty clear until that point she was trying to act normal and did not think about what happened, until she realized she was just running out from truth and denying reality. She was still convincing herself somehow that maybe there was some misunderstanding in what Uta told her.

last edited at May 29, 2018 1:52PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Heavensrun posted:

The 3rd panel here https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch15#28 confused me because the sentence is in the present tense: "Perhaps, the person she likes..."

But, the last panel supports your idea, because it states "what could have been".

Maybe a translation glitch in the 3rd panel.

Blye_Flamsteed
Evavatar
joined May 8, 2018

Finally she knows Uta loves her \o/
But I'm a little disapointed the autor dodged the after-confession part. I hope we will not wait too long until we see what happened

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Blye_Flamsteed posted:

Finally she knows Uta loves her \o/
But I'm a little disapointed the autor dodged the after-confession part. I hope we will not wait too long until we see what happened

IMO, Uta kissed her.

Seeing she touches her own lips, it's obvious.

joined Aug 11, 2014

I kinda think Uta didn't explicitly confess, but she gave Kaoru such an extremely deliberate Meaningful Look that Kaoru couldn't help but understand anyway. But it's Kaoru we're talking about, so even so she knows, she was completely in denial about it, and spends most of chapter 15 in a weird limbo of trying to pretend that nothing happened and everything is completely normal, while also being extremely conscious of Uta, hesitating to wake her up in the morning, not talking about love charms, feeling startled to find herself in Uta's arms when she fell, etc. Wondering about older people from Uta's work or school was her last attempt at avoiding the issue, until she finally admits to herself that she knows very well who Uta's in love with.

That might end up being the most significant difference between the two siblings: they both harbor messy and uncomfortable secrets that radically threaten Kaoru's status quo, but while she tries to gloss over and ignore Reiichi's secret no matter how obvious it becomes, she can't help but be honest about Uta.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Gale posted:

That might end up being the most significant difference between the two siblings: they both harbor messy and uncomfortable secrets that radically threaten Kaoru's status quo, but while she tries to gloss over and ignore Reiichi's secret no matter how obvious it becomes, she can't help but be honest about Uta.

It isn't. She was avoiding it at first, just like with Uta, but then decided to confront Reiichi about it. He was the one to blow her off and cut the conversation, after which she had no second chance to bring the topic yet. The important talk they are supposedly going to have after he returns, might as well be about or at least in part about this.

Smk_compress
joined Jan 16, 2017

That skip from last chapter tho. I like the tension and stuff but man...

Here goes another month

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Heavensrun posted:

The 3rd panel here https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch15#28 confused me because the sentence is in the present tense: "Perhaps, the person she likes..."

But, the last panel supports your idea, because it states "what could have been".

Maybe a translation glitch in the 3rd panel.

The page you linked ties directly into this one, I think. Basically, Kaoru was fantasising how they could have stayed a normal family if Uta fell in love with one of the people from her scenarios, but instead, Uta fell in love with her.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Yeah, but. "If the person is as ordinary as what I imagined" sounds awkward.

I feel the sentence should be "If the person had been as ordinary as what I imagined, we could have stayed.."

In both pages, it switches between present tense and conditional tense and it feels wrong.

last edited at May 29, 2018 2:53PM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

I feel the sentence should be "If the person had been as ordinary as what I imagined, we could have stayed.."

True, and the third panel you pointed out would have probably been clearer if they used "could have been", as they did in the fifth panel of that page.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

https://www.ef.com/english-resources/english-grammar/perfect-continuous-conditional/

Clearly, in a proper sentence, the if clause should be in past perfect tense.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So what’s the deal with Uta and Reiichi’s mother? And do we know for certain that they both have the same mother and father?

I quite like the art in this series (although that neck shading with vertical lines where they look like they’re all wearing high-neck sweaters is kind of weird). I like these characters, in that I’m truly interested in what’s going on with almost everybody. I’m very interested in seeing how things will turn out, and I don’t mind a slow pace in getting there. Even the scenes are sometimes interestingly staged.

But I’m getting more than a little sick of this water-torture drip-drip of tiny hints about the backstory with their families and the past that has resulted in the present-day situation. I don’t mind when authors use hints about the past to ramp up the tension in a domestic drama, but this just seems like an author coyly implying important things that we need to know about but never clarifying what they are.

(I’m pretty sure I’ve made the exact same point before, and I’ll try not to do it again. But fuckin’ A.)

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Blastaar posted:
But I’m getting more than a little sick of this water-torture drip-drip of tiny hints about the backstory with their families and the past that has resulted in the present-day situation. I don’t mind when authors use hints about the past to ramp up the tension in a domestic drama, but this just seems like an author coyly implying important things that we need to know about but never clarifying what they are.

It's a typical Japanese way of telling stories.

Everything is eventually revealed, but hints are slowly given to keep the reader on their toes guessing and building the dramatic tension. It's to keep the reader interested in knowing wtf is up and buy the next issue.

Nothing surprising here.

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

Star the cheating already!
The manga is very uneventful the point I think will be better as a novel.

joined Mar 15, 2017

It's foreshadowing. If you actually think through the alternatives, this is the right way to handle something that will eventually be revealed and become relevant from the history of the characters.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nya-chan posted:

In both pages, it switches between present tense and conditional tense and it feels wrong.

Are you seriously telling me the way someone translate sentences matter? That translating them wrong or awkwardly can make understanding manga harder? I thought quality of translation didn't matter as long as you can understand it and it is free anyway. Why are you criticizing it? I thought as long someone is translating it, it is good enough and we should praise them. After all only a squad of grumpy seasoned readers would complain about it. What if they decided to drop it after your complain? You yourself said rewriting entire sentences is ok so I don't understand why you have a issue with such minor details. I hope Chaosteam will make next chapter sound even more awkward, because that is their style.

joined Jun 30, 2016

ohh she knows! and for what she said, "an ordinary person" she mean someone that wont look bad in the eyes of the society, someone "normal" since she knows that Uta is in love with her, aka not and ordinary person, a girl, her sister in law, she said that.

last edited at May 29, 2018 3:28PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

BadPanda posted:

ohh she knows! and for what she said, "an ordinary person" she mean someone that wont look bad in the eyes of the society, someone "normal" since she knows that Uta is in love with her, aka not and ordinary person, a girl, her sister in law, she said that.

Lol no? Someone normal as, not me who is married to her brother and we can't be together. For now there is not even a slight hint she even consider dating Uta in any way, shape or form whatsoever.

last edited at May 29, 2018 3:30PM

joined Jun 3, 2017

BadPanda posted:

Lol no? Someone normal as, not me who is married to her brother and we can't be together. For now there is not even a slight hint she even consider dating Uta in any way, shape or form whatsoever.

True

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Nevri posted:

Nya-chan posted:

Are you seriously telling me the way someone translate sentences matter? That translating them wrong or awkwardly can make understanding manga harder? I thought quality of translation didn't matter as long as you can understand it and it is free anyway. Why are you criticizing it? I thought as long someone is translating it, it is good enough and we should praise them. After all only a squad of grumpy seasoned readers would complain about it. What if they decided to drop it after your complain? You yourself said rewriting entire sentences is ok so I don't understand why you have a issue with such minor details. I hope Chaosteam will make next chapter sound even more awkward, because that is their style.

Both cases are obviously different. The posts you link to are about how MrCatt took liberties with the expressions and idioms, not with the grammar. I don't recall having been confused about what happened in that chapter. And MrCatt is a single person, not a team. Much can be forgiven, especially since it's a manga that had been dropped.

In this case, it was not only sounding awkward, the whole meaning of the sequence became ambiguous and it's a pretty important moment in the manga. I had trouble understanding why she spoke about Uta's love interested as if it was someone else she didn't know, just before saying it was her.

And by the way, it was not a criticism, but a demand for clarification and later an explanation of why I was confused.

I don't know why you pounce on me lately. Maybe I irritate you for some reason and I'm sorry.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nya-chan posted:

Both cases are obviously different.

They aren't.

The posts you link to are about how MrCatt took liberties with the expressions and idioms, not with the grammar.

He didn't. He added stuff that was not there and rewrote sentences so they would sound funnier/better to him. Also added cursing that did not existed in original. In fact, he didn't rewrite a single expression or idiom. Nice attempt to twist the truth.

And MrCatt is a single person, not a team. Much can be forgiven, especially since it's a manga that had been dropped.

So if it just 1 person quality can be shit? But when it is a team you can expect more? And if it is a already dropped manga, you should be happy anyone is even working on it, even if the quality is the worst trash possible? Who decides on those rules?

If people are ok with it, then fine. Let's all start rewriting mangas! Much less work to do and nobody can complain since it wasn't translated anyway.

I don't know why you pounce on me lately. Maybe I irritate you for some reason and I'm sorry.

With your pathological need to go against majority and trying to defend the most controversial opinion possible. Plenty of people said My Cute Little Kitten translation was terrible, while pointing out issues, but for some reason you went ahead defending it, saying translator can do w/e he wants to, the series was dead anyway, so who cares if he is not being faithful to source material, if you can't do better job, you can't criticize him and your only option is to read his version. In fact you encouraged him to ignore criticism and keep on doing whatever the hell he wants with it in order to keep trolling and angering people on dynasty. And who would benefit from it the most? You, by having more opportunities to have fun by messing with more people being annoyed at terrible translation.

After that, you going anywhere and complaining about any kind of problem with any translation is just the most hypocritical thing I ever saw. It will hunt you forever.

You used to have a clear ideology, but now it seems like you just go against majority and stir controversy for fun, as if actual discussion didn't matter to you anymore.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I don't see where I "stir controversy" when I point that a sequence in this chapter wasn't clear to me because of a couple awkward sentences, but whatever floats your boat. I just said it was maybe a "glitch"... woooo... that was harsh criticism, for sure...

Maybe ever since you translated some manga you became overly sensitive to criticism about it, but that doesn't concern me. And people who would get angry at this aren't worth my time.

Over and out.

joined Dec 13, 2013

I’m confused, did Uta kiss Kaoru? Chapter 14 looked like kt but the author didn’t make the scene..........

To reply you must either login or sign up.